Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

American McGay posted:

I mean, Microsoft told people when pre-orders would be available a week ago.

Sony on the other hand told people back in July that they'd give people plenty of advance notice for pre-orders, made a bunch of current customers sign up for an exclusive mailing list to get notified when pre-orders start, tweeted out today after the show that "some store will be doing limited pre-orders tomorrow" and then 15 minutes later stores started putting up their pre-order pages.

Lol

That owns

I'd probably feel different if I was actually trying to get one at launch but day 1 people are all degenerates anyway.

I think the closest I ever came to getting a console at launch was psp and I regretted it until it got hacked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
uhh, mobile games didn't start taking market away from others until not long ago.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah but that market share has been going to mobile games, not Microsoft or Nintendo, lol.
Marketshare of console ownership. Do the math. It did go to Microsoft and Nintendo.

155m PS2 / 24m Xbox / 22m GCN => 4 out of every 5 consoles sold was a PS2
102m Wii / 87m PS3 / 86m X360 => 1 out of every 3 consoles sold was a PS3

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

American McGay posted:

Their marketshare shrinking from over 80% to 30% in a single generation seems like the bigger takeaway but hey I'm not an economist.

um the reason the ps2 is insanely higher than every other console ever is because people kept buying them for years in non usa/euro markets etc. seriously they made them until 2012.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Stux posted:

xbox isnt competition and hasnt been for 7 years. theres plenty of other competition thats more relevant both in what they offer and how they directly compete with sony. if the only competition is xbox then they already have zero competition.

I'm sure thats why they waited until the very last second to release their prices. Nothing to do with microsoft. right.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm sure thats why they waited until the very last second to release their prices. Nothing to do with microsoft. right.

im sure theyd be happy to completely bury xbox and get to go after whatever is left but theyre really not competition at this point in the same way nintendo, steam/pc and mobile are. theyre all far more relevant because people actually consider those platforms. xbox is a minority share mostly confined to a single region where ps4 still comically outsold it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Grey posted:

Series S is just like Series X, but without 4k and without a disk drive. How is that a joke?

I am considering getting it since I don't have a 4k TV.

4K TVs aren't the prohibitive luxury buy they were in 2015. Pretty much like 95% of the TVs on sale now in the United States are 4K. I can get a 65" 4K TV with a pretty decent panel and streaming (and data harvesting) for like $250 right now. Anybody in the US buying a new TV tomorrow or the day after, and so forth, is buying a 4K TV.

I'm not saying that you're at all weird or stuck in the past if you already have a good TV. That TV will probably be fine for years. If my HDTV hadn't died when it did I wouldn't own a 4K TV today. Most people who own a 4K TV today probably found themselves in a similar situation, or at least weren't motivated by the prospect of watching 4K content. The content availability is still paltry.

But forking your console in a way where the budget model can't play 4K and the high-end model can seems really short-sighted in 2020 when the market for 4K television sets has matured to the point of relative commodity status. And the Series S can stream 4K video content, so it's not like MS isn't aware of this (admittedly this also softens the blow somewhat. right now on PC lots of people are using 4K displays and running games at 1440p or 1080 with no complaints).

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 17, 2020

existential anger
Jun 4, 2012

Anything 50" or higher is 99% going to be using a 4k panel of varying quality. Full HD panel production has basically been relegated to smaller TV sets. Its no longer a premium feature, its been commodified to the point you actively have to look for Full HD TVs.

Edit:

ethanol posted:

um the reason the ps2 is insanely higher than every other console ever is because people kept buying them for years in non usa/euro markets etc. seriously they made them until 2012.

Sony didn't EOL the console until 2018. The low cost, abundance, expansive games library, and ease of piracy made it the games console of choice in a large chunk of the world.

To put things into perspective, the last Fifa game ported to the PS2 was Fifa 14. I don't think any games console is ever going to have the reach the PS2 had.

existential anger fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 17, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

existential anger posted:

Anything 50" or higher is 99% going to be using a 4k panel of varying quality. Full HD panel production has basically been relegated to smaller TV sets.

pretty much, and smaller TV sets are likewise dying out. The smallest panel you can find in most retailers is maybe 43-46". You can often find a 27" (usually 1080p) that isn't being sold as a computer display, and then 46" and then 50", maaayyybe 55", and then a bunch of 60", 65", and probably some 75"+. I've been to stores where the smallest thing they had on hand was 50". IIRC, 60"-65" is the most commonly-sold size these days. There's just no cost incentive to buy a smaller TV anymore when the cost difference can be as little as $25-50. Either your space demands it or you're buying a TV for a bedroom or kitchen (and then a lot of people will just shove a 65" panel there anyway), but the days of the 65" TV costing double what a 46" TV did are long gone.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Xbox is an also-ran PC storefront and a boutique console generally only purchased by a number of Americans that doesn't get it anywhere near a domestic majority. It's a curiosity. It's an endeavor whose only success was the result of a series of baffling missteps by the reigning hegemon, most of which were corrected quickly enough that that success did not translate to actually winning in the end.

