Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Doesn't feel like that long ago where Takeovers were absolute can't miss shows. Remember R Evolution (god awful show name) with Neville vs Zayn Title vs Career (in NXT) & Kenta & Finn Balor teaming together & a very good Charlotte vs Sasha match back when Charlotte wasn't being pushed like she was HHH himself? Fun times. Even though the shows were smaller, the stakes felt so much bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ChrisBTY posted:

Wrestlers can't unionize. Too many of them are addicts and the ring is their drug. They have absolutely no leverage because they'll have scabs crawling over them to get their fix.

Also this. The worst thing you can ever give those people is exactly what they want. But WWE doles it out in spades.

But at least we can some miniscule comfort in knowing that the best thing Vince and his army of backstage supplicants could ever do in terms of rehabilitating their creative woes is just let go. And it's the one thing they'll never do. If Vince ever slows down he'll die and if Cardona and Cody's testimonies are accurate HHH has a hard-on for keeping everybody in their place.

Fewer people will tune in to watch scabs, if enough established names stay together they'll either cave or watch the product deteriorate even further even faster.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

yeah NXT poo poo felt incredible back in the day where the writing and the payoffs were way tighter. Like, this was before Gargano/Ciampa was driven into the loving ground (and for a while, with no payoff) or the endless rematches for stuff like Gargano/Cole. I remember how nuclear hot the crowds were for stuff like Nak vs Zayn or Finn when he first started out.

Idk if it's just because he's a face or what but I never felt Finn has ever reached the same apex as in NJPW, but maybe you could say the same for guys like Nakamura as well. His style got a little more vanilla and maybe the WWE style + plus the matchups he had factored into that. Also when Seth murdered him. I just always liked his Prince Devitt days way more and he kind of makes a very boring face. As the Bullet Club leader he was fantastic.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Finn Balor is NXT champion?

Won it last week in a #SuddenDeath match after the guy Keith Lee lost it to (so he could be called up to have half his matches end via gently caress finish) vacated due to immediate injury, and the hour-long fatal fourway match between former champs for the vacant belt ended in a two-way tie

Not a word of that is a lie :lmao:

Main Roster Keith Lee per Cagematch posted:

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=13732&page=4
8/24 Raw: Loses to Orton by DQ
8/30 Payback: Defeats Orton
8/31 Raw: Defeats Dolph; Orton defeats him and Seth
9/7 Raw: Loses to Orton by DQ
9/14 Raw: Fights Drew to No Contest

Wiki posted:

A 60-minute fatal four-way iron man match took place on the September 1 episode of NXT Super Tuesday between Finn Bálor, Adam Cole, Tommaso Ciampa, and Johnny Gargano for the vacant championship, but the match ended in a tie between Bálor and Cole. NXT General Manager William Regal then scheduled a match between the two on September 8, in which Bálor defeated Cole to win the vacant title.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Grendels Dad posted:

Finn Balor is NXT champion?

Genuinely just had to google to check

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Chris James 2 posted:

Won it last week in a #SuddenDeath match after the guy Keith Lee lost it to (so he could be called up to have half his matches end via gently caress finish) vacated due to immediate injury, and the hour-long fatal fourway match between former champs for the vacant belt ended in a two-way tie

Oh yeah, I remember now... that felt like a lifetime ago, good god.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LOL gently caress I forgot about KARRION KROSS. I was scratching my head like "who the gently caress beat Keith Lee? Didn't he only just become champ?" and then realized I forgot that Kross debuted and IMMEDIATELY won the belt and then IMMEDIATELY hosed his shoulder up, and by then Lee had been pushed to main roster. Everything about this is loving insane.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I don't know what being Q or a Blue Lives Matter person has to do with convincing people to join a union or not. If you're forming a union anywhere you'd have to get people involved with whom you may be ideologically opposed to.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

NXT: not the third brand. Not a wrestling brand really. Just a brand that announces things only to counter-program what a competitor does.

That’s it. That’s what you’re hired for. Don’t care about your talent. Don’t care what you do backstage. Don’t care if you even like anybody at all.

Be a body and come out and let’s get fans to continue to not turn the channel and counter-program.

