Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I think they already said it was the SOC? That's what I heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
So what's the deal with buying a 3080. Should I just start f5ing at 11 55 est or what

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

Sony letting slip that they're cutting initial production estimates by 1/3 due to "production issues"

that came from bloomberg, not sony directly, and sony said bloomberg is full of poo poo

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-09-15-sony-reportedly-cuts-ps5-production-by-4m-units

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

repiv posted:

that came from bloomberg, not sony directly, and sony said bloomberg is full of poo poo

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-09-15-sony-reportedly-cuts-ps5-production-by-4m-units

Could be the case.

On the other hand, I've yet to see a tech manufacturer who was willing to admit to production issues running up to a hotly anticipated product launch.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

oof it’s pretty clear COVID really screwed up game development...

I just hope CP2077 launches without any further delay or major issues

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the demon souls trailer has went private so maybe don't get hopes up over the pc version quite so soon

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Dangerllama posted:

Er…I have a 650W and was hoping not to have to upgrade. (An i7-10700 arrives today). Is this a bad idea?

I just did power testing with a 3950X + 2080Ti, my 2080Ti maxes out at 330W which is the same as the 3080 at stock. Gaming maxed out at 500W or so and only P95 + Furmark went over 600 to 615W. I think you should be fine.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the demon souls trailer has went private so maybe don't get hopes up over the pc version quite so soon

I don't remember if Sekiro released the same day on PC as console but Dark Souls 3 had a month gap. It wouldn't shock me if the playstation version got a month or two head start to help juice holiday console sales.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

shrike82 posted:

oof it’s pretty clear COVID really screwed up game development...

I just hope CP2077 launches without any further delay or major issues

My prediction is that it's going to launch completely broken and require 3 months to fix. Gotta set those expectations low.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Republicans posted:

I don't remember if Sekiro released the same day on PC as console but Dark Souls 3 had a month gap. It wouldn't shock me if the playstation version got a month or two head start to help juice holiday console sales.
yeah it's coming along with bloodborne any day now...

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Sekiro was same day as far as I remember.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah it's coming along with bloodborne any day now...

What's your point? A PC release was never intended for bloodborne original, now they've already committed to BB PC remaster now that they're basically redeveloping it for PS5. Seems reasonable enough imo

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 16, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

evga has started to update their product pages. Looks like the launch choices are going to be:

3080 XC3 Black - $729 -30 rebate = $699 (3 fan vs 2 fan last time, custom PCB)
3080 XC3 Gaming = $749 (same card as above but with a back plate)
3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming = $769 (same card as above but with a mild OC)

https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+30+Series+Family

Last time they offered the 2080 XC and 2080 XC Ultra, both of which were 2 fan cards with backplates and reference PCBs, the Ultra having the comedy sized heatsink. This time everything is the same 3 fan HSF and custom PCB with the only physical difference being the backplate. Just like last time, the FTW isn't gonna be ready at launch it looks like.

But the red lipstick accents are somehow uglier than last gen so.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Hey like a week ago people were talking about a chrome extension that can be used to watch for a site to update. What was that extension?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

shrike82 posted:

I think the most deflating part of the reviews is extrapolating that the 3090 won’t hit 1440p144 or 4K60 ultra with RTX on upcoming games even with DLSS.

People thought that Ampere would be fast enough for RT but it’s clear that’s not the case.

Ampere is the next step after Turing, but the „flagship“ 3080 FE is just ~ 20% ahead of a 2080Ti oc and not a serious upgrade path here.
I am really disappointed by the Raytracing gains, nothing impressive, just solid and way below the hype.

For Pascal and 2060 and 2070 upgrades the 3080 is an insta buy GPU I guess and amazing additional performance.

For 2080Ti upgrades the wait for a 3080Ti might be an option. Or just calling it whatever and go for the 3090.

Really curious what amount of fps a 3090 offers over the 3080.
I hope for 50 % beyond a 2080Ti but doubt it tbh.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 16, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Mr.PayDay posted:

Really curious what amount of fps a 3090 offers over the 3080.
I hope for 50 % beyond a 2080Ti but doubt it tbh.

The "better than expected, how did this happen" ballpark is like 25%, it could be as low as 15%, probably somewhere in between. I mean we have the physical specs. There's no coprocessor or any secret sauce to speak of.

Even Nvidia are going out of their way to ignore it in every way possible.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Taima posted:

What's your point? A PC release was never intended for bloodborne original, now they've already committed to BB PC remaster now that they're basically redeveloping it for PS5. Seems reasonable enough imo
my point is you don't understand the particulars in the licensing process for those two titles, they're sony ip and co-developed
https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1306359099211370496?s=20
bluepoint bringing it to pc would be wild in many ways but it ain't happening

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

ahh fair enough :/

btw definitely hearsay but someone just said this on r/Nvidia:

"BESTBUY Calgary massive shipment PSA

We just got a massive shipment with different models of EVGA, MSI and ASUS 3080 cards.

I've never seen so many cards arrive in one batch like this. Wasn't expecting that at all.

There is no way this will sell out tomorrow.

Deerfoot meadows location."

:shrug:

If this is true, then we'll hear more about this as the evening progresses. Seems kind of far fetched? But whatever.

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 16, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I max out at 160w with my 1060 and an i7-7700 lol

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Mr.PayDay posted:

Ampere is the next step after Turing, but the „flagship“ 3080 FE is just ~ 20% ahead of a 2080Ti oc and not a serious upgrade path here.
I am really disappointed by the Raytracing gains, nothing impressive, just solid and way below the hype.

