Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Valhalla Rising is the most boring Viking movie I've ever seen.

I still don't know what to make of Too Old To Die Young, but I wasn't bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Watched We Summon the darkness. I’m glad they did the twist they did because with all the satanic panic 2.0 QAnon nonsense I don’t think I could handle a movie made today positing the satanic panic was real actually. So having it be evangelicals using it for their own ends is pretty spot on

That said politics aside thought it was just ok.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Too Old To Die Young is amazing and contains both supernatural & sci-fi elements in the story.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Too Old To Die Young is amazing and contains both supernatural & sci-fi elements in the story.
Supernatural? Sounds like its a horror show to me :smug:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
hey horror thread, I’m selling a bunch of horror movies over in SA Mart. If anyone wants to stock up for the October challenge, I’ll give you the spook-a-doodle discount. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940692

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

hey horror thread, I’m selling a bunch of horror movies over in SA Mart. If anyone wants to stock up for the October challenge, I’ll give you the spook-a-doodle discount. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940692

:catstare:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

gey muckle mowser posted:

done and done.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

anime tupac posted:

(also Imogen Poots who has the most ridiculous name in the world for an incredibly pretty woman who has suffered terrible disaster in the only two movies I've seen her in, Green Room and 28 Weeks Later).

Today I learned that Imogen Poots’ middle name is Gay

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

david_a posted:

"Honey, what can we name our daughter that would really maximize schoolyard bullying? I mean, really crank it up to 11."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Or her non-union Welsh equilvant:
Cymbeline Homo Sharts

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

david_a posted:

Stryder posted:

"Honey, what can we name our daughter that would really maximize schoolyard bullying? I mean, really crank it up to 11."
gently caress, I actually knew that and forgot to include it in my comment that she has the goofiest possible name for a super pretty and talented actress

e:

[british voice] Hi everyone at the boarding school, this is our beloved daughter, Inogarph Gay Butt. please treat her with the utmost respect

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 17, 2020

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

BisonDollah posted:

Am I the only one that hated The Babysitter 2? I thought the first one was fun but just could not stand this, the tone was just all over the place. Pop culture references are not character development or a fast track to enjoyable dialogue. King Bach's lines in particular stunk.

I have a soft spot for Stephen Amell from Arrow because I hate when guys with middling physiques are depicted as being super-tough, which happens constantly in Hollywood, and Amell is an actual legit badass so I put up with the show just for him (and also he is an incredibly nice guy irl). So I liked, actually loved, at least one thing from The Babysitter 2: his cousin Robbie Amell realizing that the virgin blood he had drunk was not actually virginal because the kid has since hosed, and then dying while being like "AARRGH I'M NOT EVEN MAD BRO. RESPECT! AARGH" while burning to death. Aside from that, I get your complaints about it though; it was less an homage to 80s slasher stuff like the first was and more just a hodgepodge of... stuff.

(I also liked that it featured Love On A Real Train but that's just me)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Starfish on Shudder is a thoroughly dragging and kind of... bland film. But the soundtrack is SO good.

Like, it kind of reminds of something else, probably by Clint Mansell, and it's killing me that I can't place it.

THIS IS IT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVN1B-tUpgs absolutely wrecks me every time I hear it

edit-- The more I think about Starfish, the more I like it. It's slow and plodding, sure, but... it's an interesting look at dealing with grief while also having to shove it aside and deal with bigger problems.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 17, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I really loved Starfish and I'd really like to revisit it because it's kind of prescient when it comes to portraying someone isolating like they do in quarantine now.

I think the one criticism of it that's unfair is calling it bland though. Incoherent? Maybe. Disjointed? Sure. But a movie that breaks the fourth wall, has really excellent creature design, stops dead for an animated sequence by the Tezuka studios, and has a score like that can't be bland to me.

