Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

after 13(x), 14 1.0 and 15, I would be shocked if this game isn't stellar, with the team behind the rebirth of 2.0 and Square having eaten it in the face for missteps over the last decade+

(plus I actually like 15, but that's neither here nor there)

And if you haven't played 7R or Heavensward+ in 14... 16 gon be gud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Bleck posted:

the party of the previous final fantasy game was four white dudes in nearly identical black outfits
wise cracker, stoic older brother, smart butler, and brooding prince seems diverse to ME

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Harrow posted:

That's sort of what makes me think there's at least a small possibility there won't be a party this time, though. It's very true that the mainline games differ pretty widely from one another--what if this is the one where they just go for a solo playable character?

I really hope not, I'd love for there to be a party with 7R's seamless character-swapping, but it's within the realm of possibility.

Nah, like I said I'm pretty convinced that we didn't see anything past the first 30 minutes of the game.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Honestly I was kinda hoping they'd bite the bullet and have a female lead again, personally. :(

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Gonna post again just to emphasize how incredibly loving good Heavensward and Shadowbringers are, god drat

So good

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

victrix posted:

Gonna post again just to emphasize how incredibly loving good Heavensward and Shadowbringers are, god drat

So good

:emptyquote:

e: I was talking to a friend yesterday who's a huge FF fan but hates MMOs and he was like "well is there any cool throwback stuff to older FF games" and I was like "uhhhhhh"

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 17, 2020

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I thought the trailer was cool as gently caress.

If anything, I’ve felt like FF needed some of its worst excesses trimmed back. Not a drat single FF has interested me since IX. And it’s been a big old massive pile of mismanagement and overblown BS for years now.

Hard agree with everyone that said this looks like the plot setup portion of the game.

I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but the severe lack of extreme anime feeling made me really happy about this.

A homogenous party would suck though.

Also am I the only one that thinks it’s funny that this is literally the inverse of the Diablo III argument from 2012?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Nah, like I said I'm pretty convinced that we didn't see anything past the first 30 minutes of the game.

Even if that's true, you can still say "nothing in this trailer appealed to me" and that's a valid complaint. Chiming in with "well actually this trailer is probably entirely unrepresentative of the final product, which will be completely different and way cooler" is a pretty weird thing to do.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I dropped off final fantasy after 10 but started playing FFXIV last year and it's been wonderful. I also picked up FF7R and it's the first modern sp final fantasy game that's clicked for me, the combat was very satisfying, especially on hard. I was skeptical after trying FFXV and being disappointed with combat that I found floaty and unengaging.

This trailer has me stoked, I find myself getting excited and I haven't been excited for a final fantasy before its release since 9 :allears: can't wait!

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Clarste posted:

Even if that's true, you can still say "nothing in this trailer appealed to me" and that's a valid complaint. Chiming in with "well actually this trailer is probably entirely unrepresentative of the final product, which will be completely different and way cooler" is a pretty weird thing to do.

thank you!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It cannot be overstated how much of a normalizing influence Yoshida seems to be on gender representation in FFXIV— far more progressive from the typical conservative gender representation of typical Japanese game companies. I’m sure he burns like 3000 letters a day from management/artists/fans hoping to sexualize Y’shtola more because she’s the new “face” of FFXIV in the greater FF universe, or make Alisaie have a boyfriend or something.

I am very excited to see women be realistic people in this video game. If that woman in the trailer were in FFXV her tits would be out and shed be sucking on a lollipop or something.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Apparently, Yoshida said back in 2019 that:

quote:

"I’d like to see a Final Fantasy that is straightforward fantasy, one that doesn’t have much machinery, and with no mecha in it."

That's...not promising.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

looking forward to three years of this

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Help Im Alive posted:

looking forward to three years of this

:yeah:

came to this thread to get hyped but if it's just gonna be this then I'll be unstarring that little button

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
I'll shut up. :( sorry.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly the last time I’ve spent a significant amount of time arguing about an upcoming FF title was in 2009 so it’s long overdue.

E: you’re cool Jetrauben, you make good points

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Jetrauben posted:

fwiw you've basically put all my worries and complaints about the trailer into words and it's refreshing not to feel alone in my opinions here :shobon:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Everyone will buy it and play it and rejoice in twelve years when it’s released. This is a fact.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Fwiw I completely agree that the game needs proper female representation. That was the main worry I took from the trailer.

