Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I got every medal. Please can I stop now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I A-ranked every mission on Wii U. I A-ranked every mission on 3DS. Didn't get all the medals because I didn't streetpass for rental skills and that killed my drive for em. Now I'm finishing Cucco's Fury on Switch before diving back into the maps.

Now I have a time limit. Oof.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oyster posted:

I A-ranked every mission on Wii U. I A-ranked every mission on 3DS. Didn't get all the medals because I didn't streetpass for rental skills and that killed my drive for em. Now I'm finishing Cucco's Fury on Switch before diving back into the maps.

Now I have a time limit. Oof.

the switch version's requirements for A-ranks are outrageously generous, to the point where they might as well not exist at all

and thank god for that, many of the hero map nodes in the Wii U version had health reqs so strict they'd dock you if a single stalchild kicked you in the shin

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Specifically, the Switch version changed it so that the damage requirements are based on a percentage of your total health lost, rather than absolute damage taken, so getting heart containers and leveling up makes it easier to do well.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if the next Hyrule Warriors will be 2 player too. It runs a bit sluggish but is still fun to do.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bongo Bill posted:

Specifically, the Switch version changed it so that the damage requirements are based on a percentage of your total health lost, rather than absolute damage taken, so getting heart containers and leveling up makes it easier to do well.

Yeah, in the original a bunch of the A ranks were capped at 5 hearts lost total. In 3DS and Definitive they were massively expanded and I think even the strictest one in Definitive is 80% damage taken. Which is 24 hearts if you have all of them on a character.

In return though, KO requirements were jacked up. They were a flat 1200 for A rank in all maps on WiiU and range from 1000-1800 depending on map and rank in Definitive.

For time 15 minutes has always been the A rank cut off for everything iirc.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

seiferguy posted:

I wonder if the next Hyrule Warriors will be 2 player too. It runs a bit sluggish but is still fun to do.

I hope the next game has both split screen and online coop. I've been 2p-ing it up with my brother but I'd like to be getting these materials and rupees on my save as well.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kin posted:

Yeah, I think that's why I can see something like Mario Warriors being an easy win.

There's already a roster of playable characters (Mario's gang, Bowsers Gang, Warios gang, etc) and a variety of enemies from goombas to hammer bros as well as a number of bosses that could be hand picked from any of the games.

Nintendo could even churn out DLC. You could have a Donkey Kong one, super Mario Land ones, Wario Land, super Mario Galaxy.

Even stuff like unlockable skins, moves and weapons. It's kinda all there really.

Just do a Super Smash Bros Warriors.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Dynasty Warios

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Pirate Warriors 4 is a lot of fun, and I’m not even a One Piece fan.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Just started playing this and I'm almost done with Legend Mode. I've dipped into Adventure when I just want a quicker session and have a question about searching.

I don't remember where any of these secrets in Zelda 1 are. If I use a card on something that isn't a secret does it waste it? Are the cards going to be plentiful or is wasting one a pain?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Postman posted:

Just started playing this and I'm almost done with Legend Mode. I've dipped into Adventure when I just want a quicker session and have a question about searching.

I don't remember where any of these secrets in Zelda 1 are. If I use a card on something that isn't a secret does it waste it? Are the cards going to be plentiful or is wasting one a pain?

Just look up a guide. Cards aren't a limited resource but you don't want to be grinding cards because you're trying to guess where the secret is when they are the least important thing to farm for on the maps.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The switch version lets you buy cards so wasting them isn’t a big deal. Just use a compass to highlight the right spot first and it’s normally pretty obvious what item you need to use.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Zore posted:

Yeah, in the original a bunch of the A ranks were capped at 5 hearts lost total. In 3DS and Definitive they were massively expanded and I think even the strictest one in Definitive is 80% damage taken. Which is 24 hearts if you have all of them on a character.

In return though, KO requirements were jacked up. They were a flat 1200 for A rank in all maps on WiiU and range from 1000-1800 depending on map and rank in Definitive.

For time 15 minutes has always been the A rank cut off for everything iirc.

And yet I just got a C on level 2 giant battle of Cucco's Fury. Super glad that's back in this version, mindless button mashing is what I need sometimes.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
We got another trailer / game play video!

https://youtu.be/kkYzYWsRLks

Young Impa is a playable character.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

seiferguy posted:

We got another trailer / game play video!

https://youtu.be/kkYzYWsRLks

Young Impa is a playable character.

It doesn't really seem like a musou in the same sense as HW1, more like a linear combat focused prequel to BOTW.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Hyrule Warriors: Link's Rage

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

pentyne posted:

It doesn't really seem like a musou in the same sense as HW1, more like a linear combat focused prequel to BOTW.