The way he did the score is pretty neat.

quote:

AW: I left the score very late. When I wrote it originally it was a year until the second draft, and then you’re later in that year before you’re in pre-production. Then it’s shooting. We’re a very indie film, so we made a lot of mistakes [Al laughs]. Post-production drags on twice as long as it should have. So you’re many, many years out from when you first come up with the concept. But you’re always trying to keep the film in that essence of mind you were in when you first wrote it.
Doing the score terrified me. I knew I’d have to go back and get into that mental space I’d been trying to tear myself out of, so we left it until we had about 9 days before we had to turn over copies for festivals. I was in London. I shut myself away with a stupid mini-keyboard, which is the worst possible way to write strings, it just sounds terrible. I had 3 days to write it, without sleep, then I had 3 days to record it, then 2 days to mix it. It was not fun. A really terrible experience, for everyone involved, I think [Al laughs.]

We had to come up with rules, because I really wanted the music to, like you said, reflect the journey. For me, it’s a very quiet film. Every note of the score, you want it to tell you things. Hopefully not too on the nose. We had a quartet of strings, and a piano. We knew we wanted the piano to represent Aubrey. The guy I worked with, who’s a sound engineer, I’ve worked with on my band’s albums, so I had a good relationship with him already. We did some cool things to make the sounds feel strange, we only affected the strings when Aubrey’s in the signal. I really wanted to get that analog feel, so we literally re-voiced it all through tapes and manipulated the sound more. We had to make sure it didn’t sound too messed up, either. Then it gets clearer as the film goes on.

My favourite bit was with the strings. We re-voiced them through a larger tape-to-tape reel at one point and I would hit the spools on it to make artefacts and warp it a little. When Aubrey’s having that dream state and she’s punching the wall, there’s blood everywhere, if you notice the strings go completely bizarre in the end, the whole tape sounds like it’s rewound. That wasn’t an effect [Al laughs]. It was me hitting the spools in this beautiful studio. I got a bit too into it and hit it so hard the entire thing came off, broke the deck. All of the reel-to-reel went spilling over the floor. Soon as we had that, and thought “Hopefully we don’t owe them lots of money,” we knew 100% it had to go in the film because it sounded so loving cool.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 17, 2020

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
An actress for the horror movie Mirror Mirror is Rainbow Harvest. If we're discussing odd names.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Starfish is in my top 30 films ever, and I don't even know why I want to say so, and that's why I haven't mentioned it around here, because I feel like I should be able to articulate why something is good. As soon as I was a few minutes into it I knew it was obviously, obviously about the writer dealing with a real friend's death. Even one of the Metacritic reviews from some major publication, I forget which, missed that this was OBVIOUSLY what the film was dealing with. I assumed it was going to get depressing and experimental; it did! I love where it goes, and I think the result is very good but not fantastic, I guess what I struggle with the most is the desire to just kill the world. I mean, I get it, I mostly post on C-SPAM, where it is a common belief that we might as well kill the world, but I wasn't sure the film provided enough evidence that that was a welcome outcome. There were still people alive. There was no obvious reason to just consign all life to oblivion.

But then I read that the film was in part about the screenwriter trying to deal with his grief, so: his emotions are his business. It's a beautiful film that maybe doesn't do enough work to explain itself, but I don't mind and like it anyway

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I just subbed to Shudder a few days ago and haven’t checked out Starfish yet.

But I did watch Blood Machines and...it sure was something.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

anime tupac posted:

Starfish

It's a beautiful film that maybe doesn't do enough work to explain itself, but I don't mind and like it anyway

I think that's about where I've landed on it. It's probably not something I'll recommend to people often, but it left a lasting impression on me. It definitely hits harder during quarantine, I think.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I think that's about where I've landed on it. It's probably not something I'll recommend to people often, but it left a lasting impression on me. It definitely hits harder during quarantine, I think.

That is a fair impression of it. I think what gets me most is I can tell how earnest it is, but I'm not sure I'll ever be like "hey friends check out this fantastic movie"

e: when you know for a true fact it's literally about the screenwriter dealing with his friend's death, it makes much more sense. no Death Of The Author stuff here; that's what this is about.

