Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhh_GeBPOhs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

Hire a center

That’s it

Or maybe a real point guard

Brolander posted:

(sandlot style slow mo mouth)Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim Booooooooooylllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeennnn

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Mildly jacked, VERY juiced

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

significantly more energy than the team he owns.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i guess it doesn't matter since he is really really rich, but steve ballmer is completely loving insane

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

How do you all go about evaluating match-ups? I'm a pretty casual NBA fan, and I love watching games but I'm sure I miss a lot of subtlety. For example, what are the key player vs. player match-ups to watch in the Lakers/Nuggets series, and what advantages does each team have? Do you all read articles about this stuff, or just get a sense of it over the regular season, or is it just speculation?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DorianGravy posted:

How do you all go about evaluating match-ups? I'm a pretty casual NBA fan, and I love watching games but I'm sure I miss a lot of subtlety. For example, what are the key player vs. player match-ups to watch in the Lakers/Nuggets series, and what advantages does each team have? Do you all read articles about this stuff, or just get a sense of it over the regular season, or is it just speculation?

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1300849171067367424

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

DorianGravy posted:

Do you tune in early or watch the halftime shows? I feel like every broadcast does a decent job of going over matchups.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

lol

really one of the best tweets

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DorianGravy posted:

it’s a combination of all three; if you google “x team y team series preview” you can find all sorts of pundits; for the sake of example here’s one from cbs: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...ction-pick/amp/

occasionally you’ll also see videos of this sort of thing if that’s your bag; the ringer tends to have very slick, well researched nba video content

the most important matchups in lakers/nuggets are going to obviously be jokic and anthony davis; jokic is the #1 option for denver and he’s the straw that stirs the drink, the ice in the glass, the glass, the coaster, and the drink itself. how davis handles him (or more interestingly, if lebron guards him) will determine how the nuggets do for most of the series

the other interesting matchup is who’s guarding lebron; ordinarily it would be will barton but barton’s hurt, and michael porter jr. is an awful defender, so that’s a concern for the nuggets

finally, la’s guard depth is really lackluster, playoff rondo aside. since jamal murray is the #2 scoring threat on the nuggets, the lakers will have to come up with a rotation to keep up with him, and in the lakers’ switching scheme, lebron and ad will be asked to keep him from driving into the lane, and how effectively they do that will determine if denver’s offense can get going

it’s a lot to think about which is why people get paid to do it, but just think about :
-who are the best players on each team?
-who on the other team is going to guard those players?
-what is each team good at?
-how can each team stop the other one?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Everyone is overreacting on recency

Lockback, the loss was so bad it made Magic loving Johnson have a spicy Twitter take. I think we are on the right side of history here

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Thanks, that's great information, Declan. In general, is there a typical pattern to how defenses try to match up? Do you just stick your best defender on their best scorer, or is it often matched up by height/strength, with your big guy defending their big guy and your fast guy facing their fast guy?

I'm always tempted to watch the player with the ball, but I think I appreciate the game better when I just pick a single player to watch for a few possessions to see what they do off-ball too.

I'll try to tune in early on Friday and see what they have to say about the game.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
(random D thoughts I'd wanna know if I were just starting to get into NBA beyond casually)

A big part of considering your defensive strategy, especially when it comes to high level competition like the playoffs, is deciding what you are willing to live with. Pack the paint to discourage slashing and driving and open yourself up to a 3 point barrage. Double team a major scoring threat, and one of the other 4 guys might kill you (especially if you have one of the best passers in the league like Jokic as the target of these double teams). There's also trying hide a smaller, poor individual defender (like some Point Guards) vs. the offensive team trying to exploit that poor defender, usually orchestrated through a series of screens to get the "Switch" you want. (switching is literally switching defensive assignments when a screen is made rather than trying to go around or through it)

In general, great offense will trump great defense. Some dudes just make shots, even if you guard them essentially perfectly (short of trying to literally block every shot which will end with you fouling out, an exhausted fool). There's also the little problem of a passed ball moving faster than people do- a team with good ball movement can just annihilate you if you're not fluid and adaptive, and sometimes even if you are. Anticipation, knowing your rotations and responsibilities, commitment to the defensive philosophy, and being able to do lateral slides perfectly at 100 mph are your defensive weapons.

Brolander fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 17, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Re: matchups, I would be completely shocked if they didn't use Lebron on Jokic.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

euphronius posted:

Hire a center

That’s it

Specifically Boban because apparently everyone loves him and he will heal all chemistry problems on the Clippers.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Apparently Doc has blown a 3-1 lead in the Bush, Obama, and Trump administrations

If Biden wins in October you know his rear end is canned

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Going on to ESPN and their main story is "Maya Moore and Jonathan Irons are married... does that diminish her sacrifice?"

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The article says no but why even put it like that.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Going on to ESPN and their main story is "Maya Moore and Jonathan Irons are married... does that diminish her sacrifice?"

Based on the actual content of the article (which is a journalist who's covered the story extensively writing "No, of course not, she did an insanely good and brave thing"), someone did a real disservice by giving that article that headline and placement

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Keep in mind defenses aren't like nfl, players will switch a lot and assignments get jumbled in transition. In general most defense in the nba happens away from the ball. How a team collapses the paint, how it rotates to the corner, how it reacts to screens, these are more important than who is covering someone on the perimeter.

We typically like to boil it down to man vs man, but nba players can reliably beat 1 on 1 coverage.

For the Lakers vs Denver, I think (and I could be wrong) LA had been more comfortable big, mostly due to their lack of guards. I think Jokic and Millsap will let them play McGee and Davis more, which I think they are just more comfortable with. Of course you have LeBron who can play anything, so they can be flexible. I think purely from a matchup perspective, Denver is at a disadvantage there.

