Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is Ennis actually involved with the making of the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gynovore posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is Ennis actually involved with the making of the show?

I think that's a very fair question, and not to my knowledge

E: I guess he met with Rogan and others to discuss adapting the work, but I don't think he's approving scripts or on-set or anything. I think he's actually writing new Boys comics to try to capitalize on the show. (and heard they're bad)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Zaphod42 posted:

I think that's a very fair question, and not to my knowledge

E: I guess he met with Rogan and others to discuss adapting the work, but I don't think he's approving scripts or on-set or anything. I think he's actually writing new Boys comics to try to capitalize on the show. (and heard they're bad)

Huh??? I mean, in the comics, almost everyone dies.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's why god invented prequels!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Well I was thinking something more along the lines of "I need to quit to pursue my love of bluegrass banjo music" (or something else I don't care what) and then running like gently caress. "My grandma on the other side of the country needs me to take care of her" Something.

I would run like gently caress, personally.

I also love the Homelander- Dennis Reynolds mashups.

Edit-

Yeah, ok I can buy that.

"No one's seen Ashley for a while... Wonder where she's been? Hey, look, an update from NASA! Wait, why is her car in orbit around Jupiter? Weird."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gynovore posted:

Huh??? I mean, in the comics, almost everyone dies.

Yeah its JUST hughie.

Details like a story being concluded doesn't get in the way of capitalism

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Tip posted:

The arc reactor opens a portal to an alternate dimension of pure energy.

I don't know anything about comic books.

Ha yes. And a psychic element at that. It absorbs force and vibration! So if you hit captain America’s shield, it will somehow just dissipate the energy! But if he throws it at you, it will wreck your poo poo rather than making impact for zero effect and falling to the ground.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Well I was thinking something more along the lines of "I need to quit to pursue my love of bluegrass banjo music" (or something else I don't care what) and then running like gently caress. "My grandma on the other side of the country needs me to take care of her" Something.

I would run like gently caress, personally.

I also love the Homelander- Dennis Reynolds mashups.

Edit-

Yeah, ok I can buy that.

She's a bad/dumb person who priotizes advancement over even personal safety. Like she's essentially one of those numerous Trump admin staff who joined for profit only to end up disgraced or jailed. She didn't leave because despite working with monsters she still thinks she got the better end of the deal.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

Ha yes. And a psychic element at that. It absorbs force and vibration! So if you hit captain America’s shield, it will somehow just dissipate the energy! But if he throws it at you, it will wreck your poo poo rather than making impact for zero effect and falling to the ground.

Spidey does mention that it doesn't follow the laws of physics at all, when he gets into his fight with Cap.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Spidey is the straight guy of the MCU and he does it well

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Truth, both. I remember appreciating that Spidey was all UHH THAT SHIELD IS SOME BULLSHIT GUYS.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Zaphod42 posted:

And I never said anything to the contrary. Of COURSE it was an influence. But that doesn't mean you use the same name, or a parody of a name from the work, in your work.

The use of the name Vought has no relation with Veidt. In the comics it is the alternate history incarnation of the real 20th century aerospace firm of that name, most notable for their WWII fighter, the corsair. In the comic's alternate history they pivot to compound v and supes after getting troops killed by their faulty planes and rifles. The show has obviously done away with this back story but they have kept the name.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

boo_radley posted:

Do not pick up trash from the street and bring it into the house, thank u. Nobody wants to read misogynistic reddit takes, this thread is wobbly enough as it is.

e: However, speaking of people who don't really know what's going on, here's a little snippet from the sun dot com, reporting on Karl Urban's character Homelander:

Antony told the same publication: "The only words that Eric [Kripke, header writer] said to me about season 3 were ‘homicidal maniac.’

Well.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AlternateAccount posted:

It doesn't dissipate the energy, it sends it to the alternate dimension of pure energy that the arc reactor uses

Iron Man's true weakness is people not attacking Captain America

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The closest you can get with Homelander's eye lasers is "it's magic, Johnny, forget about it". The viewer has no way of knowing what wavelengths he's releasing the majority of his energy output, it could just be a coincidence that we see a red laser beam in the visible spectrum while he's dumping megawatts of infrared laser to melt someone's skull off, or whatever. And there's no way of knowing what kind of mechanism, biological as it must still be, he has in his eyes that generate the laser effect. As pointed out earlier, there are ways of at least guesstimating what kind of metabolism A-Train must have, since his super power is just 'go fast', but even that's unphysical in many ways, such like his heart giving out as portrayed in the show, and how his bones would pretty much shatter on impact if someone tried running that fast, and so on. As soon as we get to Magneto-level nonsense-powers (as it were) such as controlling electricity (which is both the Nazi woman and Starlight I guess?), there is no sensible way of determining the energy consumption of their powers, since it is so open to interpretation what their powers are actually doing. And the Nazi woman being able to fly doesn't even make sense, if all she can do is make lightning. Obviously for the purposes of the show, 'flying' is a super-power in and of itself, and its mechanism isn't explained at any point, and it doesn't have to be for the purposes of the narrative anyway.

