Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Funky Valentine posted:

Joe has to murder an Archelomon whenever he needs Gomamon to go Ultimate.

This is why Gabumon just wears a Garurumon pelt all the time

Saves Matt some work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Burkion posted:

This is why Gabumon just wears a Garurumon pelt all the time

Saves Matt some work

I'm pretty sure at some point it was supposed to be some poor Penguinmon's.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Petiso posted:

I'm pretty sure at some point it was supposed to be some poor Penguinmon's.

What? No. It's a Garurumon pelt. It's not even the right colour to be made of Penmon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so the next question is where the brown-orange fur comes from

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nodosaur posted:

so the next question is where the brown-orange fur comes from

Still Archelomon. Like many other reptile Digimon, it has inexplicable hair on its head.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zudomon is a monster

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

Zudomon is a monster

He just uses every part of the sea turtle....except for the knife-fins.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Geostomp posted:

He just uses every part of the sea turtle....except for the knife-fins.

He used those to file down his horn.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

Zudomon is a monster

One could even say he’s a... digital monster

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Watching OG Digimon Adventure for my own reasons, decided to watch the original subbed simply for a different perspective. I feel like while it has some 90s anime dub-isms, the Digimon Adventure dub was quite good, and clearly had a lot of effort put into it, with the different musical cues and signature songs, while the original seems kinda generic in comparison. Though maybe it's just weird watching a familiar show with so many little changes.

Also, I get the impression that divorce is a much touchier topic in 90s Japan than it is for Western viewers.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, I get the impression that divorce is a much touchier topic in 90s Japan than it is for Western viewers.
I think I remember having it explained to me that in Japan there was an expectation that once a divorce happened and a family split up, that they don't really interact with each other anymore.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I didn't think much of it growing up, but that might've been because they were described as half-brothers in the dub. (That, or maybe I just didn't find it very surprising that a pair of divorced parents could be that petty, which probably says something about me.)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PMush Perfect posted:

I didn't think much of it growing up, but that might've been because they were described as half-brothers in the dub. (That, or maybe I just didn't find it very surprising that a pair of divorced parents could be that petty, which probably says something about me.)

I swear I remember them saying something like that about how Yamato and Takeru (well, Matt and T.K. since its dub) were only half brothers once really really early on (Garurumon's debut?) but then drop it and never mention it again because, well, they aren't. Half brother in English means sharing one parent instead of two, which is not the same as having divorced parents. I do wonder if that was someone getting their wires crossed in translation.

The dub of Adventure, just like the original, has its own share of weird teething troubles here and there, and it had bits that were quickly dropped. It has been ages, but I remember pretty clearly being confused in one of the later File Island episodes when the cast talk about "The land across the ocean" as though that's been established when it hadn't in the dub, on rewatch Devimon talks about it when he first shows up but that's dialogue they changed in the localization. Similarly them backpedaling on Pumpmon and Gotsumon (the dub says Myotismon's Grizzly Wing sent them back to his prison, whereas in the original Vamdemon's Night Raid just killed them) made me really confused a few episodes later as to how Wizarmon was actually killed by an attack that had never been shown as lethal before.

And back to speaking of divorces in early aughts Japanese kids anime, running next to Digimon was Ojamajo Doremi where one of the main character's parents divorced and the incident that eventually lead to that, the emotional fallout from that, and the strained relationship because of it were central to her ongoing story arc and central to some of that show's best episodes. Notably in that show, though, said character was an only child and the framing of the show put more attention on her relationship with her parents. Digimon uses Yamato and Takeru's family circumstances mostly as a way to frame their own relationship since their parents aren't on screen very often. The divorce is there and was important to the characters but it isn't the main focus for those characters.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The half brothers thing is an understandable translation issue that they probably didn't get cleared up until later. When it came around again, they made it pretty clear that they meant divorced. It's kind of like Mimi's phantom brother, or to bring up an inconsistency in the original, Mimi being poo poo at singing until she isn't later

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The dub shouldn't have invented things that "had to be cleared up later", if you ask me. Just don't touch character backgrounds or family situations beyond what the script already says. It's not that hard, poo poo like Mimi's brother only exists because they wanted to cram in a joke.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

The dub shouldn't have invented things that "had to be cleared up later", if you ask me. Just don't touch character backgrounds or family situations beyond what the script already says. It's not that hard, poo poo like Mimi's brother only exists because they wanted to cram in a joke.

