Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea this new episode isn't really like most of the others, he and Adkins basically just sit there and discuss various Hong Kong stunt clips. I love how each guest kinda brings a different element to the series and Adkins seems totally fine with taking it in whatever direction the guest wants to go.

Honestly I feel like we're getting to the point where this video series is just as much of a contribution to the history of action film as Adkins movies. And I 100% mean that as a compliment because I think Adkins has made a huge contribution to the genre over the course of his career so far.

Question: Is there a streaming service that actually has a lot of classic Hong Kong action films? Specifically I'm talking like 80's Sammo Hung and Jackie Chan, and other stuff from those years? Prime has Wheels on Meals but that's all I could find.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

Question: Is there a streaming service that actually has a lot of classic Hong Kong action films? Specifically I'm talking like 80's Sammo Hung and Jackie Chan, and other stuff from those years? Prime has Wheels on Meals but that's all I could find.

I believe Starz has several but overall you're gonna be picking up cheapo DVDs and finding full movies on YouTube.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Basebf555 posted:

Prime has a pretty decent selection of Hong Kong stuff, leaning towards more of the old school Shaw Brothers stuff. Hoopla, the library streaming service, has some gems like Project A and Supercop up there.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Yea this new episode isn't really like most of the others, he and Adkins basically just sit there and discuss various Hong Kong stunt clips. I love how each guest kinda brings a different element to the series and Adkins seems totally fine with taking it in whatever direction the guest wants to go.

Honestly I feel like we're getting to the point where this video series is just as much of a contribution to the history of action film as Adkins movies. And I 100% mean that as a compliment because I think Adkins has made a huge contribution to the genre over the course of his career so far.

It's not that extensive, but UFC fight pass has quite a few old shaw bros. films. It's mostly the famous ones, but still, that's an option.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I just watched Bushido Man on tubi, a 2013 low budget martial arts movie which features someone ripping the arm off a little girl, then using that arm as nunchuks. I'm always glad to see modern movies that recreate the silliness and awesomeness of the 70s.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Our local English language action channel has decided to be on a Stallone kick this week for their nightly films so last night I watched Escape Plan and fell asleep during Escape Plan 2. 1 is forgettable as an action movie, but it's a good thriller and honestly the absolute best Arnold Schwarzenegger acting I've ever seen. He brings genuine humour and warmth and it's genuinely worth watching for that.

Escape Plan 2 I only saw the beginning but it had some really great Asian action work and sets. I didn't see Stallone for the 20 mins or so I was awake so I'm sure he ruins it by showing up soon as the 70 year old sausage casing he's aged into but has anyone seen 2 or 3 and can say how they are as action movies? 2 seemed to be going for a "fight club in prison" thing (I saw until he wakes up in the pit, beats the guy and earns "2 hours of relaxation time"). Dave Bautista hadn't shown up yet but I generally enjoy him too.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

Our local English language action channel has decided to be on a Stallone kick this week for their nightly films so last night I watched Escape Plan and fell asleep during Escape Plan 2. 1 is forgettable as an action movie, but it's a good thriller and honestly the absolute best Arnold Schwarzenegger acting I've ever seen. He brings genuine humour and warmth and it's genuinely worth watching for that.

Escape Plan 2 I only saw the beginning but it had some really great Asian action work and sets. I didn't see Stallone for the 20 mins or so I was awake so I'm sure he ruins it by showing up soon as the 70 year old sausage casing he's aged into but has anyone seen 2 or 3 and can say how they are as action movies? 2 seemed to be going for a "fight club in prison" thing (I saw until he wakes up in the pit, beats the guy and earns "2 hours of relaxation time"). Dave Bautista hadn't shown up yet but I generally enjoy him too.

You're right in calling them actiony thrillers rather than straight action movies. The action is almost all during the actual escapes, but is decent once you get to it. Stallone mostly shoots stuff, these days, since he's 70. His character in these is all about being sneaky and smart, and backing it up with muscles, rather than old school Muscles First for problem solving.

