Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

Discless for 400 seems like a bad deal long term, since you won't be able to get cheap used games

This is important since games are gonna start costing $70 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The other issue with diskless is it seems like you'd have to shell out pretty early on for more storage space. I have like...two digital Switch games and I've already had to archive a bunch of my physical cart data just to have enough room for the ten games I own

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/0...ray-disc-drive/

Everything is also on ps4 except maybe that astrobot pack in game

Not Demon's Souls :negative:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The other issue with diskless is it seems like you'd have to shell out pretty early on for more storage space. I have like...two digital Switch games and I've already had to archive a bunch of my physical cart data just to have enough room for the ten games I own

There's no way on earth you aren't going to have to install any disc game you buy

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
HZD 2 coming to PS4 is great news. I’m in no rush to upgrade consoles and looks like I’ll be able to wait even longer.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

lets hang out posted:

There's no way on earth you aren't going to have to install any disc game you buy

Especially with the fancy custom SSD

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Discless for 400 seems like a bad deal long term, since you won't be able to get cheap used games

I've realized that I bought maybe five games on disc this generation and none that I really care to keep, they're just worth nothing so I'm not too hung up on it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

no matter how cheap you can find something on sale digitally, you can almost always get it cheaper on disc, i'm not gonna buy a ps5 but the digital one is for suckers

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

You can get Death Stranding right now from Gamestop for 20$, if you want a digital version it's gonna be full 60$. Discless is, certainly, not it

e: my collection grows

Finished Games List:

March: AI Somnium Files
April: Persona 5 Royal
August: Nexomon
September: Paradise Killer, Parasite Eve 2, Langrisser I

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 17, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Digital games never get priced to move because digital games don't have to worry about shelf space.

E: Granted, the last four games I bought were digital, but that was partially pandemic reasons

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i've been fairly happy with digital only purchases the last few years. usually only have to wait a few months for steep discounts on psn. i rarely spend more than $20 on a game.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I always have to remind myself the three games I spent the most time on this year are a mapgame, a decade-old MMO, and a point and click indie game, maybe I don't need new hardware Right Here Right Now

That’s a good point. I haven’t had a PC for 4+ years so I have tons of PC exclusives to catch up on

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rinkles posted:

i've been fairly happy with digital only purchases the last few years. usually only have to wait a few months for steep discounts on psn. i rarely spend more than $20 on a game.

Yeah, this is what has me thinking of just going for the digital version. I'm going to have to install on-disc games anyway and I've bought maybe two or three games on disc in the entire time I've had my PS4.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Gamestop's website got so bombarded with PS5 preorder traffic that it tripped their DDOS prevention

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1306389356832325638?s=20

Does this mean Gamestop lives for a bit longer?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

GameStops where my friends live in NC are sold out already, I have friends who manage the stores

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

With $399 as the cheapest option, no financing plans, a pandemic putting millions out of work and the general public's apathy about whether games are on the pc or not, i don't see the ps5 doing quite as well as the rest of you do, at least in the launch.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

With $399 as the cheapest option, no financing plans, a pandemic putting millions out of work and the general public's apathy about whether games are on the pc or not, i don't see the ps5 doing quite as well as the rest of you do, at least in the launch.

It's already sold out everywhere that offered it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man you know whats gonna be hosed

Both consoles are gonna release before Black Friday

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Digital games never get priced to move because digital games don't have to worry about shelf space.

E: Granted, the last four games I bought were digital, but that was partially pandemic reasons

There are digital sales constantly at this point, though next gen stuff will likely not be as generous for a couple of years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, I don't like super care either way, Spider-Man's gonna be on PS4 so I'm gonna wait until a price drop or Final Fantasy.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The upcoming generation has been a goldmine for people getting argumentative about stuff and then flipping 180 on their opinion a month later so that's fun.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

victrix posted:

It's already sold out everywhere that offered it

That is every launch pre order scenario

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

hatty posted:

I’ll wait a year before buying a PS5 anyway. Never buy a console for one game imo

I'm buying it for no games (I'll probably grab demon souls on release but we'll see) but to play my ps4 games on a system that won't sound like a jet engine and 4k blu rays on my new six series TLC 55 4K inch I'm buying on Black Friday :agesilaus:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hatty posted:

I think Microsoft is betting that not everyone wants to deal with PC stuff.

theyre right but theyre forgetting the part where theyre the ones people are buying from

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does this mean Gamestop lives for a bit longer?

