Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The team system in Rival Schools is weird, where you pick three and can choose to switch to anyone on your team between rounds. What’s even the point of not doing it like KOF in this case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
The cynic in me thinks the FS 3 character system makes it easier to cover up bad MUs

I'm just puzzled at why it's not done KOF style, it would be much faster to run a match.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 16, 2020

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

No Wave posted:

I imagine the 3 character system is Fantasy Strike trying to flex the fact that there aren't as many mechanical demands to get up and running with multiple characters (idk how true this actually is). In anything even slightly more sophisticated it's pretty hopeless.

This was my main idea, on the simpler fighting games add in picks/bans. I think the riot FG might incorporate this as well since rising thunder wasn't very mechanically challenging or combo depth.

Obviously picks/bans in like Tekken or any vs series would be wack. Could be a fun team tournament idea, basically you ban one of the teams players from that round and try to pick the best matchup for your own team.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Why yall trying to reinvent the infinity gems from the mvci tour

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

sharrrk posted:

banning chars in fgs is so wack.

Agreed

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I like fantasy strike's system. Because it's randomized you play lots of different matchups, as opposed to a KoF style system where you can fall into a rhythm of playing the same matchups every game. You have to win with all 3 of your characters, so your worst character has to carry their weight. I also really enjoy being down 0-2 and trying to reverse sweep their last guy; you get the opportunity to really pick apart their gameplan, but have to translate that to all 3 of your character's strengths.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dhamster posted:

The cynic in me thinks the FS 3 character system makes it easier to cover up bad MUs

I'm just puzzled at why it's not done KOF style, it would be much faster to run a match.

How does KOF work, exactly? Haven't played one before.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Pick 3 people, they last until KO'd and then the next one comes in. Continue until a team is out. You can pick the order at the start.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I like fantasy strike's system. Because it's randomized you play lots of different matchups, as opposed to a KoF style system where you can fall into a rhythm of playing the same matchups every game. You have to win with all 3 of your characters, so your worst character has to carry their weight. I also really enjoy being down 0-2 and trying to reverse sweep their last guy; you get the opportunity to really pick apart their gameplan, but have to translate that to all 3 of your character's strengths.

I guess what I find unsatisfying about it is that the strongest characters tend to get eliminated (if they win), so then you might be picking apart their 3rd best character's gameplan in those situations. Maybe if the roster was a little more fleshed out I would like it better.

Wrist Watch posted:

How does KOF work, exactly? Haven't played one before.

I'm not an expert on the series but it's 3v3, you fight 1 on 1 until someone's KO'd and the next character comes in. Meter persists between rounds so you might pick a character that spends meter well as your anchor, for instance.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I like the fantasy strike system because you are never getting 3 stock Iori'd, and if they play a character that they aren't familiar with then they get punished for it

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In the KOF style of 3v3 the winner of a round gets more health back if they win a round with more time left on the clock, and also I believe the meter cap grows as you get deeper into your lineup, with like 3 bars of meter max on your point character and 5 on your anchor. Smash's Squad Strike is like how KOF 3v3 works.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

A Bystander posted:

Pick 3 people, they last until KO'd and then the next one comes in. Continue until a team is out. You can pick the order at the start.

dhamster posted:

I'm not an expert on the series but it's 3v3, you fight 1 on 1 until someone's KO'd and the next character comes in. Meter persists between rounds so you might pick a character that spends meter well as your anchor, for instance.

Lmao I see my issue now, I missed the post saying Fantasy Strike requiring a win with each of your characters and assumed it was like KOF, so the post saying KOF was different threw me off.

Anyway I think the Fantasy Strike version sounds really awkward.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I could see a mode in a true 3v3 fighter (i.e. 6 people playing) where each team gets one ban, but again this seams really pointless when most of these games have high enough time investment and low enough amount of characters to make this at best a time waster.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Keegers posted:

More fgs should have you select 3 or so characters and have a ban/pick phase before the match. Throws in some counter play and mind games at higher levels and allows for more unique matchups online. I suppose Fantasy strike is able to get away with this style more as the characters are vastly less complex than other fighters.
Did Xrd ever carry over the team battle mode from Accent Core?

As for ban/pick phase. Those should never be implemented in most fighting games for the same reason I wouldn't want fighting games to make mirror matches impossible. Maybe if you had a roster the size of Smash Bros and roughly similar individual complexity. But I think that even then, taking away someone's ability to play a character is a pretty arbitrary way to spice up gameplay. I think putting the teams on rotation is a better solution if variety is the goal.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Okay I think master roshi has one of the best anti airs I've ever seen. It's god drat ridiculous

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

roshi is a lot a goddamn fun

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I havent played dbfz since around when Broly came out, but Roshi 's kit looks really fun

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

dhamster posted:

I guess what I find unsatisfying about it is that the strongest characters tend to get eliminated (if they win), so then you might be picking apart their 3rd best character's gameplan in those situations. Maybe if the roster was a little more fleshed out I would like it better.

