Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Jurassic Bros vs Lucha Express 12 15.38%
Jakeico vs Sonny and Joey 8 10.26%
Nyla vs Tay 4 5.13%
Dustin vs The Mister 54 69.23%
Total: 78 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Lamuella posted:

the major thing I'm noticing is this:

AEW, whether people like what they're doing or not, are active. They have an idea in mind and they're trying to put it into effect. If you sat Tony Khan down and he was in a good mood he could probably tell you the story for each major storyline in the company for the next six months or more. He can adapt that of course but he has a vision.

WWE - and this wasn't always the case - are reactive. Everything they do is in response to something, either something AEW's done, something that another sport has done, or just the twitch of Vince's brainworms that afternoon. They probably have long term plans, or would certainly tell you they did, but ask tomorrow and they'll give you different plans. There is no vision, no grand story being told that's planned out more than a month ahead. There's just what Vince things would be some good poo poo today.

This is an incredibly good post. Love it Lamuella!

Bann posted:

Who do you think the first AEW talent to sign with WWE will be? I'd think that there are a few different types of deals in terms of time on the contract. Once those start coming up for renewal, I'm sure someone will make the jump - but I'm having a hard time imagining someone actually doing so if most of the talent feel like Tony.

That's a big part of why I enjoy AEW. It seems like the people who created and sustain it genuinely enjoy doing it, and each other. It's really nice to believe that these days.

I love this question because it does make you wonder.

And honestly, I don’t see anybody jumping ship. I think it’s a culture thing. It’s kinda like why I get really discouraged a guy like Jake Atlas was so hellbent on WWE where it was all or nothing. He would be way better in AEW and fit in more.

I don’t see anybody fitting in there right now. Not seeing it. I’m checking the roster right now and I really don’t see it.

If you want my biggest worry in the future, it’s Kris Statlander. That’s it. And it’s a very little worry. I could see her getting bored or wanting just a little more competition. But that’s extreme speculation and a reach for me.

But, long story short, none. None will jump ship. They know what they get over there. And AEW is gonna last for the long haul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I bet you that WWE will just offer NXT contracts at AEW talent around the 120k mark and hope the shine of the Fed will get them to sign

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I bet Hager would jump back.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I think about who would get the biggest offer to jump ship? Not that they would actually jump, but would get a massive offer:

Hangman Adam Page is probably being watched by WWE at this point and they’ll throw a blank check at him. I’m sure they’re paying attention to his influence and popularity. Starks will get a heavy check too I assume when the time comes, only because I expect him to get to main event status by the time his contract is up.

Anna Jay will get one too when her time comes.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they offered page mid six figures to go straight to NXT when his deal came due in 2018

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yooooooooooo!
https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1306306867736514562/photo/1

oh, already posted, i'm posting again, cuz :woop:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bann posted:

Who do you think the first AEW talent to sign with WWE will be? I'd think that there are a few different types of deals in terms of time on the contract. Once those start coming up for renewal, I'm sure someone will make the jump - but I'm having a hard time imagining someone actually doing so if most of the talent feel like Tony.

That's a big part of why I enjoy AEW. It seems like the people who created and sustain it genuinely enjoy doing it, and each other. It's really nice to believe that these days.

I think it's gonna be someone that AEW just didn't intend to bring back, or one of the older guys that just goes for a paycheck.

I guess those aren't mutually exclusive.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Envisioned posted:

I could see Hager jumping back over depending on what he wants to do with Bellator, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part not wanting to see him in AEW.

For anyone it will probably come down to just how absurd WWE wants to get with their offers. The Khans could absolutely counter any of those, but I think there's definitely a line money-wise they wouldn't want to exceed yet.

theres no universe that hager goes back to the company that put him in pajamas before just absolutely giving up on him and DEFINITELY wont let him go to bellator to brutalize bouncers and dads who fight at little league games

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Who gets the next #AllElite graphic? Diamanté, Ivelisse, Dark Developmental Talent or Someone Else?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

gently caress YEA HOBBS, gently caress YES

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's weird that I can't really think of who, when their 2 to 3 year contracts are up, would jump from AEW to WWE. Most of them feel like they had that option at the start and said no. And when you have guys like Mox, Jericho, and Cody armed with the horror stories of WWE's creative chokehold, it makes me doubt many people would want to test the waters over there. Hell, look at the indy/njpw people who made the leap already and how poorly they might get booked.

There's a world of a difference between a company run by an insane guy and his rear end in a top hat daughter and worthless mark son in law and 30 loving writers, and a company run by a dude who is genuinely liked and approachable by his workers and there are no writers, just producers like Arn/Malenko/Billy Gunn who are there for advice alongside long hauler vets like Omega. AEW just seems like more of a place where people are genuinely happy to work together and be their best selves.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Who gets the next #AllElite graphic? Diamanté, Ivelisse, Dark Developmental Talent or Someone Else?