The nice thing is Denver seems way more comfortable with their team and the Lakers are still kinda working Rondo back in. So we'll see.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I'm willing to predict that the Lakers mostly go with Davis at the 5. If you're defending the Murray-Jokic PNR and switch the screen, then you could either have [wing defender]/Davis, with Davis switched on to Murray, or you could have McGee or Howard trying to guard him on the perimeter. I'd imagine that they'd way rather have Davis out there than either of their actual centers.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Yeah they will try to keep McGee off Jokic as much as possible because he will absolutely torch him. Davis guards him very well, however.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
McGee only offers rim protection, he is a complete liability on the perimeter and is horrible in properly executing defensive rotations. Jokic's passing will carve up his frequently blown coverages.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If I remember correctly Denver was a team that the Lakers mostly went with Kuzma with even when they were much more stubbornly sticking to big ball (circa two weeks ago).

E: Checking the box scores of the game that is accurate except for one game where Dwight played 30 minutes and had a really good game so who knows.

Rick fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 17, 2020

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Lockback posted:

Last year's Clipper's team won 48 games and had a rookie SGA and a bunch of spare parts, that is NOT underperforming at all.

Doc's been a pretty decent coach, and he gets tons out of role players. Everyone is overreacting on recency but Clippers ran into a hot Nuggets team and PG13 went really cold. While I'm not on the "Coaches don't matter" bandwagon I think people are putting WAYYY too much blame out outcomes of lost playoff series on coaches doorsteps. 15 teams are going to lose a playoff series every year.

The "they ran into a hot team" excuse carries zero weight when you're talking about a team that blew a 3-1 lead while leading by double digits in all of the losses.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Metapod, what do you know about Cade Cunningham? He gonna end up a Thunder via 5 pick package for #1. Im already hyped.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Papercut posted:

The "they ran into a hot team" excuse carries zero weight when you're talking about a team that blew a 3-1 lead while leading by double digits in all of the losses.

And that Doc has blown 3-1 THREE TIMES.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rick posted:

If I remember correctly Denver was a team that the Lakers mostly went with Kuzma with even when they were much more stubbornly sticking to big ball (circa two weeks ago).

E: Checking the box scores of the game that is accurate except for one game where Dwight played 30 minutes and had a really good game so who knows.

dwight just showing up and bullying jokic would be a hell of a thing

it feels like the lakers just signed two lotto tickets at center in javale and dwight and are just hoping one of them pays out

i’m pretty sure if the lakers just go small they’ll run them off the court though

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Miami - Denver would make me so loving happy. Please, basketball gods. Do your thing.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Presti did The Process without having a sewer team for 5 years. Impressive.

And all it took was Orlando trading the farm for Serge Ibaka

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ButtWolf posted:

Metapod, what do you know about Cade Cunningham? He gonna end up a Thunder via 5 pick package for #1. Im already hyped.

Not metapod but Cade is arguably the best prospect on earth regardless of age and would easily go number one this year if he were eligible. Not an amazing run and jump athlete but he's really strong and smooth and is an incredible playmaker at both ends for 6'7" with a shot that looks cleans and has been on a upward trajectory.

Next year looks to be a pretty strong class but he could be a borderline Zion level consensus 1 and looks like a guy who could legitimately change a franchises. You'd definitely have to package a ton of stuff to get someone to consider moving it, but if anyone has enough stuff to do it it's probably the thunder.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 17, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Davis at 5 isn’t really small

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

Not metapod but Cade is arguably the best prospect on earth regardless of age and would easily go number one this year if he were eligible. Not an amazing run and jump athlete but he's really strong and smooth and is an incredible playmaker at both ends for 6'7" with a shot that looks cleans and has been on a upward trajectory.

Next year looks to be a pretty strong class but he could be a borderline Zion level consensus 1 and looks like a guy who could legitimately change a franchises. You'd definitely have to package a ton of stuff to get someone to consider moving it, but if anyone has enough stuff to do it it's probably the thunder.

Im somewhat biased also cause he chose Okla. St. The first true blue chip guy that I can remember, so that makes me happy even if there wont be ncaab this year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ButtWolf posted:

All I know is the smart people who keep an eye in high school products all are like this guy is incredible. Really hope silver rigs the lottery so we can get him

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

ButtWolf posted:

Im somewhat biased also cause he chose Okla. St. The first true blue chip guy that I can remember, so that makes me happy even if there wont be ncaab this year.

How dare you besmirch Marcus Smart

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1306394153669013505

Sachin Gupta lives another day in Minnesota

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The article says no but why even put it like that.

Betteridge's law of headlines, if it's a question, the answer is no

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

They played 30 minutes of Javale + McGee against Portland then switched to basically none of that against Houston. I think they were just playing the matchups. And against Denver this year they played 30+ minutes of "true" centers during the regular season against Denver even with playing Davis big minutes (so it wasn't really resting AD).

I suspect they'll try keeping big which I think can work even with Davis defending Jokic a bunch, but like I said there's a few different ways they can go that would make sense.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Dwight has been good this year! The Lakers definitely will give him 20-25 minutes a game against the Nuggets. Just because they ditched their centers against Houston's unique scheme doesn't mean they have shifted philosophy totally. And anyway, I'd back Howard to do at better against Jokic than Zubac (he's actually become fairly nimble and mobile this year in his slimmed down self) and way way way better than Harrell.

Javale has sucked though and basically only gets the start for dumb 'hes our starter!' reasons. Dwight is playing all the important 3rd and 4th quarter minutes when they run with two bigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

N: https://twitter.com/mr10Xam9Xjs7/status/1306078241367744515

V: :laffo: