Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

TorakFade posted:

The ai makes some dumb decisions about marriages. Besides the fact that women basically never marry matrilineally even when it would make sense, a lot of people that are heirs to titles just marry old infertile women which kind of doesn't make sense, even if you get a good alliance it's kinda risky to delay having kids

But what would I know, I have like 6 sons from 25 to 0 years of age and a bunch of daughters

Also, there should be a warning or something for the fact that you can't embrace celibacy if you're a seducer. I got the perk and later found out it is useless to me :(

Yeah I manoeuvred my grandson into becoming Basileus and the AI betrothed him to a 43 year old random with no claims, no alliance power and no redeeming characteristics at all. Broke that poo poo super fast when I finally became him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Does the AI ever send you marriage proposals? I haven't seen any but maybe I'm just quick to farm out my litter.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i havent seen any, no

the AI also prioritizes prestige over alliances, to the point where yes they will marry their heir off to a 50 year old for the prestige grab. i dont know how they havent patched the game yet. its beenhalf a month

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

strong bird posted:

i havent seen any, no

the AI also prioritizes prestige over alliances, to the point where yes they will marry their heir off to a 50 year old for the prestige grab. i dont know how they havent patched the game yet. its beenhalf a month

There's some kind of multiplayer server restart scheduled for the 22nd, hopefully there's a patch by then at least.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 16, 2020

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

strong bird posted:

I don't know how they haven't patched the game yet. its been half a month.

It was probably a few months of hell to get this out the door, so I don't blame the devs for taking some time. An early patch that introduces another layer of bugs and/or doesn't address someone's pet issue doesn't win them any favors.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i do blame them because theyre being paid to do it and there are a bunch of obvious problems that they should have addressed before the game was released, or at the least should have been fixed within a week or two of release

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I don't give a gently caress about this covid thing, work you loving devs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Game’s good

strong bird
May 12, 2009

if they arent working then thats fine. if they are working and are presumably being paid for it, they should do a good job instead of a bad one as theyve done. seems fairly uncontroversial to me.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Won't Someone Please Think Of The Working From Home (read: still employed, unlike many) Tech Workers?!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
???

Jay Rust posted:

Game’s good

!!!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Lol what the gently caress

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Is there any benefit to being allied to a mercenary company leader (captain)? From what I can tell it factors in your ally army strength, but if you call them to war while they're not hired, nothing happens.

One of my now-defeated foes kept such an alliance going for ages because his mother was betrothed to a mercenary captain. She ended up dying in her mid-70s. I was once told that the phrase 'poo poo or get off the pot' applies to multi-year engagements; what about 60-70 years?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

they aren’t thankful enough to have a job and it’s affecting my gaming !!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

eXXon posted:

Is there any benefit to being allied to a mercenary company leader (captain)? From what I can tell it factors in your ally army strength, but if you call them to war while they're not hired, nothing happens.

One of my now-defeated foes kept such an alliance going for ages because his mother was betrothed to a mercenary captain. She ended up dying in her mid-70s. I was once told that the phrase 'poo poo or get off the pot' applies to multi-year engagements; what about 60-70 years?

I've had their knights, and only their knights show up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

eXXon posted:

Something does happen, but you're literally allied to the captain, he just shows up as a single knight

I missed him the first couple times I called the slaughters captain up since it was literally just a 1 on one of my rally points

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"If you wanted me to bring my soldiers along, you should've said so."

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

100 hours in, finally found the barbershop option

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Extremely disappointed the game doesn't allow characters with the Cannibal trait to pull a Titus Andronicus and invite their rival over to dinner and then, just as the feast is concluded, reveal they've been eating their own heir for a meal.

Get to it, ungrateful devs. Don't you know there are starving children in Africa who lost their jobs or something.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Jay Rust posted:

100 hours in, finally found the barbershop option

I haven''t checked but I hope there is a boatload of anime hair mods already in the Steam workshop.

Get to it, ungrateful modders. Something something starving children jobs something.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Xanderkish posted:

Extremely disappointed the game doesn't allow characters with the Cannibal trait to pull a Titus Andronicus and invite their rival over to dinner and then, just as the feast is concluded, reveal they've been eating their own heir for a meal.

Get to it, ungrateful devs. Don't you know there are starving children in Africa who lost their jobs or something.

There might be a way. Most events that involve multiple people allow the player to both start them or be the target of them, and I've been on the guest side of a secret cannibal feast.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

yikes! posted:

Yes. You only get seniority from a Czech innovation.

You can culture convert if your capital is still Czech and change it back to seniority.

How do you culture convert?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Arglebargle III posted:

How do you culture convert?

It's a Decision, I think the only requirement is that your culture is different from that of your realm capital county

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

strong bird posted:

I mean, I just married my last daughter matrilineally to the future byzantine emperor. I have no loving idea why he'd allow that - he had another son (well, two, but I murdered the guy who was next in line). Although almost nobody accepts them I still check the button just to see if it'll work and low and behold my dynasty is now inheriting my game's largest empire.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Okay, so do NOT

1: Get absolute crown authority and designate an heir
2: Reduce your crown authority down to 'High'
3: Disinherit your heir.

This will not do what I expected, which is 'reset' the inheritance and bring it in line with your succession law, but instead cause it to go bugfuck wild as the game tries to you to have a player heir that cannot inherit any titles.

There is, as far as I know, no way to reset/clear your designated heir (who can ONLY be your children) and have grandchildren inherit once you decide to select someone.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Got a situational question I need some help on. I'm playing an Ironman game, where I directly own the northern half of Ireland and am the Queen of Ireland, the Brian family maintains their duchy of mumu as my vassals to the south and it includes the duchy of leinster.

Now my issue is that I just put down a rebellion by the duke of mercia, who directly owns most of the duchy. In addition he also owns most of northern england, and he brought another countess into the rebellion. Normally I would just revoke all their lands and be done with it, but my ruler is just and generous, so each revocation comes with +60 stress.

If they sit in my dungeon I know they won't join factions, but will they still be traitors if my current character dies? Will my heir be able to revoke all their titles? I've done very well for myself this game, and actually fell upwards into my heir's heir being heir to the kingdom of wales.

Not sure what to do here. Except that I have all the leverage.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Veryslightlymad posted:

I didn't think of that until now, but aggressively incorporating territory into your primary title would actually mean smaller and smaller kingdoms would be divided among your other heirs, eventually.

How do you do this? Is it the bottom button for the chancellor counselor?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hargrimm posted:

It's a Decision, I think the only requirement is that your culture is different from that of your realm capital county

Yeah this is it. In my Ireland game, I had a heir come to power right after his dad got the Reclaim Britannia decision done, and he was Anglo-Saxon instead of Irish.

I wasn’t about to let some Germanic person sit on the throne of the empire. :colbert:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

How do you do this? Is it the bottom button for the chancellor counselor?

Yes. Or rather, it happens automatically when the criteria are met, but that button makes your chancellor work on speeding it up.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I got deposed after losing a civil war and got an instant game over. Is that always the case when you get deposed?

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

wologar posted:

I got deposed after losing a civil war and got an instant game over. Is that always the case when you get deposed?

I lost an independence war from my vassals and nobody actually broke off after I surrendered. Anyway I think you lose if you become unlanded.

Porpoise With A Purpose fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 17, 2020

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

I'm finally getting somewhere. It helps that I've gotten out from under Confederate Partition, and that tribes are falling behind feudal realms in power. I've been playing tall for a while now, carefully building up my development and boosting anglo-saxon techs, and I've just won an independence war to get out from under Scotland. Prior to that I was desperately bouncing from liege to liege depending on who could best protect me, but I think I'm powerful enough now that no one nearby will mess with me.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Daktar posted:

I'm finally getting somewhere. It helps that I've gotten out from under Confederate Partition, and that tribes are falling behind feudal realms in power. I've been playing tall for a while now, carefully building up my development and boosting anglo-saxon techs, and I've just won an independence war to get out from under Scotland. Prior to that I was desperately bouncing from liege to liege depending on who could best protect me, but I think I'm powerful enough now that no one nearby will mess with me.

Genuinely how the English map should look imo

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is it me or are invasions a little less bonkers then they used to be. It started as the Magyars, invaded Bulgaria and took over most of their poo poo but only got Pannonia.

Back in 2 you'd also get any land you occupied which to be fair was a bit OP and allowed you to swallow entire empires in one go if you were willing to do a bit of grinding.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Anyone know how to deal with constant outbreaks of heresy? I can't convert anything because catholic fervor is constantly in the tank, and half the people who accept my demands to convert go right back to being cathar the next day.

Also, my sister, the Queen of Jerusalem, who went and got herself the throne in a crusade, seems to have missed the point and converted to Islam. Pretty sure that's not how being a crusader king is supposed to work...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

dublish posted:

Anyone know how to deal with constant outbreaks of heresy? I can't convert anything because catholic fervor is constantly in the tank, and half the people who accept my demands to convert go right back to being cathar the next day.

Also, my sister, the Queen of Jerusalem, who went and got herself the throne in a crusade, seems to have missed the point and converted to Islam. Pretty sure that's not how being a crusader king is supposed to work...

Yeah that's just kind of how it works right now. Big religions will generally bleed fervor over time and Catholicism is the biggest. There's not really anything you can do about it other than hop on the heresy train yourself. Crusaders converting to Islam is also pretty common in the game right now - I think the AI is coded to try to convert culture/religion to match its capital if it can, to avoid the popular opinion penalty for being mismatched and to try to avoid populist factions.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Crusaders converting to Islam is also pretty common in the game right now - I think the AI is coded to try to convert culture/religion to match its capital if it can, to avoid the popular opinion penalty for being mismatched and to try to avoid populist factions.

Funny story, I've gone another six months and now she's converted to Khabarite Judaism... and changed culture from Franconian German to Khazar Turkic. She doesn't have the fickle or lunatic traits, so I'm pretty stumped at this one.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yeah its funny that successful Crusades are basically universally terrible for the religion- it dumps fervor and whoever gets it is basically guaranteed to swap religions pretty quickly.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

There is a mod on the workshop that nerfs the scandelous priest and virtuous priest events. Making them require three sins/virtues to trigger, which will be a lot rare than they currently are. The other fervor penalties are there, but this seems an okay balance between just making fervor not matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welfarestateofmind
Apr 11, 2020

"You are a violent and irrepressible miracle. The vacuum of cosmos and the stars burning in it are afraid of you. Given enough time you would wipe us all out and replace us with nothing -- just by accident."
I think the reason crusader states so rapidly shift culture/religion is because they get very quickly a super powerful rebel faction and one of the options to respond to said faction is to culture/religion swap. Something that should get fixed! I've watched three Jerusalems, two of which were family member run, within 10 years go Muslim in my Haestein to Normandy game.