Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh

Craptacular! posted:

Creative made “Graphics Blaster” graphics cards back in the day when even getting Win95 desktop to appear needed an add-in card. 3D accelerators like 3Dfx Voodoo came around and were sold under the branding “3D Blaster”.

Nvidia’s big thing that made them emerge as a major player was merging together the basic desktop card and the 3D accelerator that took over in certain games together into one card with drivers that weren’t abhorrently bad (hello, ATI.)

Onboard sound, onboard video, onboard networking, onboard storage controllers, children take these things for granted. We used to have motherboards with 8 slots for this reason.

This is also one of the reasons for the beginning of the end for 3dfx as it had a hell of a time getting proper integrated 2D/3D solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Nvidia should just emulate the Voodoo cards with the external power adapters

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Craptacular! posted:

Onboard sound, onboard video, onboard networking, onboard storage controllers, children take these things for granted. We used to have motherboards with 8 slots for this reason.

I remember when Creative was a real company because you needed a card either from them or Turtle Beach (or some other very bit players) or you simply didn't have sound. Motherboards integrating sound cards capable of making more than your basic office beeps and pings was mind blowing at the time.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

DrDork posted:

I remember when Creative was a real company because you needed a card either from them or Turtle Beach (or some other very bit players) or you simply didn't have sound. Motherboards integrating sound cards capable of making more than your basic office beeps and pings was mind blowing at the time.

Diamond made an Aureal A3d Vortex 2 card and it owned.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do you think B&H will have the Founder's Edition card?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Only Nvidia and Best Buy

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any idea at around what time the order will go live on Nvidia store?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

My first video card was back in like 2002 or something, it was a 4600 TI, which apparently was a really good card at the time. I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing, I went to fuckin Electronics Boutique and ordered one our of a catalog.

When it came in and I went to pick it up, the employee asked me how it felt to have the fastest video card in the world. It was embarrassing as poo poo

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

HOLY gently caress ITS UP

https://t.co/eLAj4IAMZ3?amp=1

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I just see out of stock and notify me.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Then you missed out; mine's already out for delivery to my home where my computer is also located

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Managed to get my order, paypal says Newegg is still processing the order because they are being overwhelmed right now probably.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

shrike82 posted:

Only Nvidia and Best Buy

Oh that's a bummer. The video I watched made the FE cooler look pretty good though, right? Otherwise I'd prefer B&H.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

SEA graphics card tax continues to be absurd. For EG Hong Kong's cheapest seems to be 900USD. (For the 3080).

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ulio posted:

HOLY gently caress ITS UP

https://t.co/eLAj4IAMZ3?amp=1

I managed to order through Apple Pay on the Newegg app, got an order number and it's processing. So I'm crossing my fingers.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I managed to order through Apple Pay on the Newegg app, got an order number and it's processing. So I'm crossing my fingers.

It seems like it's processing for everyone. They are showing it's out stock now so I am guessing those that got order number will get served at least a certain amount depending on the stock. Others will get refunded or wait.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
How long would you wager it was up and live for, out of curiosity?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wrar posted:

Diamond made an Aureal A3d Vortex 2 card and it owned.

I had the Monster Sound and I remember the punk girl screaming looking like the lead singer if No Doubt

The card and I remember that baby poo poo green CD saving my rear end so many times in college.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Literal minutes.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The Ventus was up for 6 minutes and the Trio was up for 5 minutes. Right after newegg tweeted 6 am pacific. :v:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think 3 minutes? I follow a bot on twitter who posts deals for electronics, I was looking at my twitter feed and this guy tweeted at that same moment that it had gone live. I think by the time I posted here people said it was out of stock and I told my best friend who is also getting one.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Just got an email from Newegg, got voided.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A Proper Uppercut posted:

My first video card was back in like 2002 or something, it was a 4600 TI, which apparently was a really good card at the time. I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing, I went to fuckin Electronics Boutique and ordered one our of a catalog.

