Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Fucccccckkkkkkk that’s good. Thou is loving killing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I can't handle the vocals.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Laserface posted:

Me neither. It’s just the same drat thing all the time, I don’t get it.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
smdh couple of noobs ^^

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

🤷🏽‍♂️ it’s boring

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Snowy posted:

Me neither. It’s just the same drat thing all the time, I don’t get it.

It’s a good thing

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I love Bryan’s vocals, but seems like a lot of people don’t like the growls on that cover. :iiam:

Anyway rest of the album is here, i’m enjoying what has been released so far. AiC was one of the bands that lead me into metal.

https://reduxrecords.bandcamp.com/album/dirt-redux

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
When it comes to Thou I like their albums, and I enjoyed the first few covers I heard. However at this point after hearing an entire album of nirvana covers among tons of other covers I think I'm just a bit oversaturated, and don't feel the need to hear his voice over every song by other bands.

That being said I loving WISH i had been at the Thou/Emma Ruth Rundle misfits cover set at the skatepark at roadburn.

Anyway...

Just noticed this in the OP

quote:

Melvins - Houdini - I... don't think I can quite explain The Melvins

Man I loving love Melvins. Pretty sure I've made that known since I began posting in this thread, but it never hurts to say it again. One of my all time favorite bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgUMnLnRTi4

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Evil Bob posted:

Man I loving love Melvins. Pretty sure I've made that known since I began posting in this thread, but it never hurts to say it again. One of my all time favorite bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgUMnLnRTi4

I haven’t listened to anything of theirs that’s come out in the last 15 years or so but I still consider them one of my all time favorites even if Buzz is turning out to be a dick.

I dragged a friend to this show at cbgbs 30 years ago because of all the things I had read about them in MRR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2etSqqzJSbw

Turns out it was a full bullhead set but I didn’t know any particular songs at the time.

I was tripping on some green windowpane acid and the whole thing was revelatory. Now I feel like I already mentioned this here before but gently caress it.

After the show I had to tell the band how blown away I was so I pour my heart out to the bass player who finally says “thanks but I’m only in the band for this tour” :v:

Then I leaned against the rotting wall which bowed in, and combined with the acid I felt like I was falling through the wall. I think while I was bugging at that the dude snuck off.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Laserface posted:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

nerve posted:

smdh couple of noobs ^^

I appreciate it's a skill but I don't like it. I also don't have to like it.

Most metal bands would be better off without their vocalist.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Snowy posted:

I still consider them one of my all time favorites even if Buzz is turning out to be a dick.

Wait, what?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

im_sorry posted:

Wait, what?

Look up his appearance on the Gavin McInnes show. Yeah, the Proud Boys guy.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Snowy posted:

Look up his appearance on the Gavin McInnes show. Yeah, the Proud Boys guy.

GODDAMMIT!!! Well, I hope Dale is still decent....

I just found this article: https://www.metalsucks.net/2020/08/...-gavin-mcinnes/

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Woof, that article makes him seem like an even bigger douchebag.

The whole "the totenkopf is just a skull u guys" thing is really infuriating.

quote:

There’s no swastikas, there’s nothing like that on there, there’s nothing promoting [Nazism]. It’s just a skull. That’s it. If people wanna associate that with Nazism, every skull could be. I like skull imagery. I like all that stuff. It doesn’t scare me.

And then the fact that I’m a Jew anyway, even if that was the angle we were going through, ironic and weird… that’s a part of our whole deal. We’re a band called the Melvins. [laughs] It’s like, C’MON, y’know? We’re not called Satanic Death. We’re the Melvins. That’s by design. We wanna make you think. We don’t sound like what our name sounds like. That’s on purpose.

Am I misreading this or is he basically saying "we called ourselves the Melvins because it sounds like a Jewish name, and because we don't like it"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Buzz has always been a libertarian douchebag

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Am I misreading this or is he basically saying "we called ourselves the Melvins because it sounds like a Jewish name, and because we don't like it"

I think he means it is a silly-sounding, inconspicuous name rather than something that is more controversial.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

i believe they're named after one of Buzz's bosses who nobody liked, his name was Melvin

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That's fair. Enough bad stuff in that interview that I don't need to try to pull other threads.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Snowy posted:

I haven’t listened to anything of theirs that’s come out in the last 15 years or so but I still consider them one of my all time favorites even if Buzz is turning out to be a dick.

I dragged a friend to this show at cbgbs 30 years ago because of all the things I had read about them in MRR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2etSqqzJSbw

Turns out it was a full bullhead set but I didn’t know any particular songs at the time.

I was tripping on some green windowpane acid and the whole thing was revelatory. Now I feel like I already mentioned this here before but gently caress it.

After the show I had to tell the band how blown away I was so I pour my heart out to the bass player who finally says “thanks but I’m only in the band for this tour” :v:

Then I leaned against the rotting wall which bowed in, and combined with the acid I felt like I was falling through the wall. I think while I was bugging at that the dude snuck off.

