Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
ME1 was kind of janky and dated even when it came out (lol @ inventory management) but it set up an interesting world. Very KotOR 1-ish, but with better combat.
ME2 had fantastic crew members (Miranda and her constant rear end-cam aside), but the main plot was nonsense bullshit, and the Illusive Man was such a gary stu it hurt
ME3 took the grand space opera setting and went "hey, what if Earth was actually the special-est and most important??" and "HERE'S A CHILD, YOU CARE ABOUT THEM :saddowns:" and I couldn't bring myself to care about any of it.

ME Andromeda may or may not have have been good, but I never played it because my first impression was this:

:downsbravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I think DK64 was one of the only games to make me properly rage as a kid but I fuckin beat those arcade games and 100% the game

Also I would definitely buy a mass effect trilogy even though or perhaps because of the fact I was one of the nerds who had strong opinions about the end of 3, the whole trilogy was still some of the best times I've had in gaming and I didn't play most of the dlc so I'd love to go back and tarnish nostalgia by actually playing the thing

I was weird and actually enjoyed the mako sections in 1 and the planet scanning in 2, felt kind of zen

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ME Andromeda is genuinely one of the worst games I've ever played. It was like a bad fan mod for ME3

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIvSmFpkmMU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If you want to play Bioware stuff and can't stand the whacky writing I recommend switching the audio to another language, it makes it more bearable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why does Mario run around like he's on an ice slick all the time?

What monster decided that jump rope minigame was a good idea?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Waltzing Along posted:

Mass Effect 1 is among the best games of all time.
ME2 is among the most overrated games of all time.
ME3 is among the worst games of all time.

100% agreed!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

me1 8/10
me2 10/10
me3 6.5/10

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Haven't seen it posted here, to celebrate Undertale's 5th anniversary from now until 10/4 you can buy Groove Coaster Wai Wai Party and get the Undertale pack (usually $16) for free

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Me: 8/10
Also me: 9/10

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Dabir posted:

donkey kong country isn't good, it was never good, you were just 12 and it had 3d looking graphics. donkey kong 3 and 64 have worse reputations because the people who seeded the internet's opinions about that era of games were old enough to realise they were playing some real poo poo by then

Oh God. There's a lot of bad takes peppers throughout this thread. But... Wow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have tried, time and time again, to even mildly enjoy DKC (any of them) and it still isn't happening for me. I don't hate it, but the slippery controls, and also the fact that I just don't care about DK or any of the jungle/animal themed stuff just turn me off of it every time I start to play it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It's true that donkey Kong country is a lot more spectacle than substance. But if you remove the graphics you still have a decent platformer.

Not great or timeless but decent. Everything else does elevate it quite a bit higher in my opinion, especially the music. It's good a good vibe man.

It's not unlike Mega Man being made a much much better franchise because of its music. That series has the benefit of working with tight polished gameplay but still without the music you're missing a big part of what makes it special

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
DKC2 is a legit great game and it's madness to suggest otherwise. The only thing keeping it from being one of the best games every is that every boss fight is horrendous.

The other DKC games are pretty trash though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've never met anyone who was able to explain what made a DKC game good other than just waving vaguely in its direction and going "it's a good platformer man"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Idk how you can call games that are exceedingly similar "legit great" and "pretty trash".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dabir posted:

I've never met anyone who was able to explain what made a DKC game good other than just waving vaguely in its direction and going "it's a good platformer man"

they played it and had fun

is that scientific enough for you

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

yeah, cause they were 12, like I said

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dabir posted:

yeah, cause they were 12, like I said

Played dkc with a friend over the weekend, it was a good fun time

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Dabir posted:

I have good news, insufferable competitive video games man David Sirlin wrote an article about Donkey Kong Country for some reason

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Donkey Kong Country is a weird series. I only ever played the first one growing up and thought it had a cool aesthetic. When I saw 2 and 3 later they just looked... wrong.

Like 2 is still mostly solid design-wise, and Dixie has great character design, but most of the bosses and a lot of the new level stuff feels weird and like it doesn't really fit with the stuff recycled from the previous game. Then 3 doubles down and makes the graphics even weirder and Kiddy Kong is the loving worst.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Dabir posted:

Can you be more specific with what you don't like? I'm playing it for the first time and I think the hit boxes aren't great and the controls are a little floaty for me but the graphics are beautiful, there is a great attention to details, the levels are varied and generally interesting. I'm about half through and I'm really enjoying it. It's pretty, interesting, and that makes it fun.

Not to give you homework but just saying it sucks because people arent specific about why they like a thing is a boring take.

:thejoke:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Please give us info on the next Xenoblade game.

Announcing PSO2 for Switch and giving us more details about New Genesis also counts because that update looked like XC with the numbers partially covered by tape.

Junkie Disease posted:

Ogre
Battle
Switch

God, imagine an Ogre Battle collection with MOTBQ(psx version), LUCT(psx and/or PSP version), KOL, and 64. They could charge $60 and I'd pay it. :shepspends:

Blaziken386 posted:

ME Andromeda may or may not have have been good

Narrator: It wasn't.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I don't like how flat Donkey Kong Country feels. So horizontal. Like I put it in the same game feel category as Pit Fall.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

The Silver Snail posted:

I don't like how flat Donkey Kong Country feels. So horizontal. Like I put it in the same game feel category as Pit Fall.