When it came in and I went to pick it up, the employee asked me how it felt to have the fastest video card in the world. It was embarrassing as poo poo
I replaced my Kyro II (anyone remember those with the sexy blue PCB?) with a Ti4200 in 2002 that was an open box from Best Buy that I randomly happened upon, possibly for around $80? The Ti4200 came in a version with faster 64MB or slower 128MB and apparently they performed similarly? Crazy. I had a 19” NEC FE950+ so I was probably at 1600x1200 which is basically the same number of pixels as 1080p.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ulio posted:

I think 3 minutes? I follow a bot on twitter who posts deals for electronics, I was looking at my twitter feed and this guy tweeted at that same moment that it had gone live. I think by the time I posted here people said it was out of stock and I told my best friend who is also getting one.

Do you mind posting that twitter account here? I've got Newegg, Amazon, Best Buy and Nvidia's site all up and I can't hit f5 on them all fast enough.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

To hell with these drat Twitter bots, I’m gonna be 8-Bit Miniboss’ avatar. Just jack into the internet for the most radical deals. My eyes roll and snap around as I spot the freshest sales.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
oh poo poo i just almost got an msi from newegg, another sku went up but by the time i hit confirm order it was down.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

axeil posted:

Do you mind posting that twitter account here? I've got Newegg, Amazon, Best Buy and Nvidia's site all up and I can't hit f5 on them all fast enough.

https://twitter.com/Wario64

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just got an email from Newegg, got voided.

Same. I was so excited rip. Gonna reopen all the closed tabs.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ulio posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64

Same. I was so excited rip. Gonna reopen all the closed tabs.

Thanks

I've made a wishlist on each site with all the 3080 SKUs and I'm hitting refresh on that. At this point I don't really care which one I get so long as it's not a ZOTAC.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

I had the Monster Sound and I remember the punk girl screaming looking like the lead singer if No Doubt

The card and I remember that baby poo poo green CD saving my rear end so many times in college.

My Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer came with Descent 3 which was the first game I ever got addicted to. Took my saved birthday money, walked to the local Walmart and bought a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D.

A few months later I discovered Counter-Strike and it basically ruined me in high school.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

fingers crossed it worked

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

sean10mm posted:

Yeah imagine being bitchmade over a $700 card only being 20-30% faster sometimes than the $1,700 card people were buying last month lol

yeah gently caress

and Ray tracing is cool as hell

Waiting for cyberpunk 2077 to see what this can do before buying anything

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol Reddit is saying the Philly MC only has 11 cards in store

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

I can't say anything more specific without getting anyone in trouble, and this is gonna sound extremely "my uncle works at Nintendo", but one of the largest GPU retailers on this side of the country just received low-single-digit number of cards across all manufacturers to sell tomorrow. As in no loving way are you getting one.

"There's now enough people camped outside that 98% of them aren't getting anything? Why don't you tell all but the first bunch of people?"

"One, it's against the rules to give any information on quantity, and two, they're all price fixers anyway; let 'em camp"

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

axeil posted:

fingers crossed it worked

From newegg.CA . I got the same thing about 40 minutes earlier than you and it says it ran out of stock.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ulio posted:

From newegg.CA . I got the same thing about 40 minutes earlier than you and it says it ran out of stock.

Aw crap. :smith: Well it still says "Processing" under order status so I'm crossing my fingers!

Have all the Nvidia launches been this nuts? This is literally the first time since I first built a PC in 1999 that I've bought Nvidia.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Man if this is the 3080 launch, the 3090 is going to 10x worse

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I just got in on one of the newegg cards too. Seems like they keep switching it from oos to available to purchase every few minutes. Same though, fingers crossed it doesn't get cancelled.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

It popped back up on Newegg, trying again. You'd think they would turn off the SKU page...

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

Man if this is the 3080 launch, the 3090 is going to 10x worse

I dont think it will be, most people won't be buying that one since its what 1500 usd for maybe 20% more over the 3080?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Btw the guys heads up. becareful if you are only on bestbuy. Their site has had issues due to PS5 preorders, apparently people are having trouble checking out on screens and basically anything else. Don't think their servers will be able to handle the f5 spam.

I am going to stick to Newegg and Nvidia.com.