Signed, an actual physicist, don't @ me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Technically Starlight absorbs electricity to make her light blasts

Which means she should be pretty well suited to fight Stormfront if it comes to that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rappaport posted:

The closest you can get with Homelander's eye lasers is "it's magic, Johnny, forget about it". The viewer has no way of knowing what wavelengths he's releasing the majority of his energy output, it could just be a coincidence that we see a red laser beam in the visible spectrum while he's dumping megawatts of infrared laser to melt someone's skull off, or whatever. And there's no way of knowing what kind of mechanism, biological as it must still be, he has in his eyes that generate the laser effect. As pointed out earlier, there are ways of at least guesstimating what kind of metabolism A-Train must have, since his super power is just 'go fast', but even that's unphysical in many ways, such like his heart giving out as portrayed in the show, and how his bones would pretty much shatter on impact if someone tried running that fast, and so on. As soon as we get to Magneto-level nonsense-powers (as it were) such as controlling electricity (which is both the Nazi woman and Starlight I guess?), there is no sensible way of determining the energy consumption of their powers, since it is so open to interpretation what their powers are actually doing. And the Nazi woman being able to fly doesn't even make sense, if all she can do is make lightning. Obviously for the purposes of the show, 'flying' is a super-power in and of itself, and its mechanism isn't explained at any point, and it doesn't have to be for the purposes of the narrative anyway.

Signed, an actual physicist, don't @ me.

Yeah, there's too many unknowns ultimately. For all we know its actually just that Homelander's blood is super flammable and he squirts it out of his eyes like that one lizard. It looks like a pure energy beam, but there could be particles used to conduct the beam or something :shrug:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Particle beams are even worse about propagating through an atmosphere, but you're right, that's one possibility!

Azhais posted:

Technically Starlight absorbs electricity to make her light blasts

Which means she should be pretty well suited to fight Stormfront if it comes to that.

Right, but what does "absorb electricity" mean in physical terms? Is she somehow using Ampere's law or something to capture the energy in surrounding electricity, or what? Does she have special glans for doing so? We know the Deep has his gills, so this isn't out of the question, but it isn't specified either, and there's a number of different things she could be doing to influence the electrical appliances near her, and none of Maxwell's equations really can explain what is going on with her light-show power, similarly to Homelander's lasers. I brought up Magneto since his powers are essentially ridiculous on their face as stated, and never really taken to their conclusion. If he's the "master of magnetism", could he manipulate atomic cores? Super powers, for the purposes of this show are just magic and one shouldn't think too hard about them, IMO.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
Just touching on something I thought would be cool that would be comic related so I'll spoil it.

It would be interesting if they do go the route of Homelander and Black Noire being clones because it would be another chance for Antony Starr to play off against himself like he did in Outrageous Fortune. Though I guess since Black Noire is played by a different actor that won't be the case.

Starr playing two contrasting personalities and having an emote off against one another is generally very good.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
A wizard did it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

HppyCmpr posted:

Just touching on something I thought would be cool that would be comic related so I'll spoil it.

It would be interesting if they do go the route of Homelander and Black Noire being clones because it would be another chance for Antony Starr to play off against himself like he did in Outrageous Fortune. Though I guess since Black Noire is played by a different actor that won't be the case.

Starr playing two contrasting personalities and having an emote off against one another is generally very good.

I don’t think this is the case cause Noir was physically damaged during the super terrorist fight and by Kimiko.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
It’s possible Noir is actually a Homelander clone but a weaker/failed copy rather than a superior one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Asgerd posted:

It’s possible Noir is actually a Homelander clone but a weaker/failed copy rather than a superior one.

Now I want Homelander to go into a rant about genes.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Homelander actually has a nuclear reactor where his heart stomach should be. Which is why he pisses heavy water and shits radium.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Can’t wait to read the 40,000 word entry on the lab assistants pet tortoise on the Vought Wiki

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Avasculous posted:

Wikipedia says industrial cutting lasers run on kilowatts of power to cut steel at point blank range for <1 cm depth and <1 cm diameter.

5000 kW *1 second = 1200 dietary calories.

I couldn't find an equation for this, but multiply that by however many orders of magnitude it would take to overcome heat dispersion from across a room at the diameter of his eyes and you have an idea of how much breast milk he would need to drink.

Also I've read that a major limitation holding back military lasers is that scattering and heat dispersion get way worse in even mild weather conditions- so him shooting down a plane in the middle of a storm is extra absurd.

Hopefully now I've annoyed an actual physicist into giving us the real answer.

I don't remember exactly where I read this but I recall hearing that if every square inch of Superman's body acted as a perfect solar capacitor 24/7, he'd have to recharge for a week between heat vision bursts for the average "burn a gun out of a crook's hands" stunt. So yeah, it's all wizard magic, don't worry about it.

Besides all that, Homelander having completely insane powers that make no physical sense while all the other supers are at least somewhat limited in their scope just drives home how far above the rest of them he is. I'm kinda disappointed that Stormfront can fly in this context, although if she's potentially the original German Compound V experiment, vis-a-vis the comics, it kinda makes sense.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HppyCmpr posted:

That's not necessarily a bar to that same ending because if the showrunners know they're going that way then you still wouldn't have Antony Starr put on the Noir suit for all those scenes and then pay for the CGI tricks to have Noir in the same scenes as Homelander, you just get a stunt actor to play noir right up until the point where you need him to take his mask off though.

It's entirely believable that they could go in a completely different direction with Noir though. Homelander's arc is not tied to him in the same way

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

McSpanky posted:

Besides all that, Homelander having completely insane powers that make no physical sense while all the other supers are at least somewhat limited in their scope just drives home how far above the rest of them he is.

All told I'm willing to write that off as "he was done in a lab in ideal conditions with probably the maximal survivable amount of V" whereas the rest of the supers ended up with an amount that was deemed an optimal balance between power set and dead babies.

V being a secret when there's literally hundreds of parents out there, including apparently disgruntled parents like Starlight's, is the less believable part. And it'd be even more unbelievable if lots of the babies were being killed by the treatments.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What time did Prime put out The Boys last Thursday? I am going camping tomorrow and I do not want to wait for this weeks episode!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

What time did Prime put out The Boys last Thursday? I am going camping tomorrow and I do not want to wait for this weeks episode!

iirc it was like 10pm EST.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
In the comic Homelander was driven slowly insane from baseline "rear end in a top hat supe bro" to "raving sociopath" by Noir's manipulations, but in the show he's already effectively crazier than his comic counterpart ends up. Even at the end of the comic, after Homelander finds out what Noir's done to him, he's pissed that he's just thrown his life away. Show Homelander is, I think, already beyond that point. So I doubt the show can really end up in the same place as the comic does vis-a-vis Homelander and Noir.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Hot dang I can't wait for tonight, feels like a month since the last episode. I blame this dumb thread.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BurritoJustice posted:

Spidey is the straight guy of the MCU and he does it well

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

What I wonder about Black Noir is why him hunting Butcher down seems like a secret, when presumably him taking the terrorist down in episode 1 felt like a mission. Considering he’s one of the Seven and shown to be competent I don’t see why they wouldn’t just let him go after the boys

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My money is he's more so on a "fact finding" mission than an assassination mission. Like, he wants to find out how they got Compound V.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Solice Kirsk posted:

My money is he's more so on a "fact finding" mission than an assassination mission. Like, he wants to find out how they got Compound V.

I suspect it might be he wants to work with them for some reason. No reason to keep it secret otherwise, we know Homelander wants the Boys dead. We know next to NOTHING about Black Noir (in the series), who knows what's lurking in that piano playing brain.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
We also know he has the best dumbest name ever.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Living in Toronto, this show is incredibly fun to watch. I worked for years with Roy Thomson Hall / Vaught HQ across the courtyard from my office. I spent most of my youth in Kensington Market / Chinatown that is featured prominently. I went on dates with my wife at the pub where Hughie takes Starlight. My doctors office is above the subway station where they filmed the tunnel scene season 1. My optometrist is in the background of the scene where Mesmer spies Butcher in the mall. I could go on.

It's just such a loving hoot.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Another Bill posted:

Living in Toronto, this show is incredible fun to watch. I worked for years with Roy Thomson Hall / Vaught HQ across the courtyard from my office. I spent most of my youth in Kensington Market / Chinatown that is featured prominently. I went on dates with my wife at the pub where Hughie takes Starlight. My doctors office is above the subway station where they filmed the tunnel scene season 1. My optometrist is in the background of the scene where Mesmer spies Butcher in the mall. I could go on.

It's just such a loving hoot.

isn't basically every us show like this for torontonians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
I've never been to Toronto, but I did notice some Canada Post mailboxes in the background of one of the episodes this season, that was fun.