Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

What about:

King - Rusty
Queen - Brock
Bishop - Orpheus and Hatred
Knight - Billy and Pete
Rook - Helper and Walking Eye
Pawn - Hank and Dean

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What if it's Clue instead and you have to find out who killed the boys?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I mean, you guess one time and you're correct.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still like the implication with the pass produced HeLPers that Jonas Sr wasn't actually any better at business than Rusty is, and had the same problem with cutting corners and having zero concern for safety. (While the lawsuit's presented as frivolous and causes a moral panic that was probably just a thing you did in the 60s as a suburban WASP, that a robot specifically advertised as being able to take care of young children has choking hazard sized parts that can be easily removed is an extremely severe flaw)

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
What if the disaster with the Helpers is the reason why Jonas decided to have a child to to test his inventions.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

why do both knights bishops and rooks have a I be the same character? Several collectable sets use a pair.
Knights Shoreleave and Skypilot -Boom yummy

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

What if it's Clue instead and you have to find out who killed the boys?

Or, it's Clue, and all of the players have killed the boys who have died multiple times as a condition of the game. The trick is, you have to guess which one of the boys' deaths each particular character is responsible for.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

tarlibone posted:

Or, it's Clue, and all of the players have killed the boys who have died multiple times as a condition of the game. The trick is, you have to guess which one of the boys' deaths each particular character is responsible for.

Ah, an enigma tale.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Y'all are way off on this chess thing.

King: Jonas
Queen: Jill St. John
Knight: The Master as Catherine the Great's horse

Rusty is definitely a pawn.

Obviously the king and queen are The Monarch and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch they wear crowns for gods sake

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Is there a venture bros pen and paper rule set? This could be a fun universe to mess around in, even a derail into buying property and doing home repair would be very on brand.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There should be three chess sets and you can play against whichever you like.

Team Venture
King: Doc
Queen: Brock
Bishops: Orpheus & Alchemist
Rooks: Col. Gentleman and Action Man
Knights: Jefferson & Hatred
Pawns: Hank/Dean/Billy/Pete/Kano/Rose/Dermott/HELPeR

Team GCI:
King: Monarch
Queen: 21Number 2
Bishops: Red Mantle/Dragoon Hybrid & Dr. Z
Rooks: Phantom Limb & Sheila
Knights: Red Death & Phage
Pawns: Watch, Ward & Manolo’s Crew

Team OSI
King: Treister
Queen: Gathers
Bishops: Shore Leave & Sky Pilot
Knights: Headshot & Amber Gold
Pawns: OSI footsoldiers

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
Pawns would be Monarch henchmen and zombie Venture Brothers clones.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
We need a Crusaders Action League team.

Queen: Warriorana
King: Stars & Garters
Knights: Night Dick and ?
Rooks: Fallen Archer and ?
Bishops: I don't know, Brown Widow?
Pawns: the police

Maybe make it a New York Scene Protagonist team?

Edit: maybe king and queen should be reversed. I'll change it, since S&G seems to be in charge, and W is definitely capable of going anywhere....

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 16, 2020

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

tarlibone posted:

Tragedy Looper reskin!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

Obviously the king and queen are The Monarch and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch they wear crowns for gods sake

And especially fitting given Dr. Mrs. The Monarch tends to do most of the work. (Though that's kinda inverted lately with the Monarch turning out to be quite a good black ops guy)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And especially fitting given Dr. Mrs. The Monarch tends to do most of the work. (Though that's kinda inverted lately with the Monarch turning out to be quite a good black ops guy)

The Monarch is a case of someone failing upwards through sheer force of will.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TK-42-1 posted:

The Monarch is a case of someone failing upwards through sheer force of will.

It's more a case where he's basically been in his comfort zone arching Venture for years, in something of a routine with his henchmen and equipment; take that away and you realise the guy built a pretty functional bomb in college as an art major and has such good aim with his dart guns he'll kill his own henchmen when startled. And he came up as a henchman and actually survived. Not even getting into killing five protagonists offscreen and doing a good job part-timing as a Joker.

It does a pretty good job at re-contextualising their history; much like how Brock is a top-tier agent who spent nearly 20 years on a dead-end assignment (thanks to Guild meddling), the Monarch's always had the potential to be a top tier villain but has been quite content playing in the kiddy leagues, since on paper Brock is just a single bodyguard who doesn't even carry a gun.

The EMA system is interesting, and it explains a lot about the nature of costumed antagonism. And that there's clearly a flexible system but a lot of loopholes and points of contention. (Like in the Treaty of Tolerance episode, the OSI wants two agents on even the lowest level fights while the Guild considers that overkill)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The EMA system is interesting, and it explains a lot about the nature of costumed antagonism. And that there's clearly a flexible system but a lot of loopholes and points of contention. (Like in the Treaty of Tolerance episode, the OSI wants two agents on even the lowest level fights while the Guild considers that overkill)

I love that scene. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlR3-_eB4XE

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Mr. Nice! posted:

There should be three chess sets and you can play against whichever you like.

