Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

boneration posted:

We just adopted a 10 month old cat named Malarkey and she's lovely. My question is about food. The SPCA fed her (and all their cats) Hills Science Diet, and gave us a bag to take home. We've also been feeding her some pate style wet food which she likes.

The pet store lady told us Science Diet is garbage and recommended Performatrin Ultra when we run out of the stuff we have. Is she full of poo poo or what? Is Hills Science Diet bad?

Food brand almost doesn't matter. It's all FDA regulated and anything labeled "nutritionally complete" will be fine for your cat.

What matters is that your cat will eat it and it doesn't have any adverse reactions to it. Unless your cat has a specific medical condition requiring a particular formulation, spend as much or as little as you want for whatever brand is in your store. It doesn't make any actual difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Aw beans. Got some dried silvervine fruit cuz my cat doesn't respond to catnip at all, that also apparently doesn't work on him. He tried chewing on it a little cuz he thought I was giving him a treat but then abandoned it and acted the same as usual.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Deteriorata posted:

Food brand almost doesn't matter. It's all FDA regulated and anything labeled "nutritionally complete" will be fine for your cat.

What matters is that your cat will eat it and it doesn't have any adverse reactions to it. Unless your cat has a specific medical condition requiring a particular formulation, spend as much or as little as you want for whatever brand is in your store. It doesn't make any actual difference.

OK cool. She happily eats the science diet so that is what we'll get. Thanks

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I feel like I've heard "Stay away from X" food for almost all brands of food. My vet in particular is very against Blue Buffalo but I never really asked why.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Might have seen some recall related stuff? Also the 'all food is pretty much the same' regulations are relatively recent and there did used to be a huge difference in food quality so it could be a holdover from the before times.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Blue Buffalo does seem to have a relatively high incidence of recalls. When I wasn't stuck on a prescription diet, that is one of the metrics I used when picking a brand.

Another thing is more expensive (dry) foods tend towards being more calorie dense with higher protein percentages, so while it might look like they're far more expensive, you might be feeding 1/2 to 1/4 of what you would be in friskies or meow mix.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
While we're talking about food - I switched what I was feeding my cat about a week or so ago and I've noticed that she's more vocal/aggressive about asking for food than before. I'm mildly curious if that's because the new food is more calorie dense so she's getting less volume and feels hungrier (and is therefore something that should go away as she adjusts?) or if it's just way more delicious or something.

Or cats, I guess.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Boogalo posted:

Another thing is more expensive (dry) foods tend towards being more calorie dense with higher protein percentages, so while it might look like they're far more expensive, you might be feeding 1/2 to 1/4 of what you would be in friskies or meow mix.

I always think food with low calory density should also have its advantages. Maybe the cat enjoys big portions, or having a lot of filler in the food helps digestion, like fiber does for humans.

After all, cats don't eat pure meat in nature, but more or less the whole prey animal.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I'm pretty much down to the last loving food Snowflake can eat without getting so itchy that he hurts himself. As a bonus it smells like fresh death. He's very sleek and shiny, though!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pixelante posted:

I'm pretty much down to the last loving food Snowflake can eat without getting so itchy that he hurts himself. As a bonus it smells like fresh death. He's very sleek and shiny, though!

I feel you, we've tried so many different kinds of dry/wet food because Finn barfs when he eats and have found the dry Royal Canin S/O stuff works the best for him. He only sometimes barfs now but I always feel so bad as he leers at his sister while she's eating her delicious wet food. He free feeds on the dry stuff throughout the day and doesn't adhere to a strict "feed me now" schedule like Leela does so he's getting enough food but always tries creeping in for a taste of hers.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Welp, after leaving my lunch defenseless I can say my cat loves tahini and doesnt like lamb.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Boogalo posted:

Blue Buffalo does seem to have a relatively high incidence of recalls. When I wasn't stuck on a prescription diet, that is one of the metrics I used when picking a brand.

It's largely because BB doesn't make their own products. They just contract the manufacturing out to the cheapest bidder, like a generic store brand would. Ever notice how the food would often be slightly "different" every case/bag?

Quite a lot of the "fancy" brands do this and they all subsequently have pretty high recall rates.

