Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Jurassic Bros vs Lucha Express 12 15.38%
Jakeico vs Sonny and Joey 8 10.26%
Nyla vs Tay 4 5.13%
Dustin vs The Mister 54 69.23%
Total: 78 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Germansimp posted:

Why does Marko Stunt have a job? This is why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E3jlw4QPwI&t=238s

Man, this pretty much was the platonic ideal of a monster squash.

That's real cool, Hobbs definitely deserves a spot on the roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Dyanmite thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940693

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Will Hobbs rules, good.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I like when Willpower Hobbs does a big flex and when he throws the men, hoping he shows up tonight

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

All Beef Wrestling

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Bring in Calvin Tankman next, boot out Jake Hager, and you got yourself a nice hoss division.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
A super group of all big hoss guys called the Monsters of Squash.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Huntman posted:

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Bring in Calvin Tankman next, boot out Jake Hager, and you got yourself a nice hoss division.

Hager's a big guy, but he looks like he has a second job answering the door for the Addams family. Hobbs has way better physical presence and a more expressive face.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vince would loving cream if he saw the roster page with all this beef on show

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Vince would loving cream if he saw the roster page with all this beef on show

Hasn’t Vince already employed to some degree every single AEW hoss except Hobbs?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dacap posted:

Hasn’t Vince already employed to some degree every single AEW hoss except Hobbs?

Not Wardlow!

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Or secondary mutation Brian Cage.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Or secondary mutation Brian Cage.

Incorrect. Cage worked for Vince as Kris Cage in FCW.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Incorrect. Cage worked for Vince as Kris Cage in FCW.

Before he his X-gene reactivated and he turned into a meat golem.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Before he his X-gene reactivated and he turned into a meat golem.

Apparently Vince firing him lead to becoming hugenormous and trying to improve in the ring

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

boar guy posted:

counterpoint: he's small, not funny in the way that a child that has had too much sugar and not enough sleep isn't funny, impossible to take seriously, and should go away

his Sammy vlog was a bit weird, like, the guy is probably 27-28 years old and acts like a 14 year old or younger a lot or as his "character", and he turns on a dime from goofy hyper active kid to trying to get Fuego to diddle the sink until it "squirts" so it's just this whole weird creepy jarring thing and i'm just not into it, pick a lane

he's probably doomed to be a weird side act like Milonakis or something

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Spike came off as sympathetic because he'd be bullied by his "brothers". Marko's annoying because he picks fights he can't win, then runs away.

I am watching the invasion era currently and spike and molly are getting huge pops. Taker and Kane levels

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Marko was better on the indies when it was less that he was pretending to be a kid and more that he looked like a kid and was also a really good wrestler who could hang with people way bigger than him.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Marko needs to go back to telling hecklers he hosed their mothers.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's just kind of like he's turned into the joke that he was supposed to be making fun of. The beauty of all the weird wrestler's Joey has found is that when he gave them spots they were used to defy expectations.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

So proud of Will Hobbs! Yay! He seems very well-liked, which brings me to my next point:

Mark “O” Stunt.

Because we have been typing about it for awhile now and that’s A-OK! But I just have to type a lot myself because I am a registered SA forums user and I have feelings and opinions drat it!

Ok on to Marko: Personally, I always think that if somebody is gonna get ripped on for X and Y, they have to at least show competency in the ring. And if they can’t show that, there’s gotta an intangible that really holds everything together.

Marko seems super well-liked backstage. Everybody is friendly with the guy. And sometimes, you get hired to a job for that. You’re a morale booster. You’re a fun, exciting presence that’s contagious. You can tell Marko is a ton of fun. Hell, he’s Mr. Fun Size! It says so in his name!

I think he’s talented. The gripe he will always get is because of his look. He’s two inches shorter than John Silver but nobody, and I mean nobody, rips on John’s height because he is a big beefy boy. Like, he is super jacked.

