Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Lundqvist has another year at 8.5 mil so I don't know how many teams will be lining up to take that on. Especially the Avs, they need to re-sign/replace half their team in the offseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah even with retention that is a LOT of money to put into a backup/1B goalie in even the best of times, never mind now.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
He's getting bought out.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

too bad his brother joel couldn't cut it as an nhler that'd be cool to see them on a team

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I would love to see Lundqvist and Mackinnon win a cup together, gently caress it

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Wherever he goes I’ll be rooting for him...unless it the islanders/Flyers. That will hurt too much.

It would own if the isles could sign hank and win a cup with him, but they're locked in to sorokin/varlamov for a long time going forward so close to zero chance of that happening

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
If Colorado doesn't use the weird season and the cap situation to make a one year superteam to win the cup for Lundqvist, then what's the point. They did it for Bourque! Do it again!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Iodised QQ posted:

It would own if the isles could sign hank and win a cup with him, but they're locked in to sorokin/varlamov for a long time going forward so close to zero chance of that happening

issuing a correction on a post of yours, regarding the terrorist organization "ISLANDERS", it will not, under any circumstances, "own if they sign hank"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

issuing a correction on a post of yours, regarding the terrorist organization "ISLANDERS", it will not, under any circumstances, "own if they sign hank"

lol well done

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
What if Hank ends up in Jersey.. shudders. Atleast he can't end up in Tampa with all the other sloppy seconds from the Rangers.
How are things in Buffalo? NYR and them have also had an exchange program for a long time. Not that they will compete for the cup I think.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
MoJo is fine but he has no business being a 2C, let alone a 1C.

I always think Staal is one hit away from :fork: but he keeps on chugging.

What a weird trade. I love it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MRLOLAST posted:

How are things in Buffalo?

hysterical

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/IIHFHockey/status/1306617324007497729
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1306622707719692289

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

drat Malhotra is a loss.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Wouldn't the Juniors being held in Edmonton mean the NHL season isn't happening until like late January? Where would the Oilers do their training camp and preseason?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

drat Malhotra is a loss.

Haven’t heard that name in awhile. Did his vision ever recover or did he just figure out how to play with one eye?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Flocons de Jambon posted:

Wouldn't the Juniors being held in Edmonton mean the NHL season isn't happening until like late January? Where would the Oilers do their training camp and preseason?

The tournament takes 10 days, so I'd imagine they'd either work an Edmonton road trip into that period of time, or shift games to that arena in Red Deer that they're also using if need be.

E: oh man do a preseason game in the ice palace in the mall, that would own

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

Haven’t heard that name in awhile. Did his vision ever recover or did he just figure out how to play with one eye?

He wanted to play but he's all but blind in one eye. The Canucks refused to let him play despite his desire to do so so ate his full cap hit for a year rather than risk his health. He left as a free agent with Carolina but it became quickly clear the Canucks were right. He stuck around for a couple years but retired in 2015. He's been a faceoff/defensive zone coach in Vancouver since.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Pour one out for the deletion of all the article drafts somehow already written about Boudreau to the Leafs = coach in waiting == TORONTO CONTROVERSY, Steve Simmons must be crushed

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
For a second, I thought Malhotra was still playing and the Leafs managed to snag him.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

i am the bird posted:

If Colorado doesn't use the weird season and the cap situation to make a one year superteam to win the cup for Lundqvist, then what's the point. They did it for Bourque! Do it again!

I'd be all in on the Avs winning the cup with Lundqvist, they seem like a fun team and I have no animosity towards them. They were even the closest thing to a "home team" for me back in the 90's!

MRLOLAST posted:

What if Hank ends up in Jersey.. shudders. Atleast he can't end up in Tampa with all the other sloppy seconds from the Rangers.
How are things in Buffalo? NYR and them have also had an exchange program for a long time. Not that they will compete for the cup I think.

Rangers are gonna buy him in all likelyhood so cap hit for a team signing him is probably not an issue. He'll be getting his buyout money and if he wants to go to a potential contender he'll have the financial leeway (as if he needs it) to take a cheap contract from someone.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
malhotra is an incredible face off / d coach, good for him for the promotion

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Flocons de Jambon posted:

If an NHL season happens (and that’s a really big if at this point), the Canadian teams will need to play home games in the U.S. somewhere. I can’t see a situation where teams will be able to fly back and forth between Canada and the U.S.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ThinkTank posted:

He wanted to play but he's all but blind in one eye. The Canucks refused to let him play despite his desire to do so so ate his full cap hit for a year rather than risk his health. He left as a free agent with Carolina but it became quickly clear the Canucks were right. He stuck around for a couple years but retired in 2015. He's been a faceoff/defensive zone coach in Vancouver since.