I really dislike Nestle as a company after unfortunately working for them for many years, but I stick to their Purina for my cat. I know first hand just how very super serious they are about quality control in the factories. They also have a pretty low recall rate because they catch most issues before the stuff leaves the building... and they have the money to just say gently caress that batch, destroy it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'd say you don't need to stop any more than normal. Cats on a road trip tend to be too nervous to drink or use the bathroom and generally end up being able to hold it until they get to the destination.

You say that. Mine reliably shits himself within about 15 minutes into the drive when I move (and screams his head off the whole way)

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My older black cat suddenly went blind Friday night. I took her to the vet and was told the blindness is because she has high blood pressure and a heart condition, and placed her on meds to combat that. She's lost a ton of weight this year that we thought was her thyroid--which she is on meds for as well-- but now the vet thinks it's the blood pressure and heart causing the weight loss. The vet also said it's a matter of weeks, maybe months, before she dies. It's a been a terrible day.

Has anyone had success with high blood pressure meds in situations like this? The blindness is permanent, apparently, but she's a trooper. She's already mapping out the house. I just want her to gain some weight back and enjoy her final bit of time as much as she can.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
My pretty lovely kitty has so ingrained getting fed at 8am and 5pm she pitches a huge fit if I don't come make a big show of saying loudly "dinner dinner food food, dinner food food!" even if her bowl is already full. It doesn't matter that my bowl is full, now is the time the pink giant makes its performance!

Do we have a thread definition for "catbrains?" Because I would propose "catbrain" refers to a behavior that is totally inexplicable to us but is probably completely logical to catbrain. Why the gently caress are you doing that? There's probably a reason, but I cannot comprehend why.

<cat>

edit:

example...

Me: why are you trying to eat that plant that has been in the house for more than a year, in reach for you, that you've never shown any interest in before? It'll probably make you barf.
Cat: I am eating this plant to demonstrate in solidarity with cats worldwide. We are protesting against the cruel oppression of vegetation that makes us barf. We will continue to confront toxic plants until they admit their bias against felines and you as our house human agrees to expel the brutal, violent plants from the household.
Me: that's completely reasonable.

(all my houseplants are pet-safe but once every couple months she decides to try munching on one, then barfs. today she tried a new one. and will probably barf shortly)

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 15, 2020

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I've read that cats eat plants and grass specifically because they want to barf. Something in their stomach is making them uncomfortable, e.g. a hairball, and they want to get rid of it, so they eat plants.

Other people say cats aren't that smart and just eat plants because they're fun to eat.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well. Not only did the food ball not stop James from yelling for early dinner, now he's yelling at me an hour earlier than even his usual "way too early for dinner". Presumably for his food ball.

He even jumped up on the kitchen counter in plain view of me, which by now he knows usually provokes a swift, loud reaction. I happened to be on a work call, so I didn't yell at him.

Oh well. I guess when lockdown is finally over this will stop being a problem since I won't be working from home.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im pretty sure what your referring to is slavery.

My Sasha will sit up and cry at me. She doesnt want food, pets, or lap time. No she wants me to follow her to the cat corner where she will find a spot and plop down. I am to then get down on the floor and pet her there, where she will begin to purr. This doesnt stop until she falls asleep.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

pidan posted:

I've read that cats eat plants and grass specifically because they want to barf. Something in their stomach is making them uncomfortable, e.g. a hairball, and they want to get rid of it, so they eat plants.

Other people say cats aren't that smart and just eat plants because they're fun to eat.

On this note, I just saw Aleta pluck a strand of cat grass and slurp it down like a goddamn noodle!

I've never seen a cat so obsessed with eating plants. I bought her two sacrificial plants last month and she killed both of them in a single weekend. She ate an entire container of cat grass in five minutes. Now she's sitting with her face in her new cat grass patch yelling at Luna for daring to look at it.

In other news, I have seven cat grass patches in old sushi trays growing all over my house.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Artichoke likes grass so much that if you try to feed him some he will so rapidly claw at it that it becomes impossible to feed it to him

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Any recommendations on toys for an active adult cat? He's about 7 years old but still gets serious zoomies.

I've got a good selection of wand toys we rotate through including Da bird. He has a few kickers that he likes but sometimes he runs away from them if it makes a lot of noise, like the Kong kickeroo. Doesn't seem to have much interest in the fake mice or other things that don't move on their own.

