Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Nevermind, just ordered a 2-bay NAS and a Shield Pro...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Numbers coming out for the 3080 looks like its safe to stay with a 600watt psu as long as you don't have like a 3950x or some crazy overclock that draws 200watts.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Romes128 posted:

Numbers coming out for the 3080 looks like its safe to stay with a 600watt psu as long as you don't have like a 3950x or some crazy overclock that draws 200watts.

*sweats in 300 watts*

I'll probably set myself back to stock for a bit, or maybe just make it a bit saner. Not sure. I only ever go above 230W when I'm running a power virus test.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Warmachine posted:

*sweats in 300 watts*

I'll probably set myself back to stock for a bit, or maybe just make it a bit saner. Not sure. I only ever go above 230W when I'm running a power virus test.

Most reviews that I've seen have used a 3950x or 10900k and it's pegged at about 530 watts.

I have an extra 600 watt psu in another system that's not currently in use. Worst comes to worst I'll just use that sitting on top of my current system. Or downgrade to a 2600 cpu that I have laying around.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Should I consider replacing my Node 202 if I'm getting the RTX 3080 Founders Edition, due to the funky airflow design of the card? Or will there not be any real concern wrt GPU or case heat versus a traditional multi-fan design?

Or should I get a non-FE 3080 from the usual third-party suspects?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Should I consider replacing my Node 202 if I'm getting the RTX 3080 Founders Edition, due to the funky airflow design of the card? Or will there not be any real concern wrt GPU or case heat versus a traditional multi-fan design?

If you have fans installed behind the gpu maybe flip it around to match the airflow direction?

From what I'm seeing on reddit the only airflow "issue" is in sandwitch style cases where that fan is blowing into nothing and probably recirculating air back to the gpu area. The node has a vent there, it should be fine.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

One of the fans will exaust against the plastic top cover which probably isn't optimal, but I think the more pressing issue is putting a 300+W GPU into a case known for poor thermals.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arzachel posted:

One of the fans will exaust against the plastic top cover which probably isn't optimal, but I think the more pressing issue is putting a 300+W GPU into a case known for poor thermals.

Gpu thermals are fine if you have two fans in there.

Cpu thermals were poo poo no matter what.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
B&H seems to have Silverstone SFX-L 700watt PSU in stock;

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1296094-REG/silverstone_sx700_lpt_700w_80_plus_platinum.html

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 21, 2020

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Romes128 posted:

Gpu thermals are fine if you have two fans in there.

Cpu thermals were poo poo no matter what.

I'm using that case right now and am significantly less optimistic.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Arzachel posted:

Yeah, that was my main concern. It's been handling an RTX 2080 okay so far, but that is significantly lower TDP than the upcoming 3080.

And I kinda wish I read this before somehow successfully putting in the order for the 3080 this morning :sweatdrop: Oh well!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah, that was my main concern. It's been handling an RTX 2080 okay so far, but that is significantly lower TDP than the upcoming 3080.

And I kinda wish I read this before somehow successfully putting in the order for the 3080 this morning :sweatdrop: Oh well!

If you actually get your 3080 and have regrets I have no doubts you’d be able to resell and more than make your money back.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Just so nobody gets caught unaware, this is sfx-l, not sfx.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Where's the EVGA XC3 de-shroud for the M1 report??

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

You should... uh.. give it to me then.. yea.

VorpalFish posted:

Just so nobody gets caught unaware, this is sfx-l, not sfx.

Whoopsie doodle, my bad. Yea it's SFX-L.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Romes128 posted:

You should... uh.. give it to me then.. yea.

Nah, my plan B is to use it to convert my Node 202 into a sous vide

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Optimum Tech is the patron saint of this channel at this point.

https://youtu.be/Bdohv96uGLw

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

Honestly he's the only tech YouTuber who does dedicated SFF content. I don't think I've seen any other major channels doing what he does. They're all rainbow puke gamer channels.

Gamers Nexus and Buildzoid do great technical content, but they're not SFF focused like OT.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Honestly he's the only tech YouTuber who does dedicated SFF content. I don't think I've seen any other major channels doing what he does. They're all rainbow puke gamer channels.

Gamers Nexus and Buildzoid do great technical content, but they're not SFF focused like OT.

His channel was a godsend when I first started researching poo poo.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Tech Everything is almost entirely SFF focused, he just has slow/infrequent uploads. Used to be very active on SFFNetwork https://www.youtube.com/c/Tekeverything

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Ceros_X posted:

Tech Everything is almost entirely SFF focused, he just has slow/infrequent uploads. Used to be very active on SFFNetwork https://www.youtube.com/c/Tekeverything

He also does a lot of mom builds and is happy to settle with ITX-length graphics cards which I am not.

Another good channel is Not From Concentrate he designed the S4 and does a lot of builds with it as well as customs.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

This eases my mind about the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM I have in my build right now. I was fairly confident it would be okay, but it's good to see some real-world data.