Yeah, this is one of my biggest gripes with FS. The game is intentionally full of really bad match-ups and situations, and then Ranked punishes you for it if the random match-ups don't fall your way. I've lost count of the number of times I've lost games due to the random roll deciding to put one of my characters against the two or three characters that fare well against them. On the flip-side, it's really unsatisfying to win a match by beating up on a character that has to guess perfectly to win against whatever characters you have left.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like it when you pick one character to queue and that's it, no counterpicking doh-see-doh BS, and you are simply ranked on a per-character basis. Bad matchups, so what, learn how to deal like Mandy Moore.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

dhamster posted:

I havent played dbfz since around when Broly came out, but Roshi 's kit looks really fun

Is this game any different now? I was so excited for it on launch, then every character played exactly the same and every bnb felt exactly the same. Is there more variety available in the roster... and does it cost $100 in DLC to catch up?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gutcruncher posted:

The team system in Rival Schools is weird, where you pick three and can choose to switch to anyone on your team between rounds. What’s even the point of not doing it like KOF in this case?

In theory you can swerve bad matchups but in reality most of the RS cast is so homogenous you either never switch or you just decide you want to see different animations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Elephunk posted:

Is this game any different now? I was so excited for it on launch, then every character played exactly the same and every bnb felt exactly the same. Is there more variety available in the roster... and does it cost $100 in DLC to catch up?

The characters are still a little same-y and there's still a universal BNB for most characters that you can do

But everything else is way different and a lot better. The change to meter generation after supers and the change to the way assists recharge has made the game less of a set of endless pressure strings and the new characters (from this season at least) are really varied and quite fun.

Most characters have routes other than the universal bnb that offer better damage, better oki, or both as well, so there's a fair amount to learn

Edit: Oh not to mention that every character has 3 assists now, which really helps even out teams and makes more of the field playable. You'll still get a lot of bardock/kid goku teams in tournaments but that's cause, as mentioned above, the characters still have mostly the same gameplans.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Peak Capcom right here

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
There's no bigger sign that someone doesn't play fighting games than when they say something like, "Name a better redemption arc than Capcom's."

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Marin Karin posted:

There's no bigger sign that someone doesn't play fighting games than when they say something like, "Name a better redemption arc than Capcom's."

It's painful how good other modern capcom games are, I really really hope they decide to not go the budget route on SF6

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Granted, Capcom's overall output late this generation has been fantastic as a whole. Even if their fighting game catalogue in particular has been a turd the rest of the company has been doing pretty good.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Oh, for sure. It's just you can tell who plays fgs and who doesn't by if they generalize the praise or specify it :v:

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Elephunk posted:

Its extremely good and way better than launch

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

at the very least, i'm interested in sf6 after learning the behind the scenes stuff about it

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Smoking Crow posted:

at the very least, i'm interested in sf6 after learning the behind the scenes stuff about it

What behind the scenes stuff?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Granted, Capcom's overall output late this generation has been fantastic as a whole. Even if their fighting game catalogue in particular has been a turd the rest of the company has been doing pretty good.

Capcom's overall output is the only reason I feel even remotely optimistic about SF6.

Hell, if SF6 can start off at launch even just a tad better than SFV and MvCI did, that'll be something

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Chaotic Flame posted:

What behind the scenes stuff?

the previous director got pulled for lovely game design and they put an new person behind the helm

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope they use re engine

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Real hurthling! posted:

I hope they use re engine

I assume it's meant to be the replacement for MT Framework, so it would make sense to do that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I was skeptical because mhw was such a mega hit i thought mt would never go away but seeing monhun on switch in re engine makes me now kinda believe they wont be overhauling mt again

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I don't care what engine they use, I hope they make normals and specials that don't suck

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

b_d posted:

I don't care what engine they use, I hope they make normals and specials that don't suck

:yeah:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I would get the impression that given their recent history, Capcom's in full 'Baby Come Back' mode for SF6, but the healthy this is to be as sceptical as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

If it doesn't look like total poo poo visually then it'll already have a massive leg up on 5, even before getting to the gameplay. I can't believe how ugly 5 is. They wanted its toxic avenger rear end to be a massive spectator game?