Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

No wonder Mays bailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

AndrewP posted:

No wonder Mays bailed.

I'm sure the people you've heard of are compensated pretty well

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
anti-moonlighting policies aren't unusual but i can't see being a writer as a position that seriously merits them

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

I'm sure the people you've heard of are compensated pretty well

Those people are also allowed to do stuff outside the ringer. Like Shea writes books on the side and has all his self publishing stuff and a lot of them, including Simmons, do stuff with HBO. I guess it's a little fuzzy as to whether or not that counts as outside work given that HBO owned some percentage of the site but still kind of a bad look when you're telling someone who can't make rent that they can't get a night job.

This is also a particularly funny/infuriating example because Bill has made working as a bartender at one point in his 20s (when his parents were probably paying his rent) part of his whole everyman mythology.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 16, 2020

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

anti-moonlighting policies aren't unusual but i can't see being a writer as a position that seriously merits them

In media its almost always used in terms of direct conflicts and its usually when it comes to working for two competing platforms/conglomerates. Its odd that they didn't want someone to work in a service industry job. Plus you see much closer "competitor" spaces letting people do double duty. Showing up as a on air person for Fox Sports on the weekend and doing NFL Network stuff during the week.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

soggybagel posted:

In media its almost always used in terms of direct conflicts and its usually when it comes to working for two competing platforms/conglomerates. Its odd that they didn't want someone to work in a service industry job. Plus you see much closer "competitor" spaces letting people do double duty. Showing up as a on air person for Fox Sports on the weekend and doing NFL Network stuff during the week.

I am going to assume without looking that the one night off a week meant he wasn't doing 9-5 hours? But still, really weird for the reason you pointed out. Moonlight rules are almost always only enforced for conflicts.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/cbrennansports/status/1306241900962353158

the jerry sandusky and larry nassar erasure is something

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean it's dumb but it's not even the dumbest thing big ten schools have done in the last, like, two months. Opening schools in the first place is way dumber and more dangerous than playing football, at least as far as covid goes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/cbrennansports/status/1306241900962353158

the jerry sandusky and larry nassar erasure is something

Unavailable, what did it say?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Lockback posted:

Unavailable, what did it say?

Basically that the Big Ten’s decision to play football this fall was the darkest day for the conference, that it brought it down the the level of the SEC, basically implying it was a real shining city on a hill before today.

Not a disgusting take, just wildly tone deaf.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 16, 2020

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
On the flip side, we have this magnificent take:

https://twitter.com/dhookstead/status/1306215784348180481

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I assumed that guy was doing a bit until I saw he was a Daily Caller writer.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/dhookstead/status/1306304864738213895?s=19

I wanna give this nerd a wedgie

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Zero Dark 3rd and 10

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

I assumed that guy was doing a bit until I saw he was a Daily Caller writer.

No he's been like that for a long time, I got blocked by him months ago for making fun of him

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DJExile posted:

Zero Dark 3rd and 10

a little tortured but clever

b+

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Wonder why he left out Illinois, Northwestern, and MSU? (As an Illinois alum I know full well why it's fine to leave us out of a football-related thing, though.) (edit: just noticed he put in Wisconsin twice - who else am I blanking on, then?)(edit: ah, Minnesota)

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Sarcastro posted:

Wonder why he left out Illinois, Northwestern, and MSU? (As an Illinois alum I know full well why it's fine to leave us out of a football-related thing, though.) (edit: just noticed he put in Wisconsin twice - who else am I blanking on, then?)(edit: ah, Minnesota)
Side question: I am Canadian and do not understand anything about mass-appeal college sports, but why is this conference called the Big Ten instead of the Big Fourteen or whatever?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Albino Squirrel posted:

Side question: I am Canadian and do not understand anything about mass-appeal college sports, but why is this conference called the Big Ten instead of the Big Fourteen or whatever?