Thinking of upgrading my i5-7600 build to a Ryzen 7 3700X in the near future. Does anyone have any experience and/or opinions between these two B550 motherboards? The only difference I can see is that the Gigabyte is $50 US more than the ASRock, and the ASRock has an embarrassingly short memory QVL.

ASRock B550M-ITX/ac
Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

This eases my mind about the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM I have in my build right now. I was fairly confident it would be okay, but it's good to see some real-world data.

Thinking of upgrading my i5-7600 build to a Ryzen 7 3700X in the near future. Does anyone have any experience and/or opinions between these two B550 motherboards? The only difference I can see is that the Gigabyte is $50 US more than the ASRock, and the ASRock has an embarrassingly short memory QVL.

ASRock B550M-ITX/ac
Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/asus-b550i-strix.13522/post-205305

You get what you pay for in this case, the vrms on the Asrock board will probably be fine with a 3700X, if a little toasty, but the layout and only one M.2 slot kinda sucks.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Arzachel posted:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/asus-b550i-strix.13522/post-205305

You get what you pay for in this case, the vrms on the Asrock board will probably be fine with a 3700X, if a little toasty, but the layout and only one M.2 slot kinda sucks.

Thanks! That's a great write-up. VRMs don't matter to me much because I don't plan to overlcock, and I don't have any M.2 devices in my plans (yet?). However, I keep seeing people mention the poor layout of the ASRock board, plus the RAM I'm looking at is not on the ASRock's QVL (but it is on the Gigabyte's). It sounds like it'll be worth the $50 for the Gigabyte for these reasons and the ones in the link.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Thanks! That's a great write-up. VRMs don't matter to me much because I don't plan to overlcock, and I don't have any M.2 devices in my plans (yet?). However, I keep seeing people mention the poor layout of the ASRock board, plus the RAM I'm looking at is not on the ASRock's QVL (but it is on the Gigabyte's). It sounds like it'll be worth the $50 for the Gigabyte for these reasons and the ones in the link.

On the other hand, one more argument for Asrock is if you need to rma the board. I have always had great support from Asrock, but Gigabyte is the worst customer support I have ever run into, to the point where I actively avoid them. Just complete refusal to provide even basic support under warranty or even bother to respond at all.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Warmachine posted:

buildzoid is only relevant if, like him, you care about about "truly" hardcore OC

no, having extra phases doesn't make a card better if you aren't pumping hundreds of extra amps through it on the reg

it just costs more lol

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

buildzoid is only relevant if, like him, you care about about "truly" hardcore OC

no, having extra phases doesn't make a card better if you aren't pumping hundreds of extra amps through it on the reg

it just costs more lol

He's like a weird college professor to me that starts a lecture on one topic but keeps getting side tracked by other interesting topics related to the lecture at hand. I feel like I've learned a good few tidbits about the underlying electronics that make the pretty light pictures.

The GPU thread pointed out a great line from his 3080 video though: "I'm just pushing sliders around, and I can push sliders around for a lot cheaper."

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Anyone have any opinions about the Inwin A1 Plus?

Specifically, if I'm thinking about throwing a 3070/80 in there?

I like the overall dimensions and look of it, and given PSU prices, the integrated 650W starts to make the whole package look like a steal, but if said PSU sucks, or the case as a whole is garbage, then it would cease to be a steal.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Romes128 posted:

If you have fans installed behind the gpu maybe flip it around to match the airflow direction?

From what I'm seeing on reddit the only airflow "issue" is in sandwitch style cases where that fan is blowing into nothing and probably recirculating air back to the gpu area. The node has a vent there, it should be fine.

RTX 3080 should be arriving today :woop: I do have two 120mm fans installed behind the GPU, both currently blowing outside cool air into the GPU chamber. Looking at the FE cooler design, both GPU fans are on the vent side, pulling air in. The fan further from the bracket seems to also blow hot air from the GPU up into the case, which would run into the top cover and pool in the case. This heat might get dumped into the PSU area, maybe? Should I flip the case fan here to mitigate?

Guess I'll be the first guinea pig/dumbass to test the Founders Edition in the Node 202 :v:

edit: oh poo poo it just got delivered

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 23, 2020

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

RTX 3080 should be arriving today :woop: I do have two 140mm fans installed behind the GPU, both currently blowing outside cool air into the GPU chamber. Looking at the FE cooler design, both GPU fans are on the vent side, pulling air in. The fan further from the bracket seems to also blow hot air from the GPU up into the case, which would run into the top cover and pool in the case. This heat might get dumped into the PSU area, maybe? Should I flip the case fan here to mitigate?

Guess I'll be the first guinea pig/dumbass to test the Founders Edition in the Node 202 :v:

edit: oh poo poo it just got delivered

I just had to look at my own 202. I REALLY thought there were vents on both sides of the GPU area. My bad.

