Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Le Mans 2020 - hey? Where did everyone go?

Also I am still hype even if the world is on fire rn.

In fairness the decision to not allow any fans has probably allowed the thing to go on, it sounds like the second wave is bubbling in France at the moment.

I’m excited for good racing, and at minimum the P2 and GTE Pro battles should be that. 24 P2s! Unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Le Mans in September, the week after F1 at Mugello. A sentence that would have had you checked for a stroke in January.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

orange juche posted:

I signed up for it for 14 days to get free coverage of 24H of Le Mans, but who knows if the coverage will be good, or even passable. It's probably going to be poo poo up with commercials even though you're ostensibly paying for access.

The MotorTrend On Demand stream is commercial-free. I can watch the live stream on my Apple TV and I think they just rebroadcast the official WEC feed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Me, after 30 min of practice: Astons seem pretty good.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Do any of the non Toyota LMP1 teams even have a chance? Or have they hobbled the crap out of Toyota which even that seems kinda lame.

I kinda lost my enthusiasm for WEC after Toyota won Le Mans essentially unchallenged, but I might try and watch it if I get the streaming thingy

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Do any of the non Toyota LMP1 teams even have a chance? Or have they hobbled the crap out of Toyota which even that seems kinda lame.

I kinda lost my enthusiasm for WEC after Toyota won Le Mans essentially unchallenged, but I might try and watch it if I get the streaming thingy

They got rid of the artificial cap on the non-hybrids, which gave the Toyotas a lap-per-stint advantage, which Toyota is grumbling about a little. But any performance weight from the season has been removed, and things are running at fairly equal levels.

the Toyotas will still likely walk away, as they've got the huge budget and can run those endurance tests where they try every weird scenario imaginable. Plus there's forecast for rain, and the AWD will help.

but it's Le Mans, after all, and the racing gods can strike down at any time - like with one lap to go...

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

There are a lot of Am drivers out there this year

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Wait how long have the Toyotas been AWD? I thought they had all power delivered to the rear, did the regs change allowing them to send electric to the front or summat?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

track day bro! posted:

Wait how long have the Toyotas been AWD? I thought they had all power delivered to the rear, did the regs change allowing them to send electric to the front or summat?

Since day 1 lol

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Tracker/timing if anyone wants it: https://livetiming.alkamelsystems.com/porschemotorsporthub/positioning

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I am watching on Eurosport and they have Mark Cole so LOL i am not listening to that.

It took me 10 minutes to figure out why I couldnt listen on radiolemans.com, because adblock hides the player...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
More cars on track get hyyyppe.

harperdc posted:

but it's Le Mans, after all, and the racing gods can strike down at any time - like with one lap to go...
God there was a run of really great races huh.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

iwentdoodie posted:

Since day 1 lol

oh, I forgot.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

track day bro! posted:

oh, I forgot.

I think LMH is RWD only, and LMDH is going to be too.

But yeah on paper even the dumb loving Nissan was supposed to be AWD with the hybrid drive going to the rear. Audi and Porsche were both AWD.

The LMP1 Hybrid era is going to make for a fascinating coffee table book at some stage.

[Edit] hold up, the WEC official broadcast just said that the race control officials use Discord to communicate with teams? Wow. Wowww.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 17, 2020

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah they used it during the virtual Le Mans and liked it so much they kept it for real racing

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

harperdc posted:

But yeah on paper even the dumb loving Nissan was supposed to be AWD with the hybrid drive going to the rear. Audi and Porsche were both AWD.

The LMP1 Hybrid era is going to make for a fascinating coffee table book at some stage.

I really hope someone does a book like that laying out in detail the evolution and engineering differences between the LMP1Hs. Especially around 2014 when you had the Toyotas running a supercapacitor system, the Audis using a flywheel, and the Porsches equipped with cutting edge batteries. Three completely different hybrid designs that all ran fairly closely on the track. It’s even more amazing in retrospect

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

harperdc posted:

[Edit] hold up, the WEC official broadcast just said that the race control officials use Discord to communicate with teams? Wow. Wowww.

I love Discord and all, but hooboy if there's an outage...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nybble posted:

I love Discord and all, but hooboy if there's an outage...

they go back to radio if there is an outage. happens more often than you might think, too, especially at street/temporary circuits back in the olden days where they were using Yahoo Messanger and poo poo.

part of the advantage of using something like discord instead of rolling your own local tool is when the local intranet dies because Pierre drove over the data cable and broke it, everyone can switch to LTE :v:

(e: all of my info is like 10+ years old cause i dont have anything to do with the industry anymore so this may no longer be true i dunno)

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 17, 2020

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

Oh yeah I forgot the Nissan making GBS threads it up that year was meant to have electric rear drive but they couldn't get it working on time. Man that thing was a complete disaster, somehow it managed to be worse than the open cockpot Aston LMP1

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Oh yeah I forgot the Nissan making GBS threads it up that year was meant to have electric rear drive but they couldn't get it working on time. Man that thing was a complete disaster, somehow it managed to be worse than the open cockpot Aston LMP1

From memory one of the Nissans finished, which is more than can be said about the Aston.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Does Motortrend on Demand post VODs of the live sessions they stream? Thought I'd put qualifying or a practice session on in the background but have had no luck.

