Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Black Griffon posted:

uh, poo poo. Well. uh. gently caress.!

have I once again owned the entirety of SA by living in a country with an extant standard of living?!

Also I went for the TUF that was just TUF and not TUF OC, and the OC thing is just for people who want to gently caress with OC poo poo, right?

It's factory overclocked is all. You can do it yourself if so inclined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Black Griffon posted:

have I once again owned the entirety of SA by living in a country with an extant standard of living?!

some people just have it all god drat

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Looks like it shipped and will be here on Tuesday. I'm excited to play FTL and baldurs gate 1 at the highest FPS possible.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The OC has a mild overclock applied as stock, but it draws more power and runs hotter. You’ll be perfectly fine with either.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Cygni posted:

sweet googly moogly, yall should check out the beta GeForce Experience branch. was just goofin with it and its pretty tasty, including a nice little overlay with basic info and a new overlay that does live overclocking/tuning like MSI Afterburner or Precision X1 but with a more usable interface.

it all needs some more polish, but its good to see Nvidia bundling these sorts of tools finally. you can really tell theyve been spending on their software side.

https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/1306705138187264001
The transparency is way to high on it so it's super difficult to read anything without a proper game background. Hopefully they'll fix it, but it also leaves an impression of a feature they don't even bother using themselves.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Shogunner posted:

some people just have it all god drat

hey, if it makes you feel better, I don't think anyone over here knows what we'll actually do once the oil runs out or we get a government which shuts down oil.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's factory overclocked is all. You can do it yourself if so inclined.

Der Shovel posted:

The OC has a mild overclock applied as stock, but it draws more power and runs hotter. You’ll be perfectly fine with either.

good, good, then I won't bother changing my order.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ufarn posted:

The transparency is way to high on it so it's super difficult to read anything without a proper game background. Hopefully they'll fix it, but it also leaves an impression of a feature they don't even bother using themselves.

do you normally leave those kinds of overlays on for extended periods? ive always used them for like the "dial in the settings" portions of playing a new game, but after that I don't want to waste the CPU cycles on it.

but its a brand new thing on a beta branch, too. I imagine it will get better. Or not!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Black Griffon posted:

Also I went for the TUF that was just TUF and not TUF OC, and the OC thing is just for people who want to gently caress with OC poo poo, right?

Nice. I was gonna tell you that the ASUS TUF, Both Gigabyte Cards and the MSI Gaming Trio all seem to be reviewing well, but hey. Welcome to the club!

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
The Gigabyte card is a teeny bit to long for my case, but the TUF will fit.

Black Griffon posted:

Well congrats, now that card is sold out at Elkjøp and it says it expected to be in stock on September 21st, but they've added a note to all the 3080 cards - even the in-stock ones - that they'll ship in 2 months. :iiam:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

In completely unrelated news, I got confirmation my card is at the Courier hub and will be winging it's way south to me forthwith.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Vir posted:

Well congrats, now that card is sold out at Elkjøp and it says it expected to be in stock on September 21st, but they've added a note to all the 3080 cards - even the in-stock ones - that they'll ship in 2 months. :iiam:

poo poo, I see that now, and I very much doubt that appeared right after I ordered, so I guess we'll see in a day or two if I just hoisted my dumb rear end on my own petard running my mouth like a dipshit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Enos Cabell posted:

90 days actually, it's a generous window.

You have to register your *card* within 14 days to be able to register for Step-Up within 90 days. It's one of those 'asterisk' things.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

https://www.pcmag.com/news/how-a-bot-bought-dozens-of-rtx-3080-units-before-consumers-could-grab-them

Admin rear end in a top hat posted:

The news may anger PC gamers who failed to buy the card at normal prices. But the admin for Bounce Alerts said consumers should blame the limited supplies on COVID-19 disrupting manufacturing in Asia.

gently caress right off.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm :tinfoil: as gently caress right now I've been staring at this for like an hour ctrl F5

edit: :negative:

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 17, 2020

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

That's not even the worst quote. This one really gets me.

"When given [the] chance, I’m sure most people would purchase more than 10+ units if they have the capital and look to make upwards of $25,000+ in one single day from [the] secondary market,” the admin said

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
I had a guy I worked with once who had that hustler/grifter type persona who would totally do stuff like this.

He seemed to have no hobbies outside of doing stuff like this to try and get extra money and came off as a husk of a person.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I find it difficult to believe that the bots haven't figured out a way to get past the "click on this icon (that looks the same every time) to prove you're a human."

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
3 EVGA cards and 1 MSI card showed up as in-stock on Newegg. They all failed once I got past credit card selection.

I even tried their combos with PSU for EVGA and a $250 ram package for the MSI card. Both of the cards disappeared and Newegg nearly made me by the PSU and RAM by themselves full price. What a bunch of fuckers.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Cactus posted:

I find it difficult to believe that the bots haven't figured out a way to get past the "click on this icon (that looks the same every time) to prove you're a human."

Because the "click here to prove youre not a robot" thing actually looks at your recent cookies/history in the browser info and determines whether the patterns of that is legit or bot-like. It's more than just a mouse click.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cactus posted:

My understanding is those check your browsing behavior and that bot creators totally have. I think having residential proxies helps. You can also outsource captcha solving (not a new thing).

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 17, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
lol my local store had a fistfight break out, also one dude sat in the middle of the aisle and said he wasn't leaving until he got a 3080 so the cops came and dragged him away

gamers rise up

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

AirRaid posted:

Because the "click here to prove youre not a robot" thing actually looks at your recent cookies/history in the browser info and determines whether the patterns of that is legit or bot-like. It's more than just a mouse click.