Bautista does a bit more in #3, which also has Max Zhang as the featured guest star, so even more kung fu. They go to a creepy, real-but-abandoned prison for the set.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Glad to hear that EP 2/3 are still watchable, I loved 1 because I love a prison break but I’ve moved those down my list because I was worried about the steep decrease in budget. Will move them back up.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Shoot 'Em Up rules in its setups and visual clarity and a huge part of it is the director had the whole thing storyboarded and back before he even got funded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z_cx3y5bxw

There's more to the documentaries on the DVD and they're tricker to find online

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

jojoinnit posted:

Our local English language action channel has decided to be on a Stallone kick this week for their nightly films so last night I watched Escape Plan and fell asleep during Escape Plan 2. 1 is forgettable as an action movie, but it's a good thriller

I agree 100% with you - in fact it's so forgettable, that I remember watching it a second time (thinking it was the first) and right before the big reveal/twist (I forget if this was part 1 or 2 even) I shouted "it's a loving boat, gently caress I've seen this!" . Escape Plan 3 is forgetable as well but still very watchable and it has Amos (from the Expanse - who I think could be just the coolest :swoon: ). It's one of those movie series' that get better with sequels/trilogies because they can get away with more insane poo poo with the previous experience imo

Another cool prison break movie that's probably underrated (or unheard of) is Incoming with Scott Adkins... in Space Prison; way way better than that Guy Pearce one

Hirez fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 17, 2020

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Shoot 'Em Up rules in its setups and visual clarity and a huge part of it is the director had the whole thing storyboarded and back before he even got funded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z_cx3y5bxw

There's more to the documentaries on the DVD and they're tricker to find online

the action design and the execution of Shoot em Up is loving great. It's the logical next step for John Woo type stuff. It's just all the non shooty parts with Clive Owen that don't work. He just looks bored.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Snowman_McK posted:

the action design and the execution of Shoot em Up is loving great. It's the logical next step for John Woo type stuff. It's just all the non shooty parts with Clive Owen that don't work. He just looks bored.

The concept with guns, tits, and carrots carried it IMO.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

That’s his character. He’s supposed to be super detached, angry and cynical.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Thanks to whoever recommended drive, this intro action scene is amazing. Why do they keep firing guns at each other's feet?!! Incredible

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

That’s his character. He’s supposed to be super detached, angry and cynical.

I got it. I just didn't like it.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Snowman_McK posted:

I got it. I just didn't like it.
From the making of documentaries on the DVD, it seems like the Clive Owen character is a Gary Stu self insert of the director's quirks (like the turn signal thing) and so the personality might be a casualty of that

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
painfully accurate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PbkxyZfI8k

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
If you want a Christian action film that isn't awful watch Redeemer. Zaror is a beast and the white boy villain is one of the few comic reliefs in these low budget affairs that actually made me chuckle. What a putz.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I remember there was a director who did music videos for guys like Project 86 who did a Christian action movie, back in the early 2000s. I never saw it, but always wanted to. David Dunn or something that?

EDIT- It was Duanne something, I think.

Narzack fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 19, 2020

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Narzack posted:

I remember there was a director who did music videos for guys like Project 86 who did a Christian action movie, back in the early 2000s. I never saw it, but always wanted to. David Dunn or something that?

Oh god there was an awful Gary Daniels movie that guy made I watched a few years ago, I don't remember any overtly christian stuff but I do remember the stink of horribleness permeating the entire thing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I remember being pumped for Shoot Em Up and seeing it opening weekend in theaters but the lack of squibs \ general impact to the shooting just soured the whole thing for me. Ended up not liking it at all.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Yeah, Shoot'em Up would've been greatly improved with a Robocop level of splatter. But then again, I suppose few things wouldn't. There's lots of fun ideas in there, but it all feels somehow constrained.

Anyway, who's up for some Samo Hung? Featuring a dirty head, colourful costumes, a fanciful villain, a stampede, much facial emoting and possibly more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkKdJdKvLhs

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Today I watched Millionaires Express and Eastern Condors. WOOOOOOOO! Sammo Hung I love you!

I mean seriously, how loving good is Eastern Condors?

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 23, 2020

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Popelmon posted:

Today I watched Millionaires Express and Eastern Condors. WOOOOOOOO! Sammo Hung I love you!

I mean seriously, how loving good is Eastern Condors?

Millionaire’s Express is worth it solely for that scene where Yuen Biao jumps off a second story building and then has to deliver a line. Everything else is just gravy.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Like 3 people do that in ME, I love it

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

ynohtna posted:

Yeah, Shoot'em Up would've been greatly improved with a Robocop level of splatter. But then again, I suppose few things wouldn't. There's lots of fun ideas in there, but it all feels somehow constrained.
Now I wanna make an guacamole gun ai to fix this movie, and others.

ynohtna posted:

Anyway, who's up for some Samo Hung? Featuring a dirty head, colourful costumes, a fanciful villain, a stampede, much facial emoting and possibly more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkKdJdKvLhs
halfway through, its terrific, is this the same as hung’s Dirty Ho, or is that different?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just figured out that Millionaire's Express is actually on Prime under it's alternate title, Shanghai Express. Very excited to check it out after all the mentions it got in the Adkins youtube series.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I don't know if this quite fits this thread, but I had a lot of fun today with The Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe. Kung fu spaghetti western, with lots of racist slobs getting smacked around, Klaus Kinski as a scalp-hunter, an incidental cannibal villain, and a satisfying level of momentum to it all. According to Letterboxd, it's also up on Tubi.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Basebf555 posted:

I just figured out that Millionaire's Express is actually on Prime under it's alternate title, Shanghai Express. Very excited to check it out after all the mentions it got in the Adkins youtube series.

