Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

yeah occupying a foreign land of a different religion+culture plus its been sieged down means Control is basically at 0 and faction discontent maxxed out. Good luck to the AI holding on to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is it me or are invasions a little less bonkers then they used to be. It started as the Magyars, invaded Bulgaria and took over most of their poo poo but only got Pannonia.

Back in 2 you'd also get any land you occupied which to be fair was a bit OP and allowed you to swallow entire empires in one go if you were willing to do a bit of grinding.

When you declare an invasion be sure to check what title the objective is. It doesn't default to the target's primary title like you would probably assume. Hell, it doesn't even require that the target title actually be held by your enemy or even exist. What probably happened is you declared war with the objective of invading a kingdom title that your enemy only held a tiny amount of land in.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mantis42 posted:

God there's too many naked people hanging out in India.

I'm currently playing as the naked people in India, and occasionally my ruler just goes "You want out of my dungeons? Take off your pants. That's all, you're free to go." I mean it's a little more involved than that, but given the interconnectedness of the faiths in CK2, I imagine it's basically "Well, I guess I can ponder the Buddha without pants."

Also at one point I was hosting a neighboring king and he was like "Your son is cool, wanna spend some time with your son. Just the two of us. No, nothing funny will be going on." My dude gave him a thumbs-up and said "I absolutely trust that you will have a simply marvelous time without buggering my child." Upshot, I have a friend. But at what cost? No, seriously, I have no idea what happened in there, I didn't want to risk the Intrigue check.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dunno how accurate it was, but someone in this thread said that most jains of that sect still wore clothes, and it was just the monks who didn't. Which kinda makes the India situation a lot funnier and dumber if true.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Man whoever was saying man at arms are insanely powerful was on the money. My professional only force will wipe stacks 3-4 times it's own size with regularity. Better still the AI doesn't understand it's going to get wrecked bringing it's levy based armies to the fight, so they just run their army into you while you siege stuff down, no fuss to be had.

Does it cost me 100 gold/month to keep them in the field? Yes. Is it worth it? Absolutely.

Hopefully we get a patch that teaches the AI to upgrade it's holdings sometime soon so I can get more competition.

Excelzior posted:

yeah occupying a foreign land of a different religion+culture plus its been sieged down means Control is basically at 0 and faction discontent maxxed out. Good luck to the AI holding on to it.

Speaking of I'm not sure the AI understands county control at all. I'm playing France with Absolute Authority so my vassals aren't fighting and there's no counties really changing hands, but there's weird pockets of low control that don't go away until I send my martial over. I know there's (really good) events that drop it, but I'd expect the local rulers to be way more on the ball about that.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Are reforming a faith and creating a new faith the same thing and done in the same menu? I want to reform my Muslim sect, but can't seem to find a 'reform' menu or button anywhere.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Does claiming an entire duchy also claim each individual county in the duchy, or is it just a claim on the title "Duke of Hyperborea" or whatever? So far I've been slowly conquering just a county at a time, so I can give the titles to loyal vassals/ungrateful shitlord family members instead.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

How are u posted:

Are reforming a faith and creating a new faith the same thing and done in the same menu? I want to reform my Muslim sect, but can't seem to find a 'reform' menu or button anywhere.

Islam is an organized religion so it gets the option to create a new faith/heresy rather than reform the faith, yes.

The only mechanical difference between the two is that going from unreformed to reformed enables features like holy wars and feudalism.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Does the de jure capital of a kingdom matter? Earldom of Hampshire is the de jure capital of the kingdom of England but Essex has the special building for London which is where I’d prefer to move the capital

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Does the "Designate Heir" function still do anything if you have Primogeniture?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Impressive that despite many of my powerful vassals having a -150 offensive wars opinion of me (owing to around 50 years of nonstop war-waging), I haven't had a single rebellion since my first when I was still a preteen. I guess having a dread of 100 and regularly executing and/or devouring prisoners of war can do that.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Also I may or may not have abducted the pope.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do I use condoms in this game? 2 kids is fine, maybe 3. I don't have the heart to find ways to drown my kids either. Succession is wildly strange to me and I think kids are making it worse.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There’s a perk that unlocks celibacy if you really want

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

Does the "Designate Heir" function still do anything if you have Primogeniture?

Yes, it overrides it essentially.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the AI is coded to try to convert culture/religion to match its capital if it can, to avoid the popular opinion penalty for being mismatched and to try to avoid populist factions.

That doesn't explain why the King of Bulgaria converts to Tengri in roughly every other game.

