Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Scarecow posted:

I dont think it will be, most people won't be buying that one since its what 1500 usd for maybe 20% more over the 3080?

That's their game: frustrate people with unavailable 3080's enough to get them to buy the in-stock 3090s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rip my MSI Amazon order

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I was gonna make a bestbuy.com account but every attempt is met with "Sorry, there was a problem creating your account. Please review your info and try again."

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rubellavator posted:

I was gonna make a bestbuy.com account but every attempt is met with "Sorry, there was a problem creating your account. Please review your info and try again."

Yeah it's gonna be like that for a bit. The PS5 preorders have basically crushed them, Target and GameStop.

Edit: And voided again, finally. Newegg sure takes their time to cancel orders.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 17, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

fingers crossed it worked

Just voided. Dang.

axeil fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 17, 2020

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Oh drat - I wasn't expecting the 3080 to demand this much power. When I purchased my PSU 5 years ago 600W seemed close to overkill, but today the 3080 paired with an Intel 9700k is uncomfortably close to the limit.

Luckily the 3070 seems a bit tamer, so I'll have to look into if it's worth going for that or biting the bullet and also getting a new PSU in the future. :shobon:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

axeil posted:

Just voided. Dang.

Did they really sell some cards pre-emptively before release date or was this all an error to begin with?

Also people are F5ing already? gently caress.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm waiting until mid November. There'll actually be stock then, plus I'll be able to know whether or not I can safely spend money on non essentials for the following four years.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Ulio posted:

Btw the guys heads up. becareful if you are only on bestbuy. Their site has had issues due to PS5 preorders, apparently people are having trouble checking out on screens and basically anything else. Don't think their servers will be able to handle the f5 spam.

I am going to stick to Newegg and Nvidia.com.

I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to obtain new graphics cards, to ride out the storm of scalpers, and to outlive the menace of bitcoin, if necessary for years, if necessary alone. At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Gooniest Poster - every one of them. That is the will of the GPU Megathread and the nation. The SA Posters and the Gaming Public, linked together in their cause and in their need, will F5 to the death their backlit keyboards, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength. Even though large tracts of stores and many recent and famous sites have cancelled or may fall into the grip of the "No pre-order" mandate and all the odious cancelled orders, we shall not flag or fail. We shall F5 to the end, we shall F5 at work, we shall F5 in the basements and gooncaves, we shall F5 with growing confidence and growing strength in the WiFi, we shall F5 our browser, whatever the cost to servers may be, we shall F5 on the beaches, we shall F5 on the landing grounds, we shall F5 in the parking lots and in the streets, we shall F5 in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, these posters or a large part of them are subjugated by low FPS, then our gaming brethren beyond this site at reddit, would carry on the struggle, until, in Jensen’s good time, all posters wanting a 3080, with all its raytracing and might, steps forth to the rescue from poor graphics and the liberation of the old.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

Did they really sell some cards pre-emptively before release date or was this all an error to begin with?

Also people are F5ing already? gently caress.

My guess? They finally got an inventory count and were updating the SKU pages in the backend and probably fat fingered the "OK to sell" button.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

They keep switching it from available to oos every 10 minutes or so, so I don't know what's going on over there.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lamquin posted:

Oh drat - I wasn't expecting the 3080 to demand this much power. When I purchased my PSU 5 years ago 600W seemed close to overkill, but today the 3080 paired with an Intel 9700k is uncomfortably close to the limit.

Luckily the 3070 seems a bit tamer, so I'll have to look into if it's worth going for that or biting the bullet and also getting a new PSU in the future. :shobon:

imo from the scuttlebutt i'm seeing you can crank the power down to 270W or so and see basically negligible (2-6%) decline in performance if you're worried about power/thermals/noise.

Parallelwoody posted:

They keep switching it from available to oos every 10 minutes or so, so I don't know what's going on over there.

I suspect it's some issue on the back-end that normally people aren't exposed to but we're seeing it because people are f5'ing the site like crazy to snipe an order since supply appears to be nonexistent.

axeil fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 17, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

axeil posted:

imo from the scuttlebutt i'm seeing you can crank the power down to 270W or so and see basically negligible (2-6%) decline in performance if you're worried about power/thermals/noise.