But it also comes up exactly once and is then ignored.

Its not like they kept hammering it in like other shittier dubs

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just gonna leave it there. I know where continuing down this track usually gets me and I'm not itching to do it again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, they had no idea where the story was going of if they'd even see the real world again in the series, much less go that in depth with each kid's home life, so it's one of those things I can excuse.

Also Toei was absolute dogshit at getting material to Saban ahead of time, to the point where they were auditioning male dub actors for Gatomon, and it was only by the grace of god that the Angewomon debut episode aired in Japan with enough time for the dub producers to see it themselves and hastily cast a female actor for the part before Gatomon debuted in the US. The communication between Toei and Saban got better as time went on, but it was a mild miracle that the Adventure dub turned out as well as it did at times.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, they had no idea where the story was going of if they'd even see the real world again in the series, much less go that in depth with each kid's home life, so it's one of those things I can excuse.

Also Toei was absolute dogshit at getting material to Saban ahead of time, to the point where they were auditioning male dub actors for Gatomon, and it was only by the grace of god that the Angewomon debut episode aired in Japan with enough time for the dub producers to see it themselves and hastily cast a female actor for the part before Gatomon debuted in the US. The communication between Toei and Saban got better as time went on, but it was a mild miracle that the Adventure dub turned out as well as it did at times.

I believe I've heard Plotmon's dub name of "Salamon" came from someone's pet cat because nobody apparently got a picture of it and weren't told in advance the cat digimon evolves from a dog.

I've seen better dubs than Adventure, but I've also seen way worse dubs (intentionally or otherwise). If communication between Toei and Saban was that dysfunctional it's a minor miracle the dub is as good as it is.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Omnicrom posted:

I believe I've heard Plotmon's dub name of "Salamon" came from someone's pet cat because nobody apparently got a picture of it and weren't told in advance the cat digimon evolves from a dog.
In fairness "Plotmon" is about as good at getting across "puppy" as "Salamon" is.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

Speaking of Salamon, I think the joke that annoyed me most was when Kari sees her for the first time and says "What are we going to do? They don't allow us to have pets in our apartment."

Not only do they already have a cat, but Gatomon was already a loving cat. She would have been a pet anyway!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've never pretended Toei was great when it came to localization. They're a big part of why the series' dubs have been as inconsistent as they are. I just don't think their incompetence means the dub is good, or that Saban's work isn't the kind of thing we're better off moving on from.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

nine-gear crow posted:

See also Saban having problens throughout pretty much all of it's first run with Power Rangers and adapting the Super Sentai seasons they're based on

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This really puts into perspective how Samurai Pizza Cats happened.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

I've never pretended Toei was great when it came to localization. They're a big part of why the series' dubs have been as inconsistent as they are. I just don't think their incompetence means the dub is good, or that Saban's work isn't the kind of thing we're better off moving on from.

Oh yeah, I'm not defending Saban here. They've got their own set of lovely skeletons in their closet and the partnership with Toei was kind a match made in scummy children's TV heaven in many ways.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This really puts into perspective how Samurai Pizza Cats happened.

It was one of those rare golden instances where Saban being cheap, shady, and not giving a gently caress actually produced a product that even the original Japanese production crew accedes to being the superior show.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Who'd even dub Digimon : anyway? I thought Saban finaly retired and the setup they have/had for Tri/LE was not suited to TV dubbing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ConanThe3rd posted:

Who'd even dub Digimon : anyway? I thought Saban finaly retired and the setup they have/had for Tri/LE was not suited to TV dubbing.

Where would it even air? That's the awkward question. Anime doesn't tend to get picked up like it used to- it's all adult swim or Toonami generally.

Mind I'm saying that like I actually watch TV anymore or have watched TV in the last decade.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Dubbing is basically a separate question of airing now because of online streaming. Funimation still does dubbing as does at least one other company, but it's basically for their own services rather than being licensed out for broadcast.

