Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rad Valtar posted:

The PS2 was an outlier where they did not expect high amount of demand because a lot of people wanted it as a DVD player.

I wonder if the commercial with all the tanks pointing at it had any measurable benefit, things were zany back then with "oh no THEY might use it for missile guidance!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Every website I tried pretty much remained solidly crashed out until all the pre-orders were out. I have quite literally never gotten a successful pre-order of anything reasonably popular successfully.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Invite Emails are out for the Direct from Sony preorders. You can order at 1pm EST on Friday.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Critical posted:

Jumped on this, the digital version cost me $455 US. Nice backup in case I can't get one from Amazon us

I bought my PS5 in Japan and have spent the last 5 years having to guess if O or X is the “go” button, because in Japan it’s O and in US it’s X, and some games default to console standard and some just go by whatever the developers choose.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Got the confirmation email from Gamestop. It's on. Somehow I think Xbox One X will be much easier next week.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Games are going up for preorder on Amazon.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1306417767667564544?s=20

(God they really are just re-using old PS4 cases, huh?)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Did I seriously miss out on the ability to preorder this?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah. I'm kind of disappointed they're not doing black cases but it is what it is.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Fix posted:

F5. The modern state of pre-order is releasing inventory in waves, not first come first served. Check tomorrow. Also visit your local store, their inventory might be different than online.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1306403938615406592?s=20

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Best Buy is dead again

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fix posted:

sure did, I bought 3

(I did not actually buy 3, I always buy electronic stuff locally)

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Best Buy "attempting to sign you in". e: nvm

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I assume it's the same as any other server management economic calculation: do you really want to have enough server capacity to support the busiest day (or hour or minute) of a period of months or years, when it's 100,000 times the capacity you need for the whole rest of that time? Most organizations would say no.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rad Valtar posted:

There is almost zero chance it will be as scarce at the PS2. They have 10 million units planned by the end of the year.

lmbo the industry is *only* 3 times larger than it was in 2000

Rad Valtar posted:

The PS2 was an outlier where they did not expect high amount of demand because a lot of people wanted it as a DVD player.

Well, circumstances now are not exactly normal either. How about we pick this up again when we both own PS5s!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Zaphod42 posted:

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether.
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I assume it's the same as any other server management economic calculation: do you really want to have enough server capacity to support the busiest day (or hour or minute) of a period of months or years, when it's 100,000 times the capacity you need for the whole rest of that time? Most organizations would say no.

That's really smart and all, but I was under the impression that nowadays these things can be scaled up automatically based on need. I doubt a company like Best Buy needs to have its own datacenter with 5 Pentium IIIs running Windows XP on them. I'm afraid that's what they're doing though...

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Best Buy eventually let me into Checkout. I processed order, it had me go through verified by visa stuff, and then it dumped me back out to the cart. Both editions are sold out now. Rough stuff.

I wish companies would open preorders with more lead time. If they started taking them six months ahead of release, we wouldn't have such a crazy rush. PS4 preorders opened during E3 and they lasted a little while before selling out, and I don't recall websites crashing or anything like that.

This is just crazy. The pandemic isn't helping. People are starved for home entertainment.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I just ordered the weird german one lmao

Anything to look out for or am I just getting a normal PS5? Also I assume it's like Amazon US where they wont charge me til it ships, right?

This is weird but whatever lol

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I finally got my preorder for Miles Morales, off Amazon after spending 2 hours clicking a button on Best Buy's website to get beat to the punch :P

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Ps5 is up on Amazon Mexico and Australia. US will probably show up soon.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

il serpente cosmico posted:

Best Buy eventually let me into Checkout. I processed order, it had me go through verified by visa stuff, and then it dumped me back out to the cart. Both editions are sold out now. Rough stuff.

I wish companies would open preorders with more lead time. If they started taking them six months ahead of release, we wouldn't have such a crazy rush. PS4 preorders opened during E3 and they lasted a little while before selling out, and I don't recall websites crashing or anything like that.

This is just crazy. The pandemic isn't helping. People are starved for home entertainment.

Imagine how many consoles would get preordered with a 6 month run up. They’d be working to fill the backlog for almost as long as the preorder window.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh, it hasn't even gone up on Amazon yet?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

KingSlime posted:

I just ordered the weird german one lmao

Anything to look out for or am I just getting a normal PS5? Also I assume it's like Amazon US where they wont charge me til it ships, right?

