Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I love Screaming for Van-geance. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

didn't know Lana's new husband created the Conjoined Triangles of Success

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I kinda like Competencyril.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The two episodes were good, but man do I really hate it when shows do what the show is doing now. Specifically, spend years developing a cast of characters with their own personalities and histories, then do some kind of time jump where it turns out that it was actually the presence of a single other character that made them all like that, and without that character around they all become super competent generic "good people." It's lazy, and it betrays the character work that was done on them in previous seasons.

The show is still funny though, so I'm happy to keep watching, and glad that it's back to finish up on its own terms.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Who voiced Lana's husband? The voice was familiar, but couldn't put my finger on it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pam and Archer have such a cute friendship :unsmith: I kind of wish they'd just let the two of them date. I like Lana, but she and Archer are just consistently miserable as a couple. Just let her be happy with her new husband.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Small White Dragon posted:

Who voiced Lana's husband? The voice was familiar, but couldn't put my finger on it.

Pretty sure it was Stephen Tobolowsky.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Pam and Archer have such a cute friendship :unsmith: I kind of wish they'd just let the two of them date. I like Lana, but she and Archer are just consistently miserable as a couple. Just let her be happy with her new husband.

Lana and Archer were quite happy as a couple for most of one season, if I recall, and seemed to be moving past their issues before he went in to the coma.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, that was quite good.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Pam and Archer have such a cute friendship :unsmith: I kind of wish they'd just let the two of them date.
I'm glad they don't. It always makes for a refreshing change when TV writers let a man and woman just be friends.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I also feel they might drive eachother nuts if they got serious.

Their relationship being casual and low stakes is why it works.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Don't Archer and Lana have a daughter? (I know we're early in the season, but it seems like that ought to be important.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Don't Archer and Lana have a daughter? (I know we're early in the season, but it seems like that ought to be important.)

Lana has a daughter that Archer did accept as his (even though there were strong implications Cyril was the father.)

DangerousSpoon
Feb 28, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Lana has a daughter that Archer did accept as his (even though there were strong implications Cyril was the father.)

Works out as the child that he did think was his was proved to be Cyril’s

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of wonder how much Ray is going to be around this season since Adam Reed is taking more of a backseat in regards to the show.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
If he's not around maybe we'll see Barry fill in for him. That could be fun.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

ShakeZula posted:

The two episodes were good, but man do I really hate it when shows do what the show is doing now. Specifically, spend years developing a cast of characters with their own personalities and histories, then do some kind of time jump where it turns out that it was actually the presence of a single other character that made them all like that, and without that character around they all become super competent generic "good people." It's lazy, and it betrays the character work that was done on them in previous seasons.

The show is still funny though, so I'm happy to keep watching, and glad that it's back to finish up on its own terms.

I felt like the characters believed that was what was happening, but it was pretty clear that they were still pretty hosed up in his absence and put in extra effort to develop themselves in the three months since he woke up.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

DangerousSpoon posted:

Works out as the child that he did think was his was proved to be Cyril’s

I think that was Seamus, not AJ.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Really want to see some personal growth for Archer this season instead of bringing everyone else back down.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Now that they are a spy agency again, I kinda wish they would go back to being an actual organization with minor employees doing stuff in the background, the main characters having different functions, etc. They still seem to be sticking to the late-season status quo, where the agency consists entirely of the main characters, who all go on field ops as one big group.

Oh, well, the episodes are still reasonably funny, and I will be sticking around to the end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, it worked when they stopped being a spy agency and it was all hands on deck but now it doesn't exactly make a ton of sense to bring Cheryl and Pam along on missions. I guess it is one of those situations where the writers just got used to bringing everyone along and it is hard to roll back.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I think that was Seamus, not AJ.

Yeah, the wee baby Seamus is Cyril's kid, and AJ is Archer's kid (because Lana stole his sperm from a sperm bank).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Keltar posted:

Really want to see some personal growth for Archer this season instead of bringing everyone else back down.

Him growing is the only way the coma seasons will feel that relevant as well.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Halfway through ep 1 I was thinking “I wonder how long it takes them all to revert back to type?” and it turned out the answer was 2/3 of the way through the next episode.