I'm on the website right now (not the app) and can't find anything for 2020 Le Mans other than their "Dempsey Races Le Mans" series.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

marshalljim posted:

Does Motortrend on Demand post VODs of the live sessions they stream? Thought I'd put qualifying or a practice session on in the background but have had no luck.

I'm on the website right now (not the app) and can't find anything for 2020 Le Mans other than their "Dempsey Races Le Mans" series.

They do not. If you miss it you're poo poo out of luck. So much for "On Demand" huh?

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

orange juche posted:

They do not. If you miss it you're poo poo out of luck. So much for "On Demand" huh?

Bleh. Thanks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hey shocking news! Peugeot is back [/sarcasm]

(It’s an LMH, and they have a big-rear end lion trackside at the first corner)

https://twitter.com/Peugeot/status/1306926194693201927

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Kinda sad I booked travel for early Sunday without realizing it would overlap with the race. LMP1 will be a one-horse race again and there's no Alonso, but will GTE Pro deliver without Ford?

I guess I can always watch the first few minutes to see ByKolles retire :xd:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Kinda sad I booked travel for early Sunday without realizing it would overlap with the race. LMP1 will be a one-horse race again and there's no Alonso, but will GTE Pro deliver without Ford?

theyll pull out a W to spite you

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Going by this it'll probably be just lots of yellow and red flag running
https://twitter.com/24hoursoflemans/status/1307003736557056006

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

the Rebellions look like they could pull a surprise! One split the Toyotas in the pole shootout.

also there's been plenty of news from Friday at Le Mans:

6-race season provisionally set for 2021 WEC, schedule as follows:
  • 13-14 March: Pre-Season Test (Sebring)
  • 19 March: 1000 Miles of Sebring
  • 1 May: 6 Hours of Spa
  • 12/13 June: 24 Hours of Le Mans
  • 18 July: 6 Hours Monza
  • 26 September: 6 Hours of Fuji
  • 20 November: 6 Hours of Bahrain

So Sebring, three rounds in Europe, Fuji and Bahrain. Not bad for a short season!

the Hypercar class will be called...Hypercar, and the LMDh rules are set with a final IMSA name to be determined. Looks like the LMDh cars will have 470kw power minimum from the engine and 50kw from the standard hybrid system, so definitely down from the current rules. One of the LMDh drawings in there looks suspiciously like a Porsche, almost close to the Porsche 911 GT1 in a way.

Also, the ByKolles LMH has details! We'll see what new and creative ways they'll find to blow up engines in the next era.

the H24 project is continuing and the ACO still says they'll provide rules in 2023 or 2024 about hydrogen-powered vehicles. Hmm.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 19, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

the Rebellions look like they could pull a surprise! One split the Toyotas in the pole shootout.

oh honey

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I was hoping for Kyalami, but alas, it's expensive to run down to the bottom of Africa for one race.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I was hoping for Kyalami, but alas, it's expensive to run down to the bottom of Africa for one race.

I think in 2022 or 2023 they'll look to go there again, not least because of Porsche's connections.

Cygni posted:

oh honey

I realize it'll likely be a Toyota endurance test while dodging GT cars, but hey, the last year of Toyota and Porsche was also almost the year we had a P2 win the whole thing. It's still Le Mans, so much can happen.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

It's 2020 so Bykolles to win p1 but overall a p2 wins the race.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

spaceblancmange posted:

It's 2020 so Bykolles to win p1 but overall a p2 wins the race.

That would be way too cool

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

man i don't even care who wins, i just want a great race right now

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Porsche Carrera Cup race is on and its raining :getin:

LeMans Cup is on in about an hour too

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do the drivers sleep in proper beds at Le Mans or what?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Nybble posted:

How's the Motortrend On Demand service for live races? Debating between subbing to that or getting the channel through Sling.

TheBacon posted:

When I tried to watch Aussie V8s a few weeks ago I could only watch live stream on the website and not the roku app on my TV so I was pretty annoyed with it.

I was expecting some stupid bullshit like this but it's letting me watch just fine on the Roku app. The stream is like 30 seconds behind the stream on the Motor Trend android app on my tablet though.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I'm hyped and ready!

I'm also extremely tired and likely to fall asleep before the race starts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
So weird to see this without the fans and the fairground