Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

per her debut stream, she already plays FGO

the gacha streams are coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

trucutru posted:

What if she starts playing FGO? what then?

She already does, she talked about how she got Summer Abby.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
And when vtubers take over the world, who's going to be the real winner? That's right, it's Big Gacha. Follow the money, people.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Astel is on the last bit of Portal 2. Dude just flew through it. I hope he gets some one to collab with him for the co-op levels.
https://youtu.be/ogzgLEQrCpo

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

trucutru posted:

What if she starts playing FGO? what then?

She's already intensely deep into it and like 4 other gachas, there's no saving her.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

They should put Ina in f/go

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Her character artist has already made several Foreigners for the game, but I agree that a Hololive/FGO crossover event in a similar vein to the Azur Lane one would be amazing.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I've felt so lethargic all day and need to get some work done, but I saw Amelia is streaming Fall Guys at 1 AM, and now I have motivation to get cofffee and stay up. The power of idols...

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

blossommirage posted:

I've felt so lethargic all day and need to get some work done, but I saw Amelia is streaming Fall Guys at 1 AM, and now I have motivation to get cofffee and stay up. The power of idols...

:coffeepal:

This week has demolished my sleep schedule.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm waiting for the Arknights/Hololive crossover personally.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
horknights

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i've been really surprised with how good of a senpai fubuki has been with both the h5 and holoen launches. She's really great!

IDK if i should be a little disappointed with other hololive people or if it's just to be expected since fubuki is a super-senior (though not the first by any means?) what for not picking everyone up more I guess.

maybe it's just a hololive/idol cultural thing I'm not getting. I guess they are also competition in a way /shrug.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Gura is at 298K Subscribers :stare:

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRYe0uz39g4

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm waiting for the Arknights/Hololive crossover personally.
Already happened on the Hololive end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Tu2SCXlSU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wonder what's up with all these mystery streams the EN team scheduled tomorrow.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Yeah, Ina is a long time FGO JP player, her favorite servant in FGO is of course Hokusai who was designed by the same artist that designed her avatar, probably at her request.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Tabletops posted:

i've been really surprised with how good of a senpai fubuki has been with both the h5 and holoen launches. She's really great!

IDK if i should be a little disappointed with other hololive people or if it's just to be expected since fubuki is a super-senior (though not the first by any means?) what for not picking everyone up more I guess.

maybe it's just a hololive/idol cultural thing I'm not getting. I guess they are also competition in a way /shrug.

fubuki's position in the group is basically brand ambassador. they've been using her as the face of hololive for a long time now and I'd assume she's been directed to use her position to promote others.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Fubuki also seems to be a very social person. She frequently collabs outside of Hololive, more than the other girls except maybe Matsuri.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Stink Billyums posted:

fubuki's position in the group is basically brand ambassador. they've been using her as the face of hololive for a long time now and I'd assume she's been directed to use her position to promote others.

Also she just likes doing stuff like this, look at her impromptu promotion of Marine & Shion's slightly late colab stream, or her messing with reddit, she really just finds this stuff fun.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, Ina is a long time FGO JP player, her favorite servant in FGO is of course Hokusai who was designed by the same artist that designed her avatar, probably at her request.

I googled this character, and spent like 30 seconds confused why all that was coming up was TouHou art. What a cool design.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sindai posted:

I wonder what's up with all these mystery streams the EN team scheduled tomorrow.

Someone on reddit was speculating that it might be announcements for their channels being monetized. Gura also said at the end of her PnP stream that she had a big announcement to make.

e: Calli also has the stream scheduled on what was supposed to be her day off, so it must be something big.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 17, 2020

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Tabletops posted:

There could be things behind the scene that haven't been mentioned yet. For example, Kanata was very open about the fact that she consulted both Pekora and Marine about whether she should sing the Souran Bushi fisherman song for her debut. I vaguely remember some conversation that 4th gen had about how 3rd gen helped them a lot when starting out.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Trihugger posted:

I mean, Fubuki and Suisei are already getting fueled. Suisei even did a sponsored stream where she read off the requirements for sponsorship which stated 'roll to show off the gacha, then show off gameplay.' She abandoned showing off any gameplay, because she couldn't get what she wanted out of the gacha. Spent an hour and got her rl sister involved on nothing but gacha rolls.

I once watched one of the artists for a waifu roll the gacha trying to get her (using the money he got for the drawing commission, of course). He stopped at the "I could have repaired my car" level. Pretty hilarious.

Tomorrow azur lane debuts its very first ultra-rare pull so you know Marine is going to be there.

Since when did Pekora infiltrate the gamers? (And lol at her standing away from the group).

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 17, 2020

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkFNpL5yags

all 6 members of holo en doing great

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Gura just ticked over 300K. In awe of the power of this shark.

I have a feeling she's going to be the Korone of Holo-EN.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

First came the Age of Kizuna Ai, then the Era of Tsukino Mito, soon a dragon rose in the west. Now we live in the time of shark.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Reclines Obesily posted:

Holo Sunshine Amigos

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

hopefully gura's community isnt as hosed up as her previous one got

KoB
May 1, 2009

Reclines Obesily posted:

Where is this from?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Lion posted:

Gura and all the others are completely new vtubers that materialized out of thin air and have no previous experience! Besides, hololive is big enough to handle lovely communities (unless the streamer herself is a big weirdo and likes it that way). e: And by that I mean regular lovely communities, hopefully they have also learned something with the Aloe thing.

KoB posted:

Where is this from?

