Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Tatis went 1 for 12 in the series and is in the midst of quite a skid. Is Mookie gonna snag the MVP in the final week?

I'd also like to see Yu win the Cy this year, that'd be very cool.

Outside of ~The Dodgers~ I'm not sure why Mookie would win it over Freeman, who is beating him in all three slashline stats, wRC+, K%, BB%, and fWAR:

e. Actually wow I keep looking at this and I didn't realize Freeman was this good this year. I've basically heard nothing about him in the MVP race: it's all been Mookie and Tatis. Is it just big market/narrative hype or something? Freeman's offensive numbers are loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No one cares about the braves

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

bawfuls posted:

Tatis went 1 for 12 in the series and is in the midst of quite a skid. Is Mookie gonna snag the MVP in the final week?

Freddie Freeman won’t win it but there’s a case to be made for him.

edit yes, beaten

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

euphronius posted:

Is frank the only other two league MVPer when Mookie wins
Yup. Would put quite an exclamation point on the trade.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Outside of ~The Dodgers~ I'm not sure why Mookie would win it over Freeman, who is beating him in all three slashline stats, wRC+, K%, BB%, and fWAR:

e. Actually wow I keep looking at this and I didn't realize Freeman was this good this year. I've basically heard nothing about him in the MVP race: it's all been Mookie and Tatis. Is it just big market/narrative hype or something? Freeman's offensive numbers are loving insane.
Mookie is beating him in bWAR (by a larger margin), the difference in defensive metrics is a lot right now for whatever reason.

If you go by Statcast defense, Mookie has 7 outs above average (top-10 in the NL) while Freddie has 0. page was showing me 2019 data or something, it's 2 vs 0 this year

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 17, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
bWAR cares way more about defense than fWAR, yeah. It is interesting that BRef has Mookie as worth 0.7 dWAR but Fangraphs has him at -0.5 Def value. loving defensive stats, man.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Defensive Metrics Are Bullshit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Defensive Metrics Are Bullshit

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I don't think there's yet been a clean way to put the data into WAR, but the Statcast outs above average strikes me as the best of the available defensive metrics. All I know is you can not convince me Mookie has been below replacement level on defense, that is an absurd result.

edit: maybe people are discouting Freeman's .372 babip? It's probably just "no one cares about Atlanta" though

Don't worry though, Bob has assured Freddie will win it now

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1306379855156506624

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 17, 2020

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Chamale posted:

It's so obviously a move to increase playoff revenue and decrease the incentive to pay free agents. I hope the union has the balls to go on strike if they need to for a better bargaining agreement.

I don't see how expanded playoffs means teams would spend less. The big payroll clubs will still compete for the top FAs, and there would be like twice as many teams with a shot at the playoffs who would have more of an incentive to sign some guys. Seems like the larger playoff field would drive up FA spending, if anything.

This might blow your mind but Bob Nightengale is wrong about something :aaa: (Tatis is 9 for 45 this month)

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 17, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why spend money when the entire thing is a crapshoot based on the indefatigable randomness of 1-3-5-7 game samples

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

The Pussy Boss posted:

I don't see how expanded playoffs means teams would spend less. The big payroll clubs will still compete for the top FAs, and there would be like twice as many teams with a shot at the playoffs who would have more of an incentive to sign some guys. Seems like the larger playoff field would drive up FA spending, if anything.

You don't need to spend a lot to get into the playoffs, you just need to be slightly better than less than half the other teams. Once you're in the playoffs it's mostly a crapshoot that any team has a chance of winning. It gives owners an excuse to not spend money to push the team to the top cause "hey we made the playoffs last year!".

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lol at having to explain the crapshoot nature of the MLB postseason to a Giants fan

that's a bit too on the nose

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The crap shoot nature was acceptable when legit good teams made the pakyofds only

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

yeah legit good teams like the 88 win Giants and 83 win Cardinals

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Wild card is garbage

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

You think Harper, Machado, Rendon (or guys who got mega-extensions like Trout, Arenado, etc) would've got less money if there were more playoff teams every year? Not being contrarian, I legit don't understand the argument.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

Jesus Mookie was ridiculous in 2018

:smith:

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
https://twitter.com/FOXSportsBraves/status/1306373029019213824

loving cursed

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

6 postseason teams, one from each division

Top record in each league gets a bye to the LCS

The other two division winners play a 3-game Wild Card Chaos Series with no off days, all at the home park of the higher seed

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

You think Harper, Machado, Rendon (or guys who got mega-extensions like Trout, Arenado, etc) would've got less money if there were more playoff teams every year? Not being contrarian, I legit don't understand the argument.
No, those guys would get paid regardless. It's the guys below that tier who become far less valuable when there is no real difference between 100 wins and 82.

edit: although I think over time those guys would lose out as well. If there really is no incentive to be any better than .500 then why bother with anyone who's reached free agency at all?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 17, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Popete posted:

You don't need to spend a lot to get into the playoffs, you just need to be slightly better than less than half the other teams.