Bulgaria is just a mess. I get that it's trying to be a vaguely historical challenge but if you start as one of the non-Orthodox vassals (Slovenskan or Tengri) you have a very good chance of getting your titles revoked and losing in the first couple of years. The only way to survive is to get to 250 piety and convert to your liege's religion. Then ha ha to you if he goes and converts to Tengri.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It's always funny in CK when you get a character that seems doomed to a short life of mediocrity but ends up being way more interesting and impactful than any of your other perfectly bred genius prodigies. In this case Þordr Rurikid looked pretty good if not amazing: quick, hale, 3 star martial education, no especially bad traits. Almost as soon as he became ruler, however, things began looking pretty dire. Upon succession I found out that my previous character was not the father. Instead, Þordr was the product of an incestuous union between his mother and maternal grandfather. Well that was a gross twist but at least he didn't come out inbred. About a year into his reign, however, he gets struck with leprosy. Well poo poo.

Despite the 95% fertility penalty he managed to get a pair of daughters (actually Þordr's brother turned out to be the father lol) so alright we got an heir, guess I'll send my dude off raiding to build up the treasury for the transition to feudalism that should end up happening in the next few decades. Somehow though, in spite of his illness and leading his army into countless battles, Þordr lives long enough to finish educating his heirs as well as adopting feudalism and the local Russian culture (I put that off until feudalism because I needed longships for my relentless pillaging of the Mediterranean). Þordr certainly exceeded my expectations and now has the neat distinction of being the last viking of the Rurikid dynasty.

Remarkably, Þordr wasn't even close to being done. As he pushes into his 50s, 60s, and 70s he sees his grandchildren come of age and produce great-grandchildren. The highlight of his life was a long and bloody war with neighboring Poland, which took advantage of my greatly diminished military that came with feudalism to launch an invasion. Between Poland and its ally Estonia-Lithuania and Þordr's allies in Lotharingia and Venice both sides each fielded about 20,000 troops. With my realm only having 5,000 men I had to lean on my allies a lot, which didn't always work in my favor. During one unfortunate battle the enemy maimed and captured Þordr's grandson, Folki. To ensure that such a valuable hostage would not influence the course of the war Þordr murdered Folki, with the assistance of his grandson's wife of all people. Þordr later seduced the new widow and married her after his own wife kicked the bucket (amusingly, once you become old enough the attraction penalty of leprosy goes away). For all his accomplishments, Þordr is the medieval world's worst grandpa.

Eventually, after much grueling fighting and a little kinslaying, the war was won. Now 73, Þordr has lived and ruled longer than any of his predecessors. The end is surely not far now, if the constant "You are on death's doorstep" notification is to be believed. Powerful tribal realms surround the nascent feudal kingdom of Novgorod. Poland and Estonia-Lithuania to the west are weakened but not crippled. To the north, Finland is as mighty as Poland was a few years ago and likewise is also allied with Estonia. The vast Volga-Ural empire of the east and the steadily expanding Byzantines in the south are also cause for concern. But these matters will have to be dealt with by future rulers, for now Þordr is going to spend his remaining time relaxing in Kiev with his hot young nudist wife that he stole from his grandson.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

buglord posted:

How do I use condoms in this game? 2 kids is fine, maybe 3. I don't have the heart to find ways to drown my kids either. Succession is wildly strange to me and I think kids are making it worse.

The Learning lifestyle. It can offer you a decision to become celibate, which can also be turned off later if you wish. The perk you want is Restraint, on the left, 2 perks in.

edit: If you're in a position to expand easily (such as Vikings or the ERE), you can also embrace having lots of kids and just hand out newly-conquered titles to your non-heir children like candy. They'll love you for making them the count of a saharan oasis or a tribe far-northern Sami-land, no joke.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 17, 2020

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Hæsteinn of Nantes (now Hæsteinn of Montaigu) is still as goddamned broken as ever.

I invaded King Charles of West Francia, seeing that he had no allies. Then he allied with the other Karlings and the Basileus. gently caress, I thought. Might be time to restart.

Baited him into attacking me over a river and took him prisoner, immediately winning the war. King of West Francia within 8 months.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Has anyone noticed the Pope calling constant crusades? My Pope is calling a crusade like, every 6 years, even though catholic fervor hovers around 35%. Don't get me wrong, with a Karling start, its an easy way to get relatives on foreign thrones, but it seems a little excessive. I think you should need a minimum fervor of like 75% to call a crusade. They should make crusades more of an act of desperation by an embattled religion rather than a giant land grab.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It was pretty wild when my Famous Reveler, King Chad of Brohemia, knifed a random woman in the courtyard. Crazy event to have fire at your nth successful feast.