I have a cat dancer and hex bug on order. I borrowed a hex bug and it kept him busy for a long time following it around.

The ball track-type toy got about a day of use and now it's ignored. It might be too small for him though.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 16, 2020

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

My cat loved her crappy store brand catnip and would eat it. I got some of d8's :catdrugs: and she just acts disappointed and won't try to eat it or even chew on it at all.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

hats4cats posted:

Any recommendations on toys for an active adult cat? He's about 7 years old but still gets serious zoomies.

I've got a good selection of wand toys we rotate through including Da bird. He has a few kickers that he likes but sometimes he runs away from them if it makes a lot of noise, like the Kong kickeroo. Doesn't seem to have much interest in the fake mice or other things that don't move on their own.

I have a cat dancer and hex bug on order. I borrowed a hex bug and it kept him busy for a long time following it around.

The ball track-type toy got about a day of use and now it's ignored. It might be too small for him though.

Good old laser pointer?

I got a USB rechargeable one recently that's been pretty great. (It did little to distract James, but Wolfgang freaking loves it)

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 17, 2020

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't think I ever introduced my catte to the thread. Meet Sakura!

https://imgur.com/a/K0IrkF4

She was waiting for me to find her at my local humane society shelter back in late June. The shelter said that she is 3 years old, but her vet thinks that she is maybe a year or two younger than that. In terms of how absolutely bonkers she can get, I'm inclined to agree. Otherwise she has some very strong Siamese personality traits and will absolutely talk your ear off. She is independent and attention-seeking at the same time. Absolutely wants all of the pets, but is absolutely not a lap cat and does not sleep in my bed with me. Whenever I pull out a feather toy or chaser toy she will go crazy chasing it. Slowly but surely I've been getting her used to a harness and going outside, but she won't jump out of her backpack when we've gone to the park yet.

She is perfect in every way, even when she keeps me up at night!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My sweet cat baby is at the vet for her castration today, I'm super worried. I bet she's scared.

The process was also pretty clinical, I just walked in, handed over the cat and a consent form, and then walked out again.

Poor baby, but it's all for her own good.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

pidan posted:

My sweet cat baby is at the vet for her castration today, I'm super worried. I bet she's scared.

The process was also pretty clinical, I just walked in, handed over the cat and a consent form, and then walked out again.

Poor baby, but it's all for her own good.

You'll both be okay :kimchi: She'll probably be zonky for a couple days, and you'll have to keep an eye on her, but it'll be back to normal pretty soon.

Hell, Aleta was still groggy from the anesthetic, but she still kept trying to swipe at the vet like a tiny drunk. Then she huddled on the floor for a few hours and slept. By the time the drugs wore off, she was punching her sister in the butthole and eating cardboard like a champ again.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Neutering/spaying is essential and necessary, but I think Ethics got thoroughly traumatized by his. He's so scared of the vet that he shakes. He's kind of scared of anything that isn't me, a couple of my neighbours who cat-sit, and Snowflake.

I really hoped he'd have settled down by now, but I think he's just a skittish cat. If I hadn't gotten him as a tiny kitten I'd have assumed he was abused at some point. If I have friends over he hides under the bed the whole time. I just wish it weren't so risky cuddling him. If a leaf falls outside he bolts, leaving me with accidental scratches.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Thank you both for your comments!

I got to pick Molly up a few hours after the operation, and she was already awake and moving around. For a while she had the most adorable expression on her face, like she was contemplating existential questions.

But by now she's basically back to normal. She hasn't made any noise except purring, even though she usually talks a bit.

I haven't seen the wound itself, but they say it's quite small. The vet encouraged me to take her home by bike, and I won't need to give her any painkillers. She needs to wear a protective shirt for ten days that gives the appearance of a hilariously long neck:

They want me to bring her in again on Saturday, I guess I'll go and ask about her gingivitis. Vet stuff is pretty expensive!

Quills
Mar 24, 2007
Well, vet figured our Ellie's crazy behavior recently was due to pain induced by a bladder stone they found on xrays. Her surgery was scheduled for today, about a week and a half after the diagnosis.

Around four hours after dropping her off got a call that after another xray prior to the surgery they think she must've passed it on her own!