Team Venture
King: Doc
Queen: Brock
Bishops: Orpheus & Alchemist
Rooks: Col. Gentleman and Action Man
Knights: Jefferson & Hatred
Pawns: Hank/Dean/Billy/Pete/Kano/Rose/Dermott/HELPeR

Team GCI:
King: Monarch
Queen: 21Number 2
Bishops: Red Mantle/Dragoon Hybrid & Dr. Z
Rooks: Phantom Limb & Sheila
Knights: Red Death & Phage
Pawns: Watch, Ward & Manolo’s Crew

Team OSI
King: Treister
Queen: Gathers
Bishops: Shore Leave & Sky Pilot
Knights: Headshot & Amber Gold
Pawns: OSI footsoldiers

I think you're on to something. You need a Venture vs Monarch set and a OSI vs GCI set.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Make it one of those 4 way Chess boards.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC, Turnbuckle is implied from his brief appearance to be a really lovely boxer.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

pixaal posted:

Is there a venture bros pen and paper rule set? This could be a fun universe to mess around in, even a derail into buying property and doing home repair would be very on brand.

Could probably use any Superhero system for it

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC, Turnbuckle is implied from his brief appearance to be a really lovely boxer.

Well of course, if he was any good at it he wouldn't be trying to become a villain

Also I love how pissed off Rodney is in that scene, like it's above and beyond him just doing his job or being hopped on god gas & super soldier drugs*, that's exactly the kind of furious concern we often saw Brock show when Hank & Dean were in danger in the earlier seasons of the show, if anything Turnbuckle probably got off easy before he shot his mouth off one last time and got capped for it, if Rusty had actually been hurt it probably would have been a much slower and painful death

*probably why I'm willing to give Rodney a pass on being a factor in Rusty's screwed up childhood, Super Soldier Drugs gently caress people up badly in the Venture Brothers universe and Rodney is probably really lucky that he doesn't have like Super Dementia or something from taking them

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

GigaPeon posted:

I think you're on to something. You need a Venture vs Monarch set and a OSI vs GCI set.

It's too bad we never got to know more members of the Peril Partnership.

Also, Phage as a Knight is kind of a stretch. I'd go with Killinger, even though he really just nudged the GCI back into being then ~flew away~.

And don't forget the Original Team Venture as an opposing side for Adult Doc. It'd be very on brand for him to fight against his past.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 17, 2020

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Super Soldier Drugs gently caress people up badly in the Venture Brothers universe and Rodney is probably really lucky that he doesn't have like Super Dementia or something from taking them

He did have a stroke though TOAST

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Vord posted:

He did have a stroke though TOAST

That's different, basically anyone could have one of those

Hopefully if the show does get uncancelled he'll recover from that

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

He is safe is Barbarella Coma Town

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Interesting that Hank identifies with Lando. For someone basically raised by Brock Samson, he's less interested in being macho and violent than he is in being cool and charismatic. (of course, helps that Brock is both)

And now I'm picturing for no particular reason a Venture Bros/Steven Universe crossover, the brothers would probably get along great with Steven. Brock might also get along with Garnet and Connie if he can tone down the ultraviolence for a while. Not sure what Doc would get up to, besides maybe hanging out with Greg and taking a vague interest in reverse-engineering alien technology before getting sidetracked about the all-female alien species and/or getting implicitly drunk and talking about his father that ends in crying in Greg's arms.

While the Monarch attempts to arch and ends up mostly dealing with Amethyst having way too much fun, Dr Mrs the Monarch and Pearl realise they have a lot in common, and 21 gets in some particularly obscure arguments with Ronaldo and they end up getting along great.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Interesting that Hank identifies with Lando. For someone basically raised by Brock Samson, he's less interested in being macho and violent than he is in being cool and charismatic. (of course, helps that Brock is both)
Right, Hank identifies with the suave side of Brock (and has ever since season one - "and this'll... knock em out more?" on the pirate ship or whatever it is comes to mind, he's hilariously clueless about violence)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Right, Hank identifies with the suave side of Brock (and has ever since season one - "and this'll... knock em out more?" on the pirate ship or whatever it is comes to mind, he's hilariously clueless about violence)

But Hank is also the one that knows they see dead guys all the time and Dean is the one that insists the guys were carried away in "sleeping bags" not body bags. I think Hank has some very severe mental trauma.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Show me one character that doesn’t have severe mental trauma.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Triana?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TK-42-1 posted:

Show me one character that doesn’t have severe mental trauma.

The Alchemist is pretty balanced. Shore Leave is as well. In Doc & Jackson's world, the gay people generally seem to have their poo poo together.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Orpheus doesn't seem particularly traumatized, just kind of a regular divorced dad who talks to spirits.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Orpheus knows how to have fun but also be serious when the need arises. He's the responsible one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Orpheus is a terminal drama queen but that turns out to be a pretty useful coping mechanism.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Orpheus is a terminal drama queen but that turns out to be a pretty useful coping mechanism.

Given how hard he was looking for someone to arch him, he’s into the whole protagonist/antagonist thing more than anyone besides The Monarch.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Orpheus has major issues with the manner in which his marriage fell apart. While he is a good dad, he definitely has trauma that causes him a daily struggle. This is a general theme in multiple Orpheus heavy episodes.

The Better Man is entirely about Orpheus' trauma.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Honestly other than Jonas, most of the original team Venture made out pretty well considering the poo poo they had to witness. Except Otto Aquarius who became an actual Witness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

The Alchemist is pretty balanced. Shore Leave is as well. In Doc & Jackson's world, the gay people generally seem to have their poo poo together.

Touché.

Orpheus definitely has issues with the divorce and Jefferson has the whole mom taken by blackulas. Maybe Watch and Ward? But there has to be a reason they got their eye removed to be guild agents.