Thank you for this holy crap this movie rules

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Oops I forgot to post my reviews in here for a while, here's a pile of them. Watching a few older ones this week because I signed up for the 7-day trial of Starz on Amazon when I wanted to watch Wayne's World the other day.

The Outpost (2020) - 2/5, Redbox Blu-ray
Difficult to put a rating on this. It's technically well-made, thrilling, and Caleb Landry Jones gives an incredible performance.

But it crushed me. It is unbelievably depressing to watch a movie that is the true story of young men getting killed or traumatized for life for literally nothing. It's infuriating, and nothing is going to change the climate any time soon either.

Villain (2020) - 1.5/5, Netflix
Craig Fairbrass was good but this was so incredibly generic and corny. Not a single interesting story beat to be found. And not enough action to make up for that.

Invincible (2020) - 1/5
Zero budget whole cloth rip of Universal Soldier. Also a weird Johnny Strong vanity project wherein he co-wrote the script and... wrote and performed all the music?

The result is not good. The plot and script are exactly the kind of over-ambitious twisty mess that you hate to see so often from direct-to-video action movies, doubled down with the the sci-fi element that they definitely don't have the money to deliver on. Just make a movie about someone getting revenge for their kidnapped kid!

Marko Zaror is the main positive part of the movie. There are enough watchable action sequences involving him that you do get like 10-15 minutes of entertainment out of the pile. My favorite moment is when he is holding a pistol and somehow simultaneously punches and shoots a guy. Vladimir Kulich is also pretty good.

Most of the gun stuff looks bad because it's CGed in instead of practical. The women in the movie are props. Invincible is not worth your time.

The New Mutants (2020) - 1.5/5, Alamo Drive-In
Felt like a Marvel movie equivalent of a "bottle episode." Script is really bad, but there were a few good ideas and effects inside. Didn't even feel that bored even though literally nothing happens from like minutes 3 through 50 of the film.

Movie should be docked an additional full point for the most heinous "Kentucky accent" I have ever heard, another point the "British people must be stopped" column.

Tenet (2020) - 2/5, Alamo Drive-In
the ultimate "dumb guy who thinks he's smart" movie

Christopher Nolan needs to be stopped. You can't spend the first thirty minutes of your one hundred fifty minute movie with straight exposition of how the world works. Did nobody ever tell this man to show, not tell? If that's the best he can come up with, then he should not get to spend two hundred five million dollars making it.

Completely lost me by the hour mark. Tons of muffled dialogue and the stuff you can hear is so corny. It is impressively made, at least.

I'm almost certainly going to watch this again on some kind of home release with captions, and be mad at myself for doing so.

Taken (2008) - 1.5/5, Starz on Amazon
the daughter got a horse for her birthday so she deserved to get taken

Ticks every box of the things that make me hate an action movie. The only thing worse than the monumentally bad script is the unwatchable editing that turns everything interesting about the action into a complete mess.

Neeson's invincible and omnipotent, there are nothing more than minor obstacles for him around every turn.

12 Rounds (2009) - 3/5, Starz on Amazon
Aidan Gillen is a Joker in this film and he creates an unbelievable amount of chaos. I could not believe how Renny Harlin and the team continued to escalate each step along the way. Truly wild movie, go see it if you haven't.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Boco_T posted:

Christopher Nolan needs to be stopped. You can't spend the first thirty minutes of your one hundred fifty minute movie with straight exposition of how the world works. Did nobody ever tell this man to show, not tell? If that's the best he can come up with, then he should not get to spend two hundred five million dollars making it.
You've identified why he gets 200 million dollars to make it. It boils it down so everyone can understand. He spent about 30 minutes of Inception explaining that movie too, and people still complained, at the time, that it was hard to understand.

I'm not defending his movie making style. I think he's been going downhill for a while, but that's why he gets the budgets he gets.

Boco_T posted:

Aidan Gillen is a Joker in this film and he creates an unbelievable amount of chaos. I could not believe how Renny Harlin and the team continued to escalate each step along the way. Truly wild movie, go see it if you haven't.

I remember watching this years ago and being very pleasantly surprised. It was a lot better than a thriller starring a pro wrestler should be.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Snowman_McK posted:

I remember watching this years ago and being very pleasantly surprised. It was a lot better than a thriller starring a pro wrestler should be.
I was excited for Cena in this, but I also watched it so that tomorrow I can watch 12 Rounds 2 which I was promised has an unhinged Randy Orton performance

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I just signed up for the Wu-tang collection unlimited for $3/month, and it’s pretty much kinda worth it.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Oh? Is it a secret?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Boco_T posted:

Oops I forgot to post my reviews in here for a while, here's a pile of them. Watching a few older ones this week because I signed up for the 7-day trial of Starz on Amazon when I wanted to watch Wayne's World the other day.

The Outpost (2020) - 2/5, Redbox Blu-ray
Difficult to put a rating on this. It's technically well-made, thrilling, and Caleb Landry Jones gives an incredible performance.

But it crushed me. It is unbelievably depressing to watch a movie that is the true story of young men getting killed or traumatized for life for literally nothing. It's infuriating, and nothing is going to change the climate any time soon either.

Villain (2020) - 1.5/5, Netflix
Craig Fairbrass was good but this was so incredibly generic and corny. Not a single interesting story beat to be found. And not enough action to make up for that.

Invincible (2020) - 1/5
Zero budget whole cloth rip of Universal Soldier. Also a weird Johnny Strong vanity project wherein he co-wrote the script and... wrote and performed all the music?

The result is not good. The plot and script are exactly the kind of over-ambitious twisty mess that you hate to see so often from direct-to-video action movies, doubled down with the the sci-fi element that they definitely don't have the money to deliver on. Just make a movie about someone getting revenge for their kidnapped kid!

Marko Zaror is the main positive part of the movie. There are enough watchable action sequences involving him that you do get like 10-15 minutes of entertainment out of the pile. My favorite moment is when he is holding a pistol and somehow simultaneously punches and shoots a guy. Vladimir Kulich is also pretty good.

Most of the gun stuff looks bad because it's CGed in instead of practical. The women in the movie are props. Invincible is not worth your time.

The New Mutants (2020) - 1.5/5, Alamo Drive-In
Felt like a Marvel movie equivalent of a "bottle episode." Script is really bad, but there were a few good ideas and effects inside. Didn't even feel that bored even though literally nothing happens from like minutes 3 through 50 of the film.

Movie should be docked an additional full point for the most heinous "Kentucky accent" I have ever heard, another point the "British people must be stopped" column.

the ultimate "dumb guy who thinks he's smart" movie

Completely lost me by the hour mark. Tons of muffled dialogue and the stuff you can hear is so corny. It is impressively made, at least.

I'm almost certainly going to watch this again on some kind of home release with captions, and be mad at myself for doing so.

Taken (2008) - 1.5/5, Starz on Amazon
the daughter got a horse for her birthday so she deserved to get taken

Ticks every box of the things that make me hate an action movie. The only thing worse than the monumentally bad script is the unwatchable editing that turns everything interesting about the action into a complete mess.

Neeson's invincible and omnipotent, there are nothing more than minor obstacles for him around every turn.

I really appreciate your write ups

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Anybody know what the copyright is like for old Kung Fu movies like those on the Wu Tang Collection? Are they free to watch for anybody?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Just watched this. Lots of fun! It kind of seemed like a genre mash-up, with action/western/comedy. But who were all of those people that Sammo killed at the beginning, and why? I liked a lot of the fights and comedy bits.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

They were just Russians

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Tenet was the most confusing movie I have ever seen. Makes no loving sense and you can hear half the dialogue. The movie was shot beautifully and the action scenes are pretty cool but as far as plot and following along it’s a disaster.

I loved all of Nolan’s other movies so I’m not sure why this one turned out to be so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

jase1 posted:

Tenet was the most confusing movie I have ever seen. Makes no loving sense and you can hear half the dialogue. The movie was shot beautifully and the action scenes are pretty cool but as far as plot and following along it’s a disaster.

I loved all of Nolan’s other movies so I’m not sure why this one turned out to be so bad.

Been thinking about this one and I think it's this: every earlier Nolan has a lead character with a compelling story. Guy Pearce in Memento, Leo in Inception, McConaughey in Interstellar all have fleshed out backgrounds. Tenet by it’s very nature of the story is telling you nothing about the protagonist. I get that’s the idea but it really hampers it for me. JDW does an excellent job and is very enjoyable, I don’t think he’s the issue, it’s the storytelling device Nolan uses in this.

Action scenes are great though, but it's far from an "action movie". It's a decent thriller I guess?

Please tell me if any of this feels spoilery and I'll edit. I think I phrased it in a way that says nothing if you haven't seen it outside of the basic concept.

E2: decided to play very safe and put it all under the bars anyway.