Personally I would waste my own time trying fans in both orientations, but I could see not everyone willing to do that considering you have to take the gpu out just to flip a fan.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Romes128 posted:

I just had to look at my own 202. I REALLY thought there were vents on both sides of the GPU area. My bad.

Personally I would waste my own time trying fans in both orientations, but I could see not everyone willing to do that considering you have to take the gpu out just to flip a fan.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind trying this. I have time these days :v:

Edit: maybe someday I'll end up doing this

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 21, 2020

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Preliminary results with one case fan blowing in at the blowthrough (?) fan and the other blowing out, playing RDR 2 for a sustained half hour or so

The fans got awful loud, definitely a bit louder than the EVGA 2080 I had. The entire Node 202 case gets warm to the touch now too. Oh dear :v:

eta: looks like it's peaking at 82°C after more gaming

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 21, 2020

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Preliminary results with one case fan blowing in at the blowthrough (?) fan and the other blowing out, playing RDR 2 for a sustained half hour or so

The fans got awful loud, definitely a bit louder than the EVGA 2080 I had. The entire Node 202 case gets warm to the touch now too. Oh dear :v:

eta: looks like it's peaking at 82°C after more gaming

That's honestly better than I expected even with the fans running at max rpms. I think running both case fans as intakes might be better so you don't choke the GPU fans but it's hard to say.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Arzachel posted:

That's honestly better than I expected even with the fans running at max rpms. I think running both case fans as intakes might be better so you don't choke the GPU fans but it's hard to say.

Yeah, I want to try flipping that fan back around to see what that does. Will try tomorrow during my work-from-home lunch break and report back! Though this case makes it a serious pain to line up the brackets with the screws so the GPU will stay seated properly in the slot :argh:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Warmachine posted:

He's like a weird college professor to me that starts a lecture on one topic but keeps getting side tracked by other interesting topics related to the lecture at hand. I feel like I've learned a good few tidbits about the underlying electronics that make the pretty light pictures.

The GPU thread pointed out a great line from his 3080 video though: "I'm just pushing sliders around, and I can push sliders around for a lot cheaper."

he has literally one and only one criterion for a good card and that is power delivery

it's a critical part but once you can deliver enough power more is not better

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

There's something to be said for an overbuilt vrm even without overclocking because it'll be easier to keep cool in low airflow situations which is often relevant to sff.

Obviously there's a point where it becomes a bit ridiculous.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Flipped the one fan so now both case fans are intakes for the GPU. I like the results! Running the RDR2 benchmark tool at 4K with Ultra maximum Favor Quality preset. The benchmark helpfully keeps the GPU at full load at the results screen, for some reason, so I let it sit there for an hour:

CPU temps are higher than before, lol. GPU peaked at 82 for a second, but it's staying at 79-80 now under load. CPU spiked up to 86 once, but it's also seemed to settle just under 80. Also the fans run significantly quieter for some reason, but I'm not complaining.

What I will complain about is that nearly every fan decided to rub against something in the case when I did this operation :argh: Somehow the internal PSU extension cable decided to jam itself against the GPU fan, generating a frightening buzzsaw noise when it spun up. After I figured that out, somehow one of the case fans started rubbing against the dust filter, making an eerie hissing sound. I am a little embarrassed to say it took me at least hour to resolve all these noises.

The case is also uncomfortably hot to the touch, especially by the GPU chamber :v:

edit: after a full day of being on and idling, the GPU idles at 57°. Not great, so I finally had the idea to adjust my case fan curve so that they're running at 60% speed minimum instead of 40%. That very quickly dropped the idle temp to 47°, and it's not too much louder :toot:

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 23, 2020

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Sliger did some testing with the 3080 FE in their cases:
https://old.reddit.com/r/sliger/comments/iyklqm/sliger_thermal_testing_results_pt_1_rtx_3080_fe/

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Ran another test with the case fans at 50% speed minimum (dropped from 60% to noticeably reduce noise). RDR2 again pinning GPU at 99% for about 30 minutes.

:toot:

So, the Node 202 can handle the RTX 3080 FE just fine, as long as you have two good case fans pulling plenty of cool air from outside into the GPU chamber. This is with Fractal Design HP-12 fans, and the CPU is an i5-7600. Wondering how the temps would change with, say, a Ryzen 7 3700X.

Thanks for this! The following from their post reassures me that my temps are perfectly fine:

Sliger posted:

The GPU stabilized at 78-79 degrees, with the odd peak to 80 degrees. The CPU did start to run away a bit before stabilizing at 83-84 degrees. This configuration might not be ideal for those most concerned with thermals. That said, you won't have to worry about temperatures causing throttling if you go down this route.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

This makes me angry at the Loque team. They had a FE for about a week before launch and refused to post thermals. A day after launch, they told us in their discord that they won’t post thermals.... even though they have been posting thermals for every other thing.... honestly I have no idea what’s happening at that company anymore