Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It really is insane how cheap a hobby gaming is if you let yourself fall a few years behind on AAA releases. I pick up a ton of fantastic games for $5-$20 apiece.

:10bux: for The Witcher 3 was a hell of a bargain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The version of Persona 5 that's in the new sale today is the old version with all the DLC package, not Royal, thought I'd mention just in case.

Even if I plan on getting a physical copy I'll give it a look, thanks!

Edit: what's the difference between the Ultimate edition (old release+DLC) and Royal?

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 16, 2020

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
If I remember right the dlc for the original is just additional personas and maybe some items/costumes? Royal adds some new quality of life features to the game plus more story to the plot through a new character and time to end point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guillermus posted:

Even if I plan on getting a physical copy I'll give it a look, thanks!

Edit: what's the difference between the Ultimate edition (old release+DLC) and Royal?

Royal adds a ton of new content for if 100 hours just isn't enough

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Considering my huge backlog I don't think I need more content on top of a 100h game that will have a single playthrough unless it blows my mind like soulsborne games (I have well over 1500h on them between PC/Xbox360/PS4).

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Having played both you absolutely want to wait and grab Royal over the base edition. Lots of QoL changes and things that make the experience much more enjoyable.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PS5 Digital $399US
PS5 Discital $499US

Releases Thursday November 12th

PS5 owners with PS+ will get access to the following PS4 games for download at the PS5's launch for free, I believe in a Gamepass-style system (I think I caught them all from the trailer):

Batman Arkham Knight
Battlefield 1
Bloodborne
Days Gone
Detroit Become Human
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy XV
God of War
Infamous Second Son
The Last Guardian
The Last of Us Remastered
Monster Hunter World
Mortal Kombat X
Persona 5
Ratchet & Clank
Resident Evil VII
Uncharted 4
Until Dawn

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I wasted so much money on ps4 :smith:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I just realized Amazon Tony is no more. He was giving out game codes on PS4 launch night. Bummer.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

jabro posted:

I just realized Amazon Tony is no more. He was giving out game codes on PS4 launch night. Bummer.

Thanks to him, I got injustice and knack. I think I got my money's worth out of those games.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Real hurthling! posted:

I only consider it wasted money when I spend money on games that get heavily discounted before I get around to really playing them. Like there's been some surprisingly steep discounts on Spider-Man, but I'm pretty sure I beat it before the first time it was on sale and it didn't feel like a short game.

Outer Worlds however...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Confirmed launch day PS5 games

Astro Playroom (pre-loaded onto PS5s and free) - True PS5 exclusive
Demon's Souls ($70US) - True PS5 exclusive (the slide suggesting it was coming to PCs/other consoles was an error)
Destruction All-Stars ($70US) - True PS5 exclusive
Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition ($40US) - Multiplat
Fortnite (F2P) - Multiplat
Sackboy: A Big Adventure ($60US) - will have a PS4 version
Spider-Man: Miles Morales ($50US for Standard, $70US for Ultimate which includes a voucher to download a PS5 version of Spider-Man), will have a PS4 version that upgrades free to the PS5 version

On the multi-gen side I'd expect these games as likely launch month titles:

Assassin's Creed Valhalla ($60US)
Call of Duty Black Ops: Cold War ($70US)
FIFA 21 ($60US)
Just Dance 2021 ($50US) (the power of the PS5!)
Madden 21 ($60US)
NBA 2K21 ($70US)
Warframe (F2P)
Watch Dogs Legion ($60US)
Yakuza: Like A Dragon ($60US)

univbee fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 17, 2020

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what is destruction all stars

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Super No Vacancy posted:

what is destruction all stars

Its a demo derby multiplayer game. Like rocket league but instead of soccer you try to wreck cars so they need to bail and then run each other over

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

univbee u forgot DMC

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wait do i get dmc5 se with my sub or just regular dmc5

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

univbee u forgot DMC

poo poo I did, I was thinking about it too.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

This is why I got the PS5 with the disc drive. If a game goes free on PS+ I can just sell my physical copy.