This is my plan. Going by how a +50W bump in power only got testers 3-5% performance at most, I'm thinking they're already pushed pretty far up the power curve, and most chips could undervolt considerably with only minimal loss in performance.

Plus I'm coming from a 1080Ti, so it's not like I'll notice the difference between a 95% improvement vs a 100% improvement. But in that I'm gonna try to shove it in a SFF case, I'll certainly notice the temp difference.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
this is extreme rumors and hearsay territory but this is from some dude at reddit who works at amazon

quote:

As a heads up, Amazon got like 500+ orders for the msi cards and will only have 5 of the trio and 20 of the ventus stocked around Sept 27

quote:

Correction here on my part, just check led the 3090s and there are a ton of those from msi, 100 of the trio alone, the 3080 though, yeah very very few

quote:

The po was for 383 units from msi, they are only fulfilling a small portion of that on this first lot, So i assume there will be a crunch at launch for these across all AIBs, although again, there are quite a few more of the other AIBs

quote:

So according to the inventory system (I work at corporate so Im only as good as the data reported by the warehouse) we have more 3090 units (specifically the msi trio x, 100 in total) than any other AIB partner on order ( PO hasn't arrived yet but is in transit to arrive on the 22nd), for 3080 the AIB with the most units is EVGA xc3 ultra gaming with 50 units, the xc3 gaming and xc3 black both have 30 units a piece....back to the 3090 number of units though, I really think somebody scanned in or mismatched the Asin because having more 3090s on order than 3080s seems odd, especially if msi is super short on the number of trio's they have for 3080 (5 units list in the system)

However some other guy says this:

quote:

We just received 5 more pallets of the 3080's.

2 pallets of Zotac RTX 3080's

2 pallets of EVGA FTW 3080's

1 pallet of Gigabyte 3080's

this is such a clusterfuck.

DrDork posted:

This is my plan. Going by how a +50W bump in power only got testers 3-5% performance at most, I'm thinking they're already pushed pretty far up the power curve, and most chips could undervolt considerably with only minimal loss in performance.

Plus I'm coming from a 1080Ti, so it's not like I'll notice the difference between a 95% improvement vs a 100% improvement. But in that I'm gonna try to shove it in a SFF case, I'll certainly notice the temp difference.

I'm coming from an RX 580 and I think I'm gonna go from "can barely run things at 45 FPS @ 1080p on medium" to "1440p 144hz ultra on everything"

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

DrDork posted:

Which SFF case?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

B-Mac posted:

Which SFF case?

Evolv Shift.

I've already accepted that I'm gonna have to rip the cooler off and slap a G10+AIO on there. My girlfriend is trying to convince me to do a full custom loop, which I might have considered if the EK blocks weren't $150 a pop.

And I gotta find a CNC shop to mill out some holes in the front panel because doing so drops temps by like 10C, which is hilarious, and the only online shop that'll do it wants ~$160, which is crazy talk for 10 minutes of CNC work.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

My dad decided to go bug microcenter again and see if anyone is lining up. They gave him number 21 and told him to come back tomorrow.

They are handing out numbers NOW and they are planning on calling everyone like every 2 hours tomorrow when they open.

People are going to be there, pissed because they waited since 4am only to learn people wandering around the store yesterday get first crack.

The gently caress are they doing?

For the record I never told my dad to go to microcenter once, hes just board.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 17, 2020

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I mean that's how they should do it. If people are lining up without understanding how the business is selling their product, that's kinda their own fault.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

spunkshui posted:

My dad decided to go bug microcenter again and see if anyone is lining up. They gave him number 21 and told him to come back tomorrow.

They are handing out numbers NOW and they are planning on calling everyone like every 2 hours tomorrow when they open.

People are going to be there, pissed because they waited since 4am only to learn people wandering around the store yesterday get first crack.

For the record I never told my dad to go to microcenter once, he just board.

Yeah at this point I would say Microcenter is not somewhere you want to try and buy this, it's completely chaotic.

Parallelwoody posted:

I mean that's how they should do it. If people are lining up without understanding how the business is selling their product, that's kinda their own fault.

Except this is not how Microcenter said they would sell it, they gave basically no info until 5 PM today when they said they'd have less than 20 cards per store and also gave no indication about when vouchers would get handed out.

Maybe that was on purpose to discourage a queue from forming, but it looks real chaotic.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

spunkshui posted:

For the record I never told my dad to go to microcenter once, hes just board.

Isn't this the very same Micro Center in Tustin I read mentioned only having 15-16 cards???

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

axeil posted:

Yeah at this point I would say Microcenter is not somewhere you want to try and buy this, it's completely chaotic.

I tried to buy a PSU from them 2 weeks ago and they sold me something they didn't have.

When I came by like 3 hours later to pick it up they said "tried to find it but I guess they don't have it." They never got around to canceling my order until I asked them in person.

Yeah, not too impressed so far lol.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 17, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
If I was a millionaire I'd prob buy a couple of Amperes for scalper prices and then sell them out of my house so that people would line up around the block and the people in the line would be my friends

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Isn't this the very same Micro Center in Tustin I read mentioned only having 15-16 cards???

Yup.

We are number 21, apparently.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Fair enough on the no info part there, I don't have a microcenter in my state I believe so I have no idea what their process is.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Im still laughing about how the best call, against all odds was to order from loving amazon france. Those cards have been in the mail for a full day. Incredible

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I put up another order on newegg after they voided the first and it's to the packaging stage in their order verification display. It's happening?? Maybe?

Edit: looks like it's pending on my card this time as well.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

a microcenter in the us

have fun

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Fingers crossed best buy just takes my order and process it when they have it.

I don't care if it takes a month or 3, I just don't want to be doing... "this" for 3 months.

Also none of you are allowed to buy the ROG card from best buy, I call dibs.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

a microcenter in the us

have fun

It's a good thing I only want a 3070 there's no way this will happen to the lower tier card.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Man watching this fiasco unfold in real time is really something. I'm convinced that there's people out there (who are not employees, reviewers or press) that currently have active orders already coming to them. I seriously think there's insiders at Canada Computers who probably got their poo poo reserved already as a favor from the owners.

All this "NVIDIA Said no pre-orders" non-sense is for the peasants waiting in line like beggars.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

from reddit lmao

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

pik_d posted:

It's a good thing I only want a 3070 there's no way this will happen to the lower tier card.

Is this a :thejoke: post or are you serious?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

jisforjosh posted:

Is this a :thejoke: post or are you serious?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

lol newegg is even saying you need to pray to the f5 gods.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

axeil posted:

lol newegg is even saying you need to pray to the f5 gods.

Hopefully their backend holds up better than Bestbuy's did. 30 minutes of trying to click checkout and no dice.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
To be fair it's been clear for a few days that physical in-person stock was not going to be a thing barring some last minute miracle. I'm sure these cards will be impossible to get but I wouldn't draw too many direct inferences from Microcenter stock or whatever.

I mean for all we know they deliberately withheld giving stock to physical outlets for this exact reason- if they sent 100 cards to everyone, those would all go to VIP customers and employees. At least with this method there is some basic semblance of fairness.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Taima posted:

To be fair it's been clear for a few days that physical in-person stock was not going to be a thing barring some last minute miracle. I'm sure these cards will be impossible to get but I wouldn't draw too many direct inferences from Microcenter stock or whatever.

Its very possible best buy was way more desperate for actual cards (and has more then microcenter because they out bid them) because they are really trying to grow their PC hardware selection.

Microcenter has basically no competition in many ways and they are going to do a poo poo ton of business just from people buying cases and other things related to the GPU upgrade.

They only needed enough GPUs to claim they had them. Mangers just didn't know they were getting thrown under the bus this week. The manager that told my dad about how many cards they had was apparently clearly upset.

edit: for the record I dont know if best buy has more cards, but If I ran best buy I would absolutely want as many of those cards as I could because microcenter is killing them as the goto PC store. Best buy def has the cash to bully microcenter and they sell lots of nice PC peripherals.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 17, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I'd totally believe Micro Center got hosed on distribution. They are not nationwide like Best Buy nor as high volume as Amazon.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-rtx-3080-ventus-3x-10g-oc/p/N82E16814137598 - this is the one I keep seeing pop up for a minute as available that I was able to snag. I set a page monitor notification on a newegg wishlist and grabbed it twice tonight now. While the first one has been cancelled, the second seems like it went through. God speed and good luck goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I love that Newegg shows both "add to cart" and "temporarily out of stock" for MSI Ventus at the same time