Marko is not super jacked. Matter of fact, he looks like any ol’ person. But, you hire a guy like Marko not just because he’s good in the ring (he won’t wow you, but he’s competent and can be thrown around and you can tell he loves the job), but because of what else he brings to the organization:

Fun
Friendly
Good worker
High energy

Those are just a few of the reasons why Marko will be probably be in AEW for the long haul. He helps people not be or get pissed off backstage and that is a MAJOR BLESSING TO A BRAND NEW START-UP WRESTLING COMPANY TO GET PEOPLE TO WANT TO SIGN WITH THEM.

Thanks and gosh bless. Hail Santa.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

smarxist posted:

his Sammy vlog was a bit weird, like, the guy is probably 27-28 years old and acts like a 14 year old or younger a lot or as his "character", and he turns on a dime from goofy hyper active kid to trying to get Fuego to diddle the sink until it "squirts" so it's just this whole weird creepy jarring thing and i'm just not into it, pick a lane

he's probably doomed to be a weird side act like Milonakis or something

kids are always telling each other dirty jokes and are huge fuckin pervs that's the joke

I was in middle school and we had a book of mad libs and every word we'd put in was boob dick gently caress poo poo

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
He's not signed and it's a long shot that he will be signed, but get Megabyte Ronnie on A Shot of Brandi and see if she can make food faster than he can eat it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Marko is great because he is treated like a CMLL mascot and they even seem to grant him the same rules that a CMLL mascot gets where he is allowed to freely interfere once per match. Orange Cassidy had these same rules before he started getting pushed. We need more mascots.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

inthesto posted:

He's not signed and it's a long shot that he will be signed, but get Megabyte Ronnie on A Shot of Brandi and see if she can make food faster than he can eat it

Friend, please put the positive vibes in the air for MEGABYTE to be signed.

If Megatron can get over in football (Calvin Johnson ruled) then so can MEGABYTE.

Prayer circle continues until he is signed.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Marko owns

Hobbs owns

Everyone in AEW owns except for Jake Hager, who can go eat worms

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

Marko owns

Hobbs owns

Everyone in AEW owns except for Jake Hager, who can go eat worms

Preach. Honestly, the most out of pocket, abnormal signing that I would be shocked to see how he gels with anybody backstage is Jake Hager. I feel like how it goes is:

“Yeah we all get along and generally are on the same page on everything. And then there’s Jake.”

I mean, maybe he’s working on himself or more tolerant since he is around 99% of people who are, but who knows.

I do love that AEW does seem to have a type when it comes down to gelling backstage. And that’s really cool. There’s outliers of course but overall, if I was wrestling, I would want to be part of that as opposed to others.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Also, a great laugh.

quote:

WWE tried to keep Tony Schiavone away from AEW with no plans laid out for him
ByChris SiggiaPublished on September 16, 2020

This week’s episode of “What Happened When” with Tony Schiavone and Conrad Thompson is an “Ask Tony Anything” episode.

Schiavone takes questions from fans and the topics this week include: the most shocking thing about being backstage at AEW, what call he regrets during his career, would he leave AEW to join the Atlanta Braves, what he would have done differently if he was in charge of WCW and more.

Here are some highlights from the show:

Tony Schiavone was asked: “If the Braves called you and offered you the announcing job, would you leave AEW?: “No, that ship has sailed. If there was a chance to do both, I would do that. But I would not leave AEW for that. You can’t put a price tag on working for a good person and that’s what we are doing. It’s worth it’s weight in gold. On the surface everybody would say, man, you would want to do the Braves. But my question is, who would I work for? Who would be my boss? Would it be a good relationship or would he nag me or give me poo poo and make me miserable? With Tony (Khan), he is very positive. He doesn’t make you miserable and he’s a great person to work for with a good heart. That is worth a lot.”

Tony was asked, “When you chose AEW over WWE, what position did WWE have in mind for you?” Tony responded: “They were very sketchy about it. They said we just want you to come to work here. We need more people here who have a strong wrestling background to help out. Well, what would I do? Well, you would just work with us. I was talking to Bruce (Prichard) and I think Bruce was shooting with me that he didn’t know. Now it’s pretty apparent what was going on and I don’t blame Bruce for it. But, they wanted to get me so AEW wouldn’t get me and they would have run me out the door right after Eric Bischoff or before. I’m not blaming Bruce but I get it. I know what Vince (McMahon) was thinking.”

