Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Performance is night and day better for me. My system only (only!) has 16GB of RAM and changing views and looking around would cause paging like crazy. Whatever they did to the loading of assets made everything now perfectly smooth at 40FPS on high for me, no more stuttering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I read somewhere the patch is 11GB. It's 15GB over here, Premium edition loving me over. :[

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
That makes me excited. I was doing the JFK landing challenge last night and it was a slide show even though I can usually keep up.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

BTW, MSFS is a great use case for Shadow since latency isn’t a big deal. I finally got off the waitlist and it’s been working out great, have 30fps with most things turned up to high/ultra and my joystick works with no issues.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I'm not sure if it's related but GPU load went from 100% to around 60% and my fans are noticeably quieter now. I'm honestly shocked at how much better it's running.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmm, seems they did a world update. I wonder if my OSM changes made it, and my apartment house stops looking like an 1800s villa.

And I hope they have a decent radio tower model, assuming they care about the communications tower attributes in OSM, because the current cylinder in place of it in my vicinity looks kinda meh.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There is wind in North America. :dance:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Is "travel to" kinda buggy?

I use "travel to" approach and I'm still like 40 minutes out.

I then do "descent" and it throws me halfway through the final approach, going way way way too fast, nearly on top of the runway already. Like 50 feet away from touchdown. I'm forced to request a go-around.

I can't even imagine what would happen if I actually selected "final"

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

lobsterminator posted:

And 11GB in game update. Yay!
Still no mute button on the NEEERRR, NEEEEER, NEEEEERRRRRRRR download progress screen though, eh? Oh and while you wait, let's also max out the GPU so that progress bar really renders smoothly.

EDIT: Ah geez, I just realized after waiting 5 minutes that I had to press the UPDATE button after I had already pressed any key to begin so now it is downloading.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 16, 2020

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
I got 5gb into the download and I guess their servers died :(

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Charles posted:

I live in a fairly affluent neighborhood in Seattle. We're about 15 statute miles from SeaTac airport, where a lot of the approaches turn to final.
Recently somebody was asking if we could do something about the airplane noise.

Like, what do you expect to happen? Have the planes teleport in? 🤪

In Afghanistan and Iraq didn't they make giant rear end planes like C130s and C5s come in almost on top of the airport than dive/corkscrew down to avoid potential incoming fire? Why can't the airlines do that with their passenger jets to help abate noise? Just bring back the barf bags! :barf:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CapnBry posted:

Still no mute button on the NEEERRR, NEEEEER, NEEEEERRRRRRRR download progress screen though, eh? Oh and while you wait, let's also max out the GPU so that progress bar really renders smoothly.

EDIT: Ah geez, I just realized after waiting 5 minutes that I had to press the UPDATE button after I had already pressed any key to begin so now it is downloading.

if you turn the music volume down to zero in the game, it doesn't play during the updates either. it only plays in the menu anyway so it's no great loss.

put this on instead when you're flying for maximum dreaminess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFC5T7YDb8M

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You can also mute it in Windows Volume Mixer.

Trying a quick test flight before I have to go back to work -- they removed the turbo switch on the Shock Ultra. Guess it wasn't meant to have it.

edit: flaps are now mechanical as noted and you're super quick with the lever. Does it take a lot of force to move it IRL?

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 16, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Was flying from the Virgin Islands to Aruba when my computer screen shat itself, no more flying for me :(

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Everyone who flew in the last hurricane when the wind was broken, give it another shot.

Now that the weather's fixed I got to take off in Sally into a 25-30kt headwind and a few thousand feet up I was fighting 50kts. It's not just clouds and rain anymore!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

if you turn the music volume down to zero in the game, it doesn't play during the updates either. it only plays in the menu anyway so it's no great loss.
Do you ever get tired of being my personal MSFS hero? Ooh hang on there's 2 other tracks you can set the menu music to.

Nietzsche
Mar 13, 2001

f*ck is this newbie avatar

ATC
* Incoming ATC Azure speech has now three different voices.

:neckbeard:

I'm far more excited about this than I would have thought.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nietzsche posted:

ATC
* Incoming ATC Azure speech has now three different voices.

:neckbeard:

I'm far more excited about this than I would have thought.

Same, I turned it back on.

CapnBry posted:

Do you ever get tired of being my personal MSFS hero? Ooh hang on there's 2 other tracks you can set the menu music to.

I like the main track a lot, but not hearing it over and over. I have it set to #2, and the other one is the FSX music which is a trip. I wish they had Flight (2012) music too, it was fun. Maybe it's just an mp3 or something?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The first thing I noticed was that previously when I started a new flight it was really stuttery for the first minute when it loaded the surrounding scenery. Now there was no stutter. And FPS seems to have increased altogether I might bump the settings up a bit!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The menu finally loads in a reasonable amount of time. I was getting used to letting it start and then walking away for at least 10 mins.

Unlike say The Sims 3, that fucker took 15 minutes to load and didn't even work when it did.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

skooma512 posted:

The menu finally loads in a reasonable amount of time. I was getting used to letting it start and then walking away for at least 10 mins.

Unlike say The Sims 3, that fucker took 15 minutes to load and didn't even work when it did.

I thought I noticed this too, but I wasn't sure if it was just my own brain tricking me. Cool.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Very happy about improvements, less so about the patcher needing to use the cpu and gpu at full blast while I could be playing other stuff

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Is there somewhere I can find a legend for all the colored lines that show up on the g1000 map?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Soy Division posted:

Also, someone asked awhile back who owns TBMs IRL. Mostly rich people who can’t quite afford a jet or who want something more rugged so they can fly into tiny airports etc.

If you can afford a TBM you can probably afford a King Air instead, and then you don't have to pucker when you go over a large body of water because you have two engines.

Also the King Air has a nice interior and can carry lots of passengers.

So I have to wonder who the TBM is for. Somebody who really wants the interior of their plutocrat plane to look even more like the interior of a Mercedes than the King Air, I guess.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not sure about that 100% GPU thing in MSFS, what the root cause of this is.

I have my window reduced to minimum size, running in background behind a few browser windows. If I leave the system idle, the GPU clock of my 2070S drops to 675MHz and the memory clock to 202MHz, and Task Manager still indicates "only" ~23% GPU usage.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I see Microsoft pulled a Visual Studio with the Flight Simulator patch. You download a 300MB update so that you can download the 11GB actual update.

Edit: Dear DCS people, I feel for you with all of us overwhelming the thread with Flight Simulator. If I could help deal with the crashed F-15 I would, but I think I'd get exploded inside my Cessna.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chubby Henparty posted:

Very happy about improvements, less so about the patcher needing to use the cpu and gpu at full blast while I could be playing other stuff

hey man it's probably just using CUDA acceleration to decompress all those tiny zip files. do you want it to take even longer

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Fabulousity posted:

In Afghanistan and Iraq didn't they make giant rear end planes like C130s and C5s come in almost on top of the airport than dive/corkscrew down to avoid potential incoming fire? Why can't the airlines do that with their passenger jets to help abate noise? Just bring back the barf bags! :barf:

Sounds like Ryanair

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sapozhnik posted:

If you can afford a TBM you can probably afford a King Air instead, and then you don't have to pucker when you go over a large body of water because you have two engines.

So I have to wonder who the TBM is for. Somebody who really wants the interior of their plutocrat plane to look even more like the interior of a Mercedes than the King Air, I guess.

You need a multi-engine license then.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Sapozhnik posted:

The TBM's going to cost a lot less to fly and maintain

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Charles posted:

You need a multi-engine license then.

Also, turboprops are really expensive both to acquire and maintain. Having just one of them is a huge cost savings.

Multi-engine ratings are easy as poo poo to get, I really doubt that's a deciding factor for people who can afford a TBM.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah two turboprops is a lot more expensive than one turboprop.

Also while a King Air can theoretically carry like 15 passengers, you'd need an ATP license to do so, and with a plane thus equipped you'd constantly have all your acquaintances begging you to take their bachelor party to Vegas or whatever. 6 seats (including the pilot) is just right.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I've heard the TBM described as biz jet performance/luxury, but in a cheaper to maintain package.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

JayKay posted:

I've heard the TBM described as biz jet performance/luxury, but in a cheaper to maintain package.

Yeah, it’s basically a smaller PC-12 and those are crazy popular.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

After the patch in the TBM, the autopilot in NAV mode now likes to pitch me straight down to the ground when I'm crossing any of my waypoints. Makes for an exciting flight, I guess?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

ethanol posted:

a few of those garmins have the alttitude and heading knob but no AP buttons. I'm not sure which planes have the glass cockpit but not full autopilot irl, but keep in mind it's one of the known issues topics is that the autopilots are not implemented yet on all GA aircraft. They might not have the buttons in there yet. Like the JMB VL-3 I think for example.

I went crazy trying to find the AP buttons on the JMB VL-3. Fortunately Garmin had a tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-DDw6k-07M&t=518s

I keep tapping on the glass in the sim based on the tutorial and its just unresponsive. It seems like a huge waste of developer time to build functions to direct-to, load FLP, approaches, etc without a way to actually use them. :negative:

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Post-patch King Air AP is completely nonfunctional. You can no longer program any flight plan into it. The gently caress.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Oceanbound posted:

Post-patch King Air AP is completely nonfunctional. You can no longer program any flight plan into it. The gently caress.

If you think that's bad, the A320 alternates between having zero power including external power, and having the number one engine shut itself down about three minutes after it spools up with no way to get it going again. Who the gently caress cleared this patch?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

gliders when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I see Microsoft pulled a Visual Studio with the Flight Simulator patch. You download a 300MB update so that you can download the 11GB actual update.

Edit: Dear DCS people, I feel for you with all of us overwhelming the thread with Flight Simulator. If I could help deal with the crashed F-15 I would, but I think I'd get exploded inside my Cessna.
After more than an hour I'm currently on 53gb downloaded out of 8.10gb so the update is going great here :ohdear: