Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bruceski posted:

And half of Stormblood, though people are split on which half.

Stormblood was by necessity Just OK; you can't have 2 incredible flavors back-to-back like that without something to cleanse the palate between them :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As for the trailer, my opinions are mixed but I have one thing worth saying:

Your trailer is full of music and noise and people talking using words that folks may not instinctively know in the context they're being used (Dominant as a noun for example). Use subtitles! If you're worried they'll ruin your "aesthetic" in the video proper then take a bit of time and put them on Youtube before the video goes live. Auto-generated captions is a patch, not a replacement.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Would have been infinitely more interested in an Aranea-centered FF15

My dream version of FF15 is that at not-Venice instead of killing Luna, kill Noctis and have her inherit his power. Gives a reason for the shift from open-world to literal-rails, the change in the party's dynamic when they lose their confidence after that turning point, and a lot of other bits that I found grating.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bruceski posted:

My dream version of FF15 is that at not-Venice instead of killing Luna, kill Noctis and have her inherit his power. Gives a reason for the shift from open-world to literal-rails, the change in the party's dynamic when they lose their confidence after that turning point, and a lot of other bits that I found grating.

It also really bothered me that you pretty much had to watch Kingsglaive to understand half the backstory, including why you should give a poo poo about Luna in any way whatsoever

supplemental materials should not be required for full enjoyment of the main product

Like, I agree with you 100% on this, but only because I watched Kingslaive and therefore had even a remote attachment to her character

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Stormblood was by necessity Just OK; you can't have 2 incredible flavors back-to-back like that without something to cleanse the palate between them :v:

I'm not big on SB with some exceptions - the raid is just pure FF nostalgia in your veins, the trials are a blast to play, and while I was eh on the overall story, it absolutely sets up and lays the groundwork for Very Cool poo poo that happens later

Plus, just Ivalice raids man, Ivalice loving raids

I was having a nerdgasm through every minute of those runs, every minute

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

victrix posted:

I'm not big on SB with some exceptions - the raid is just pure FF nostalgia in your veins, the trials are a blast to play, and while I was eh on the overall story, it absolutely sets up and lays the groundwork for Very Cool poo poo that happens later

Plus, just Ivalice raids man, Ivalice loving raids

I was having a nerdgasm through every minute of those runs, every minute

Yeah I agree pretty much point-by-point lol

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Being disappointed by the aesthetic of the new Final Fantasy is an age old tradition of Final Fantasy. It’s hard to nail down what exactly is Final Fantasy’s aesthetic because they constantly reinvent it. I can’t say I’m too stoked by what feels a bit “generic dark fantasy” a la GoT, but I wasn’t very interested in FFXV’s modern future aesthetic or whatever the hell FFXIII was, either.

That said, I am interested in the plot, because I do enjoy intrigue and a boy becomes a big bird and a dude becomes Ifrit to fight him

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

This conversation reminded me of something I thought of a while back.

technically not true for another 10 months

Oh wow, gently caress you very much.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Final Fantasy Tactics has a mature, dire, bloody tone and story themes *despite* its colorful and highly stylized art direction. It is a huge mistake to confuse them for the same thing, even if the two elements frequently play into and reinforce one another in creative works.

This is not a conversation about plot points or dialogue, people are talking about how the games look. FFT is not even remotely reaching for realism. The characters are squat chibi sprites with big anime eyes. They are so not-grim and not-bloody that the way the game looks is often a juxtaposed contrast with the horror of what's actually happening in the story.

Whoever said that none of the classic medieval FF games have approached the look that 16 is aiming for was completely right.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 17, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So, just from the trailer, I’m gonna maybe spitball where the story could go.

Each nation has their own Crystal. These are important for Reasons. There also exists a class of people who can summon monsters, Dominants who are able to summon their Eikon. Our protagonist lives in a backwater nation, and is assigned to guard young Joshua, who may or may not be royalty. The as-yet-unnamed Evil Empire one day invades the protagonists country to obtain their Crystal, which leads to a ton of bloodshed. The culmination of this is Joshua revealing himself as a Dominant and summoning Phoenix to lay waste to the invading forces. After this, Joshua possibly disappears?

I think this is what the prologue/tutorial section will be.

The game proper picks up years later, with the protagonist nation still in a heated war with the Empire. The older protagonist, as part of the army, is now tasked with infiltrating and destroying (?) the Empire’s Crystal. There’s also menton of a female Dominant who can summon Shiva. She may possibly be a future party member.

Unfounded speculation territory: the logo shows Phoenix and Ifrit duking it out. I think Joshua/Phoenix is going to turn into the main antagonist, and the protagonist is forced to kill the kid he swore to protect.

Literally 105% of this could be entire off-base, but hey, what else are we gonna do until the next bit of info is released?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You fools don't even understand that they're going to make a Final Fantasy version of Avatar: the Last Airbender.

Shiva. Titan. Ifrit. Ramuh.