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 17, 2020

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I loved the aesthetics of Starfish and also the more grounded bits, but I felt like the intentional ambiguity about how much of the sci-fi stuff is metaphorical vs real made it very hard to emotionally connect with the narrative. I couldn't even tell whether I was supposed to feel happy or sad or even conflicted in any way with the ending, it all just seemed too dreamlike and abstracted.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

I'm pretty sure you're just supposed to want to kill yourself with vodka in an apartment by yourself, but I'm also pretty sure that's also what most artists of any stripe want you to do as well

(Cobra Kai seems to have made this cool as hell, which is accurate)

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 17, 2020

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Scare Package... is a thing I've seen.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

escape artist posted:

Scare Package... is a thing I've seen.

I liked it. The humor was fun.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I liked it. The humor was fun.

It was okay. Some segments weren't fleshed out enough.

Watched it back to back with Tales of Halloween which I have to say I liked. Do people hate that one?

Also, recommendations of any more horror comedies in this vein would be greatly appreciated.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/tweeterisawful/status/1306482839689592833

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CelticPredator posted:

Steaming hot take warning.

Refen list.

Drive.

Preserving Andrew Milligan's back catalogue was a greater contribution to cinema than anything Refn has ever committed to celluloid himself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not liking Drive is an art crime, please report to the nearest Academy for re-education.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the version I saw of Drive was pirated but the score was literally just a lot of Badalamenti's music from the Mulholland Drive score dumped over the top. it felt a little cheap but I always wondered if it was the mock-up cut prior to the real score

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

I thought Carpenter's coroner character was the worst "anthology host character" :\

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I thought Carpenter's coroner character was the worst "anthology host character" :\

MODS?!

...Wait a sec.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

You're saying that, but wasn't he sharing the screen with Tobe Hooper?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Saw an HK psychological thriller/horror film called Legally Declared Dead the other day and really liked it. It's about an insurance agent who sees a kid hang himself and becomes convinced that the dad was responsible, partly because the agent's brother killed himself and he feels guilty. It's adapted from a novel so a couple of bits feel cursory or implausible, but mostly I thought it was gripping, well filmed (especially the flashbacks), and had good acting; the dad is played by Anthony Wong from the original Infernal Affairs films. It doesn't seem to have been released in the west, but it might come out on streaming, I suppose.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jedit posted:

You're saying that, but wasn't he sharing the screen with Tobe Hooper?

Hm... fair... fair...

I dunno, Body Bags is charming as hell because in my mind it's just Carpenter and a bunch of other horror folks just hanging out having a good time and making a project they love. But, without all of the trivia level horror guy knowledge, I don't think he holds up the same as the Creep or the Cryptkeeper.

I still love Johnny Carps don't worry

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You're right in the sense that if I were choosing an anthology to show to a horror novice, Body Bags wouldn't be it. But as a horror guy it's really really fun to have an anthology where a different famous horror alumni is popping up in every scene. John loving Carpenter as the horror host is just the cherry on top.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Hm... fair... fair...

I dunno, Body Bags is charming as hell because in my mind it's just Carpenter and a bunch of other horror folks just hanging out having a good time and making a project they love. But, without all of the trivia level horror guy knowledge, I don't think he holds up the same as the Creep or the Cryptkeeper.

I still love Johnny Carps don't worry

I think the sight gags make it more broad than you're giving it credit. Cryptkeeper is painfully silly puns, which is about as broad as it gets (for English speaking audiences).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing with Cryptkeeper is that it's a great puppet. So even through the stupid puns you can enjoy a really cool, gruesome looking puppet.

Which of course is something the guy who voiced the Cryptkeeper never wanted to admit, he thought people loved his voice work more than the puppet.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
John Kassir's voice was next level good voice acting that actually rose to the quality of the puppet. Neither would work nearly as well without the other. Imagine that puppet with the voice of the Creep from Creepshow 2, oof.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Imagine if they'd gone with a more faithful Cryptkeeper, where he's just a grody dude who drools. I imagine it would've been half as effective

His first appearance is a bit more mysterious

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I used to hide during the opening for Tales From The Crypt because the puppet popping out was so scary to me as a kid. I'd say it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
They always had really nice set design on Cryptkeeper too. Tons of cobwebs and the heavy creaking doors and dusty books and all that stuff.