To this day I still don't get why they didn't try to give the 360 a PS2-like afterlife beyond drip-fed on the new console. They probably would have sold a good number of $99 "it's a Roku but also it plays 360 games, a lot of which still look fine" boxes into the mid-2010s. That storefront never went anywhere, why not? Probably some unfounded fear that it would cannibalize sales of the successor platform. Fear that Sony didn't bother with while PS2 Slims were still rolling off the line in 2011. My wife bought me a PS2 from Target in the year 2013, for my 28th birthday. PS4 was 5 months from coming out. This happened in America.

It seemed for a minute there that Microsoft maybe had a shot at a respectable 2nd place, but that Series S thing, along with their only real "software" offering being a subscription repository for catalogue titles, really makes the whole thing just seem hosed. They clearly thought they were undercutting Sony by pricing the big one at $500. Nope. They clearly thought they had a strong value proposition with a last-gen-plus all-digital console priced at $300, but with an honest-to-God next-gen console priced just $100 more, and a (admittedly more) graphically compromised console from Nintendo at the same price point that is also portable, and also plays Nintendo games, that end of the strategy is landing with a thud. Haven't seen a single developer say anything good about that thing, that situation isn't gonna get any better in the next 2 months or 7 years.

Genuinely curious how they're going to convince Microsoft corporate to keep this thing going, while almost certain that they will.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I was always planning on getting both eventually but if it was one only at launch it would've been the Xbox.

Regardless of my impulse control they should have had preorders ready at the same time.

You should just stop responding to him since he’s a stupid troll who shamed someone for having a job.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Xbox is an also-ran PC storefront and a boutique console generally only purchased by a number of Americans that doesn't get it anywhere near a domestic majority. It's a curiosity. It's an endeavor whose only success was the result of a series of baffling missteps by the reigning hegemon, most of which were corrected quickly enough that that success did not translate to actually winning in the end.

To this day I still don't get why they didn't try to give the 360 a PS2-like afterlife beyond drip-fed on the new console. They probably would have sold a good number of $99 "it's a Roku but also it plays 360 games, a lot of which still look fine" boxes into the mid-2010s. That storefront never went anywhere, why not? Probably some unfounded fear that it would cannibalize sales of the successor platform. Fear that Sony didn't bother with while PS2 Slims were still rolling off the line in 2011. My wife bought me a PS2 from Target in the year 2013, for my 28th birthday. PS4 was 5 months from coming out. This happened in America.

It seemed for a minute there that Microsoft maybe had a shot at a respectable 2nd place, but that Series S thing, along with their only real "software" offering being a subscription repository for catalogue titles, really makes the whole thing just seem hosed. They clearly thought they were undercutting Sony by pricing the big one at $500. Nope. They clearly thought they had a strong value proposition with a last-gen-plus all-digital console priced at $300, but with an honest-to-God next-gen console priced just $100 more, and a (admittedly more) graphically compromised console from Nintendo at the same price point that is also portable, and also plays Nintendo games, that end of the strategy is landing with a thud. Haven't seen a single developer say anything good about that thing, that situation isn't gonna get any better in the next 2 months or 7 years.

Genuinely curious how they're going to convince Microsoft corporate to keep this thing going, while almost certain that they will.

It's terribly funny that the single biggest ace in the hole that kept the whole Xbox endeavor afloat was swiped from Apple of all companies.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Yes but I will counter in that any time I play Forza 7 online at night I'm paired up with aussies throwing slurs at each other.

Xbox wins :smug:

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Honestly with the way the economy is looking, I'm happy that Microsoft is providing cheaper options even though I'm sure this wasn't the plan for it. The Series S, gamepass and/or xcloud... secondhand is best, of course, but lower RRPs mean that will end up cheaper too.

I'm not personally a fan of subscription services but paying for a month of gamepass on your laptop every now and then is probably a lot easier to work into the budget than an entire console.

Impossible to know but I do wonder what the launch prices would have been if Sony went first.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
My recollection is that for a long time 360 was outselling PS3 but then at the end of the generation, PS3 caught up and eventually surpassed. Is that right?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

doingitwrong posted:

My recollection is that for a long time 360 was outselling PS3 but then at the end of the generation, PS3 caught up and eventually surpassed. Is that right?

