Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Reviews

https://www.theverge.com/21437674/oculus-quest-2-review-features-photos
https://techcrunch.com/2020/09/16/review-facebooks-oculus-quest-2-is-outstanding/?guccounter=1
https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2020/9/16/21437762/oculus-quest-2-review-virtual-reality-vr-facebook-oculus-power-resolution-tracking
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-2-review/
https://www.engadget.com/oculus-quest-2-review-vr-facebook-headset-173026291.html
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/oculus-quest-2-review
https://www.ign.com/articles/oculus-quest-2-review
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/review-we-do-not-recommend-the-299-oculus-quest-2-as-your-next-vr-system/
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/oculus-quest-2-review
https://www.wired.com/review/oculus-quest-2-review/
https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/oculus-quest-2
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/16/technology/personaltech/facebook-oculus-quest-2-review-vr-headset-games.html
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-quest-2-review-better-in-almost-every-way/
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/sep/17/oculus-quest-2-vr-headset-review-the-virtual-escape-from-covid-19-we-need

Ars seems to be the only negative one.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Quest 2 seems alright if you don't currently have a headset and you're all in on FB. Really doesn't seem like it's worth the upgrade from the original Quest if you already have one. For me I think I'm done buying games from Oculus and will ride out this RiftS/Quest combo until the next big leap in non-FB PC headsets.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you want to sideload apps, you need a developer account with a working phone number or a credit card? What?

This is also a thing for the Quest now. But if you bought anything, it automatically has your card data and if you logged in with facebook, they have your phone number.

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you want to sideload apps, you need a developer account with a working phone number or a credit card? What?

Yeah I don't think I've seen this anywhere else??

Edit: NVM I guess they already have this

I'm gonna grab the smaller model as a casual VR user.... What Wifi does this use?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Quest 2 seems alright if you don't currently have a headset and you're all in on FB. Really doesn't seem like it's worth the upgrade from the original Quest if you already have one. For me I think I'm done buying games from Oculus and will ride out this RiftS/Quest combo until the next big leap in non-FB PC headsets.

Yeah, not gonna upgrade, especially since I still haven't payed in full for my Quest 1 and i would be selling it at a loss anyway since I see used Q1 here in Poland already go for the equivalent of 300 dollars.
Still gotta buy that loving USB-C to USB-A cable for Link.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

JumpyMonky posted:

Yeah I don't think I've seen this anywhere else??

Edit: NVM I guess they already have this

I'm gonna grab the smaller model as a casual VR user.... What Wifi does this use?

Good question as they haven't said anything in the announcement, but the XR2 chip supports Wifi6. Who knows if they are using it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My guess on the prerelease hardware, on prerelease software, is that tracking isn't as dialed in as it is on the 18 month old quest 1

The new ZR1 chip or whatever supports up to 7 cameras according to the sales literature, the absolute tracking capability of the quest 2 ought to be substantially better, once they get the kinks worked out

For comparison, the quest 1 offloads controller tracking to a seperate DSP chip independent of the primary SOC, which probably uses fundamentally different algorithms

That said, who knows how long it'll take to get tracking up to par with the Quest, but my guess is that tracking improves substantially by Christmas

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Valve, release a higher resolution Index 2 pretty plz.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tom Guycot posted:

I wasn't particularly interested in a jurassic park game, but watching the trailer it actually looks interesting. Like a survival horror, alien isolation type experience, which is a good take for a jurassic park game that... i don't think has been done before? I dunno, but seems way more interesting than driving around shooting dinosaurs or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7vYKq4o17k

VR Cel-shading is an interesting avenue to go down. I've seen a couple games now that are doing that, not sure how I feel about it. Probably works well though.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Turin Turambar posted:

It's a good point.

Seems like a good thing though? The touch 1 controllers were much more comfortable than the quest redesign so its nice they're going back to that. You could say the same thing about the headstrap add ons not working anymore, but in its place looks like a more robust system for aftermarket straps built in.

EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think its a good compromise for something running on a mobile chipset. you avoid a lot of lower resolution textures looking muddy, and instead it looks stylized, whether you like the particular style or not, still looks better than "bad".

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 16, 2020

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Do any of the reviews mention compatibility with the Deluxe Audio Strap?

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Ultimate question here is, to get this or a Reverb, since near I can tell these are your best options if you want inside-out tracking at the moment.
Reverb costs double, resolution is better (and doesn't need link), but it sounds like the tracking when your controllers are directly in front of the headset is still breaking, which the Quest doesn't have a problem with.
Tough call for me, but at this price, it's sounding like Quest 2 might still be the best option at the moment, assuming you have fairly typical IPD?

bullet3 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 16, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bullet3 posted:

Ultimate question here is, to get this or a Reverb, since near I can tell these are your best options if you want inside-out tracking at the moment.
Reverb costs double, resolution is better (and doesn't need link), but it sounds like the tracking when your controllers are directly in front of the headset is still breaking, which the Quest doesn't have a problem with.
Tough call for me, but at this price, it's sounding like Quest 2 might still be the best option at the moment, assuming you have fairly typical IPD?

Quest 2 is probably the best option, ignoring Facebook data tracking politics, which have already been covered ad nauseum

That said I'll probably be buying the Reverb G2 or similar early next year as part of a 3000 series GPU build, for ad nauseum reasons

I'd love to see lighthouse tracking systems come down in price next year

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
I think for me the decider would be how big of a factor the link cable compression is. Does it feel like a reliable way to use VR if you're primarily going to run everything off of steamVR, or is it still kind of a hack with visible artifacting?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Sidequest and Virtual Desktop work out of the box with Quest 2.
Didn't see this one coming.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

$100 cheaper and higher resolution?

gently caress it, I preordered 2 to add to my OG quest. Me and the kids are going to be entering the Goddamn Matrix and laser tagging bitches together in rec room.

E: Feeling really sorry for anyone who just locked in a purchase of an original quest from a scalper for like 5-600 or whatever.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zachack posted:

Do any of the reviews mention compatibility with the Deluxe Audio Strap?

Considering the DAS either uses zip ties or 3d printed adapters, i would assume someone would just have to make a new 3d printed adapter that fits on whatever mechanism is built in for connecting the OEM headbands.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Lemming posted:

I would take this review with a grain of salt, it includes some inaccurate information:

You can see in this Tested video that the number of IR lights is the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x6lux6f_6g&t=988s

Thanks for this, that specific part of the Ars review was a deal killer for me. All the other negatives fall into the manageable-via-Frankenquest category except maybe the single panel but my IPD matches one of the three selectable options.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Leathal posted:

Thanks for this, that specific part of the Ars review was a deal killer for me. All the other negatives fall into the manageable-via-Frankenquest category except maybe the single panel but my IPD matches one of the three selectable options.

I think whoever spoke to the author misspoke, they probably meant to say that the algorithm to track the controller is now able to track when seeing fewer LEDs, when dealing with specific edge cases, rather than the hardware has fewer LEDs, which it does not.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

bullet3 posted:

I think for me the decider would be how big of a factor the link cable compression is. Does it feel like a reliable way to use VR if you're primarily going to run everything off of steamVR, or is it still kind of a hack with visible artifacting?

It depends a lot on the game. 95% of the time is fine, but with some types of gradients, especially in dark gradients you can see it.

Mind you, we still don't know how it will work on Quest 2. The limit in Quest 1 was already the headset itself, as they had to use the video decode hardware that have a max bandwith limit. I think the new chip is much better for video so maybe things will improve.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Seems like the Ars guy really has strong views against the Facebook thing. Which does suck, yes. but is also blown out of proportion.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A better look at the elite strap

What I would like to know is specs. How many mah? How many extra hours?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

I wanna say in the Tested video he said they said it would about double the time, but no more details than that

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

To be honest the attractive $300 price is a bit of bait, the strap looks super cheap and not very comfortable, all the weight is still in the front and despite the many other improvements, battery duration is the same. The solution? a $140 accessory! So in the end the price is $440...
I respect the hustle, Mark Z.