I don't think we saw any party members other than the protagonist though? Assuming there even are other party members...

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Jetrauben posted:

Apparently, Yoshida said back in 2019 that:

That's...not promising.

Why not? All that says is that he wants to return to the fantasy aesthetics that established the series, and he’s not even the director.

I’ve been really busy these past few months and only just finished up Heavensward the other day, but if the dudes behind that expansion are helming this I feel like the game is in good hands.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

stev posted:

Fwiw I completely agree that the game needs proper female representation. That was the main worry I took from the trailer.

I don't think we saw any party members other than the protagonist though? Assuming there even are other party members...

There's one shot in the trailer that soooort of looks like you're fighting alongside another dude (lol), but nothing definitive. I think it could go either way at this point.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

stev posted:

These two things reflect my only concerns.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Why not? All that says is that he wants to return to the fantasy aesthetics that established the series, and he’s not even the director.

I’ve been really busy these past few months and only just finished up Heavensward the other day, but if the dudes behind that expansion are helming this I feel like the game is in good hands.

Look I absolutely want to be proven wrong, so we'll see.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Clarste posted:

Ok, that's not what I said though. I was responding to "I hope it's not a 1-character game" with "I believe the trailer shows the start of the game, which is why I'm not too worried." New PCs generally get introduced gradually in party RPGs.

I'm actually looking back at my few posts so far and I'm pretty sure I haven't directly disagreed with someone's opinion yet, so I'm not sure why you're quoting me about this at all.

e: jetrauben if I got in your face that was not my intention but I don't think I did so :confused:

I actually agree with you, I also hope that it is not single-character, and I also hope that it does not entirely take place in drab medieval towns; my personal opinion is that neither of those things will be the case!

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 17, 2020

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jetrauben posted:

Arguing about FF is the entire point of this thread

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Given there is no release date Im treating this as not much more than a pitch document, and its kind of boring visually.

That said, gameplay-wise it looks Dragons Dogma-esque and Im sure Im in for a plot where you kill the gods so itll probably be a fine time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lotta assumptions being made here based on one trailer for a game that probably won’t be out until 2023

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I wonder which will come first. FFVIIR Part 2 or FFXVI?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Why are people calling a bunch of Japanese characters "white dudes"

Is this like when people thought Tidus was white

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Augus posted:

lotta assumptions being made here based on one trailer for a game that probably won’t be out until 2023

That's a pretty optimistic timeline, imo.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Clarste posted:

That's a pretty optimistic timeline, imo.

Idk, yoshida runs a tight ship.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jetrauben posted:

And it was widely disliked for this. You're assuming I liked that, I didn't. 15 was widely panned for being a sausagefest

:confused:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Japan hasn't featured in any Final Fantasy games AFAIK.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Disliked in the sense of "it was criticized for being a sausage fest" even if it was otherwise liked, to be clear?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Would have been infinitely more interested in an Aranea-centered FF15

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Maybe this one will use 2 buttons for combat

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Tidus is pretty clearly Asian-looking in the FMVs. Maybe's hes mixed race

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Those are absolutely terrible scores for a AAA game in one of the biggest franchises on Earth. That's a decidedly B- game when they were hoping for an A+.

Like, I think FFXV is remember more fondly now than it was at release, but those are not good scores.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 17, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

XVI looks to be chasing an aesthetic i'm a bit bored of at this point, but I like XIV and it occasionally goes after similar vibes so perhaps it will surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

victrix posted:

So good

Yeah like

there's still stuff about this aesthetic I don't dig and I think it has a little too much GoT/Witcher hanging over it*

but I absolutely, without question, without hesitation, trust the guys at Biz3 to make an incredibly good Final Fantasy title in the 2020s. The team behind this will absolutely know what they are doing and can draw on resources to assist them as needed.

It'll be good, y'all.

* That said it does also look like it's going to be a bit savage to the idea of "nobility" since Joshua's family is clearly not portrayed sympathetically and it looks like even J himself may end up as an overarching villain? I'll be curious to see where they take this.