It’s really not even that, if there’s 16 team playoffs there’s probably only 3 or 4 exceptionally bad teams who start the season as confident non-contenders.

You can always go to the media and fans after winter meetings and say with a straight face “I feel good about our playoff chances with the squad we’ve got, and once we get there anything can happen.”

Of course, they all say this already, but now it actually won’t be a lie.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 17, 2020

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bawfuls posted:

They won the world series therefore

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
LOL Higgy hit 3 homers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Well Yu just got a huge boost to his Cy chances given deGrom's start tonight.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Dodgers clinched tonight??? Didn't we start the season like 2 weeks ago? The season only has 2 weeks left?????

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Popete posted:

The Dodgers clinched tonight??? Didn't we start the season like 2 weeks ago? The season only has 2 weeks left?????

This is an insane abbreviated fake season. Unless the Giants outlast the Dodgers in the playoffs, in that case it's Real.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
So are the Jays just coasting knowing they have an 8th seed pretty much sewn up and will take this time to heal up Rowdy and Teoscar for the playoffs? Because I can't really fault them for that. But yikes!

https://twitter.com/KOAS1963/status/1306400990954958848

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I love watching Luke Voit hit dingers but tonight was especially majestic:

47 degrees! 178 foot apex! 7 second hang time!

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1306400473960853506?s=20

:swoon:

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This is an insane abbreviated fake season. Unless the Giants outlast the Dodgers in the playoffs, in that case it's Real.

They’ve also been stomping the entire league all season, they’ve only lost like 2 series and back to back games maybe like 3 times.

Even if it wasn’t hellworld it’s still pretty impressive.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

I love watching Luke Voit hit dingers but tonight was especially majestic:

47 degrees! 178 foot apex! 7 second hang time!

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1306400473960853506?s=20

:swoon:

It's pretty amazing that Voit and Urshela are both 100% legit star players and they got them for nothing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Buxton hit his 10th home run tonight which if you project that out over an entire season would be 15 for him this year. Pretty nice for a guy who would be hitting 8th or 9th in our normal lineup

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Buxton hit his 10th home run tonight which if you project that out over an entire season would be 15 for him this year. Pretty nice for a guy who would be hitting 8th or 9th in our normal lineup

The closest he came to a full season, 2017, had him put up similar numbers to this year. As we've been saying since he came up... is this the year Byron Buxton figures it all out?

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

bawfuls posted:

I don't think there's yet been a clean way to put the data into WAR, but the Statcast outs above average strikes me as the best of the available defensive metrics. All I know is you can not convince me Mookie has been below replacement level on defense, that is an absurd result.

Defense in WAR is based on an average fielder. It's saying he's been slightly below average, which isn't that absurd in sss

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

should have been 11 if not for the weak "stuck ball" ruling :mad:

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Don't a lot of defensive stats take multiple seasons to be regarded as stable? I feel like just in general, even if the stat is decent, fielding stats in an abbreviated season are just going to be innately shaky

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

A talking coyote posted:

They’ve also been stomping the entire league all season

They’re just playing the West teams though aren’t they?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

A talking coyote posted:

They’ve also been stomping the entire league all season, they’ve only lost like 2 series and back to back games maybe like 3 times.

Even if it wasn’t hellworld it’s still pretty impressive.
If you're talking about the Dodgers they have lost one series, to the Rockies at the beginning of September. They've lost back-to-back thrice yes, and never more than 2 in a row.

But yeah they've only played West teams cause it's 2020. The best team they've played is SD, going 6-4. They will see Oakland for the first time next week (when playoff seeding reeeeally won't matter). Otherwise their competition has been pretty soft, such is the nature of this season.

What's wild is they have a .700 winning percentage despite how many good Dodgers haven't really played well this year. Bellinger, Pederson, Lux, & Muncy are all having kinda down years at the plate. Buehler has never looked right and is now struggling with a blister. Kenley is really inconsistent, etc.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 17, 2020

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Milovan Drecun posted:

Defense in WAR is based on an average fielder. It's saying he's been slightly below average, which isn't that absurd in sss

I mean, it’s absurd to me, a person who has watched every dodgers game. Defensive metrics are trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
the fangraphs defensive rating thing I think adjusts really really hard for position which is why Matt Olson is a comfortable career negative despite being probably the best defensive first basemen in the game the last few years. Mookie's at or near the top in like every overall fielding stat I could think to check among RFs