Rare agreed with you, that's why DKC3 had awful rocket barrel and rope climbing levels

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

ME1 was kind of janky and dated even when it came out (lol @ inventory management) but it set up an interesting world. Very KotOR 1-ish, but with better combat.
ME2 had fantastic crew members (Miranda and her constant rear end-cam aside), but the main plot was nonsense bullshit, and the Illusive Man was such a gary stu it hurt
ME3 took the grand space opera setting and went "hey, what if Earth was actually the special-est and most important??" and "HERE'S A CHILD, YOU CARE ABOUT THEM :saddowns:" and I couldn't bring myself to care about any of it.

ME Andromeda may or may not have have been good, but I never played it because my first impression was this:

:downsbravo:

The biggest condemnation against ME:A is the outstanding ME3 multiplayer that was wildly popular and had tons of people spending $$$ on loot packs was dropped from ME:A.

That and the planned DLC was literally cancelled leaving massive portions of the game story unresolved.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

pentyne posted:

The biggest condemnation against ME:A is the outstanding ME3 multiplayer that was wildly popular and had tons of people spending $$$ on loot packs was dropped from ME:A.

That and the planned DLC was literally cancelled leaving massive portions of the game story unresolved.

No it was that Andromeda was buggy rushed trash that didn't hold a candle to the worst of the original trilogy.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've played maybe three classic platformers where just controlling the character is enough to make me have fun with the basic platformer gameplay loop of jumping over stuff and collecting floating items. Off the top of my head I can only think of Mario, Sonic, and Commander Keen. The basic platformer gameplay loop is just not super fun to me on its own. It's like the plate on which something interesting must be served if I'm going to be sucked in, and DKC feels like mostly plate. I basically feel that way about Crash Bandicoot as well.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Truman Sticks posted:

Rare agreed with you, that's why DKC3 had awful rocket barrel and rope climbing levels

And I agree with Rare, I thought that 3 was pretty good when I played it at the Circuit City demo kiosk.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The original DKC is just okay but DKC 2 has such good visuals, level design, music, and secrets that I keep coming back to playing it over and over years after the fact. It's easily a top 5 all-time 2D platformer IMO.

There's a guy on Youtube who reconstructed the OSTs for all 3 games by finding the synthesizers and sounds used to make each track and recreating them from the ground up so they don't have the SNES compression. It's not one-to-one (the scream on Disco Train is only accurate on the 15-minute extended version for some reason) but I'd love to play hacks with the remastered(?) versions in.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
For me it's easy to quantify what I don't like about DKC. It gets boring and tedious, especially towards the second half. And in typical level based platformer fashion, you're gonna see some of the same backgrounds/themes over and over again for the entire game even if the map looks super dynamic and full of unique places.

Finally, the basic platforming is just kind of meh? This is more subjective but it feels ok to move around, not really great or fun by itself

Dkc2 does have excellent art design, direction, and music. I still get bored halfway through each world and can't be arsed to properly beat the last worlds. I just save scummed because dear god I wanted it to end so bad when I replayed it 2 yrs ago

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
So many minecarts and barrels and obstacles where you have to wait and time a jump right. The main enemy is impatience here because everything is designed to be annoying and kill you right away.The moment to moment gameplay is just not that good imo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The last several pages have taught me that Donkey Kong Country and Mass Effect are basically identical series.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i'm so sorry everyone

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Mega64 posted:

The last several pages have taught me that Donkey Kong Country and Mass Effect are basically identical series.

As someone who has played the first two DKC games but never Mass Effect I am going to accept this blindly as truth from now on.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Violen posted:

i'm so sorry everyone

Apologize for nothing, you did everything right including praising DKC3. :colbert:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mario 64 is one of the best games of all time. If i could suffer through the DS version im sure the switch one is ok

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

nrook posted:

I have good news, insufferable competitive video games man David Sirlin wrote an article about Donkey Kong Country for some reason

I read an article by this guy once about his fighting game philosophies and tips and stuff

It was like "You do what it takes to win, any time you play. It's a competition, so do nothing less than the maximum - to do otherwise is an insult to your opponent. If a character's better than any other, use them. If a move or strategy is the best, use it. There's no such thing as 'degenerate play'; anything within the game's rules is valid, and if the people you play with don't like it they're holding you back."

And I was like "Well, I disagree pretty strongly, but it's valid viewpoint, and I suppose it's a sensible one for tournament players to have."

Then like two pages later he's all "In Street Fighter 2 EXtreme (or whatever), you can use Akuma, but nobody does it because he's so much better. It's a gentleman's agreement in the community. . ."

And I lost a shitload of respect for him.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
If it's the same article I'm thinking of I knew many people when I was younger who used that article to justify toxic behavior because "getting under your opponent's skin is a valid tactic" :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Have people started obsessively planning a 3D Allstars 2 with 3D Land and Galaxy 2 in it yet?