Yeah, it took several revisions to get the cost down. Also devs eventually figured out how to hack poo poo together against the atrocity of the CELL PROCESSOR

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it also took an insane amount of investment into getting new IPs and stuff out and released. and it got a bit of help by the 360 later in the generation going all in on kinect and forgetting to make normal games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

doingitwrong posted:

Yes they squeaked it. Xbox really took their foot off the gas of exclusives around 2010ish which is right when ps3 started having big games and xbox went all in on kinect

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

always forget the 360 had an entire year headstart too they really took their advantage and dug a big hole for it to live in

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The first few years of ps3 exclusives werent enticing

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Stux posted:

always forget the 360 had an entire year headstart too they really took their advantage and dug a big hole for it to live in

only microsoft had the guts to release a console a year before it was done

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

PS3 outsold it from day one launch aligned. The one year lead shrunk every single month after PS3 launched. But yea it took a while to make up the gap.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Real hurthling! posted:

Yes they squeaked it. Xbox really took their foot off the gas of exclusives around 2010ish which is right when ps3 started having big games and xbox went all in on kinect

It's amazing how the success of the Wii/wiimote motion blinded so many people so quickly. The future of games is pretending to hold a wheel in your hand while racing!

But to be fair, I went to target at 5am and failed to get a launch console. I was enraged and wanted one so badly. The success of wii bowling sort of artificially propped up the entire control scheme for years as nothing ever really reached parity with a god drat mini game launch title.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Roman posted:

Yeah not feeling PS5 at launch. But I also have a gaming PC and GamePass so I kind of own an Xbox already. Are there ANY non-crossplay, not-on-PC exclusive on Series S/X?
So the only thing I could find was Beyond Light for Destiny 2 which is on console gamepass day 1 but won't be on PC gamepass for a year, which doesn't really count

Since I'm not buying either console at launch but pay for GamePass, MS is the clear winner this generation. Pack it up Sony

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

4K TVs aren't the prohibitive luxury buy they were in 2015. Pretty much like 95% of the TVs on sale now in the United States are 4K. I can get a 65" 4K TV with a pretty decent panel and streaming (and data harvesting) for like $250 right now. Anybody in the US buying a new TV tomorrow or the day after, and so forth, is buying a 4K TV.

I'm not saying that you're at all weird or stuck in the past if you already have a good TV. That TV will probably be fine for years. If my HDTV hadn't died when it did I wouldn't own a 4K TV today. Most people who own a 4K TV today probably found themselves in a similar situation, or at least weren't motivated by the prospect of watching 4K content. The content availability is still paltry.

But forking your console in a way where the budget model can't play 4K and the high-end model can seems really short-sighted in 2020 when the market for 4K television sets has matured to the point of relative commodity status. And the Series S can stream 4K video content, so it's not like MS isn't aware of this (admittedly this also softens the blow somewhat. right now on PC lots of people are using 4K displays and running games at 1440p or 1080 with no complaints).

I have a nice 1080P TV. Sure, if I were to buy a new one now I'd get 4K.

It's not worth dumping my current TV and buying a new one just to get 4K though, right? I always heard the difference wasn't that obvious.

Seems like my play is to buy a Series S. If I get a 4K down the road, I could sell off the S and buy an X instead.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

why not just wait and buy a console later why does everyone have a rush to buy consoles at their most expensive, before anyone knows if the launch units have some horrible issue, and when there is absolutely nothing to play on them. even if you want a launch title, its not going anywhere.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Stux posted:

why not just wait and buy a console later why does everyone have a rush to buy consoles at their most expensive, before anyone knows if the launch units have some horrible issue, and when there is absolutely nothing to play on them. even if you want a launch title, its not going anywhere.

Who cares?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

Its cool

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Stux posted:

i want it now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

call it a curiosity no one can ever t ell me why in a coherent way

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ethanol posted:

i want it now

finally thank you

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Stux posted:

I want the fast load times and improved graphics on all my existing xbox games.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
if u dont buy a ps5 or xbone sex at release they send u to a capitalism re-education training camp in america

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I dont think you really notice the increased resolution on a 4k TV at least to the human eye. The wider color gamut of HDR is noticeable though. I dont think there are many non 4k TVs for sale these days.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Grey posted:

I want the fast load times and improved graphics on all my existing xbox games.

then you dont want the series s which plays the one s version of xbone games including them being locked at sub 1080p resolutions if thats what they were on xbox one s

like in ur post the line of logic is you buy a series s now, then later a 4k tv and a series x. whats the point of the first step lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

infraboy posted:

I dont think you really notice the increased resolution on a 4k TV at least to the human eye. The wider color gamut of HDR is noticeable though. I dont think there are many non 4k TVs for sale these days.

you absolutely do and if you dont you need to have an eye test unironically

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

4k blew me away its much sharper and hdr on an oled is amazing

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

4k blew me away its much sharper and hdr on an oled is amazing

and expensive

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hdr pwns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

ethanol posted:

and expensive

Once you see perfect blacks you can’t go back.
I remember when those first pioneer TVs were 10000$ its pretty amazing that the current lg OLEDs are around 2000-2500$ (65inch)