???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZB75gT8YTk

Its super Musou. We still have keeps, break gauges, hordes of enemies, captains etc.

One of Link's new moves is a shield surf and he's got a lot of bow attacks which look fun.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 26, 2020

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Zore posted:

???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZB75gT8YTk

Its super Musou. We still have keeps, break gauges, hordes of enemies, captains etc.

One of Link's new moves is a shield surf and he's got a lot of bow attacks which look fun.

Impa's looks badass as well. Can't wait for this. I mean, I knew I was probably going to get it, but watching Link defeat captains with loads of explosives sealed the deal.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The gameplay pausing while the player cycled through the runes is what the last game needed to make the subweapons useful.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

On WiiU when playing with the WiiU tablet, you could actually reach over and swipe left or right on the screen to change subweapon, and it was really useful! Sadly, they didn't keep this for the switch version when playing in handheld mode.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Yes, you can do the thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8k6h5US3BE&t=377s

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Makes me hopeful I can also ride the Lynels.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
So we got a new trailer that confirms Robbie and Purah which brings us up to 9or 10 characters depending on if the mini-Guardian is one or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP9wD-3q84Q

They've almost definitely still got a few left to reveal too. I'm betting the King is one of them even if he's locked to the adventure mode equivalent, seems a waste not to use that model and all the unique animations we've seen.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

There's a Nintendo Treehouse at 10 AM PT that's going to cover Hyrule Warriors and Pikmin 3. Their announcement tweet claims we'll see a new stage and gameplay details.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zore posted:

So we got a new trailer that confirms Robbie and Purah which brings us up to 9or 10 characters depending on if the mini-Guardian is one or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP9wD-3q84Q

They've almost definitely still got a few left to reveal too. I'm betting the King is one of them even if he's locked to the adventure mode equivalent, seems a waste not to use that model and all the unique animations we've seen.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Game looks fun as hell. Seems like there's some nice weapon variety and swapping between the secondary stuff is a lot more fluid.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I was too busy trying to figure out who the 6th character was supposed to be to realize that's 24 character slots...

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

FPzero posted:

I was too busy trying to figure out who the 6th character was supposed to be to realize that's 24 character slots...
Yeah, the 6th one is just Revali's slot. Adding Robbie and Purah and we're up to at least 9 out of that; it's also possible that not every slot will be filled at launch and it was made like that to obfuscate the final count.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Gonna laugh if the Blight Ganons are playable characters.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Was the original game's UI set up with enough slots for all the existing characters (pre-dlc)? Part of me thinks thats more of a layout/future-proofing thing then evidence of 24 characters.

I didn't watch the stream - was there anything about secondary modes like HW1's adventure mode?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The original game had the ui rearrange when you got new characters, I believe, instead of showing them all off at first. To your question, yes and no. Most of what we saw was not exactly the traditional story mode, unless it is just more free form in this game. Their were side quests and training challenges shown off.

We got more Link gameplay, this time with a two-handed weapon, and his special (or focus spirit, couldn’t figure out which) was eating food and then going to town on the enemies. He was in a training against soldiers and then a boss fight against Daryl.

Urbosa gameplay was what you would likely expect. Lots of fighting with the scimitar with lightning thrown in. Her mission was likely actual story mode and involved fighting off lots of Yiga.

Zelda gameplay involved using the runes almost like how her Dominion Rod worked in HW.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

It seems like one of the shoulder buttons (couldn’t make out which one on my phone) is gonna be a special “Trait” button that does different things for each character/moveset. For Link’s two-handed moveset you can press it instead of the Strong Attack button in your combo to power up your attacks in exchange for dealing temporary damage to yourself. It looked like Link can heal off the temp. damage by pressing the Trait button by itself to eat food or by doing a Special Attack (which has him eating food as part of the animation)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I figured that was just his "no combo Special Attack" button press, like in HW1 where pressing Special outside of a combo was usually some unique attack or buff related to the character's moveset.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

It was actually unclear what button was being pressed to eat food, it might have been just the strong attack button. But pressing the trait button where you would normally press the strong attack button was definitely a thing they mentioned

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Scrap Dragon posted:

It was actually unclear what button was being pressed to eat food, it might have been just the strong attack button. But pressing the trait button where you would normally press the strong attack button was definitely a thing they mentioned

You can see prompts on screen for both of these in the treehouse video.

"Press Zr in place of a strong attack for a sacrifice strong attack"
"Heal temporary damage with a meal: X"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I do hope they put Linkle in.

Who cares if it makes sense. Linkle arrives wherever she is needed.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Mokinokaro posted:

She'll be in and you get to watch her die to Guardians, Groose too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

:same: