Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed getting stuck somewhere in a 2D world that tried to be 3D. Yeah, looking at you Kings Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Leperflesh posted:

I probably didn't find every single way to die in Space Quest III, but boy howdy I sure tried.

SQ3 and the SQ1 remake are wonderful (Sierra bullshit aside), and both have the best deaths and death messages :swoon:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I remember playing Police Quest and finding it highly unrealistic that the game punished you for not following procedure. Surely I should be able to murder anyone who crosses my path with only minimal consequences.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I remember playing Police Quest and finding it highly unrealistic that the game punished you for not following procedure. Surely I should be able to murder anyone who crosses my path with only minimal consequences.

They fixed that in Police Quest SWAT (the lovely FMV game), in which shooting somebody the instant you see them results in a sternish talking-to and paid time off until you are cleared of any wrongdoing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Technically it was fixed in Police Quest 4: We loving hired Daryl Gates for this one.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
1970s os 80s slasher films and someone being chased by the killer is fumbling with the car keys. And they put the door key in the ignition or the ignition key in the door.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Alternatively, any movie where the killer is in the backseat even though you have a laser-cut microchipped key with six car alarms, it's like wow, you're in the wrong business, how'd you even get in here?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

wesleywillis posted:

1970s os 80s slasher films and someone being chased by the killer is fumbling with the car keys. And they put the door key in the ignition or the ignition key in the door.

Aren't they the same key?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Not sure if this was already covered in this thread, but something I noticed in a show recently was “phone tag preventing important communication from happening” being used as a dramatic device repeatedly. For upper class, smart phone-owning borderline millennial/GenX characters who we know regularly text and email each other.

It’s a classic trope from the latter half of the 20th century, so it’s probably not entirely lost on audiences, but it just felt weirdly anachronistic in a show taking place in like 2017. Enough so that it really dragged down the show despite otherwise decent/good sitcom writing.

it was Workin Moms

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I had a car where they were different, but it was because the door lock had to be replaced and they couldn't be made to match.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Tiggum posted:

No.
Up till probably the mid 90s most cars had separate keys for door and ignition.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

No.
Up till probably the mid 90s most cars had separate keys for door and ignition.

Depending on car model, you probably shared a key with at least a few others in the parking lot because immobilizers weren't always a thing, and there are only so many cuts of keys...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And the word "most" is very relevant. Some cars used the same key.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My 1970’s era car had a separate key for the glove box/trunk. Because that makes sense.

Also if your car was ever repo’d you were probably stuck with 2 keys. Depends if the car was locked or not when they picked it up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

My 1970’s era car had a separate key for the glove box/trunk. Because that makes sense.

Also if your car was ever repo’d you were probably stuck with 2 keys. Depends if the car was locked or not when they picked it up.

A separate key for the glove box/trunk meant you could give the main key to a valet to go park your car, but they couldn't easily steal all your valuable stuff you locked in the glove box/trunk.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

A separate key for the glove box/trunk meant you could give the main key to a valet to go park your car, but they couldn't easily steal all your valuable stuff you locked in the glove box/trunk.

A lot of cars still have valet keys that can’t open the trunk.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

That makes sense.

But those automotive engineers were awfully presumptuous if they thought a valet was ever going to get within 50 feet of my 1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle. Also, it was so easy to break into I managed to open it up with my art brushes once.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

My 09 corolla has a valet key too.

Its good for taking to the beach, I can keep it in my pocket in the water, and don't have to worry about shorting out the keyless entry brick-a-brack on the main key, which I typically leave stashed in the car.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

My 09 corolla has a valet key too.

Its good for taking to the beach, I can keep it in my pocket in the water, and don't have to worry about shorting out the keyless entry brick-a-brack on the main key, which I typically leave stashed in the car.

Aren’t you not able to lock the car if the keyless entry fob is inside?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

RCarr posted:

uh

well, you see, he has an object known as a "key", which, when physically inserted into the lock, can be turned in order to lock the door

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Some cars actively prevent that from working (by immediately unlocking the doors) if the fob is inside. This is to keep you from locking your key in the car.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Jazerus posted:

uh

well, you see, he has an object known as a "key", which, when physically inserted into the lock, can be turned in order to lock the door

They're asking about being unable to lock the door, not being unable to unlock it. Our Toyota's doors will not lock if it detects that the key fob is still in the car.

e: re-read your post, my bad. Granted I've never tried to overrule that feature by manually locking the door with another key, so maybe that works?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A lot of cars still have valet keys that can’t open the trunk.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there's barely any demand for sedans anymore, and that manufacturers are on the verge of just not making them. So I'd give that one about ten years or less to become topical to this thread.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shine posted:

They're asking about being unable to lock the door, not being unable to unlock it. Our Toyota's doors will not lock if it detects that the key fob is still in the car.

sure i understand, i just couldn't resist

car features vary a lot by make and model and version. the fobs have been around a lot longer than cars which won't let you lock them if the fob is inside, and i was surprised that rcarr was asking about it, because in my experience the "won't lock if fob is inside" feature is much less common than the ones that permit it.

seems bizarre to me that you can have the key and not the fob, but it's the fob that the car considers more important to not lock in, honestly.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Pff. I had a screenshot of this error message but lost it off the clipboard. Anyways...not quite older media a la tv/films, but it reminded me of this thread.

