Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

GeekyManatee posted:

Mine is still in cart. Every few minutes the "checking out...." turns back into a check out button. I click it again, hoping every time that it'll finally allow Nvidia to siphon my wallet.

If you make it past there it'll just tell you to gently caress off at the end:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So, these are my options on my go-to site. Are there any must avoid brands on here or have there been any sort of consensus itt on really solid picks? (hard without actually having the cards, but yeah)
I cannot make myself care about doing overclocking, not paying extra for that.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Tuxedo Gin posted:

They should just do a single entry lottery for release day.

I'm curious how they would even enforce this! Only because I've wondered the same thing, but then I get stuck on the "how do you really enforce the one-per-person rule if said people are bound and determined to circumvent the limit?"

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

GeekyManatee posted:

Mine is still in cart. Every few minutes the "checking out...." turns back into a check out button. I click it again, hoping every time that it'll finally allow Nvidia to siphon my wallet.

same

I've got no expectations it'll ever actually go through, or that my order wouldn't be refunded if it somehow did though

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Taima posted:

Not saying they shouldn't do a lottery but I don't know how you would enforce it.

everyone signs up, emails picked at random allow you to order and user account info must match the key.

they figured out how to do it for friggin' hamilton/harry potter tickets and those are much hotter commodities.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Taima posted:

Not saying they shouldn't do a lottery but I don't know how you would enforce it.

Honestly? Drivers license verification. One entry per address, shipped to the address and name on license only, done a few weeks in advance.

Comic con does something similar and it works and scalper bullshit basically doesn’t happen.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Animal posted:

It was on my cart stuck at checkout and disappeared when I refreshed. Dumb.

Don't worry, it probably never actually even got to the store.nvidia.com DRHM checkout anyway.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Taima posted:

captchas, lottery, queue, pre-order, so many loving ways have been developed to combat botters from sneaker manufacturers, only lovely sites like shoepalace, footlocker, and eastbay don't use them

NVIDIA was more than capable of preventing this, but they just didn't care

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Between this and the PS5 pre-orders, the last 18 hours have been a real poo poo show. An exhausting one at that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

axeil posted:

i can't believe they don't even have the most basic of capchas on their site.

botting should be illegal.

Good luck at enforcing it op.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I really don't get it. I've been refreshing the whole time as people are saying they're able to buy and purchase and it never left "out of stock." :(

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
drat and i'm mad over waking up early, imagine being these poor souls. gently caress you NVIDIA lmao

https://twitter.com/Leekay07/status/1306619578739560448

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Twerkdad posted:

If you make it past there it'll just tell you to gently caress off at the end:

Lovely. If you had it in cart that should have been the end of things. :\

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Kingnothing posted:

Honestly? Drivers license verification. One entry per address, shipped to the address and name on license only, done a few weeks in advance.

Comic con does something similar and it works and scalper bullshit basically doesn’t happen.

Might have to move it to credit card verification instead of DL for :reasons: but, yeah, if you give a poo poo enough about it there are a ton of ways to reasonably tie accounts to individual identities. It wouldn't entirely stop it, but it sure would cut it down a lot.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Taima posted:

Put in your card and billing/mailing address upon entry. Hell, phone number verification, too, like apps do. Delete or ban duplicates. Not perfect but a hell of a lot better than frantically F5’ing and getting pissed. Lotteries are done in other places and industries to even the playing field and fight scalping - it definitely works.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If there's nothing at 5PM on the UK store I'm pretty sure that's it. The Online Store page isn't lagging out anymore.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Shogunner posted:

captchas, lottery, queue, pre-order, so many loving ways have been developed to combat botters from sneaker manufacturers, only lovely sites like shoepalace, footlocker, and eastbay don't use them

NVIDIA was more than capable of preventing this, but they just didn't care
It's bizarre, because their website appears to have been able to cope - for the most part, so there's no reason they couldn't have implemented a queue. If you land on it and find you've got 2 hours to wait, you can just get on with your day or give up.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Bedlam posted:

I really don't get it. I've been refreshing the whole time as people are saying they're able to buy and purchase and it never left "out of stock." :(

Different countries, for one. I'm in the US and never saw it available for purchase, but I did see it on the UK site, CA site, etc.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I am only sticking around in the hopes that I see someone put up the Batsignal on Amazon taking orders for all of their listed 3080s.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DrDork posted:

Different countries, for one. I'm in the US and never saw it available for purchase, but I did see it on the UK site, CA site, etc.

I don't think the UK sites button ever went anywhere, and the only one that added to cart was a dud.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Parker Lewis posted:

I am only sticking around in the hopes that I see someone put up the Batsignal on Amazon taking orders for all of their listed 3080s.