I'm half joking, in reality it's a good idea because that way, the casual audience can have a cheap device, and the more hardcore consumer (us) can have the pro experience for more $.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

To be honest the attractive $300 price is a bit of bait, the strap looks super cheap and not very comfortable, all the weight is still in the front and despite the many other improvements, battery duration is the same. The solution? a $140 accessory! So in the end the price is $440...
I respect the hustle, Mark Z.

It's pretty dumb, the battery strap is only that expensive because it's packed in with a case, which on its own costs $50, so it's effectively only $30 more than the other non-battery strap, you just have no option to buy it

I'd hope at some point it wouldn't be bundled together, or maybe you could get it and try to sell the case on its own or something

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sell base hardware as a loss, make profit with software and accessories. Console model.

edit: in case it isn't clear, I'm talking of a general, commercial perspective, not from my consumer perspective. From the general perspective it's good to shave down costs to reach the $300 price tag to try to reach a mass audience. From my perspective, yeah I don't want an expensive case.

They cut whatever they could, like 1 3.5mm audio jack instead of 2, or a shorter usb cable included. Basically all they could think of that wasn't really needed.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 16, 2020

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Being able to say all in one VR for $300 is going to sell a lot of units for Christmas.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Leathal posted:

I think it's funny how the bias of each one changes the review. Ars seems to be biased in one direction. But they aren't the ones that are subjective, I'm watching the Tested review now and I chuckled in a pair of parts, how he was trying to see some good side in the new strap, or how he had a very vague impression the audio being a bit better, having 'more presence' (it really sounded like a placebo effect and it's just the same audio). He is lil' biased in the other direction.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
The cons from ARS seems to be headstrap, battery life, facebook. The headstrap and battery life can be taken care of and still be cheaper than other headset.

Really if you can get past the Facebook part this seems like an obvious choice. I have an OG Rift and grappling with the idea of upgrading vs giving Facebook money. If they had come out and said they also had a wireless link solution I'd buy instantly. The cord is my biggest gripe with VR currently and honestly is what keeps me from using it very much.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mashed_penguin posted:

Being able to say all in one VR for $300 is going to sell a lot of units for Christmas.

Yeah this is going to be the $750 Tickle me Elmo of 2020, might want to pre-warm your eBay seller's account now

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Turin Turambar posted:

-IPD 3 presets. 58mm, 63mm, 68mm.

Well this is loving garbage.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

Well this is loving garbage.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Turin Turambar posted:

Even for wired link use seems like a better option just to have that extra weight in the back.

Looking forward to seeing some actual reviews of the battery strap.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

At least they put a warning on the box people!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm probably going to pick one up to play with the wife on my rift. I'm trying to think of good 2 player games with cross play, I'm thinking Eleven Table Tennis, Rec Room and Echo Arena. Anything else good with cross play?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The movable lens system seems concerning, but I'll be interested to see how they work in practice. I might might be getting a unit in for development purposes so if nothing else it'll be a fun little toy to play around with. Did that kayaking game ever come out?

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN

Tom Guycot posted:

Even for wired link use seems like a better option just to have that extra weight in the back.

Looking forward to seeing some actual reviews of the battery strap.

Probably going to wait to see reviews as well and see if there are any good 3rd party solutions before plopping any extra money down for the battery strap. The fact that the strap is easily removable leaves it wide open for 3rd parties to enter in the field. Also swapping to the OG strap will be great for travel.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
When are they going to deliver what the people really want?

A VR Remaster of Pyst!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Enos Cabell posted:

I've got a Quest 1 and will certainly get a Quest 2.

Having just one VR headset is pretty rough in a household with kids that want it. I'll get the new one and then let the kids have the old one all to themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfDrsJrTRz4

He makes a good point, with the official strap being so easy to remove and replace, we will see lots of third party versions, with different shapes, strap materials, audio, battery, etc. They only need to be the same in the part that connect with the headset.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 16, 2020