Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an rear end in a top hat. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Horizon: Forbidden West for either system, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel H:FW for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

The Grey posted:

I think it's that Sony pitched them as being built from the ground up for PS5, and now we find out that PS4 can handle them.

ah okay, in that case I can see being let down if they made such statements. Maybe they can do it on a case by case basis, like new IPs that were never built for PS4...

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I mean, I don't think there's any real basis for doubting what Insomniac or Guerrilla will achieve on a technical level, so I'd be pretty surprised and disappointed if there were big concessions made, but I do think most of the Microsoft first party output doesn't really have the same confidence, especially after the Halo showing.

Nuts and Gum posted:

ah okay, in that case I can see being let down if they made such statements. Maybe they can do it on a case by case basis, like new IPs that were never built for PS4...

Plus, it's silly but I imagine there's more than a few people who are just straight up disappointed that being an early adopter of next gen isn't as 'exclusive'.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Next we'll find out that Ratchet & Clank can somehow do the warping sections on PS4 too.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Grey posted:

Next we'll find out that Ratchet & Clank can somehow do the warping sections on PS4 too.

Something like that would be genuinely quite a blow, I think, though I'm curious to see more of what they're doing there.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Dan Didio posted:

I mean, I don't think there's any real basis for doubting what Insomniac or Guerrilla will achieve on a technical level, so I'd be pretty surprised and disappointed if there were big concessions made, but I do think most of the Microsoft first party output doesn't really have the same confidence, especially after the Halo showing.

Plus, it's silly but I imagine there's more than a few people who are just straight up disappointed that being an early adopter of next gen isn't as 'exclusive'.

I still think it's silly. Unless there's obvious concessions like it didn't do any Ray tracing or VRR or didn't support quick resume.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

univbee posted:

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an rear end in a top hat. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Horizon: Forbidden West for either system, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel H:FW for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

There's been some real rough cross-gen games in the past, nothing with the pedigree of those two in terms of developer ability, but still, I don't think it's absurd to be concerned.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
the two cross gen games are the two with versions on the current hardware

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

the two cross gen games are the two with versions on the current hardware
Cool guess this means Ragnarok is getting a PS4 release as well.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

American McGay posted:

Cool guess this means Ragnarok is getting a PS4 release as well.

probably

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

If Ragnarok gets a PS4 release, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

American McGay posted:

Nah it just sounds like impulse control. If you're making purchasing decisions based on what's currently available for you to preorder right now and not which one has the games you want to play or even which one comes out first (hint: it's not the PS5) then you're definitely a slave to the moment.

I was always planning on getting both eventually but if it was one only at launch it would've been the Xbox.

Regardless of my impulse control they should have had preorders ready at the same time.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

univbee posted:

who are they screwing over? its not like they only said it after selling pre-orders

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I was always planning on getting both eventually but if it was one only at launch it would've been the Xbox.

how

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
the xbox comes out two entire days earlier, how will you live with yourself, unable to play all those exclusive xbox launch titles like

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It doesn't even really seem like Sony had pre-orders ready at this time, so I'm not sure how Xbox was supposed to.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Celexi posted:

who are they screwing over? its not like they only said it after selling pre-orders

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/final-fantasy-xiii-confirmed-for-xbox-360.327004/page-36#post-11960243

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's cool that six posts down from that, in 2008, there's a guy talking about the possibility of Final Fantasy 7 Remake being announced tomorrow.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think either company is making a good argument to convince people to spend money on new hardware now

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Neither console has games and 3rd party games look better on xbox.

If I didn't move to Australia I'd be less interested in ps5 but no one plays Xbox here. Everyone at my work is PS/PC.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

It's cool that six posts down from that, in 2008, there's a guy talking about the possibility of Final Fantasy 7 Remake being announced tomorrow.

Someone on NeoGAF at one point bumped a nearly decade-only thread where someone was flabbergasted they'd have to wait until something like Summer 2008 for Half-Life 2 Episode 3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think either company is making a good argument to convince people to spend money on new hardware now

guess people see it otherwise

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rinkles posted:

guess people see it otherwise

Sony's doing such a good job of it they're also convincing the webstore server admins to spend money on new hardware.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Regardless of my impulse control they should have had preorders ready at the same time.
I mean, Microsoft told people when pre-orders would be available a week ago.

Sony on the other hand told people back in July that they'd give people plenty of advance notice for pre-orders, made a bunch of current customers sign up for an exclusive mailing list to get notified when pre-orders start, tweeted out today after the show that "some store will be doing limited pre-orders tomorrow" and then 15 minutes later stores started putting up their pre-order pages.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

univbee posted:

Someone on NeoGAF at one point bumped a nearly decade-only thread where someone was flabbergasted they'd have to wait until something like Summer 2008 for Half-Life 2 Episode 3.

That is awesome.

If I didn't move to Australia I'd be less interested in ps5 but no one plays Xbox here. Everyone at my work is PS/PC.

During the 360 days, I feel like it was the exact opposite, but there's probably hard data disproving that.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Neither console has games and 3rd party games look better on xbox.

citation needed

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The Grey posted:

Series X is $200 more then Series S.

Yes and the PS5DE, the console I said made the seriesS a joke, is $100 more

For an additional clue, the PS5DE has more games, the seriesX has exactly the same games as the SeriesS

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

During the 360 days, I feel like it was the exact opposite, but there's probably hard data disproving that.

If you mean in Australia, I think Microsoft actually had in-country servers there while Sony didn't at that time. Was beneficial both for low lag and also because at the time ISPs had severe data caps on out-of-country data so you could download stuff on Xbox without incurring overages while you couldn't with PS3.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, maybe that's it, speaking anectdotally, I remember everyone having a 360 and like, one or two of my friends having a PS3.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

AdmiralViscen posted:

For an additional clue, the PS5DE has more games, the seriesX has exactly the same games as the SeriesS

It might even go beyond that.

Is there an Xbox Series S/X launch game that won't be available on PlayStation?
Is there even a Series S/X launch game that won't be available on Xbox One?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

American McGay posted:

Notice how PS2 is at the top of the list, Xbox is at the bottom of the list?
Now notice how PS3 and Xbox 360 are right next to each other?

That is how you properly read that chart.

hmm another way to ready it is the least successful playstation still outsold the only successful xbox

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

ethanol posted:

hmm another way to ready it is the least successful playstation still outsold the only successful xbox

:yeeclaw:

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
From my Australian memory the PS3 was insanely priced in comparison and overlapped a recession

https://twitter.com/ConsumeProgeny/status/1270933604416098304

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That sounds about right.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

yes i'm sure sony would continue being the good guy when there's zero competition lmao

xbox isnt competition and hasnt been for 7 years. theres plenty of other competition thats more relevant both in what they offer and how they directly compete with sony. if the only competition is xbox then they already have zero competition.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

American McGay posted:

I mean, Microsoft told people when pre-orders would be available a week ago.

Sony on the other hand told people back in July that they'd give people plenty of advance notice for pre-orders, made a bunch of current customers sign up for an exclusive mailing list to get notified when pre-orders start, tweeted out today after the show that "some store will be doing limited pre-orders tomorrow" and then 15 minutes later stores started putting up their pre-order pages.

When are xbox preorders going up? I missed that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The 22nd I think.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ethanol posted:

Their marketshare shrinking from over 80% to 30% in a single generation seems like the bigger takeaway but hey I'm not an economist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

American McGay posted:

Their marketshare shrinking from over 80% to 30% in a single generation seems like the bigger takeaway but hey I'm not an economist.

Yeah but that market share has been going to mobile games, not Microsoft or Nintendo, lol.