I was setting up my desktop that's been in storage for a few months, and needed to coax it into finding an internet connection. Windows 10 "helpfully" asked if I had an ethernet cable hitched up, explaining [paraphrasing]: "an ethernet cable looks like a telephone cable but with bigger plugs".

How many people under a certain age know what a phone cable looks like? Nowadays one would describe a phone cable the other way around, "like an ethernet cable but with smaller plugs".

Also this depends on country, not everywhere is America. Round here we have these -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bri...rd%20BS%206312.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there's barely any demand for sedans anymore, and that manufacturers are on the verge of just not making them. So I'd give that one about ten years or less to become topical to this thread.

That's the notion that the automakers are pushing, but it has more to do with pickups and SUVs being popular on the American market and much more profitable than it does with actual consumer demand.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Jazerus posted:

uh

Every car I’ve had with keyless entry didn’t have lock cylinders on the doors. That’s the whole point of keyless entry...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gnoman posted:

That's the notion that the automakers are pushing, but it has more to do with pickups and SUVs being popular on the American market and much more profitable than it does with actual consumer demand.

Kind of, but automakers do want to sell smaller cars, if only to improve CAFE numbers so they can keep selling those higher profit SUV’s and trucks.

Americans really don’t like sedans anymore. Even Accord and Camry sales have been going down. Crossovers killed the smaller car market.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

RCarr posted:

Every car I’ve had with keyless entry didn’t have lock cylinders on the doors. That’s the whole point of keyless entry...

:ssh: there's a physical lock on the driver's door under a fascia of some sort

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

RCarr posted:

maybe that's become a thing in the last decade or so? fobs were originally just for convenience, not to replace the physical key entirely

besides if they have a valet key then they clearly have a physical lock

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Kind of, but automakers do want to sell smaller cars, if only to improve CAFE numbers so they can keep selling those higher profit SUV’s and trucks.

Americans really don’t like sedans anymore. Even Accord and Camry sales have been going down. Crossovers killed the smaller car market.

It makes me sad. I'm a sedan man, but the American auto makers are abandoning that market.

But that means some other company will get my money.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cemetry Gator posted:

It makes me sad. I'm a sedan man, but the American auto makers are abandoning that market.

It's not just US auto companies, it's all the companies in the US market.

Try finding a reasonably sized truck in the US.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Same. Guess it’s Civics forever.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

RCarr posted:

I think on my particular year, and model it only works if the key is in the ignition and maybe in th acc position. The salesman showed me that feature when I took one for a test drive but it's never come in handy since if I'm getting out of the car and it's shut off I always have the keys with me.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I’m in the market for a station wagon with a stick. It is not a large market.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pontius Pilate posted:

Surely Volvo has to have you covered somehow.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

Subaru has you covered

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Jazerus posted:

maybe that's become a thing in the last decade or so? fobs were originally just for convenience, not to replace the physical key entirely

besides if they have a valet key then they clearly have a physical lock

My car is from 2018 and only has keyless entry. There's no valet key, the fob just slides off of a key that locks the glove box. If you're valeting the car, you just detach the fob and hand that over. You can't lock the doors if the key is in the trunk or cabin of the car unless there's someone else nearby who has a fob. Of course, I also have the option to lock and unlock the doors with an app on my phone, so there's not much of a concern about keys being locked inside.

The key might also lock the trunk but I honestly don't recall if there's a key hole on the trunk. I don't think there is, and the trunk opens if you have the fob nearby anyway so I don't think a key is involved there. I've never had a need to lock the trunk.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Slimy Hog posted:

Subaru has you covered

I don’t think so. The Outback doesn’t have a stick anymore. I think the Forester still does, but it’s not quite a station wagon.

We were on the same hunt last year, and we got a VW Sportwagen with a stick, but it was really hard to find. And I think the 2019s are the last year they’re offering a stick with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Your option in the US is the Volkswagen Sportwagen or Alltrack. Source: I did this search in the last year. There are no other options.