Burkion posted:

Where would it even air? That's the awkward question. Anime doesn't tend to get picked up like it used to- it's all adult swim or Toonami generally.

Mind I'm saying that like I actually watch TV anymore or have watched TV in the last decade.

This is sorta the decade where niche stuff like anime which already had awful margins finally got largely shuffled off to streaming. CN via [as] via Toonami is pretty much the last bastion of broadcast anime save maybe for some very small or obscure channels that exist only in certain markets or in the weird parts of the satellite TV listings

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A little ironic as it's also the decade where every Western cartoon of note desperately tries to be anime as much as it can get away with.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not defending Saban here. They've got their own set of lovely skeletons in their closet and the partnership with Toei was kind a match made in scummy children's TV heaven in many ways.

It was one of those rare golden instances where Saban being cheap, shady, and not giving a gently caress actually produced a product that even the original Japanese production crew accedes to being the superior show.

Also I’m pretty sure the people dubbing the show at the time didn’t have access to any scripts so they basically decided to wing it.

I’ve seen the original Samurai Pizza Cats subbed on Crunchyroll and it’s a mediocre comedy/action show at best (also most of the episodes that got cut from the dub were just clip shows anyway), it really was the English version that actually made the show good/memorable.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Larryb posted:

Also I’m pretty sure the people dubbing the show at the time didn’t have access to any scripts so they basically decided to wing it.

I’ve seen the original Samurai Pizza Cats subbed on Crunchyroll and it’s a mediocre comedy/action show at best (also most of the episodes that got cut from the dub were just clip shows anyway), it really was the English version that actually made the show good/memorable.

Back in the day of webrings, long before the hope of getting a home release, there was a campaign to preserve every episode of Samurai Pizza Cats, especially since Canada had some episodes that the US refused to air. During that time, I believe there were a few RealPlayer episodes of Kyatto Ninden Teyandee that circulated, and they were treasures. It was fascinating to see the show that got turned into the Pizza Cats we knew, because outside of Power Rangers, we'd never experienced anything like that. The original series is a generic Tatsunko artifact of the 90s, but I still hold it decent regard because of the history of it all.

What really sucks is that Speedy/Yattaro was requested heavily to be in Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and everybody from Tatsunoko to the actual creator of KNT was on board. Despite that, they couldn't reach a licensing agreement for his inclusion, and I can't understand why.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Takoluka posted:

What really sucks is that Speedy/Yattaro was requested heavily to be in Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and everybody from Tatsunoko to the actual creator of KNT was on board. Despite that, they couldn't reach a licensing agreement for his inclusion, and I can't understand why.

I'd just assume old Japanese men being stubborn, senile asses for no good reason other than a foreigner/young person wants something.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd just assume old Japanese men being stubborn, senile asses for no good reason other than a foreigner/young person wants something.

I believe that's why the Dragon Quest Theatrhythm game never came to America. If I was a huge fan of Dragon Quest's music I'd have been saddened by that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The 3ds and its region lock were a failure of the console designer.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

The 3ds and its region lock were a failure of the console designer.

Nintendo is the platonic ideal of Stubborn Old Japanese Businessmen at its core.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I was going to argue Toei but naw, you're right, they're just cribbing from Nintendo's Region Lock cheatsheet.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Nintendo is the platonic ideal of Stubborn Old Japanese Businessmen at its core.

A stubborn old man who is always certain that his wacky schemes are always better than those whippersnappers and newfangled tricks like functional online connectivity or processing power.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Geostomp posted:

A stubborn old man who is always certain that his wacky schemes are always better than those whippersnappers and newfangled tricks like functional online connectivity or processing power.

And sometimes he's right! Now you're making Nintendo sound like a lovable anime barely-a-villain.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Nintendo is the Disney of the video game world. Solid PR and a family friendly image, very good at leveraging their beloved IPs, extremely ruthless about protecting them and keeping their stranglehold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Nintendo is the Disney of the video game world. Solid PR and a family friendly image, very good at leveraging their beloved IPs, extremely ruthless about protecting them and keeping their stranglehold.

Also kinda racist if you look under the hood too far :v: