Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I love that Newegg shows both "add to cart" and "temporarily out of stock" for MSI Ventus at the same time

Quantum computing sure made a big leap forward eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I am now using an auto-refresh extension :shepicide:

This is so ridiculous...

Ezane
Sep 27, 2016
It really sucks that I'm going to be at work when these go on sale. I can't F5 properly on a phone! I'm hoping it works out anyway.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'd totally believe Micro Center got hosed on distribution. They are not nationwide like Best Buy nor as high volume as Amazon.

Best Buy told me yesterday "don't even bother, the bunch we're getting are all spoken for by employees"

Good for them

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Ezane posted:

It really sucks that I'm going to be at work when these go on sale. I can't F5 properly on a phone! I'm hoping it works out anyway.

Sure you can. Just log into the shop of your choice, leave the product page/wishlist entry tab open and simply refresh on the hour. Most online shops save your details including payment info so it's just a couple of clicks. I got a 1080ti at launch via my phone this way

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
lol I forgot my September 4th $1,287.08 RTX 3080 is still on Amazon. If they miraculously actually charge and ship that I guess I could try to argue a price match later? Hasn't budged though, still says "Not Yet Shipped"

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'd totally believe Micro Center got hosed on distribution. They are not nationwide like Best Buy nor as high volume as Amazon.

i've never heard of microcenter in my loving life idk what y'all have been talking about

anyways going to sleep now, alarms set for 4:55am, see you goons in the morning

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Lol, EK has already replaced their waterblock with a totally new design. Compatibility list is up and it's basically just gainward and palit. They also launched a Strix one which might be the only option for some markets, shame the Strix is stupid overpriced.

new
old

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zero VGS posted:

Best Buy told me yesterday "don't even bother, the bunch we're getting are all spoken for by employees"

Good for them

I mean if it's in that particular store sure but I'd doubt the majority of the online inventory would be spoken for.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Good for them

For what it's worth, when I worked retail if we tried that it would be an automatic termination.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
When I worked at BestBuy one of the managers set aside one of the two Kylo Run lightsabers we got for themselves.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Midnight EST has come and past and nothing's changed on Best Buy's website. Looks like they really will be sticking to the 9 AM EST time.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Oh I bet it's absolutely happening and won't be punished (really working retail is punishing enough, just let em have it) I just figured I'd throw that out there

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

OhFunny posted:

When I worked at BestBuy one of the managers set aside one of the two Kylo Run lightsabers we got for themselves.

Hrm. I wonder if my employees would be effective in helping me snag a card....

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

OhFunny posted:

Get yourself some imo, if you have to work at best buy you deserve at least that much.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

axeil posted:

Midnight EST has come and past and nothing's changed on Best Buy's website. Looks like they really will be sticking to the 9 AM EST time.

I thought it was 12 central.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

krursk posted:

Hrm. I wonder if my employees would be effective in helping me snag a card....

You'd be amazed what the promise of $50-100 might do.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You'd be amazed what the promise of $50-100 might do.

Hilariously I just checked with them and they all want a 3080 for themselves.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
working retail in this 2020 hell year? More power to them

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
yeah i mean, working retail is a lovely, lovely job with no benefits. i really don't begrudge them getting early access to consumer electronics as one of, if not the only, benefit(s) of said job.

we'll all get a card eventually, even if it takes a year.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I worked stocking a retail store once and even that was awful. Imagine having to deal with CUSTOMERS.

And for that lovely pay. And this year, too.

But oh boy howdy if I have to wait an extra few days or weeks for a toy, I'm going to be mad!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

axeil posted:

yeah i mean, working retail is a lovely, lovely job with no benefits. i really don't begrudge them getting early access to consumer electronics as one of, if not the only, benefit(s) of said job.

we'll all get a card eventually, even if it takes a year.

You think the earth will still be here in a year? Seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 17, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I cannot hear about retail without thinking of this horrifying video game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMJeXvDnxbA

It's ruined my life, please don't click that

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

DrDork posted:

What was your expectation, that double the RT performance at 1/2 the price is "nothing impressive"? That's a 400% improvement for your dollar.

Well, the 2080 was made fun of, because it was like 5 % faster than the 1080Ti, so the comparison of the 3080 vs 2080 means a compairsion vs a spring 2017 performance that we already had with the 1080Ti RTX off.

The fastest card was the 2080Ti, and the fastest Ampere card will be the 3090 for even more money.

So if you ask about expectations, I guess there was hoping that the 3080 would overcompensate the lack of performance improvement that we had in Turing and punch above it's weight in RTX on and off power.
It does not.

And it might be a save skip for 2080Ti owners like Turing was for 1080Ti owners.