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It is really good all of the stories of "the fed contacted X with no plan, just trying to get them to agree and it backfired immensely" are coming out because it's loving art every time and I love each of them individually.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

It really is hilarious.

With all bias aside, it really is sad that WWE is basically in existence at this point only to hurt AEW. Like, it basically defines them at this point.

“We sign all talent so they won’t go to AEW”
“We do all our stories and programs to counter their stories and programs”
“We exist and define ourselves not for a love of the business, but to just competition from even having a chance to succeed”

“We want to hire you Tony, not because you truly are great and that we want to give you a positive, awesome environment to use your talents and provide for your family but only because we don’t want you to help our competition, who we want to end forever (not because we would help those who would be let go because X company failed, no, we wouldn’t do that. We want those 100+ talents to AEW to just simply fail. No jobs. Let them figure it out. We won’t help.) Cheers!”

No wonder mental health issues loving suck and run rampant everywhere.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

ICR posted:

It really is hilarious.

With all bias aside, it really is sad that WWE is basically in existence at this point only to hurt AEW. Like, it basically defines them at this point.

Spite and pettiness are a hell of a drug.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

like i get it, the flossing, the dabbing, they're supposed to piss me off, but they reek of grasping at relevance

sorry for the dumb marko derail

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

lol people are going to lose their minds that we’re going to get an iOS EWR before a console game.

i've been dying for a mobile game conversion of the SvR2006 GM mode for a decade now

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

the major thing I'm noticing is this:

AEW, whether people like what they're doing or not, are active. They have an idea in mind and they're trying to put it into effect. If you sat Tony Khan down and he was in a good mood he could probably tell you the story for each major storyline in the company for the next six months or more. He can adapt that of course but he has a vision.

WWE - and this wasn't always the case - are reactive. Everything they do is in response to something, either something AEW's done, something that another sport has done, or just the twitch of Vince's brainworms that afternoon. They probably have long term plans, or would certainly tell you they did, but ask tomorrow and they'll give you different plans. There is no vision, no grand story being told that's planned out more than a month ahead. There's just what Vince things would be some good poo poo today.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/abadon_AEW/status/1306327836953915395

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also good on Tony and other wrestlers for getting those types of stories out

if anyone with a name wants to sign with WWE to collect a paycheck and not do jack poo poo, be my guest, but if you wanna be a performer and have an impact on the business, I want to see you in AEW and that's probably where you want to be

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Who do you think the first AEW talent to sign with WWE will be? I'd think that there are a few different types of deals in terms of time on the contract. Once those start coming up for renewal, I'm sure someone will make the jump - but I'm having a hard time imagining someone actually doing so if most of the talent feel like Tony.

That's a big part of why I enjoy AEW. It seems like the people who created and sustain it genuinely enjoy doing it, and each other. It's really nice to believe that these days.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bann posted:

Who do you think the first AEW talent to sign with WWE will be? I'd think that there are a few different types of deals in terms of time on the contract. Once those start coming up for renewal, I'm sure someone will make the jump - but I'm having a hard time imagining someone actually doing so if most of the talent feel like Tony.

That's a big part of why I enjoy AEW. It seems like the people who created and sustain it genuinely enjoy doing it, and each other. It's really nice to believe that these days.

Not everyone will be happy with their role or their money. I think you'll see some of the younger folk make the jump at some point. It's cool to like where you work, but get paid.

Where AEW has a huge advantage is that they seem to be helping their wrestlers find new ways to get paid, above and beyond what they are directly responsible for. Like Kip doesn't just make Tony's paycheque money, he also gets to be promoted on twitch and build his own brand there, and it actually shows up on TV (even before they decided to be cheeky about it re: WWE's stance). Sammy has his vlog, new folks building their brand on BTE, etc.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Bann posted:

Before last week I would've said Kip Sabian. Now, I'm not sure at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby
I could see Hager jumping back over depending on what he wants to do with Bellator, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part not wanting to see him in AEW.

For anyone it will probably come down to just how absurd WWE wants to get with their offers. The Khans could absolutely counter any of those, but I think there's definitely a line money-wise they wouldn't want to exceed yet.