At least my store told me they aren't one of the 300 cut (and they know sister stores two hours away that are closing down).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

homeless snail posted:

no matter how cheap you can find something on sale digitally, you can almost always get it cheaper on disc, i'm not gonna buy a ps5 but the digital one is for suckers

this is frankly shockingly incorrect at this point sorry lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i bought zero disc games for the last two generations so to me the disc ps5 is a $100 mark up for no reason but also im not getting one i want to make my pc good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stux posted:

this is frankly shockingly incorrect at this point sorry lol
it really isnt. psn has some really good sales but almost every time I think "oh i'm gonna buy this game for $20" I check how much the disc is going for and its $10-15

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i bought like 10 ps4 games at gamestop for about $6 each recently. good ones too, good ones like bladestorm nightmare

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

homeless snail posted:

it really isnt. psn has some really good sales but almost every time I think "oh i'm gonna buy this game for $20" I check how much the disc is going for and its $10-15

i got like 50% of all ps4 exclusives from plus, which i share over two consoles w my brother and only pay half of, and we can buy digital games for half each on sale and both play it. also it has rarely been the case that the deep sales years later are matched by used discs here at all. im a patient man.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also i dont want to use discs cos they suck and are annoying and discs and the casing are just future landfill vs some data over a cable ftw

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

homeless snail posted:

i bought like 10 ps4 games at gamestop for about $6 each recently. good ones too, good ones like bladestorm nightmare

you're right

it does have a good rating

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i don't plan on throwing it away, so it won't enter the landfill until after i die, and the museum that i donate my video game collection to goes bankrupt

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

theyre right but theyre forgetting the part where theyre the ones people are buying from

make windows into a good tv experience and stop botching hardware

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rinkles posted:

you're right

it does have a good rating
ratings dont lie, bloodstorm nightmare's a hit

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

discs die. also switch carts arent rom so theyre just nand flash and will die. at least if theyre all on a 256gb sd card like mine its just one card that dies. digital future ftw.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Physical is good as an option because world internet bad

but lol@not just deleting poo poo and redownloading 100gb whenever you feel like playing some AAA game

Plus at this point I'm actively missing free (psplus, gamepass, egs) or nearly free (bundle anything) games on the regular and I don't give a poo poo because there are so many games now you could have unlimited freetime until you die and you'll never keep up

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Stux posted:

the other really really important difference is botw gives you basically all the main tools you use at the start, and there are not very many. there is no progression at all outside of the beast moves and really only the jump one actually changes how you get around. because of this its never rewarding to do all the side stuff either, you get chests which have nothing of worth in ever outside of like that one set of shrines that gives you the climbing outfit, and you get inventory/hp/stam upgrades.

ds there is not only a clear forward progression of what sam can do it never stops, and doing extra deliveries to level up the different people gives you new items and tangible upgrades. its honestly been wild how many tools you get, i thought i was at the end of getting new stuff cos im pushing into the end of the game but im not, i just got another 2 new tools i didnt have at all. also the way the world is designed is so intelligent, the first area is obviously arranged for on foot, you get a bike at the end of it then go off to the main section where your mobility and carrying capacity just keeps growing and growing until you get up to the mountains and suddenly all the tools youd been unlocking but not making a huge amount of use of bcos of the truck and the roads come back because you need to go back to doing things on foot, and in a harder environment as well. ive made the entire area zipline heaven it owns.

and most importantly it has the shield surfing with the cargo carrier but it doesnt just demolish the thing instantly, its fun and they know its fun and so they let you do it as much as you want. and flipping the open world towers around so you have the map already and the new contacts just unlock the online stuff owns, much more intelligent use of it and its actually integrated into the game, youre not having to trek off to some random tower, you just unlock the stuff as you deliver your goods. and the online part is really cool.

I beat BotW boss the first time without doing the bird dungeon, after doing the other ones, I realized I was just trivializing the boss fight more and more and figured I would just get some other periodic power I didn't need to make me even more invincible. Second time I played I basically went straight for that dungeon, it's not the greatest gamechanger in the game but it is basically the only one you ever get

Rinkles posted:

that's not how i expected zelda to sound

lol jeez i forgot how awful the voice they gave her was. What's with that goober accent! Did Hyrule get colonized by the british at some point?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

victrix posted:

Physical is good as an option because world internet bad

but lol@not just deleting poo poo and redownloading 100gb whenever you feel like playing some AAA game

Plus at this point I'm actively missing free (psplus, gamepass, egs) or nearly free (bundle anything) games on the regular and I don't give a poo poo because there are so many games now you could have unlimited freetime until you die and you'll never keep up
i guess the other end of it is that AAA games take me like 2 days to download, and unless its some stupid poo poo like call of duty the patches usually aren't that big to get a disc copy up to date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I refuse to switch out cartridges, i already have a job