It was ten teams for long enough (like 70 years) that they felt they had a lot of brand equity built into the “Big Ten” moniker. Same reason the Big 12 remains the Big 12, despite being ten teams.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Same reason it’s still 7-11 even though they’re open 24 hours now

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

General Dog posted:

It was ten teams for long enough (like 70 years) that they felt they had a lot of brand equity built into the “Big Ten” moniker. Same reason the Big 12 remains the Big 12, despite being ten teams.
This makes me irrationally angry. I mean, not as angry as college players not being paid for supporting a billion dollar industry, but still.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Aggro posted:

If there was a strong enough demand for an all-obscure sports or all-women’s sports blog, I’m sure it would exist.

markets are not actually efficient

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

more or less, they started having 10 teams in the 40s or 50s, and eventually ended up adding an 11th team in Penn State in the 90s and had that hidden 11 logo during that time

now that they're up to like 16 teams (counting ND and Hopkins) they redid the logo to hide a 16 in it

Albino Squirrel posted:

This makes me irrationally angry. I mean, not as angry as college players not being paid for supporting a billion dollar industry, but still.

don't you guys have a department store that sells more than just tires called "Canadian Tire"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 17, 2020

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Albino Squirrel posted:

The other fun thing was that for years a subset of the Big 10 also competed in another sports conference just for hockey. Rip CCHA.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

(counting ND and Hopkins) "

what

Also the new log is supposed to be BIG with the I and G forming the letter 10, not a 16.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

howe_sam posted:

The other fun thing was that for years a subset of the Big 10 also competed in another sports conference just for hockey. Rip CCHA.

Hockey conferences are a loving trip.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hopkins is in the B1G for lacrosse, ND for hockey.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CCHA owned because eastern time zone teams were sharing a conference with Alaska Fairbanks

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Big Ten having eleven schools for a while did give it the chance to use a fun negative space logo.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Hockey conferences are a loving trip.

I legit miss the WCHA more than expected.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Hopkins is in the B1G for lacrosse, ND for hockey.

that is not what the logo is doing lol. The G is supposed to look like a zero. For 10. The number in the conference name.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Big Ten having eleven schools for a while did give it the chance to use a fun negative space logo.

That second "1" is incredibly lazy

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

don't you guys have a department store that sells more than just tires called "Canadian Tire"
hey, I didn't say I was rationally angry

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ladies and Gentlemen, mister Steve Simmons:

https://twitter.com/Kayla_Grey/status/1306651380883521536

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The smallest of pet peeves I know, but poo poo like this, "Lightning Oust Islanders in OT, reach first Stanley Cup since 2015" really bugs me. It's the first since 2015 part, like wow, 5 whole years! It's just seems really odd to me that this needs to be emphasized so much it's in the headline. This was from The Athletic, but I see that all the time in reference to all sorts of things from all sorts of news agencies.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think they're trying to get the historical context in the headline and there's no other way to phrase it.

I guess they could say "Lightning reach Stanley Cup five years after their last appearance"

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I think everyone gets a pass this year, or they can add 100 years on to any length of time and not need to correct it. I'm more pissed Bettman's southern strategy works again. It should be something like Jets/Islanders every year damnit :freep:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

AndrewP posted:

I think they're trying to get the historical context in the headline and there's no other way to phrase it.

I guess they could say "Lightning reach Stanley Cup five years after their last appearance"

Yea, I get what they're going for, it just seems silly to me because it seems to be putting an emphasis on the time, when 5 years to make finals is a really short time. I just see it a lot, like first time team has thrown a no hitter in three years, when that is kind of short period of time for something like that. I think it's just something that doesn't need to be said in a headline. Like 20 years? Sure, that actually seems worth saying something.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I barely follow hockey but hasn't their thing recently been being really awesome in the regular season and then falling apart in the playoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

MourningView posted:

I barely follow hockey but hasn't their thing recently been being really awesome in the regular season and then falling apart in the playoffs

also last year this happened (after winning 62 games and then getting swept by Columbus, a team up until then had never won a playoff series)
https://twitter.com/TBLightning/status/1118332281825968128?s=20