Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Manfred and the current group of owners are going to run the sport into the ground chasing every last possible penny.
:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

If they do 16 team playoffs they need to expand the league to 32 teams. More than half the teams in the playoffs is stupid.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

lmao of-loving-course

“Oh hey guys we’re gonna do some weird poo poo just for this season and I swear it’ll go back to normal after but oh noooooooooo I guess everyone loves these changes so my hands are tied and now we have to keep them by popular demand whooooooooooooops”

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It's so obviously a move to increase playoff revenue and decrease the incentive to pay free agents. I hope the union has the balls to go on strike if they need to for a better bargaining agreement.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
https://twitter.com/jaseidler/status/1306026230219669505?s=20

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

This is some false drat advertising, show me Bartolo playing shortstop you coward

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

All he needed was a much larger, much slower ball.

I kid, of course. He hit his homer and honestly sports could have ended there and then, but instead we get to watch his rotund self mash beer league dingers like he's the rest of us. What a time to be alive.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bartolo colon is better at hitting than I am at anything

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
You know, it's not a lot of fun when the Jays get hit for 18 runs and 20 runs all within a week.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Congrats to baseball for making the regular season meaningless and generating even less interest in every game.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I spent a long time crushing Selig for his arbitrary nonsense but Manfred is on an entirely different level.

I guess if we are going to let capitalism destroy our biosphere for profit, there’s no reason to think baseball is exempt or sacred in any way.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
A good article on the incoming Mets ownership, with a first paragraph that's quite well done:

The article posted:

It is unclear what rich people are for. In the most generous interpretation, the rich are here on earth for the same ineffably profound reasons that other people are: to create and aspire, to love and be loved, to live and die and eat the sandwiches of their choosing. But the ways in which extreme wealth continues to warp and diminish and generally impoverish the world raise the existential stakes significantly on the question. The people who have the most also tend to demand the most, and on a level that ordinary people can’t or won’t demand things. The rich fund institutions and armies of credentialed factotums to recast their greed and dull, atavistic desires as valid ideologies, and politicians spin all that corny dross into policies, and it all piles up downstream from there. It chokes, it floods. Some rich people also collect art, to be fair, although that’s mostly because art is currently the most expensive thing a person can collect.

https://defector.com/defective-dynasts-sell-new-york-mets-to-prolific-financial-criminal-fans-rejoice/

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves activated Cole Hamels, who after pitching to a single batter will immediately shatter into a thousand parts.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

elentar posted:

Braves activated Cole Hamels, who after pitching to a single batter will immediately shatter into a thousand parts.

He can get an out???? We're saved!!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

60 Day DL- Arm Explosion

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

blossommirage posted:

He can get an out???? We're saved!!

Who said it would be an out

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

more falafel please posted:

If they do 16 team playoffs they need to expand the league to 32 teams. More than half the teams in the playoffs is stupid.

Honestly with a 162 game season, having a playoff at all is stupid.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A 16 team playoff ensures that there’s really no incentive to build your roster to be much better than an 85-90 win team. Which is the point, of course.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rip this sport

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

80 win Cardinals World Series winners for ever

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

General Dog posted:

A 16 team playoff ensures that there’s really no incentive to build your roster to be much better than an 85-90 win team. Which is the point, of course.
Yup! If owners only cared about expanded playoffs for the extra tv money, they'd be happy with adding additional incentives to make a top seed worthwhile. Stuff like the 1-seed having to win 1 fewer games than their opponent in the opening round, or getting all home games, or a bye, etc.

But notice none of these kind of things get proposed by the league.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

If they’re set on expanding: 12-team playoffs, with the worst division leaders and the best wild card team hosting a best of three against the other two wild cards. Reseed after so best division winner is facing the worst remaining team. Then Division Series, LCS, WS as usual.

Going to 16, with a guaranteed spot for every second-place team, is just ugly in multiple ways.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Say what you will about the NFL, but it always at least projects a sense that it's desperate to keep the fans happy, perhaps to a fault. I don't know if I've ever seen one of the major leagues be so willing to just openly spit in the fans' face as Manfred's MLB. And that's coming from someone who wasn't especially unhappy with how the Astros scandal mas managed.

elentar posted:

with a guaranteed spot for every second-place team

I'd forgotten, is that the actual format this year, rather than it just being division winners plus five wild cards for each league? We're talking about sub-.500 teams occasionally getting in at that point.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 16, 2020

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

General Dog posted:

Say what you will about the NFL, but it always at least projects a sense that it's desperate to keep the fans happy, perhaps to a fault. I don't know if I've ever seen one of the major leagues be so willing to just openly spit in the fans' face as Manfred's MLB. And that's coming from someone who wasn't especially unhappy with how the Astros scandal mas managed.

I'd forgotten, is that the actual format this year, rather than it just being division winners plus five wild cards for each league? We're talking about sub-.500 teams occasionally getting in at that point.

Yes, the first and second spot from each division get postseason spots

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

General Dog posted:

There are currently two sub-.500 teams poised for a postseason spot, both in the NL. The Cardinals at 21-22 who are 2nd in the Central, and the Giants at 23-24 who have the last wild card spot. The Phillies are only 1 game above .500 and currently have the first wild card spot so we could easily have both wildcard teams sub-.500.

There is a non-zero chance the bottom 4 seeds in the NL all are below .500 when the dust settles.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 16, 2020

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
N: http://www.twitter.com/Phillies/status/1306353944101359617

V: lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1306348593830338561

V: Give Woodruff the GG you cowards

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

22 years old is pretty good

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Wouldn't it be the Gold Cleat?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I mean, he's only up because all other OF git hurt. Monaik is clearly not ready for major league pitching, but I really hope he finds the magic steroids or something

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dodgers become the first team to clinch a postseason berth this year, with 35 wins.

And they gave San Diego their first back to back losses in a month.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also apparently one of the hits Yu allowed last night got changed to an error today, so his ERA is now 1.86 instead of 2.00. Every little bit to try and edge out deGrom for that Cy I guess.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Imagine a team poppin bottles for finishing with 80 wins instead of 79 lol

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

James Paxton done for year per ESPN Ticker

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I want Yu to win a Cy this year so bad. Him and DeGrom are neck and neck right now tied with 2.4 bWAR. Fried is ahead with 2.9 so it's gonna come down to the wire.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Popete posted:

I want Yu to win a Cy this year so bad. Him and DeGrom are neck and neck right now tied with 2.4 bWAR. Fried is ahead with 2.9 so it's gonna come down to the wire.

good lord Fried was having an amazing year, hope he actually makes it back

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tatis went 1 for 12 in the series and is in the midst of quite a skid. Is Mookie gonna snag the MVP in the final week?

I'd also like to see Yu win the Cy this year, that'd be very cool.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

James Paxton done for year per ESPN Ticker

Man I feel so bad for him, he's got the talent and stuff to be a Top 10 pitcher in MLB but he just cannot loving stay healthy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is frank the only other two league MVPer when Mookie wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jesus Mookie was ridiculous in 2018