It's not perfect since that assumes I'll have PS+ forever, but at least you can now buy games you've redeemed when they're discounted to almost nothing.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Real hurthling! posted:

Wait do i get dmc5 se with my sub or just regular dmc5

Regular PS4 version I'm guessing.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Real hurthling! posted:

Its a demo derby multiplayer game. Like rocket league but instead of soccer you try to wreck cars so they need to bail and then run each other over

Funnily enough, that's the type of game Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars (PS3 precursor to Rocket League) was going to be like that before someone added a ball as an idea for a fun gametype.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

univbee posted:

PS5 owners with PS+ will get access to the following PS4 games for download at the PS5's launch for free, I believe in a Gamepass-style system (I think I caught them all from the trailer):

Batman Arkham Knight
Battlefield 1
Bloodborne
Days Gone
Detroit Become Human
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy XV
God of War
Infamous Second Son
The Last Guardian
The Last of Us Remastered
Monster Hunter World
Mortal Kombat X
Persona 5
Ratchet & Clank
Resident Evil VII
Uncharted 4
Until Dawn
Is this a thing a thing that’s been said to be limited time or they just kind of put it out there? Like, you activate your PS5 to your account and the PS4 games get added to your PSN library/account, is how I imagine this working.

I only ask because I wasn’t going to buy right on launch, probably before end of 2020 though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

From what we can tells its not timed but if you are worried you can probably sub and claim them im november im guessing

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It has to be timed, there's zero chance Bethesda put their game in something like that in perpetuity. For reference they never last that long in GamePass, from what I remember anyway.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Akuma posted:

It has to be timed, there's zero chance Bethesda put their game in something like that in perpetuity. For reference they never last that long in GamePass, from what I remember anyway.

bethesda has a ton of stuff on psnow with no expiration. they're one of the most supportive third party publishers of the platform

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Thanks, I’ll just keep an eye on the promo over the next couple months in case the terms become more clear. Wouldn’t be the end of the world if I missed it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uptime Sinclair posted:

Thanks, I’ll just keep an eye on the promo over the next couple months in case the terms become more clear. Wouldn’t be the end of the world if I missed it.

For what it's worth PS Now is extremely up-front about when games leave the service, and I think if this ever becomes time-limited or games leave the service it's something that would be announced reasonably ahead of time.

While this hasn't been confirmed so take it with a grain of salt, my expectation is it will work like this:

- There will probably be a "PS Plus Collection" app on PS5, or a section of the store, something like that.
- As long as you have PS+, games can be downloaded through this onto your PS5, and they'll be playable as long as you have an active PS+ subscription. This will probably be "policed" the same way PS Now games are currently, where when you download a game it gives it to you for 14 days (or less if your service expires earlier) but regularly refreshes this back to 14 days when your console is connected to PSN (i.e. this won't be a problem unless you specifically lose internet connectivity for more than 2 weeks). I'm assuming this license is some new license category that doesn't work on a PS4, and won't really work the same way as on PS3/PS4 where downloading games this way "adds" them to your library.

Given the kind of offering it is, I can see it being somewhat of a fixed library without any real changes to it, although maybe we'll be blessed with a few bonuses. I actually own every game in that bundle as-is (RE7 is the only one I don't currently own digitally).

Speaking of PS Now that issue I was having with old games still being unpurchaseable seems to have resolved itself now. So while you might be locked out of those purchases for a week or two after resubscribing it should correct itself and then you're all good. Finally, if I can ever be bothered, I can permanently own the Atari Flashback Collection or Hotel Transylvania 3.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Has anyone here actually had a purchased game removed from their account? That seems to be one of the decision points of the PS5 physical vs. digital debate, but it seems extremely rare and due to publishing rights, not DRM-related issues.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Has anyone here actually had a purchased game removed from their account? That seems to be one of the decision points of the PS5 physical vs. digital debate, but it seems extremely rare and due to publishing rights, not DRM-related issues.

Sony actually has a really hard time removing stuff from PSN accounts and are pretty limited with the avenues they can take to accomplish this a lot of the time, if not for technology reasons for "we don't want to get our poo poo kicked in by a consumer rights board again" reasons. Hell, when they accidentally gave away Knack 2 on release date in most territories east of North America, they never revoked it I don't think, or reprimanded any account that claimed it.

I'm not sure what happens if you get banned, though, that could be an issue. I know Steam sidestepped this so the most extreme ban an account can receive is basically "all Steam-specific online interactions are blocked and you can't buy new games but you can still run your existing games".

The bigger risk generally is if you want to buy something that isn't available anymore digitally (e.g. on PS4 this would include stuff like the Godzilla game, any Just Dance prior to 2020, Transformers: Devastation and some other titles), but in all those cases if you bought the game before it was de-listed you're still good. P.T. was the only time they went extreme enough to nuke the distribution files from the download data servers, and that was a freebie for everybody so an entirely different situation legally.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

To be fair, they did disable access to that one sci fi rhythm game or whatever it was that was mistakenly listed for free, so they do have that ability at least.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The only thing that has me hesitant to go 100% digital is getting physical copies on insane discounts either as clearance items or due to pricing errors. BestBuy has price matched all sorts of dubious online listings over the years getting me big discounts on a number of games. But they’ve started to tighten up on that and the number of physical games I buy has decreased each year.

In Canada it’s $499 CAD vs $629 CAD for a disc drive. $130 feels like a lot for just the option of maybe buying physical games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

To be fair, they did disable access to that one sci fi rhythm game or whatever it was that was mistakenly listed for free, so they do have that ability at least.

They have done this but seem bizarrely limited in the ways they can do this. They also did this with Yakuza 6 when the demo releases 2 months pre-release turned out to be the full game.

I think the problem with Knack 2 was they couldn't revoke it without also revoking the licenses of those who paid for their pre-orders. They can only do it if they can safely nuke it for everybody.

That may change, of course. On the Xbox side they've had a few accidents where people got stuff for free/impossibly cheap or got stuff that they shouldn't have been able to (e.g. a few games accidentally got relisted a month or so ago including stuff like Deadly Premonition in North America). They worked for a while but then they were able to revoke the licenses, refund the buyers and also give them an extra $5 or $10 in their Xbox wallets as an apology.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BGrifter posted:

The only thing that has me hesitant to go 100% digital is getting physical copies on insane discounts either as clearance items or due to pricing errors. BestBuy has price matched all sorts of dubious online listings over the years getting me big discounts on a number of games. But they’ve started to tighten up on that and the number of physical games I buy has decreased each year.

In Canada it’s $499 CAD vs $629 CAD for a disc drive. $130 feels like a lot for just the option of maybe buying physical games.

based on your purchasing history do you think you are likely to save at least $130 over the lifetime of your console, that seems like the simplest way to approach it

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

rabidsquid posted:

based on your purchasing history do you think you are likely to save at least $130 over the lifetime of your console, that seems like the simplest way to approach it

Yeah that was my thought process and given the way things have been trending in recent years I don’t think so. Five years ago probably but deals on physical discs seem to be getting rarer and deals on PSN more plentiful.

Plus I never actually sell the physical games I have after finishing them so that’s a non-factor.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

So ps+ got its value add but ps now is actually looking diminished since the best netflix for games on psn just became ps+

They still gotta show us the ui and describe the system features so there is certainly still hope of a reformation of ps now to be revealed for instance if they wanted the ps+ announcement to stand on its own for some reason.

Odds? Wishlist?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

So ps+ got its value add but ps now is actually looking diminished since the best netflix for games on psn just became ps+

They still gotta show us the ui and describe the system features so there is certainly still hope of a reformation of ps now to be revealed for instance if they wanted the ps+ announcement to stand on its own for some reason.

Odds? Wishlist?

I don't think there's any basis for it but I saw a tweet mentioning expansion of PS Now's back catalog (e.g. including PS1 games).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Taiko no Tatsujin is $10, an 80% discount

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is the store (EU) hosed for anyone else? I can't buy anything without it giving me the "We've encountered an error while processing your order. Please try again later." error. At least they're being specific.

E: Can't add funds to the wallet either without getting some vague error.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I think the answer to that has always been "who knows?". the store didn't accept my payment method for like a year one time, so I had to buy PSN cards and use those. now it works again.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, I've had it before too for some unknown reason but it just started happening suddenly and I wondered if anyone else was having problems too if it was just the store being broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PSN has been hosed since yesterday though I heard it was mostly back now