This is weird but whatever lol

Probably need a plug adapter, i would assume it's going to confirm location during setup so there shouldn't be anything drastic.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Critical posted:

Probably need a plug adapter, i would assume it's going to confirm location during setup so there shouldn't be anything drastic.

ugh forgot about the power adapter, I'm assuming/hoping Sony will sell em separately

E: wait i'm a dummy I can just get a universal adapter eh? You can tell I don't go abroad much

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 17, 2020

acksplode
May 17, 2004

screamin and creamin posted:

That's really smart and all, but I was under the impression that nowadays these things can be scaled up automatically based on need. I doubt a company like Best Buy needs to have its own datacenter with 5 Pentium IIIs running Windows XP on them. I'm afraid that's what they're doing though...

This is partly why online retailers are moving their infrastructure to public cloud services. You don't want a bunch of servers sitting around idle waiting for traffic, but if you can't handle traffic spikes like this you're dropping money on the floor. These companies are big ships to steer so they probably still have things running in their own datacenters, but Target and Best Buy announced partnerships with Google Cloud a few years ago, Walmart is partnered with Microsoft and using Azure, Amazon runs on *checks clipboard* AWS. But running stuff on a public cloud doesn't automatically get you nice things like autoscaling, it just makes it theoretically possible. Still takes a lot of engineering effort to get that to work. A company like Best Buy at best probably has engineers on call who get alerted on high traffic or low capacity and they then push buttons to expand capacity.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

acksplode posted:

This is partly why online retailers are moving their infrastructure to public cloud services. You don't want a bunch of servers sitting around idle waiting for traffic, but if you can't handle traffic spikes like this you're dropping money on the floor. These companies are big ships to steer so they probably still have things running in their own datacenters, but Target and Best Buy announced partnerships with Google Cloud a few years ago, Walmart is partnered with Microsoft and using Azure, Amazon runs on *checks clipboard* AWS. But running stuff on a public cloud doesn't automatically get you nice things like autoscaling, it just makes it theoretically possible. Still takes a lot of engineering effort to get that to work. A company like Best Buy at best probably has engineers on call who get alerted on high traffic or low capacity and they then push buttons to expand capacity.

This. I work for a top 5 US online retailer. It's all cloud these days.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

KingSlime posted:

ugh forgot about the power adapter, I'm assuming/hoping Sony will sell em separately

tbh I'm just using it as an extreme backup. I'm still searching for another option and the german order will be cancelled as soon as I find one

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
oh totally, same here. I'm gonna try snagging one from the US website but if not I can get my weird German ps5 in early Dec

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

lmbo the industry is *only* 3 times larger than it was in 2000

Well, circumstances now are not exactly normal either. How about we pick this up again when we both own PS5s!

That will be launch day for me because I have one preordered.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
In non-PS5 news I just finished Gravity Rush 2 and what the hell was that story? Its like a 10 yr old wrote it. It's essentially a much of "And then this happened...'

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Like 90% of that game didn't need to happen when all anyone who played the first game wanted to know was the last 10% of it, and when they finally got to that last 10% they blew so much money they had to kill a bunch of cool setpieces by Xenogearsing them. I was sick to death of "villain offers protagonist an out to live in a fantasy world" as a trope, that dumb bit where everyone was singing that song Kat made up and performed once in some dive bar was stupid, and I would have rather had the final segment with her going into the ocean to do the black hole thing be playable instead of anything in Hekseville which was a poor rehashing of the same angle they did in the first game where Kat returns to find the place is different.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether.
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel

So that the world might be mended.

Edit. Oops! I always remembered it as souls. Guess I need to replay it in November.

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 17, 2020

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im so psyched, ive never gotten to play demons souls

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

In non-PS5 news I just finished Gravity Rush 2 and what the hell was that story? Its like a 10 yr old wrote it. It's essentially a much of "And then this happened...'

i think it was modeled after episodic arcs like a comic book, but yes, it's very weird that all the cliffhangers and questions for the entire series got wrapped up in the final 5% of the plot after 95% of unrelated puttering around

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Miles Morales is only $50. That doesn't bode well. And it's only on BB.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Waltzing Along posted:

Miles Morales is only $50. That doesn't bode well. And it's only on BB.

They said right from the start that it’s a shorter game a la Uncharted Lost Legacy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
no clue what Amazon's plans are, but if its anything like the Switch was, the preorders will go up in 45 minutes

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E this was useless and mostly wrong

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

You vill zee, ve haff ways to make you enjoy ze german Spielstation, yankee manchildren!