100% Ivelisse

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Bann posted:

I always thought Angelico was gonna end up in WWE after LU flopped, so maybe him, especially if TH2 can't get going in AEW.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

ICR posted:

I think about who would get the biggest offer to jump ship? Not that they would actually jump, but would get a massive offer:

Hangman Adam Page is probably being watched by WWE at this point and they’ll throw a blank check at him. I’m sure they’re paying attention to his influence and popularity. Starks will get a heavy check too I assume when the time comes, only because I expect him to get to main event status by the time his contract is up.

Anna Jay will get one too when her time comes.

That was my thought as well, Vince is going to throw an absolute ton of money at Anna Jay. Simply because you know he has to absolutely be kicking himself for somehow not finding and signing her first.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Veda Scott or Kilynn King, please.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I believe Cody will make the jump in Q2 2021, he will be revealed to be the leader of The Resistance. There is no alternative, in my mind.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pylons posted:

Veda Scott

Veda for sure would be the biggest get for them from my perspective. She is awesome on commentary, and I think having a woman on their main show commentary is a big deal.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

huge hobbs is a huge get

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Pylons posted:

Veda Scott or Kilynn King, please.

That's my loving wish list but Diamante and Ivelisse should be on there too. I'd be happy for Lee Johnson, Sean Dean, and Griff Garrison too.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I think the people who feel most underserved by AEW will jump ship to the indies, new japan, or the third tier tv shows and try and get over there before coming back to AEW instead of going to WWE.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

fez_machine posted:

I think the people who feel most underserved by AEW will jump ship to the indies, new japan, or the third tier tv shows and try and get over there before coming back to AEW instead of going to WWE.

I was gonna say a similar thing; if it weren't for the pandemic I could see people trying to make it as an indies superstar based on an spike in name recognition.

It's so lame to say but it genuinely makes me kind of sad thinking about the possibility of most of the roster going to WWE. Like, for a moment I went "I could see Wardlow being a guy WWE is interested in who they might promise more of a central role than he's getting right now," and then immediately I was upset at the idea I just fabricated

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Wrestlemania Weekend That Never Was felt like a high watermark for people doing weird, creative poo poo on the indys and then God Tower-of-Babled our asses for getting too close to Heaven

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If WWE was still paying good money and keeping you around to sit in catering I could see some midcard guys getting swayed by big promises. But WWE has pretty much shown their hand and they'll sign you and pay you just long enough to make sure you burned all the bridges and then drop you on your rear end. Maybe when Vince dies and HHH is in charge they can trick people again but I feel like they've shown everyone that they will gently caress you.

But also wrestler's are con artists and those are the easiest people to con.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone whose first mainstream exposure is AEW and gets very popular (such as Starks or Jay) do leave for WWE when their contracts are up, because it's easy to overlook horror stories when being offered tremendous amounts of money, which I assumed WWE would offer to try and spitefully poach stars.
It's really weird that neither Ivalisse or Diamante aren't already All Elite. They won the deadly draw!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Mr. Squishy posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone whose first mainstream exposure is AEW and gets very popular (such as Starks or Jay) do leave for WWE when their contracts are up, because it's easy to overlook horror stories when being offered tremendous amounts of money, which I assumed WWE would offer to try and spitefully poach stars.
It's really weird that neither Ivalisse or Diamante aren't already All Elite. They won the deadly draw!

they refused to enter joinder and insisted on being compensated in purestrain gold medallions

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Has anyone else been scrolling through this thread hoping to see Megabyte Ronnie's all elite signing announcement tweet

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

xbilkis posted:

I was gonna say a similar thing; if it weren't for the pandemic I could see people trying to make it as an indies superstar based on an spike in name recognition.

It's so lame to say but it genuinely makes me kind of sad thinking about the possibility of most of the roster going to WWE. Like, for a moment I went "I could see Wardlow being a guy WWE is interested in who they might promise more of a central role than he's getting right now," and then immediately I was upset at the idea I just fabricated

Lol, weirdly same, I'm so invested into AEW as a whole and want to see it succeed and get huge doing things the right way so that the business can heal and be better that it would legit bum me out if someone went across the street for something as stupid as more money but at the same time, if that's all they're after then maybe they deserve to be in the bad place idk

i just want a healthy and huge industry of cool poo poo to watch and a major promotion that's not toxic garbage succeeding and having a healthy relationship with the indy circuit while not treating their talent like indentured servants who can't be creative on their own time and make money on twitch or whatever is going to be a foundational pillar of that

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The underrated story of a lot of these signings is that WWE isn't really a dream for them anymore. Ironically in trying to get THE BRAND over as opposed to the wrestlers, they've killed THE BRAND with unsigned talent that they could possibly sign. You'll always have your Adam Coles where WWE is the dream but I think for a lot of people at AEW that isn't as much of a factor anymore.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

karmicknight posted:

You get that it a thousand percent is, right? Like this is the other half of the "letting people be themselves" conceit, that is that they will just bring their indie gimmick with them until they can work it into something new if they need to. Hopefully it will evolve into being something that is cool and good, but there is no guarantee or obligation that it will happen with an unsigned enhancement talent.

I agree and I do like that they let people run with their own gimmicks, I just don't think it works when it's a gimmick that is so derivative or in this case straight up stolen from something else. Like, someone further down mentioned Orange Cassidy. And his gimmick was super indie, but it was also super original so it works.

Either way I like Dani Jordyn a lot regardless and would like to see her succeed and possibly get signed!

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Hangman would not be used well by WWE he's too short by their standards. I don't think anyone is ever going to jump ship to WWE from AEW, these are people who grew up watching WWE turn WCW into a joke even after winning they spent decades tea bagging the corpse. It's a different culture now wrestlers aren't in it for the money anymore.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

smarxist posted:

Lol, weirdly same, I'm so invested into AEW as a whole and want to see it succeed and get huge doing things the right way so that the business can heal and be better that it would legit bum me out if someone went across the street for something as stupid as more money but at the same time, if that’s all they’re after then maybe they deserve to be in the bad place idk

i just want a healthy and huge industry of cool poo poo to watch and a major promotion that's not toxic garbage succeeding and having a healthy relationship with the indy circuit while not treating their talent like indentured servants who can't be creative on their own time and make money on twitch or whatever is going to be a foundational pillar of that
That attitude leads to it being ok for companies to underpay their talent. I think AEW is good and I hope they keep wrestlers I want to watch, but also if anyone can make more money somewhere else, good for them, they should take it.

What I think is kinda cool is that people could leave AEW and go do whatever, and then come back, and so far it seems like AEW won’t pretend those interim years didn’t exist.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

xbilkis posted:

smarxist posted:

Lol, weirdly same, I'm so invested into AEW as a whole and want to see it succeed and get huge doing things the right way so that the business can heal and be better that it would legit bum me out if someone went across the street for something as stupid as more money but at the same time, if that's all they're after then maybe they deserve to be in the bad place idk

I think my favorite thing about AEW is somehow related to this -- there are so many people on the roster and that have been working with AEW between Dark and other non-wrestling roles (specifically Mark Sterling) that I have seen in tiny, tiny elks clubs and banquet halls (which is also true with WWE, but more on that in a second). The difference is, the talent who are in AEW now, I know they're going to be treated at least with human decency and respect and are going to be able to show all of their talents. The WWE people? Entirely different wrestlers than I fell in love with. Hollow shells of amazing wrestlers. I want to be able to see someone just starting out with my friends drinking in a VFW that grows into the person who is now killing it on national TV. MJF is that for me.

also re: bolded part: you're better than this smarxist, imo

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Eat My Fuc posted:

I don't think anyone is ever going to jump ship to WWE

I think MJF might.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jack Evans at least seems very down to earth about why TH2 hasn't done much (Covid issues and then injury issues and just no time on the show for people with both things going against them). No idea about Angelico

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

oh but seriously I posted:

I think MJF might.

Why? His whole thing is promos and he'd never get to write another again.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
it took me way longer than it should've to get the pun in megabyte ronnie's name

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Angelico is tearing it up on Dark

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I think another big factor that gives me hope that we won't see many defections is that AEW is a really light time commitment and/so you can still work indie shows. poo poo, this weekend there's a show in a far south suburb of Chicago that has five AEW roster members and some short-termers (Pillman Jr. and Thunder Rosa) and it's just so hard for me to imagine anyone jumping ship no matter how much money the Fed backs into their proverbial driveway.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
All Elite Wrestling is on TNT tonight at 8 PM unless you are in a bad time zone. Enjoy!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

rantmo posted:

I think another big factor that gives me hope that we won't see many defections is that AEW is a really light time commitment and/so you can still work indie shows. poo poo, this weekend there's a show in a far south suburb of Chicago that has five AEW roster members and some short-termers (Pillman Jr. and Thunder Rosa) and it's just so hard for me to imagine anyone jumping ship no matter how much money the Fed backs into their proverbial driveway.

I think Kris Statlander is on record that the big deciding factor in going to AEW rather than WWE was that AEW would let her work indies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Eat My Fuc posted:

Why? His whole thing is promos and he'd never get to write another again.

i think he's committed enough to the bit that he'd spend 5-years in hell world so he could do some juicy promos when he came back