Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

eonwe posted:

im so psyched, ive never gotten to play demons souls

The combat will feel kinda jank especially coming from BB, DS3 and Sekiro.

But the level design and story is some of the best in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

do people buying the digital one typically have a separate blu-ray player?

also drat that demon's souls remake looks great!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I personally don't watch any blu-rays, there's movies on streaming services. The quality is perfectly fine and beyond amazing for your average viewer like me

Now games, drat if bad textures and choppy frame rates don't piss me off

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

i think it was modeled after episodic arcs like a comic book, but yes, it's very weird that all the cliffhangers and questions for the entire series got wrapped up in the final 5% of the plot after 95% of unrelated puttering around

I get the feeling that the director was way too in love with Kat. Like the gravity rushing was second fiddle to the character he wanted to marry. Way too much of the game was "Let's take away her powers and make her do random errands in costume."

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wife and I rent DVDs and Blu Rays from the library all the time for our kids and ourselves for a movie night. I need at least one next gen console to have a blu ray drive in it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zaphod42 posted:

The combat will feel kinda jank especially coming from BB, DS3 and Sekiro.

But the level design and story is some of the best in the series.

Pretty sure the PS5 version isn’t going to have the jank at the same level as the original.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm kind of over having my Seagate get knocked out and/or permanently corrupted so only having 800-ish gigs of space on the ps5 is a bit of a bummer

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Managed to get a disc edition preorder in at Target, just in case I don’t catch a digital edition at Amazon.

Has anybody done a console preorder with Target before? Are they decent at getting it to you on launch day?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Pretty sure the PS5 version isn’t going to have the jank at the same level as the original.

We'll see. I'm super hyped as a huge fan but yeah unless they completely rework the combat...it's like dark souls 1 cadence were talking about here. .every game after this one has built on it and even though it does some things really well I think people sometimes forget how prototype-y DeS can be. They seem to have tightened up the engine in a lot of ways but that quick tutorial section didn't show any major changes to the flow of combat if that makes sense. DS1 and 2 already get a little flak for being so slow when a newcomer first plays it

I think a lot of people who came off of bloodborne and sekiro could potentially end up very disappointed. But I could be wrong, the level of attention they have given the graphics is pretty amazing. Maybe the combat will get the same treatment

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 17, 2020

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kirios posted:

Wife and I rent DVDs and Blu Rays from the library all the time for our kids and ourselves for a movie night. I need at least one next gen console to have a blu ray drive in it.

As someone that regularly borrows movies and games from the library, for the love of god, either get a cheap blu-ray player for your rentals or clean every single disk that comes from there. I am convinced that library DVDs are what ruined one of my DVD players because kids put their loving grubby hands on those things and then they go directly into the DVD player, and I'm the only one that things that the discs should be (at the very least) wiped off first before inserting them

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I don't really have any strong opinions about that FF16 trailer except that it's extremely obviously 2+ years from being done. I liked the music!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The $70 price doesn't bother me since for all the work that goes into them, some of these titles should be >100 at launch. Plus considering how much entertainment you get out of them even 100 is a steal!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

freebooter posted:

I'm kind of over having my Seagate get knocked out and/or permanently corrupted so only having 800-ish gigs of space on the ps5 is a bit of a bummer

Seagate drives are absolute garbage to a one. I've never had one last longer than maybe a year or two, while I've had dozens of Western Digital drives with lifespans of over 3-5 years that're still viable (I just upgraded to a bigger model). I've still got some spare just for external backup storage.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've got a Western Digital 250GB kicking around from high school that I bought like 15 years ago and it still works.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Either way I'm going to love DeS because I still enjoy that slow almost chess-like action combat from the first dark souls games as much as I do the faster paced tighter stuff like BB/sekiro.

Monster hunter is also similarly deliberate now that I think about it. So yeah as long as they clean up the jank I think it could work. They're going to have to spice up the enemy attacks a little bit though I think, which they definitely seem to have w bosses

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

actionjackson posted:

The $70 price doesn't bother me since for all the work that goes into them, some of these titles should be >100 at launch. Plus considering how much entertainment you get out of them even 100 is a steal!

Good thing I buy all my games used or brand new at $20-$30 not long after they go on sale. Even with all the work that goes into them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't really have any strong opinions about that FF16 trailer except that it's extremely obviously 2+ years from being done. I liked the music!

It seems kinda incredible that the day an FF trailer dropped, no ones talking about it

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seagate drives are absolute garbage to a one. I've never had one last longer than maybe a year or two, while I've had dozens of Western Digital drives with lifespans of over 3-5 years that're still viable (I just upgraded to a bigger model). I've still got some spare just for external backup storage.

The Seagate thing is not just anecdotal either.

Backblaze publishes quarterly hard drive failure rates based on the 140,000 drives they use for their cloud backup service

The Seagate drives always have a higher failure rate than anything else. Look at the 4TB seagates with a 1.03% failure rate based on 19K drives, and the HGST failure rate of .28% off 12.6K drives

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Never played Demon Soul, but it looked super linear.

So you just run down narrow corridors killing dudes until you get to the boss? It made CoD campaigns look like a open world in comparison.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Is FF16 or FF7 remake part 2 coming out first hmmm

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They showed the tutorial area that exists for you to fight some basic enemies then get bodied one way or another .

That said, the game is basically stage-based, to the point that people refer to segments as 1-1, 1-2, etc.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
No that was a really weird showcase, they are semi open levels with some linearity. You can choose which of the five main worlds to tackle at any time

Other than the level structure it's standard soulsborne fare. Explore level, unlock shortcuts / bonfires, collect loot, beat boss.

Oh and collect and spend souls to get stronger of course. As far as I'm concerned, it's souls game the first, with the rest being DS 1, DS2, and bloodborne. Sekiro changes things enough where I consider its own thing

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 17, 2020

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Rinkles posted:

It seems kinda incredible that the day an FF trailer dropped, no ones talking about it

I'm talking about it. I am beyond excited that the next installment of the franchise is being helmed by SaGa alumni Hiroshi Takai and The Savior of Final Fantasy XIV Yoshi-P, with a team of FFXIV Heavensward hires and combat designed by a dude who worked on DMC5 and Dragon's Dogma. If Square's going to go all-in on action RPGs being the face of their brand then at least get good people to put them together and reward successes.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
So amazon preorders are going up around midnight eastern tonight?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Kirios posted:

Also a PSA: You can rent video games at the library. Including PS4 games and likely PS5 games in a few months.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

eonwe posted:

im so psyched, ive never gotten to play demons souls

You are in for such a goddamn treat. It's the perfect dip-in/dip-out Souls game. If you find an area too hard (and you probably will), you can pop out and explore somewhere new and get a completely different feel for the game and the stuff it has in store for you. It's ADD Souls, and it's amazing, especially as you start venturing deeper into the archstones.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also a PSA: You can rent video games at the library. Including PS4 games and likely PS5 games in a few months.

That's also very true. Some games that I kind of want to play but don't want to spend money on I've rented from the library on numerous occasions. To me this more than justifies the 100 dollar extra purchase.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Amazon is up. Just ordered.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

arbybaconator posted:

link?

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

The Grey posted:

Never played Demon Soul, but it looked super linear.

So you just run down narrow corridors killing dudes until you get to the boss? It made CoD campaigns look like a open world in comparison.

The level design is incredibly clever, stuff loops all around and back on itself and opens up shortcuts to other areas. It's not "open world" but to say it's linear doesn't give it nearly enough credit.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I got the digital one from Amazon, canceled the Target one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/item-dispatch?ie=UTF8&action=addToCart&asin.1=B08FC6MR62&tag=sec2002-20

Edit:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1306438224496087040

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1306438224496087040?s=20

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

@wario64 on twitter is a must follow. Thanks to that account I just got a preorder on Amazon.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Snagged a digital from Amazon. Will we get them on launch day? Who the hell knows.

StepDadJeff
Feb 22, 2005

Justice Jesus

arbybaconator posted:

Edit: Woot, got one. Thanks!

StepDadJeff fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 17, 2020

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
woahhh thanks guys, I think I just got one

now to decide whether I should cancel my german PS5 or wait a bit...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Disc $499 https://amzn.to/3msqZDO
Digital $399 https://amzn.to/3mvKGuo

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Got mine, thanks Wario!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I assume since I got one on Amazon I should cancel my Target one. Which one do you all think is more reliable for launch date? Gotta be Amazon right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

go go go