On a diet of prescription food indefinitely, but no surgery today at least! Unfortunately we did put her through the unforgivable trauma of not feeding her breakfast this AM since she had to fast.

Quills fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 17, 2020

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Robot Wendigo posted:

My older black cat suddenly went blind Friday night. I took her to the vet and was told the blindness is because she has high blood pressure and a heart condition, and placed her on meds to combat that. She's lost a ton of weight this year that we thought was her thyroid--which she is on meds for as well-- but now the vet thinks it's the blood pressure and heart causing the weight loss. The vet also said it's a matter of weeks, maybe months, before she dies. It's a been a terrible day.

Has anyone had success with high blood pressure meds in situations like this? The blindness is permanent, apparently, but she's a trooper. She's already mapping out the house. I just want her to gain some weight back and enjoy her final bit of time as much as she can.

I'm sorry, Robot. I hope she can at least be made comfortable again.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

hats4cats posted:

Some people get bummed out about these, but I cannot recommend dehydrated bunny ears enough. My Stevie Bean goes nuts for them and will play fetch with them for hours. I find mine in the doggie treat section of our neighborhood pet store and I imagine any place with a decent food selection would have them. I use this brand: https://www.amazon.com/Vital-Essentials-Freeze-Dried-Rabbit-Treat/dp/B01M0SFHKO they don't really have a smell/stench like some more, er, primal treats can and they're like cat nip for Steve. He will rub his face all over them and chew them as well as fetch.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I've had some cats rekindle an interest in ball track toys when part of it is under a couch (or something), so the ball disappears. They're mostly a miss, though.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

After like five years, I finally have one sitting next to me and one on my lap.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

my cat is norris posted:

I'm sorry, Robot. I hope she can at least be made comfortable again.

Thank you, Norris. I appreciate it. I have some semi-good news to report.

Once we had her on the blood pressure meds, her eyes began to dilate again. She can now track you when you move and today her vision seemed even better. She went outside in the yard and walked around, and in one heartbreaking moment, lifted her nose to smell the fall breeze. I started the heart meds yesterday, so now the big challenge is for her to get some weight back on. She seems more like herself than she has in weeks--the same calm, happy cat I've known for close to ten years.

It's day by day, but today was a good day.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That's wonderful! :unsmith:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Khan had a dental done yesterday to remove a troublesome molar. She tolerated the sedation well and bounced back almost immediately once we got home but suddenly has a vendetta against all water. She stands in her water dish and splashes the water out until its empty.

She has spent all day doing this. Looking for water to spill. All day.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I cancelled nomnomnow after 2 months. The food quality seemed really good. They loved the fish one much more than the chicken one. But the main issue I had is that the packaging was wildly inconsistent. The main draw for me was the supposed custom portions based on the survey, but I found absolutely no difference in the deliveries based on the activity levels I provided. And there was so much variation from one packet to the next. Like the bags are supposed to be 70g but I've had some as low as 50g and some were stuffed over 110g. Since I was getting food for two cats I was able to mix and match and weigh them out more evenly but if it was just one cat there would be a lot of calorie fluctuation from one day to the next. So I'm just thinking if this core point of the product is being neglected what other kinds of stuff is going on with that food.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Dienes posted:

Khan had a dental done yesterday to remove a troublesome molar. She tolerated the sedation well and bounced back almost immediately once we got home but suddenly has a vendetta against all water. She stands in her water dish and splashes the water out until its empty.

She has spent all day doing this. Looking for water to spill. All day.

Get a big plastic bin and fill it with water (only like 1/4) make her a swimming pool. Film results.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Idiot cat ate 2.5 feet of yo-yo string. Spent $450 at the emergency hospital trying to get him to throw up (which apparently included the vet spinning him in a chair to make him dizzy) to no avail. Now I get to watch his turds for the next two days :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

illcendiary posted:

Idiot cat ate 2.5 feet of yo-yo string. Spent $450 at the emergency hospital trying to get him to throw up (which apparently included the vet spinning him in a chair to make him dizzy) to no avail. Now I get to watch his turds for the next two days :mad:

I feel you. My cat ate a dang mouse toy, and I had to take him to the emergency vet to get him to throw up too. The mouse toy had a metal hook on it, but thankfully they got him to throw up on the second dose of meds.