My grandmother used to tell me stories about the old days. A time of peace. When the Phoenix kept balance between the Shiva Ladies, the Titan Bros, the Ifrit Assholes, and the Air Buddies.

But that all changed... when the Ifrit nation attacked.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Each nation has their own Crystal. These are important for Reasons. There also exists a class of people who can summon monsters, Dominants who are able to summon their Eikon. Our protagonist lives in a backwater nation, and is assigned to guard young Joshua, who may or may not be royalty. The as-yet-unnamed Evil Empire one day invades the protagonists country to obtain their Crystal, which leads to a ton of bloodshed. The culmination of this is Joshua revealing himself as a Dominant and summoning Phoenix to lay waste to the invading forces. After this, Joshua possibly disappears?

The game proper picks up years later, with the protagonist nation still in a heated war with the Empire. The older protagonist, as part of the army, is now tasked with infiltrating and destroying (?) the Empire’s Crystal. There’s also menton of a female Dominant who can summon Shiva. She may possibly be a future party member.

Unfounded speculation territory: the logo shows Phoenix and Ifrit duking it out. I think Joshua/Phoenix is going to turn into the main antagonist, and the protagonist is forced to kill the kid he swore to protect.

Literally 105% of this could be entire off-base, but hey, what else are we gonna do until the next bit of info is released?

This is pretty much what I got out of it, except that the summoning is an actual transformation of the summoner.

I'm also not 100% if Joshua is Phoenix or Ifrit, since when the protag is yelling "Joshua no snap out of it" or whatever, the camera is focused on Ifrit going crazy. The way the scenes cut when Joshua is on the ground, screams and then turns into the fire man make it look like he then turns into Ifrit.

It definitely gives me shades of FF4/5 in terms of countries fighting for crystals, etc.

I'm definitely interested in the line at the end about not being ruled by the crystals any longer.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FFV had all the crystals being destroyed (gwahahahaha), and things seemed to be just fine. If not a little boring.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

While I'm ITT, can anybody give a trip report for Four Heroes of Light and FF Explorers? They're some of the only ones I haven't actually played yet.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
FF2 (The real one) had a pretty grim storyline. Heroism wasn't seen as a noble cause in that game, rather just a soldier's duty.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Snow Cone Capone posted:

While I'm ITT, can anybody give a trip report for Four Heroes of Light and FF Explorers? They're some of the only ones I haven't actually played yet.

Skip Explorers. It’s a Monster Hunter clone that doesn’t quite understand what makes Monster Hunter work

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

jokes posted:

FFV had all the crystals being destroyed (gwahahahaha), and things seemed to be just fine. If not a little boring.

I mean, the destruction of the very first crystal in the prologue all but destroyed conventional sea travel instantly. Although the destruction of some are a slow burn, like the earth crystal.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

thetoughestbean posted:

Skip Explorers. It’s a Monster Hunter clone that doesn’t quite understand what makes Monster Hunter work

That bad huh?

Also, if I get the itch to play 5/6 again, are the GBA versions essentially the "definitive" versions? IIRC the GBA ones had some music reproduction issues, but I don't want to go with the hideous Android ports.

e: apparently the GBA versions have sound patches, so I guess those are the ones to get

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Look, FFXVI has enough random stuff in its trailer to lead to me to believe that I can kill the Occuria and if thats not worth 70 dollars I dunno what is.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Looked like the protagonist is a “Dominant” of either Phoenix or Ifrit. . I need to rewatch. Also dominants don’t seem to be actual summoners, more like hosts or vessels.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That bad huh?

Also, if I get the itch to play 5/6 again, are the GBA versions essentially the "definitive" versions? IIRC the GBA ones had some music reproduction issues, but I don't want to go with the hideous Android ports.

Get FF5 GBA with the music restoration hack at least.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It also really bothered me that you pretty much had to watch Kingsglaive to understand half the backstory, including why you should give a poo poo about Luna in any way whatsoever

supplemental materials should not be required for full enjoyment of the main product

Like, I agree with you 100% on this, but only because I watched Kingslaive and therefore had even a remote attachment to her character

i watched kingsglaive and i wached brotherhood and i still have no fuckin idea what any of this poo poo is about

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Attack on titan style summons or Evangelion summons?

Either way count me in

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The problem with the XVI trailer aesthetic isn't that it's dark, it's that it's dull as dishwater. I stand by the twitter take I saw that called its aesthetic 'prestige TV show I got bored of three episodes in'. You can do dark without being boring.

Also for gently caress's sake Final Fantasy, turn-based isn't dead just because you say it is, give me a game that isn't action. I didn't like the last guy you had making them action games, and I don't like the new guy.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Cleretic posted:

The problem with the XVI trailer aesthetic isn't that it's dark, it's that it's dull as dishwater. I stand by the twitter take I saw that called its aesthetic 'prestige TV show I got bored of three episodes in'. You can do dark without being boring.

Also for gently caress's sake Final Fantasy, turn-based isn't dead just because you say it is, give me a game that isn't action. I didn't like the last guy you had making them action games, and I don't like the new guy.

Bravely Default 2’s on the horizon, thankfully

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

thetoughestbean posted:

Ooh, you're right, I completely forgot about Bravely Default 3: Bravely Default 2.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hopefully the game itself is good but I really was not feeling that trailer at all.

Cleretic posted:

The problem with the XVI trailer aesthetic isn't that it's dark, it's that it's dull as dishwater. I stand by the twitter take I saw that called its aesthetic 'prestige TV show I got bored of three episodes in'.
I don't know what Twitter person posted that but I'm stealing it from them via you as proxy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

I hope it is good because although the first 2 were completely my poo poo I wasn't feeling the demo very much. Octopath was also a bit of a disappointment so I hope they nail this one.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ok i watched the trailer again in 4k and it looks cool now

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am of the mind that the initial promotional trailer will only represent a small sliver of what the game will ultimately be.

FF7's marketing was 90% Midgar

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1306397815665577985?s=19

I'm definitely seeing the DMC influence here.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Picked up FFXIV for the first time after years of playing Record Keeper, so it's nice to learn how some of these alphabet soup names are actually supposed to be pronounced.

Named my character "Disgae Arcyk." Too subtle or not subtle enough? I wanted a FF joke that was still a believable generic fantasy name. "This guy are sick."

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: anyway this is turning into a real dumb slapfight so I'm bowing out with my opinion of "Final Fantasy games have absolutely done dark and brutal visuals before" unchanged, I just really don't feel like arguing with you about what constitutes "a dark and grimy aesthetic" anymore

Why are you even pretending you were ever going to change your opinion anyway?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

HD DAD posted:

From what I gathered, In the town scene we see Joshua's got the Phoenix power and it looks like he uses it to heal the protagonist's hand or something to that effect. It's mainly to demonstrate that Joshua has that power. The protagonist has a bond with the kid and is sworn to protect him as mentioned by saying "I'm Joshua's shield." Later, Joshua becomes emotional over the betrayal that happens right before his eyes and his rage/emotion results in the summoning of Phoenix. He's not in control of it due to said outrage so phoenix flames start the fires. The person exploding into a pillar of fire is someone else entirely, who is unknown. It is this person who summons Ifrit. It is likely they are in league with the betrayer and/or dragoons that attack afterward. Either way, the Phoenix and Ifrit fight and the Phoenix/Joshua loses (There's dialogue during the reverse POV shot of Ifrit going Evangelion on something to the effect of "No, Joshua, please wake up!") The protagonist probably finds Joshua and is given his power right before he dies. The protagonist now endures a trial by fire with this power, literally, by defeating the invaders, culminating with the dragoon boss fight. Then sometime later the fights in the swamp with the Goblin, Ogre, and Malboro happen. Then after THAT, the rest of the scenes are after a time skip. The protagonist stating "I'll kill you if it's the last thing I do" is the protagonist stating that he has a particular set of skills now, and he's going to become a nightmare for guys like the mysterious Ifrit Dominant person.

I didn't think we needed to spoil speculation but I don't wanna piss anyone off, so...

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 17, 2020

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lastdancer posted:

The protagonist stating "I'll kill you if it's the last thing I do" is the protagonist stating that he has a particular set of skills now, and he's going to become a nightmare for guys like the mysterious Ifrit Dominant person.

Hype is a dangerous thing, but I can't shake the feeling that this is going to be a very good Final Fantasy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hello is this thread broken

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Eox posted:

Hype is a dangerous thing, but I can't shake the feeling that this is going to be a very good Final Fantasy

Seeing that trailer just reminded me how much the series has imprinted on me basically my whole life.

Even when the games have been disappointing in the end, I think this is the one series where any time there's something new announced my reaction is "Yes! Yes!" every time, I can't say that about any other franchise really. Like no matter how varied the aesthetics, people using New Capitalized Proper Nouns and having those familiar themes is just roping me in

speaking of which
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W47VSKCqeWU

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

BurningBeard posted:

Everyone will buy it and play it and rejoice in twelve years when it’s released. This is a fact.

This post shows why I'm so ecstatic about the rumors of Yoshi-P being in charge of FF16 turned out to be true. The FF series has been plagued by mismanagement and development hell for almost 2 decades now. Yoshi-P's time in charge of FF14 has shown him to be an incredibly talented project leader. The guy's team put together a whole new FF14 in a new game engine in 18 months, while simultaneously updating the old game to a playable state. Over the last 7 years his team has released patches and expansions like clockwork.

Edit: on top of all that he seems to be a cool guy who really loves video games and genuinely wants to make fun games for people to enjoy.

Lazy Fair fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 17, 2020

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

This is one spicy chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Not just the expansions, but the mid-expansion patches too. There's a new major patch with story content and new features every three months, like clockwork. The only significant delay was the most recent one, due to COVID. And they do a great job of balancing giving enough for players to do without giving them too much for them to do.

Yoshi P runs a phenomenally tight ship.