Duck and Cover posted:

My understanding is those tend to check your browsing behavior and that bot creators totally have. I think having residential proxies helps. You can also outsource captcha solving (not a new thing).

Actually sounds really interesting, any more info? I've learned a lot from this thread and not just about GPUs, so thanks everyone!

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Cactus posted:

Actually sounds really interesting, any more info? I've learned a lot from this thread and not just about GPUs, so thanks everyone!

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/78807/how-does-googles-no-captcha-recaptcha-work

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
So I'm good to step up if I buy any recent EVGA RTX card right? Tempted to get a 2080S as a hold over.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

ChazTurbo posted:

So I'm good to step up if I buy any recent EVGA RTX card right? Tempted to get a 2080S as a hold over.

I believe the step up program details which cards are eligible. There's a list somewhere on their site, so make sure it's on there before buying.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cactus posted:

Actual good condense comprehensive source? Nope.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7V18bBk4EGwmxf114i1w6Q

Sneaker botter youtuber but not exactly a condensed form of info, although I think he's done videos on details. There's also what I remember from "black hat search engine optimization" bots could break captchas through screen reading (to spam their links for google to find). https://www.blackhatworld.com/ Although I don't know how relevant this site is it's been awhile.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 17, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, again:

While you have 90 days to elect to take advantage of the Step-Up program, if you don't register your card within 14 days, the only other way to enroll is if you buy an extended warranty. So TL;DR: register your card in the first 14 days.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, again:

While you have 90 days to elect to take advantage of the Step-Up program, if you don't register your card within 14 days, the only other way to enroll is if you buy an extended warranty. So TL;DR: register your card in the first 14 days.

Planned on getting an extended warranty anyway. works for me.

Adambomb0
Jan 10, 2007

ChazTurbo posted:

Planned on getting an extended warranty anyway. works for me.

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

I talked to the support guy just to double check before buying, he said to make sure it was being fulfilled by Amazon since I didn't get it from EVGAs website.

Here is the list of cards, I'm not sure the 2080 would work.

Graphics Card

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 10G-P5-3897-KR, 10GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Technology, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate (10G-P5-3897-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC ULTRA, OVERCLOCKED, 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool Dual, 70C Gaming, RGB, Metal Backplate, 08G-P4-3173-KR, 8GB GDDR6 (08G-P4-3173-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 KO ULTRA GAMING, 06G-P4-2068-KR, 6GB GDDR6, Dual Fans, Metal Backplate (06G-P4-2068-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 BLACK GAMING, 06G-P4-1160-KR, 6GB GDDR5, Single Fan (06G-P4-1160-KR) (PDF)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Ordered a 2070 to try the step up game. So I hope this works.

You can step up from a 2070 to a 3080 right??

edit: I ordered the EVGA 08G-P4-3173-KR GeForce RTX 2070 Super XC ultra gaming, 8GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans, RGB LED, Metal Backplate

That should be good right?? :ohdear:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is it going to go back in time to steal all the Infinity Stones?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Adambomb0 posted:

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

I talked to the support guy just to double check before buying, he said to make sure it was being fulfilled by Amazon since I didn't get it from EVGAs website.

Here is the list of cards, I'm not sure the 2080 would work.

Graphics Card

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 10G-P5-3897-KR, 10GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Technology, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate (10G-P5-3897-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC ULTRA, OVERCLOCKED, 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool Dual, 70C Gaming, RGB, Metal Backplate, 08G-P4-3173-KR, 8GB GDDR6 (08G-P4-3173-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 KO ULTRA GAMING, 06G-P4-2068-KR, 6GB GDDR6, Dual Fans, Metal Backplate (06G-P4-2068-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 BLACK GAMING, 06G-P4-1160-KR, 6GB GDDR5, Single Fan (06G-P4-1160-KR) (PDF)

Those're cards that one can step up to.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

ChazTurbo posted:

As long as your 2080s costs less than $809 and you buy it from an authorized retailer you are good to go. You pay the difference, but they won't refund you anything on a higher priced card.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Hackan Slash posted:

That's not even the worst quote. This one really gets me.

"When given [the] chance, I’m sure most people would purchase more than 10+ units if they have the capital and look to make upwards of $25,000+ in one single day from [the] secondary market,” the admin said

:guillotine:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Another question I've asked before: like many, I have to get a new PSU if I'm gonna run a 3080. Is there any brand that's really hot and a good buy these days? Is the list of brands to avoid the same as it's been the last few years?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

Another question I've asked before: like many, I have to get a new PSU if I'm gonna run a 3080. Is there any brand that's really hot and a good buy these days? Is the list of brands to avoid the same as it's been the last few years?

I always stand with Seasonic, personally.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
There's a list of good ones from a few different brands to look for kicking around in the Parts Picking thread, but due to supply issues from COVID and all the other mess this year, PSU prices and stock are hosed and it's tough to be picky right now.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Cygni posted:

sweet googly moogly, yall should check out the beta GeForce Experience branch. was just goofin with it and its pretty tasty, including a nice little overlay with basic info and a new overlay that does live overclocking/tuning like MSI Afterburner or Precision X1 but with a more usable interface.

it all needs some more polish, but its good to see Nvidia bundling these sorts of tools finally. you can really tell theyve been spending on their software side.

My CPU is apparently preparing to become a black hole at 4.29 bn % utilization.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D
Best buy is still releasing some stock, like a half hour ago I almost got to checkout with an MSI Ventus, but it got snatched before I could complete the transaction.

Is the step-up thing really worth trying? I have a feeling the stock on these is so low you guys are going to be waiting a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Cygni posted:

I wish it was a bit more discrete. I use RiverTuner overlays and you can get them small enough where it's not intrusive. I wonder if there's any options to customize the overlay to something smaller and less noticable.