That’s their entire purpose. It’s really, really sad.

I can’t even tell if anybody likes being there. It seems solely for the money on 90% of the performers.

And ricochet. He just wants to be there. You could probably pay him in bottle caps and he would be set.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

I don't know what being Q or a Blue Lives Matter person has to do with convincing people to join a union or not. If you're forming a union anywhere you'd have to get people involved with whom you may be ideologically opposed to.

the people who follow Q and Blue Lives Matter are the kind of idiots who are opposed to unions because communism

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Insertnamehere31 posted:

My first thought was they must be desperately counter programming something, but I can’t think what that might be. Plus this’ll make it tougher for them to counter program full gear since that’s only a month later.

I wouldn’t put it past them to completely kill takeovers by running them monthly.

"The same thing we do every night, Roddy. TRY TO TAKEOVER THE WWE UNIVERSE"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Strawberry Panda posted:

Absolutely, but these are going to be the most difficult people to convince since unions have been sold to them as being commie propaganda.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Fewer people will tune in to watch scabs, if enough established names stay together they'll either cave or watch the product deteriorate even further even faster.

That's the thing though. Are people really tuning in for Drew McIntyre or The Fiend or Braun Stroman? Has WWE finally succeeded in their dark work of making their talent interchangeable? are there enough WWE stans that will literally watch anything WWE throws out that WWE can still demand dumptrucks of money from Fox and USA in the blighted wasteland of modern cable TV?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 16, 2020

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1306333697571000320?s=19

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gosh, Matt Riddle sucks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rick posted:

Absolutely, but these are going to be the most difficult people to convince since unions have been sold to them as being commie propaganda.

Except police unions those ones are good

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Knew it. Of course. gently caress him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

this lawyer: did he print his letters on label sheets?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

you could say his case peeled apart at the seams

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

what loving company in their right mind would poison their "future" talent against them by deciding on a whim that a pandemic means a promotion means nothing materially for them. and yeah, having these guys performing on what they know are peanuts contracts compared to the guys who have been there for awhile. how the gently caress is that lockerroom doing?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

JOHN CENA posted:

lol

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What kind of money do the non wrestlers make? People like the interviewers also doing the bump and poo poo like that?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

shiksa posted:

what loving company in their right mind would poison their "future" talent against them by deciding on a whim that a pandemic means a promotion means nothing materially for them. and yeah, having these guys performing on what they know are peanuts contracts compared to the guys who have been there for awhile. how the gently caress is that lockerroom doing?

Don't worry I'm sure everyone in the lockeroom on the main roster that isn't Randy Orton/other main eventer will soon be offered similar deals or get shown the door as well!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ChrisBTY posted:

That's the thing though. Are people really tuning in for Drew McIntyre or The Fiend or Braun Stroman? Has WWE finally succeeded in their dark work of making their talent interchangeable? are there enough WWE stans that will literally watch anything WWE throws out that WWE can still demand dumptrucks of money from Fox and USA in the blighted wasteland of modern cable TV?

If they had succeeded ratings would be trending up not down.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ICR posted:

NXT: not the third brand. Not a wrestling brand really. Just a brand that announces things only to counter-program what a competitor does.

If the October Takeover was actually a counterprogram to the AEW Anniversary show, they would have done something like NXT Halloween Havoc the go directly against the anniversary show.

Unless the goal of counter programming is to burn the audience out on wrestling so they don't tune into more wrestling? I don't know

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Astro7x posted:

If the October Takeover was actually a counterprogram to the AEW Anniversary show, they would have done something like NXT Halloween Havoc the go directly against the anniversary show.

Unless the goal of counter programming is to burn the audience out on wrestling so they don't tune into more wrestling? I don't know

That was Dave's speculated reasoning for Payback being a thing.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/1306341730506149888

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rey Mysterio's one eye sweatin'

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There used to be like 3-4 months between Takeovers, they were can't miss shows, they were a total blast to watch. Even up till the Takeover before last I still got excited at the notion of a new Takeover coming. The very last Takeover was a miserable, sad affair though and now they've announced and are building to a fresh one with only 3 weeks notice. :sigh:

Also:

Chris James 2 posted:

Let's not forget that the NXT North American title that Keith Lee vacated was won on the same night that Keith Lee lost the NXT Title he wanted to focus on over the NA Title!