Sounds like a hell of a time. Of course I'll always be most fond of early melvins, but I've found great appreciation for the (death) side of a walk with love and death. Nude with Boots is my easy favorite of their later catalogue.

And yeah, buzz... he's definitely wired differently. I mean poo poo he literally goes by "King"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gluey Porch Treatments was the best sludge since side B of My War when it came out

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I saw Melvins a few years back in London on the same bill as Yob, Sleep, Slayer and Wolves in the Throne Room.

It was a loving incredible gig, Melvins had two drummers.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I saw them co-headline with Napalm Death in 2016 and really wonder how Buzz got along with them.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

They put on one hell of a show, wicked tight live act. Also they didnt do an encore which I always appreciate. Why you gotta go off stage to come back and play another song. JUST PLAY THE WHOLE SET AND GET OFF

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Saw them at GAMH in SF in '11 or '12 with 2 drummers, that was a fully epic show. Last time I saw them was with 2 bassists, and that was definitely not as cool as 2 drummers, and to be honest I just found the sound too muddy with 2 bass players live. Still rocked though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Evil Bob posted:

Saw them at GAMH in SF in '11 or '12 with 2 drummers, that was a fully epic show. Last time I saw them was with 2 bassists, and that was definitely not as cool as 2 drummers, and to be honest I just found the sound too muddy with 2 bass players live. Still rocked though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN42uzNFVmQ

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

I'm so triggered right now.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
I have a question and I trust goons to answer to the best of their ability. Is mephistofeles nazis? I like a lot of south american doom like Arteaga and Las Historias. Apparently their was some something going on with I'm heroin. I've just found a lot of different things. Their lead singer did a song with Devil's Witches and like, 90 percent of their work is about female empowerment. Just seems weird to me.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Henchman of Santa posted:

I saw them co-headline with Napalm Death in 2016 and really wonder how Buzz got along with them.

I wonder how they got along with Jello Biafra when they were the Jelvins.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

unknown butthole posted:

I have a question and I trust goons to answer to the best of their ability. Is mephistofeles nazis? I like a lot of south american doom like Arteaga and Las Historias. Apparently their was some something going on with I'm heroin. I've just found a lot of different things. Their lead singer did a song with Devil's Witches and like, 90 percent of their work is about female empowerment. Just seems weird to me.

the only Nazi related things I could find about them a few months back was the imagery on a couple album covers. and just being Argentinian.

im thinking they used the imagery for ~shock value~. they seem to have switched from nazi shock to sex and satan shock

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Buzz's biggest sin is playing in a doom band using solid state amps

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

im_sorry posted:

GODDAMMIT!!! Well, I hope Dale is still decent....

I just found this article: https://www.metalsucks.net/2020/08/...-gavin-mcinnes/

BUZZ NO

why do i always read the comments? they're always bad. why do i do that? :doh:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Eat The Rich posted:

BUZZ NO

why do i always read the comments? they're always bad. why do i do that? :doh:

metalsucks is legendary for attracting the worst of the douchebag "OMG SJWS RUINING METAL" crowd, not sure why.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

metalsucks is legendary for attracting the worst of the douchebag "OMG SJWS RUINING METAL" crowd, not sure why.

thats just a large percentage of metal fans in general, unfortunately

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

unknown butthole posted:

there really aren't many nazis in doom metal(I can't actually think of any off the top of my head), and nothing about this band looks particularly objectionable.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Might be too metal-doom, but, If you have never heard this, you need to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-gRJ-fHDjI

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 19, 2020

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

im_sorry posted:

I wonder how they got along with Jello Biafra when they were the Jelvins.

Buzz addressed this and said that he wasn't into Jello's politics but he couldn't resist collaborating and they otherwise got along

(The 1.5 albums were great)

Henchman of Santa posted:

I also attended this tour. Fabulous.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

A Grand Egg posted:

Might be too metal-doom, but, If you have never heard this, you need to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-gRJ-fHDjI

Disembowelment ftw.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on

A human heart posted:

there really aren't many nazis in doom metal(I can't actually think of any off the top of my head), and nothing about this band looks particularly objectionable.

I mean, thats what I figured. I think I saw a youtube comment saying something about their label also producing a band with SS in their name or something. It was really bumming me out cos' Their first album I really liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I realized Buzz was a dick a while back in some spoken word thing where he was talking about how shortly after Kurt Cobian killed himself, one of them was wearing a shirt that made a joke about it, and krist novoselic saw it and stormed off. But he was telling it like it was some super funny joke, and it was hilarious how they owned krist, who afaik was a friend of theirs. It was so tone deaf and you could tell the audience was just like ,"uhhhh...ok"

it was also like the worst spoken word I have ever seen. He basically just did nothing but name drop the entire time.