I use this one

http://virtual-youtuber.userlocal.jp/document/ranking?order=fav_cnt_diff

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 17, 2020

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Paper Lion posted:

Idgi

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I really like Amelia. She has so much energy and the way she talks with her chat makes me wonder if she was a school teacher at some point.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hololive is a scouting company, they scout vtubers/streamers. But...

quote:

- If the other channel/persona is abandoned/shuttered then don't talk about it.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

KoB posted:

Where is this from?

https://holo.poi.cat/settings

turn them all on then goto

https://holo.poi.cat/youtube-channel

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

FractalSandwich posted:

The correct way to spell it is "axtu", though.

:hmmyes:

Nijisanji also posted one of their short compilation videos with random English-speaking moments, with Ange immediately trying to communicate what's closest to her heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtDP3NM9NG8

Dunno if it has been posted but there was also a boys' version from a couple weeks back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh3c3_7Oqe4

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 17, 2020

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yactWfIytDI

this is pretty funny

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

idk anything about her previous community but she had a big youtube channel (~1m subs)

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
What a strange past two weeks its been for me. I had heard about VTubers years ago, from the earliest personalities like Kizuna Ai and Kaguya Luna, but pretty much paid them no mind. I knew that indie jazz music maker GYARI started up a VTuber unit in the spring but didn't have any reason to put my interest in it.

Then, at the end of August, this thread pops up to coincide with me seeing prominent fan animation clips, including 2Snacks' Inugami Korone / Eekum Bokum clip and chained_tan's Pikamee + Tomoshika / Let's Kill Da Ho clip. Somehow, I fail to unfollow the thread and I enter its orbit and its fevered energy. The debut of the Hololive English idols has only strengthened the thread's pull. In my lurking along, I discover that the nature of VTubers has evolved quite a bit from its early days, and is continuing to evolve at a rapid pace. Today rolls around and I find myself unusually agitated with the thoughts of how VTubers fit into the current entertainment ecosystem. And so, here we are, with me trying to release some of my agitation by making a post on a forum to try and satisfy my ego in some small way. It's times like this I wish this forum had a spoiler pop format so most of this text could stay hidden away rather than being a huge annoying block.

I feel like most of my agitation is arising from the fact that I'm still seeing VTubers as an evolution and combination of other entertainment personality fields that I don't have a comfortable amount of knowledge about. If I knew more, or had more time and patience to do research, this would probably end up being some kind of post on Medium trying to explain the fascinating nature of VTubers. That article probably already exists; I haven't looked yet. I kind of don't want to look, it feels like there's magic in not looking. I just want to sort out my personal thoughts with a small release valve.

My mind seems to have settled on these issues when considering the nature of VTubers, including how they perform their content and how they connect with their audiences:
  • (Eastern) Idol culture - This is pretty much a given, considering VTuber origins. The problem is that I don't really know that much about idol culture. My mind recalls vague stereotypes about it being a strict, often exploitative industry, but nothing particularly specific. How much of that 'classic' idol culture has bled over into the VTuber, and how much is unique and contemporary? Is there an equivalent to the 'underground' idol in the VTuber world? Independent idols certainly couldn't exist in a traditional environment, but technology allows anyone to don a virtual avatar and stream to the world.
  • Streaming culture - One of the biggest things I discovered in my recent learnings about modern VTubers is just how much of their activity is based on streaming. I don't follow any streamers myself, and when I do tune into a live stream (such as for Games Done Quick events or eSports games), I'm quick to shut chat out. It's a bit of a culture shock to me to try and wrap my mind around how streamers deal with an active and fast-moving audience. How does the social contract between viewer and audience get maintained? How is this different from a traditional streamer who has no avatar compared to a VTuber who fills a digital avatar with life?
  • Professional wrestling - This is the weird one, especially since I don't know anything about pro wrestling. This is pretty much the main reason for my mental irritation. But I can't help feel like there's a connection there. Wrestlers play a role when they're on stage and in the ring, and kayfabe asks viewers to accept the stories that they're told. But wrestlers are people outside of the ring too, they don't don their masks all the time. How well are we carrying this over to the world of VTubers? Concern about how internet culture interacts with the lives of internet personalities isn't news by any means, avatar or not. But because I've cared to think about this through the scope of VTubers, it's much more of a nag on my psyche than it was before. Having the rules in place for this thread to limit talk of VTubers' 'past' or 'alternative' lives has been good for my mentality, at least.

So I guess this is all to say that I'm feeling a bit conflicted about the nature of VTubers as personalities, entertainers, and real people. Like, I see the booming success of the Hololive English cohort and be excited for their early success but also wary that things don't crash for them from moving too fast and too hard. I can only hope that people maintain as proper a rule of conduct as possible, and that any potential trouble gets minimized, but how much that hope is worth, I don't know.

MrBlarney fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 17, 2020

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Also she just likes doing stuff like this, look at her impromptu promotion of Marine & Shion's slightly late colab stream, or her messing with reddit, she really just finds this stuff fun.

It was so so good. Coming up with new units of time during the stream, fan-art, trending.

https://youtu.be/DIutHGS7pkQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

They are just a bunch of talented girls (in hololive's case) playing a cute character that happens to be an idol (or, in Coco's case, a parody of one).

The main appeal is that they are characters so that gives them lots of freedom, since there is a huge disconnect between their real-life and their onscreen persona, and the audience gets to enjoy their zany antics (which wouldn't be as fun with "real" people).

In wrestling terms, they are closer to masked luchadores who can have any gimmick in the ring because they get to be themselves once the mask is off.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 17, 2020