Lamuella posted:

Genuinely just had to google to check

There's an OP, you know :colbert:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I hope they have Takeovers every three weeks and every single one has an hour long Gargano/Ciampa match. :)

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl4XuUayxac

Keith Lee calmly challenges Drew, mincing no words and speaking the truth. Drew flips the gently caress out over something innocuous, WWE titles the video

"Keith Lee Goes into a Rage on Drew McIntyre"

gently caress this racist poo poo.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they had a championship match last week and two championship matches tonight. what is making takeover special?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

they had a championship match last week and two championship matches tonight. what is making takeover special?

It's the one night a year that Raw and Smackdown go head-to-head!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

lmao

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Keith Lee calmly challenges Drew, mincing no words and speaking the truth. Drew flips the gently caress out over something innocuous, WWE titles the video

See white people can slap you repeatedly, hit you first, and the calm black guy getting mad and fighting back is the true villain.

America.

Keith Lee is no angel.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Eat My Fuc posted:

what the gently caress drew sucker punched him

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

It's the one night a year that Raw and Smackdown go head-to-head!

Ha, I was about to post this exact thing. Takeovers really do have the same energy that cross-brand shows do now where for a while they were infrequent and had some buildup. Now it's just whatever, whenever.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

See white people can slap you repeatedly, hit you first, and the calm black guy getting mad and fighting back is the true villain.

America.

Keith Lee is no angel.

Would you say that Keith Lee is a bad hombre?

In all seriousness that video is a little disturbing. Not because of OMG Brutal damage but it feels like I'm watching some alt right promo video. Well its WWE so an alt right guy with absolutely no knowledge how to film.... or edit.... or hold a camera... or basic shot setup. Even when they are simply talking the camera sways left and right. I feel like I'm in high school and my teacher should yell at me for not holding the bloody cam steady.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Insertnamehere31 posted:

My first thought was they must be desperately counter programming something, but I can’t think what that might be. Plus this’ll make it tougher for them to counter program full gear since that’s only a month later.

I wouldn’t put it past them to completely kill takeovers by running them monthly.

At this point their mindset is so wild that they might be booking more takeovers hoping they get post Takeover ratings bumps on NXT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NXT Results 9/16:
  • Detailed Results here.
  • Women's Champion Io Shirai defeated Shotzi Blackheart in a non-title match.
  • There will be a Battle Royal next week to determine a number one contender for Io's Women's Title.
  • Tommaso Ciampa defeated Desmond Troy in a singles match. He was amused by a challenge from Jake Atlas for a match next week.
  • A vignette aired for new NXT Champion Finn Balor.
  • KUSHIDA defeated Austin Theory - accused in real life of trying to groom a minor - in a singles match and refused to release the submission hold.
  • Johnny Gargano and Candice LeRae cut a promo from their home about Tegan Nox.
  • Breezango (C) defeated Imperium to retain the NXT Tag Team Titles.
  • Kacy Catanzaro & Kayden Carter defeated Xia Li & Jessi Kamea in a tag match. Xia Li refused to shake hands after the match.
  • Killian Dain told Drake Maverick backstage that he never agreed to be in a tag team and wouldn't join him in their scheduled match against The Undisputed Era.
  • Tegan Nox cut a promo on Candice LeRae.
  • Killian Dain & Drake Maverick defeated The Undisputed Era by DQ. Dain only came out when William Regal yelled at him backstage. Bobby Fish hit Dain with a chair and he and Roderick Strong ran away. Killian Dain knocked Maverick out with a punch.
  • Ciampa jumped Jake Atlas outside the Performance Center but was saved by Kyle O'Reilly. Ciampa warned Atlas and O'Reilly that he was coming for both of them.
  • Regal announced a "Gauntlet Elimination Match" next week to decide the number one contender for Balor's championship at the Takeover in THREE WEEKS.
  • Damian Priest (C) defeated Timothy Thatcher in a singles match to retain the NXT North American Championship.
  • Show Discussion here.