I did notice some movement on the platform page. The Gigabyte cards didn't have their pictures at all until just recently, like the past hour maybe.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
As far as I can tell it basically assigned you an API token if you managed to add it to cart, which was step one that "kinda, sorta" allowed you to get one, then it was more or less complete luck if the server completed your requests without throwing an error. All the way until they were out of stock.

It actually reminds me a ton of those console giveaways they used to do in like the 90s where you would continually call a phone number. Hah.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

They should just do a single entry lottery for release day.

It's the most fair/logical solution. You know these things are gonna sell out anyway so why not give the scalpers a slug in the gut?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Taima posted:

As far as I can tell it basically assigned you an API token if you managed to add it to cart, which was step one that "kinda, sorta" allowed you to get one, then it was more or less complete luck if the server completed your requests without throwing an error. All the way until they were out of stock.

Well gently caress thats rear end.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Ulio posted:

Nvidia not having a captcha in 2020. Amazing stuff.

They DO have a captcha! (in their goofy local app you have to sign into before you're allowed to download drivers)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

GPU Megat[H]read - Nvidia loves bots

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

ijyt posted:

I don't think the UK sites button ever went anywhere, and the only one that added to cart was a dud.
It was possible to order on the UK site, briefly, about 30 or so minutes ago.. whenever people were talking about following the link from the email. Checking out was the problem, but at least one person on this thread managed it.

What makes matters worse is the little idiocyncracies.. I've discovered today that most stores have a completely different node handling their basket/checkout than the main site. The ones that didn't collapse completely would give you the option to preorder, but actually checking out - mission impossible. Nvidia is guilty of this too.

When the launch time came around I was on the Nvidia shopping page with only the 3080 visible (everything else filtered out). It was sat on "Notify Me". It wasn't until probably 20 minutes later I discovered that if you only have one product as a result of the filter, it will just say "Notify Me" anyway. If I added 3090 to the filter - it changed to "Out of Stock". Great.

It shouldn't be this difficult to throw money at a company. I'd rather know I have zero chance, because it's 100% out of stock, than have to keep F5'ing my fingers to the bone on the off chance they'll add more stock, or that I hit a different caching server, or that some backend script will work once for me, or whatever.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

jkyuusai posted:

They DO have a captcha! (in their goofy local app you have to sign into before you're allowed to download drivers)

why in god's name do you need a captcha for downloading drivers but not actually buying the card?

it just amazes me the loving sneaker industry has this figured out but a tech company who should be aware of all this stuff doesn't.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Funkysauce posted:

It's the most fair/logical solution. You know these things are gonna sell out anyway so why not give the scalpers a slug in the gut?

Because Nvidia already got paid, and will keep getting paid, because silicon crack.

:capitalism:

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

GeekyManatee posted:

Lovely. If you had it in cart that should have been the end of things. :\
I remember ordering an iPhone 3G on launch day and if you could see the buy button your connection would hold through to order confirmation. Nvidia seems to work on the basis of 'You want to check out the item in your basket? I DCed after querying the stock.'

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

They could have done a captcha or a lottery or whatever, but does doing business like they do today actually hurt them? It seems like they still sell all their stock and that pushes the hype even further, without any cost to them.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

axeil posted:

why in god's name do you need a captcha for downloading drivers but not actually buying the card?

because consumer, gently caress you

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
For people saying bots weren't a factor, this account is full of tweets bragging about using bots to snag cards today https://twitter.com/BounceAlerts

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dracula Factory posted:

They could have done a captcha or a lottery or whatever, but does doing business like they do today actually hurt them? It seems like they still sell all their stock and that pushes the hype even further, without any cost to them.

arguably pisses off consumers. if there wasn't a monopoly at the top end this would probably be bad for them but since there isn't they can just say gently caress you, deal with it.

this is why monopolies are bad.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Dracula Factory posted:

It angers people, but you're right--they have such a dominant product positioning right they they don't really have to give a gently caress. I mean, what are you going to do? Buy AMD?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Some day AMD will make a good high end GPU and I’ll jump ship. NVIDIA should probably learn from Intel’s mistake

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Overall it's not a total loss, the PS5 preorders were good (relatively a total walk in the park actually)

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
My 45 minute session is still somehow active and my cart is not emptied, so I am clicking submit every 30 sec on the order confirmation screen in futility. Cleanse me in the digital rivers

edit: can't wait to check and find $70,000 in pending charges on my credit card

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 17, 2020

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

at least we got a new driver guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

the_enduser posted:

at least we got a new driver guys

Dozens of people will be able use these drivers in the next month! Dozens!