What was your expectation, that double the RT performance at 1/2 the price is "nothing impressive"? That's a 400% improvement for your dollar.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

my point is you don't understand the particulars in the licensing process for those two titles, they're sony ip and co-developed
https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1306359099211370496?s=20
bluepoint bringing it to pc would be wild in many ways but it ain't happening

lol how do you gently caress up a trailer that bad

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Hey like a week ago people were talking about a chrome extension that can be used to watch for a site to update. What was that extension?

page monitor. good luck goon

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

It's nearly guaranteed to be a timed exclusive and will be around in 6 months to a year.

That's way too specific a fuckup. They just don't want people to not buy it and wait.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The only part of the disassembly that looks unreasonable is the thin wires you gotta tweezer out, but I think I'd be willing to live with this. Wasn't expecting that.

I'll probably go EVGA but it's nice to know it's a worthwhile option.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Getting a PS5 was easy AF. Lol

Hopefully one of my 3080 orders actually ships.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

How can I try to better understand when any GPU will become CPU bottlenecked? Benchmarks show this generally happens at 1080p6 0Hz, whereas at higher resolutions and framerates the GPU begins to be the performance bottleneck.

But I want hard numbers, not just the general truth above. Is there a good way to find out when a CPU will bottleneck a GPU other than simply looking for benchmarks at high resolutions? (These are frustratingly rare, and obviously don't exist at all for the 30 series right now.)

Basically, I am still going in circles over which CPU to pair a 30 series card with to avoid throttling it when using it for 3840x1600 @ 144Hz. Does a high-mid tier CPU like the i5 10600K cut it, or do I need to be looking at the primo CPUs which cost twice as much?

Quoting myself from many pages ago to say: My questions above are directly addressed by this excellent tomshardware article in which they benchmark the 3080 with a wide range of CPUs, including an old Haswell i7 from 2013.

If you're wondering about the 3080 and CPU bottlenecks, read the article.

The most dramatic finding is that the 2013 Haswell gets only ~5 FPS fewer than an i9-10900K at 4k Ultra :eyepop:

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 16, 2020

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Wait we think Demon’s Souls Remastered is going to be multiplat?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Getting a PS5 was easy AF. Lol

Only place I've seen it up so far is Walmart, and gently caress those guys. Where did you grab yours?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

Wait we think Demon’s Souls Remastered is going to be multiplat?

They released a trailer saying PS5 and pc then tried to walk it back and say ps5 only.

I’m not sure I believe them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DrDork posted:

Only place I've seen it up so far is Walmart, and gently caress those guys. Where did you grab yours?

Walmart lol

If amazon throws a pre order up I’ll get one there instead.

People are actually walking into game stop and getting them too. gently caress that though.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

when are the AIB reviews coming out?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

They released a trailer saying PS5 and pc then tried to walk it back and say ps5 only.

I’m not sure I believe them.

Hmmm. Surely actual first party Sony games will remain PS5 exclusive, right?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

Hmmm. Surely actual first party Sony games will remain PS5 exclusive, right?

Horizon Zero Dawn is a 100% Sony-owned IP and came to PC eventually

but that was probably a ploy to hook pc gamers in and get them to buy a ps5 for the sequel

or a ps4 i guess since it's apparently cross-gen

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Taima posted:

It's nearly guaranteed to be a timed exclusive and will be around in 6 months to a year.

That's way too specific a fuckup. They just don't want people to not buy it and wait.

Or they copy/pasted the end screen from a different game when cutting together the presentation.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thoom posted:

Or they copy/pasted the end screen from a different game when cutting together the presentation.

This was from a second trailer that was posted.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

when are the AIB reviews coming out?

In 14 hours. Same as when the cards are gonna be up for sale.

repiv posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn is a 100% Sony-owned IP and came to PC eventually

but that was probably a ploy to hook pc gamers in and get them to buy a ps5 for the sequel

4 years later and as one of the worst optimized ports we've seen in a long time. I agree that it's probably more a line to get people interested in a PS5 than anything else, and doubt we should expect H:ZD 2 to come to PC in anything resembling a reasonable time frame.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Demon's Souls on PC would have been rad as gently caress but also extremely out of character for Sony.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Taima posted:

ahh fair enough :/

btw definitely hearsay but someone just said this on r/Nvidia:

"BESTBUY Calgary massive shipment PSA

We just got a massive shipment with different models of EVGA, MSI and ASUS 3080 cards.

I've never seen so many cards arrive in one batch like this. Wasn't expecting that at all.

There is no way this will sell out tomorrow.

Deerfoot meadows location."

:shrug:

If this is true, then we'll hear more about this as the evening progresses. Seems kind of far fetched? But whatever.

Buddy you've been on the internet for at least 14 years, you know better than this.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Stupid PS5 non-digital sold out while I was checking out good times

Some Goon posted:

Buddy you've been on the internet for at least 14 years, you know better than this.

I'm fully invested in the story of Deerfoot Meadows

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

guess i'm buying a plane ticket to Deerfoot Meadows to beat the scalpers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The deerfoot meadows BB manager apparently posts on reddit and found a viral way to drive foot traffic to their store. "YES! We got 3080 nvidia products (a shipment of 3080 2070 rtx cards)."