The Lake Erie Monsters signed him to a PTO the year they won the Calder Cup, but he wasn't on the roster at the end of the season. Didn't he go play some very Semi-Pro level soccer briefly before hanging it up completely?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Lake Erie Monsters signed him to a PTO the year they won the Calder Cup, but he wasn't on the roster at the end of the season. Didn't he go play some very Semi-Pro level soccer briefly before hanging it up completely?

I distinctly remember a bunch of times they sent him out to win a faceoff and then had him go change for someone else

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1306630618135093250?s=20

“eye in the sky”

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Kept his eye on the prize the whole time.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Levitate posted:

I'd be all in on the Avs winning the cup with Lundqvist, they seem like a fun team and I have no animosity towards them. They were even the closest thing to a "home team" for me back in the 90's!

Rangers are gonna buy him in all likelyhood so cap hit for a team signing him is probably not an issue. He'll be getting his buyout money and if he wants to go to a potential contender he'll have the financial leeway (as if he needs it) to take a cheap contract from someone.

If he's after a vet min cup chase I could see Vegas going for him.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I hope with his new contract he crosses all the T's and dots all the

lower
case
J's

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.c...-his-candidacy/

Supposedly he came close to getting the job and his interview was strong if you believe such things. I still think there’s a good old boys network trying to quickly rehab his image and get him a job...

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.c...-his-candidacy/

Supposedly he came close to getting the job and his interview was strong if you believe such things. I still think there’s a good old boys network trying to quickly rehab his image and get him a job...

Old boys club is still trying to get Peter Chiarelli back into the league as a GM, so

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Hockles posted:

lower
case
J's

:thurman:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

St. Dogbert posted:

If an NHL season happens (and that’s a really big if at this point), the Canadian teams will need to play home games in the U.S. somewhere. I can’t see a situation where teams will be able to fly back and forth between Canada and the U.S.

I'd heard they might reshuffle the divisions to accommodate this, with one Canadian division and 3 US divisions.

If this happened, the travel times would be killer, plus the Canadian teams would see a lot of each other - or maybe they'd each have a period of time where they travel around the US, play each team and then go back to Canada and have a 14-day quarantine.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Zaroff posted:

I'd heard they might reshuffle the divisions to accommodate this, with one Canadian division and 3 US divisions.

If this happened, the travel times would be killer, plus the Canadian teams would see a lot of each other - or maybe they'd each have a period of time where they travel around the US, play each team and then go back to Canada and have a 14-day quarantine.

A 48 game season for the Canadian division would be 8 games per opponent. That’s probably more workable than sticking a 14 day break in an already compressed season.

For travel times, they should be able to figure something out so it’s not a normal schedule of flying out to play one or two games and going back. Like I see a lot of back to backs against cross country opponents to cram games in. Like an eastern team going on a west coast tour might be a back to back set against each opponent with 2-3 days in between each set. That’s 8 games in 14-20 days twice which seems somewhat doable.

Winnipeg is kinda hosed since they have no easy trips.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Yeah no matter how much well documented abuse he gave to his players, I’m sure Babcock has a lot of fans in the NHL and in many front offices. He will be back for sure, but for now public perception is stopping that....for now.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hockles posted:

lower
case
J's

:golfclap:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

WeaponX posted:

Yeah no matter how much well documented abuse he gave to his players, I’m sure Babcock has a lot of fans in the NHL and in many front offices. He will be back for sure, but for now public perception is stopping that....for now.

Everything about Babcock makes it seem like he's a curmudgeon-y rear end in a top hat. Even the old boys club has to get sick of someone after awhile

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Everything about Babcock makes it seem like he's a curmudgeon-y rear end in a top hat. Even the old boys club has to get sick of someone after awhile

The old boys club doesn’t have the track record to back this up. I’d be happily wrong if Babcock doesn’t get a job in the NHL tho

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Took like 4 decades for hockey to get sick of Don Cherry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

WeaponX posted:

Just glad the Caps dodged that bullet.