And then the Countess of Zatec saw me do it, so I had to knife her too...

But the Duke of Moravia found out and blackmailed me, so I had to kill him too...

And his heir was going to inherit the Kingdom of Hungary, so...

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 17, 2020

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
I think the crusade timer was shortened from 30 to 20 years. What's especially confusing is that winning a crusade lowers your religion's fervor and raises that of the loser. So being victorious in holy wars... sends a sign that God doesn't favor you and you should convert? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Aschlafly posted:

I think the crusade timer was shortened from 30 to 20 years. What's especially confusing is that winning a crusade lowers your religion's fervor and raises that of the loser. So being victorious in holy wars... sends a sign that God doesn't favor you and you should convert? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's even better than that. Winning *any* holy war - not just crusades - decreases ferver for a religion. So, if you're a large religion with a lot of countries bordering pagans holding constant holy wars, your ferver is stuck at zero almost all the time.

Zero ferver yields lots of heresies popping up and claiming countries - which creates even more countries for the AI to holy war against.

Every game I've played has seen Catholocism's ferver crater for most of the game except for a few brief moments when another batch of cathars or watever is popping up.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Aschlafly posted:

I was loving around with the console and I kept raising fervor to 100% and I am pretty sure I was getting crusades under 20 years. But I could be wrong

Oddly it kept warring for Jerusulem and Syria, but never against for the holy site held by Byzantium

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Speaking of I'm not sure the AI understands county control at all. I'm playing France with Absolute Authority so my vassals aren't fighting and there's no counties really changing hands, but there's weird pockets of low control that don't go away until I send my martial over. I know there's (really good) events that drop it, but I'd expect the local rulers to be way more on the ball about that.

I think the AI has a habit of surrendering to peasant revolts rather than fighting them. If you see that, check if the county has the "increased autonomy" modifier. Surrendering to a peasant revolt is a -75 to control and adds that modifier, which reduces control growth by 50% for 10 years.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I suppose if you’re a one-county count, you might not be able to fend off a peasant revolt if they spawn on top of your rally point (and I assume the AI just has the one, on their capital)

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

megane posted:

"If you wanted me to bring my soldiers along, you should've said so."
Has anyone tried to see if sending a lone knight (like my rival vassal) to an ally war count forward the war-score if he kills like 20 people in a battle? Also is there no "attach troop to troop" button or did i miss it?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the AI has a habit of surrendering to peasant revolts rather than fighting them. If you see that, check if the county has the "increased autonomy" modifier. Surrendering to a peasant revolt is a -75 to control and adds that modifier, which reduces control growth by 50% for 10 years.
Yeah even king tend to surrender to peasant revolt. And when they lose to revolt they also tend to give away some land, i lost like 5 county out of 11 province to that. I was whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. Taking them back was funny because the peasant leader was now a 10 counties count with more troops than me a duke. Had to wait for him to have 3 children then assassinate him. Then it was an easy expansion.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 17, 2020

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Is there anything I can do to convince my chaste heir that he should get to work loving his wife?

He may not know it, but a countdown timer has started before he winds up leading a solo invasion of some far off place while his successful younger brother sits at home with my glorious grandchildren

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Trevor Hale posted:

Is there anything I can do to convince my chaste heir that he should get to work loving his wife?
If you are good at intrigue, just make his wife your mistress, he will never know.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Toplowtech posted:

If you are good at intrigue, just make his wife your mistress, he will never know.

Now there’s an idea for getting the most mileage from my eugenics program...

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

buglord posted:

Marry 43-year-old women, or chaste old men with inherited sterility (it's only -50% fertility).

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Toplowtech posted:

My god, it’s beautiful

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I caught my wife and son having an affair and was given the option to join in love this game

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I tried that Bohemia start somebody suggested, interesting. As a feudal lord already, how do you convert counties you conquer to feudal holdings ? The encylopedia says it should be possible to upgrade a feudal holding to a castle when religion and culture match mine, but I see no button to do it.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

I don't give a gently caress about this covid thing, work you loving devs

Obviously no one wants the devs to crunch insane hours to patch their game, but Paradox is no longer a small company and the standards of the market are already pretty lax. They don't need people to whiteknight for them.

Obviously a lot of issues will take some time to get ironed out, but there's still a lot of options between "work 24/7 to fix the game ASAP" and "complete radio silence 2 weeks after the release".