I liked the early season-style “kind of accomplish the mission [but also kill a ton of people and blow everything up]” success conditions. Also “this hurts so much more than the hands!”

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I always liked them arguing about something not important in the middle of a gun fight. It's such an absurd concept it keeps working.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m watching the first episode right now. Is Lana’s husband Action Jack Barker from Silicon Valley?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I certainly hope all the van names are Judas Priest puns from now on.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m watching the first episode right now. Is Lana’s husband Action Jack Barker from Silicon Valley?
Watching it now too, and he did look and sound like Jack Barker. I had to check imdb but it is indeed Stephen Tobolowsky voicing him! I'm sure he made his billions with his conjoined triangle of success theory.

E: both points were already made before so never mind

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 18, 2020

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I will never understand why they spend a single second on "action" in this show.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mobby_6kl posted:

I certainly hope all the van names are Judas Priest puns from now on.

Watching it now too, and he did look and sound like Jack Barker. I had to check imdb but it is indeed Stephen Tobolowsky voicing him! I'm sure he made his billions with his conjoined triangle of success theory.

E: both points were already made before so never mind

Oh yeah I see those posts now haha. I saw there were 2 episodes up so I just :justpost:’ed to not get spoiled.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Was not expecting Jamie Lee Curtis to show up

I enjoyed the return of Conway Stern (which is not his real name).

So far it’s off to a better start than the last three seasons.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
This season so far is definitely on par with S1-4 for me, been really enjoying the return to regular spy poo poo and I like that they killed off a lot of the stuff they ran into the ground over the years. Really excited to see how this season is overall, which is the first time I can say that about this show in years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The first two felt a bit weird for me, what with Cheryl being weird and basically everyone was being weird. I get it's been 3 years for them, but we've been seeing the standard version of each character for those 3 years and now they are suddenly different. Also, it pisses me off that I pay for a Hulu subscription but I have to pirate the episodes in order to watch them at higher than 480p because Hulu just doesn't serve HD video on the website.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I like that Conway lost another limb, his other foot is the next to go and by the end he may be full cyborg. Unless Kreiger won't give him any more attachments.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

The first two felt a bit weird for me, what with Cheryl being weird and basically everyone was being weird. I get it's been 3 years for them, but we've been seeing the standard version of each character for those 3 years and now they are suddenly different. Also, it pisses me off that I pay for a Hulu subscription but I have to pirate the episodes in order to watch them at higher than 480p because Hulu just doesn't serve HD video on the website.

I made the mistake of paying for the season on google play and FXX still hasn't released the first two episodes to them.

I've seen this happen before. It's usually only the first airing that's affected but still.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Keltar posted:

I like that Conway lost another limb, his other foot is the next to go and by the end he may be full cyborg. Unless Kreiger won't give him any more attachments.

Kreiger would never stop giving him robot limbs, Kreiger would never not give ANYONE robot limbs. Many things may change, but Kreiger's desire to do weird rear end science will remain the same.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I watched the episodes on Hulu and they seemed like they were in HD...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FlamingLiberal posted:

I watched the episodes on Hulu and they seemed like they were in HD...

Was it on a TV or a console? On the website, I can never get anything on Hulu in HD, and multiple other people around the country have the same problem. It's not my internet because literally every other service gives me HD just fine. Ever since Hulu switched from letting me choose the quality to just "best quality" it only serves me low res crap.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I did it on the site and it was HD for me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ShakeZula posted:

Most of the characters are basically the same, it is really just Cheryl and Ray who have significant differences and Cheryl doesn't count. Figgis is the same dude but started working out

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Was it on a TV or a console? On the website, I can never get anything on Hulu in HD, and multiple other people around the country have the same problem. It's not my internet because literally every other service gives me HD just fine. Ever since Hulu switched from letting me choose the quality to just "best quality" it only serves me low res crap.
This was on my TV with Roku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

Most of the characters are basically the same, it is really just Cheryl and Ray who have significant differences and Cheryl doesn't count. Figgis is the same dude but started working out

Nah. Cyril certainly has developed some competence at the spy game and a bit of a backbone.