Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob

Blah blah blah blah!!
they were just the first guys to say stuff. Plato was probably a dumb bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
I never did get the big fuss about this "So Crates" guy. what, did he like boxes or something?

The Voice of Labor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair

Macnult

quote:

“...At that time, the journal did not practice academic peer review and it did not submit the article for outside expert review by a physicist.”

sounds like a journal ran by philosophers

Escape From Noise

"I'm just asking questions." -Descartes probably

cda

by Hand Knit
If you think it's so easy to be the first guy to say stuff, you try it op

Escape From Noise

cda posted:

The Philosopher's Gambit

Prurient Squid

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Bishop Berkeley's ideas were probably powered by dumb bitch energy.

The_Rob

Blah blah blah blah!!

cda posted:

I’m doing it now philosophers are dumb as hell.

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
cda's fallacy

google THIS

Someone: So anyway, that's why I feel like the true nature of a thing can only exist in the mind.

Plato: Oh, so kind of like a, uh...Platonic ideal?

S: A what?

P: You know, a Platonic ideal. You have heard of Platonic idealism, right?

S: (getting nervous) Uh...yeah, sure.

P: Of course you have. Everyone has.

S: What did you say your name was again?

P:

Khanstant
greeks and romans were dumb as hell and had no morals. their philosophers had ideas of all sorts of mechanics and things but never actually applied any of it and instead just huffed their own farts about their dipshit ideas. meanwhile they use slave labor for like every goddamn thing and since they aren't paying their workers they have no pressure to increase technology level or innovate to increase efficiency. no wonder their dumb asses got handily taken over by a bunch of european rednecks from the woods

alnilam

"The only true wisdom is in knowing that you know nothing" - Socrates on philosophers being dumb as hell

ty manifisto

nut

all philosopher no kilosopher

Escape From Noise

alnilam posted:

"The only true wisdom is in knowing that you know nothing" - Socrates on philosophers being dumb as hell

I thought that was Operation Ivy

alnilam

me: *long bong rip* have oyu ever wondered if like.. we're even really real?

george berkeley time travelling from the past: go on...

me: like what if we're *burps out smoke* like... um. fuckin. brains floating in space and we just think poo poo is real.

berkeley, writing in a notepad, talking like a stoner to blend in: woah, keep goin you're blowing my mind man

ty manifisto

beer pal

i bet i could have an original thought if i really wanted to.

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I would've had a minor in philosophy but they wanted me to take some class that never worked for my schedule.

Buncha jerks.

alnilam

beer pal posted:

i bet i could have an original thought if i really wanted to.

what if... yuo couldn't though #woah #wh;oa #phiosophy

ty manifisto

beer pal

arched fingers, staring at my laptop, word processor open with a bold title reading "original thoughts". ten minutes pass. maybe i should change the font.

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Macnult

idiot: “that which doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”

that same idiot: *health drastically plummets after seeing a horse get flogged in public*

Fredrik1

Gopherslayer
:rock:
*Socrates outside the parthenon with a sign saying Atlantis doesn't exists prove me wrong*

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

google THIS posted:

Someone: So anyway, that's why I feel like the true nature of a thing can only exist in the mind.

Plato: Oh, so kind of like a, uh...Platonic ideal?

S: A what?

P: You know, a Platonic ideal. You have heard of Platonic idealism, right?

S: (getting nervous) Uh...yeah, sure.

P: Of course you have. Everyone has.

S: What did you say your name was again?

P:

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

owlhawk911

alnilam posted:

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I thought that was Operation Ivy

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Hume being forced to restructure his view of causality after his casually slapping my girl on the rear end at the faculty wine mixer directly causes him to get his rear end kicked.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
I always liked Kant, but honestly he's got nothing on The_Rob

magic cactus

murderer in an interrogation room:

M: So you see, using Kripke's possible world semantics we can prove that there is a world where didn't murder my girlfriend.

Philosopher Cop: Yes but epistemically speaking, the only world that matters is the one that obtained, and in this current world, you did in fact murder her.

M: ...

Cop: :smuggo:

magic cactus

philosopher cop spends three hours discussing who is really the "good" cop with his partner, criminal confesses so they'd just shut the gently caress up already.

owlhawk911

magic cactus posted:

philosopher cop spends three hours discussing who is really the "good" cop with his partner, criminal confesses so they'd just shut the gently caress up already.

i like to think a philosopher cop would relatively quickly come to the realization that they needed to change careers

The Voice of Labor

because they populated bookshelves in the concrete bunkers belonging to the rich and powerful when nuclear fire swept over the world only writings from ayn rand and robert nozick survived. future historians came to the conclusion that philosophers were not only not actually smart, they were substantially dumber than the general population

magic cactus

owlhawk911 posted:

i like to think a philosopher cop would relatively quickly come to the realization that they needed to change careers

they would, then they'd find an equally justifiable argument to stay employed as a "thought exercise"

The Voice of Labor

Fredrik1 posted:

*Socrates outside the parthenon with a sign saying Atlantis doesn't exists prove me wrong*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critias_(dialogue)

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Khanstant posted:

greeks and romans were dumb as hell and had no morals. their philosophers had ideas of all sorts of mechanics and things but never actually applied any of it and instead just huffed their own farts about their dipshit ideas. meanwhile they use slave labor for like every goddamn thing and since they aren't paying their workers they have no pressure to increase technology level or innovate to increase efficiency. no wonder their dumb asses got handily taken over by a bunch of european rednecks from the woods

lmao'd

magic cactus

Plato advocating for the removal of reading and writing to hide the fact he's lliterate

The_Rob

Blah blah blah blah!!

magic cactus posted:

Plato advocating for the removal of reading and writing to hide the fact he's lliterate

honestly that’s a smart rear end move. still dumb as hell but credit where it’s due

Prof. Crocodile

you know what socrates, maybe i *am* a little confused about the nature of piety. or maybe i'm a little distracted because I AM CURRENTLY THE PROSECUTOR IN MY OWN FATHER'S MURDER TRIAL YOU loving ASSHAT!

Goons Are Gifts

Plato, teaching students: "So to the question of what knowledge is, we can maybe define it as.."

Diogenes, throwing dog poop through the windows while entirely naked: "BOOOOO BORING! Show us your tits, nerd!!"

Plato: "Oh not you again, I definitely know that you suck!"

Diogenes, pressing his naked butt and dick on a table: "How can you be so sure, ehh? gently caress you, go smell this bitch" *farts*

Plato: "It is justified to know that. It is justified and true to know that. That's what knowledge is, the justified and true opinion that you're a piece of poo poo!"

Diogenes, drawing vaginas on the wall: "I know what history will remember about you, nerd"

Trying

"Let no one ignorant of geometry enter here" was a lower back tattoo people took way too serious

Goons Are Gifts

"You can kill me, but please don't destroy my circles", Pythagoras said, desperately trying to understand how the hell he can draw a remotely round circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slumpy
"i think therefore i am"

no poo poo idiot lmao

slumpy