I am curious how the custom 3080s will perform and if we get some more fps here.

But it seems the only serious performance upgrade for 2080Ti owners will be the 3090. And /or maybe a 3080Ti next year.

Other than that, the 3080 obviously is a no brainer buy for Pascal owners and everyone below a 2080Ti, so it's just that small group that might wait.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 17, 2020

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

welp, so much for midnight cst

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wiltsghost posted:

welp, so much for midnight cst

Yeah, funny how much slower refreshing got between 12:59:59 and 1:01:00. >.>

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I work at Best Buy corporate and wish I knew how to secure a GPU, PS5, and VR.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

This is probably a dumb question as it's not truly like for like, but since it seems a lot of the performance improvement is tied up in the TDP bump going from a 2080-->3080, have any reviews done a test where they take the 3080 down to 2080 TDP levels to get an approximate idea of "IPC"-ish increase? Is that even possible using MSI AB or whatever?

I'm mostly curious trying to predict what kind of increase a laptop 3080 is going to have over a laptop 2080 when they're both capped at 150w, or for the Max-Q variants, 90w.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

This is probably a dumb question as it's not truly like for like, but since it seems a lot of the performance improvement is tied up in the TDP bump going from a 2080-->3080, have any reviews done a test where they take the 3080 down to 2080 TDP levels to get an approximate idea of "IPC"-ish increase? Is that even possible using MSI AB or whatever?

I'm mostly curious trying to predict what kind of increase a laptop 3080 is going to have over a laptop 2080 when they're both capped at 150w, or for the Max-Q variants, 90w.

Hardware Unboxed did. It is significantly more efficient perf/watt, but also getting more watts. Both are true.

Bodes well for some new MaxQ stuff.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Just FYI PS5 preorders seem to be working at best buy, just grabbed a disc version. If you happen to care about getting one preordered asap.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The EVGA and Gigabtye cards on Best Buy just got dropped $30 to match the FE's $699.99 price.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Reminder that the 3080 Black doesn’t have a backplate. Think I would probably pass on that one unless the FEs aren’t available.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
The MSI Ventus is listed at $696 on newegg and B&H. Is it normal for AIB to match FE models for price? Wonder if they think perhaps the FE is actually a competitor this time around

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Caseking still has most of the AIBs listed at anywhere between 50-200 more expensive than an FE, though there's a disclaimer on every product page about the prices not being final. Is that normal?

The only one that they have matching the FE's price so far is the Gigabyte Eagle. Guess at 3pm CEST I'm gonna try for an FE in one browser window, and a Gigabyte Eagle or XVGA XC3 Black (fifty Euros more) in another window?

Literally know nothing about the difference in AIB manufacturers and their product lines so I'm mostly just looking at price and "oh, people in the thread sure do mention the names Gigabyte and XVGA a lot, they must be decent."

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 17, 2020

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Cygni posted:

Reminder that the 3080 Black doesn’t have a backplate. Think I would probably pass on that one unless the FEs aren’t available.

Nothing a wooden dowel can't fix.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Dial M for MURDER posted:

The MSI Ventus is listed at $696 on newegg and B&H. Is it normal for AIB to match FE models for price? Wonder if they think perhaps the FE is actually a competitor this time around

FE has amazing aesthetics, fans off at idle this time around, same 3 year warranty as most other cards, lowest price, and along with the EVGA XC3, it's the ONLY true 2-slot GPU (i.e. 2 slots and 4.4 inches height), and the best PCB for water cooling.

If they can churn out as many as everyone else, they deserve to sell the most of them (and piss off all partners lol)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Zero VGS posted:

FE has amazing aesthetics, fans off at idle this time around, same 3 year warranty as most other cards, lowest price, and along with the EVGA XC3, it's the ONLY true 2-slot GPU (i.e. 2 slots and 4.4 inches height), and the best PCB for water cooling.

If they can churn out as many as everyone else, they deserve to sell the most of them (and piss off all partners lol)

It also offers very limited overclocking headroom and we don't yet know how the acoustics compare to AIB cards.

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

Incessant Excess posted:

It also offers very limited overclocking headroom and we don't yet know how the acoustics compare to AIB cards.

Aren't all of them going to have very limited overclocking headroom given the stock power consumption?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

Putting an embargo on AIB reviews until the exact moment your cards go on sale is pretty suspicious...

That said, the FE looks like a good design and they seem to have already pushed power about as far as is reasonable. I'm very curious to see what kind of gains you get from overclocking on the AIB cards and how much efficiency you lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

funroll loops posted:

Aren't all of them going to have very limited overclocking headroom given the stock power consumption?

Leaks were suggesting that you could run them to 400Ws for decent uplift. Maybe 10 percent or so.