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah no, we're having still having a global pandemic right now. As far as I'm concerned, getting anything done this year on time and with quality is a miracle in of itself; some moron with delusions about the ease of WFH can gently caress right off, and calling giving devs some leeway in one of the biggest ongoing disasters in human history whiteknighting is missing the forest for the trees if you legit want to champion the cause of consumer rights.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Let's talk for a moment about the sorriest motherfucker this side of Scotland. Let's talk for a moment about Duncan II:

To say nothing ever worked for Duncan II would be putting it mildly. Duncan was the unluckiest, most useless King imaginable. If his father had been around to see how useless his son and heir was going to be, he would have drowned him at birth. Despite the reasonable diplomacy skill and good stewardship, Duncan had no handle on anything. He lost territory, he lost prestige and he lost every single war Scotland ever fought in. Things got so bad that at one point he had negative 800 in Prestige after his vassals successfully lowered crown authority and took four favours out of him. Ironically the lowering of crown authority did more to help than hinder - more successful vassals and family members used this to reclaim land lost. Really, the only thing going for him was his children.

Well, I say that, however:

This is a rather typical day in the life of his first born child. Princess Valence is - despite somehow being chaste - a fornicating, lustful, batshit insane maniac, who has many bastards roaming around the country and is showing no signs of stopping. Things got so bad that at one point she was banished from the realm, however this doesn't seem to have stopped her roaming about Britain, continuing her...er...fornication.

By the age of 68 it was looking like Duncan would achieve nothing, a footnote in the history books of the Dunkeld family. There was only one, tiny slither of hope that could help him reclaim at least some infamy in the record books.

Meet King Wulfmaer, the coolest guy Duncan has ever seen. Wulfmaer has done it all, whilst looking like a badass pirate. Originally the Duke of Mercia, he rose up and overthrew the King of England, lost it to a Queen Margaret, won it back it again, and fought back and won against vassal uprisings and peasant rebellions. Duncan wishes he was half as good.

Then Duncan had an idea. Before all this kicked off, Wulfmaer as Duke agreed a matrilineal marriage between Duncan's daughter and Wulfmaer's second son. At the time this was considered as a potential method of creating a claim on the Duchy of Mercia, but suddenly this became far more important.

Duncan had a plan. He had some skill in the art of intrigue, so he got talking to an advisor, working out how to fabricate hooks. The plan was simple - kill Prince Wulfmaer, first in line and heir to the throne.

Killing the Prince was't going to be easy though - despite a sadistic trait of enjoying torture, the Princes honest bravery and arrogance was well liked within the Court. Nobody was interested in murdering him. If this was going to work, it was going to have to be someone close. Someone he wouldn't suspect.

His wife.

The fabrication took years and many court dealings. Duncan could feel his time was running out, now age 69 his health was failing him. Finally a scandal was formed, one that allowed Duncan to save the lady Wulfmaer from embarrassment, whilst creating a strong hook on her. He used it and gave clear instructions - you will help me kill your husband.

Did it work?

Of course not.

Despite everything, despite the strong chance of success, the unlikely chance that the plot would be revealed, Duncan's luck caught up with him. The plot was uncovered, then finally the wife was uncovered. All his hard work, everything he had set out to achieve, crashed down around him.

Duncan II died two months later at aged 70. A week or two before his death Prince Wulfmaer was attacked by a peasant uprising, but he bravely fought off and killed the peasants. Any hope of success had dwindled.

Two years later King Wulfmaer's second son died of malnourishment, ending any opportunity altogether of a potential claim.

Duncan II was interred in the family tomb. The engraver of the tomb, an old senile man with aging eyes, made the mistake of spelling his name Dunkon. None of his family bothered to correct the mistake.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 17, 2020

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah no, we're having still having a global pandemic right now. As far as I'm concerned, getting anything done this year on time and with quality is a miracle in of itself; some moron with delusions about the ease of WFH can gently caress right off, and calling giving devs some leeway in one of the biggest ongoing disasters in human history whiteknighting is missing the forest for the trees if you legit want to champion the cause of consumer rights.

Everyone reach out to your favourite companies and tell them not to worry about making sure their stuff is good, there is a pandemic. It’s the least we can do for them.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

once my Murder Scheme is known to the potential victim, is the only way to get rid of the Scheme is Exposed modifier to kill the plot and come back in 10 years? I guess I'm just hoping it goes away with time, I can't see what other mechanic there would be to stuff that particular rabbit back in the hat. I know I can get enough plot power with some time to overcome the -75% a bit and roll the dice then, just wondering if there's a different route to take

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Are the 'start as x character' achievements still bugged? I want to try the Daurama Daura one, it looks fun