Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FlocksOfMice posted:

I'm honestly kind of surprised DD was ever that popular. Even for early 2000s, this isn't very GOOD. I can vaguely remember a good two-dozen much, much higher quality comics I got bored of reading even back when I was really into webcomics as a thing. How popular WAS DD at the time? I never even knew of it outside of the CAD mock threads jazz hands references, I never had encountered it in the wild other than a vague memory of a comic with a guy that looked like a poorly drawn Dr. Who ripoff.

Consistency helps. For all its many many many flaws, DD updated liked clockwork.

Consistency has been a long bugbear of webcomics. Consider Megatokyo, which is of the same era as DD, and is still running. Well, running isn't the right word. It moves like a glacier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Yeah what I was mentally comparing this to was megatokyo, which was very much "How To Draw Manga: The Webcomic" which was inexplicably popular for a while, but that did die once updates sort of went to "once a year."

I honestly don't know why I'm so surprised DD was successful, I love atrocity tourism, I know there are utterly horrible fanfictions out there with millions of words that people love for absolutely no coherent reason other than they have no frame of reference for what quality is. DD is just so incredibly juvenile and weak, though. This is messing with my understanding of the world. Even dumb 15 year old me would have looked at this and gone "eh." Dominic isn't impressive enough to be a sufficient power fantasy, the comedy is weak even by early webcomic standards, by all rights this should have vanished into the internet a long time ago. It's incredible.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
lovely nerds love power fantasies about how they are so much smarter than the dumb jocks, and this is basically that but D&D.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It's why the legacy will never bottle that lightning again. Speaking of which:

:nws: for poorly done titties.

Since Snout is a man with no agency, this can only one of two ways: A dream to show just how traumatized Snout is, or she's not a threat and is his new momwife.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh, she didn’t die.

E: this is my entire reaction to the Legacy at this point

“Oh, I guess I didn’t understand what happened because everything is poorly conveyed?”

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh, she didn’t die.

E: this is my entire reaction to the Legacy at this point

“Oh, I guess I didn’t understand what happened because everything is poorly conveyed?”

It wasn't poorly conveyed, it's a clever twist upon your expectations.
"haha you thought she was dead!"

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Yeah, nerds like wish-fulfillment fantasy settings and anime, and this is the beginning of when you could combine the two. Instead of the strong farmboy chosen hero swordfighting with orcs, now you could have a nerdy guy get revenge on mean jocks by outsmarting them and earn a cute docile waifu. Not too cute, she still has a "flaw" that'll prevent anyone trying to take her from you and will keep her from being too confident, but the flaw isn't so bad you wouldn't marry her. Don't worry!

The really lowbrow isekai is just a higher budget DD, and fills that same niche. Anyone who watches Shield Hero would have read DD, too.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Marin Karin posted:

The really lowbrow isekai is just a higher budget DD, and fills that same niche. Anyone who watches Shield Hero would have read DD, too.

This is really true and makes me want to vomit for even hate-reading DD.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

FlocksOfMice posted:

I'm honestly kind of surprised DD was ever that popular. Even for early 2000s, this isn't very GOOD. I can vaguely remember a good two-dozen much, much higher quality comics I got bored of reading even back when I was really into webcomics as a thing. How popular WAS DD at the time? I never even knew of it outside of the CAD mock threads jazz hands references, I never had encountered it in the wild other than a vague memory of a comic with a guy that looked like a poorly drawn Dr. Who ripoff.
You wouldn't happen to remember the names of these comics do you? I'm doing a bit of a nostalgia deep dive.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GrossMurpel posted:

It wasn't poorly conveyed, it's a clever twist upon your expectations.
"haha you thought she was dead!"

How can you tell the difference

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The Oedipus complex is because while Dominic is obviously a self-insert, Mookie admitted that he sees himself most in Donovan.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Oh no what if she's going to be even creepier and skeevier than Ink girl so he can be like 'see see, she's not an abuser, THIS is an abuser!'

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Binged through Trixie Slaughteraxe for President. Everyone reading this thread who hasn't checked it out should. It uses a limited form of second sight in a more interesting way than Mookie could ever dream of writing.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Pyrotoad posted:

Oh no what if she's going to be even creepier and skeevier than Ink girl so he can be like 'see see, she's not an abuser, THIS is an abuser!'

Please let it be this, and please let her actually be much more straightforward and less manipulative. That’s all I want. Let Mookie express his terror of other people’s agency.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Every time Snoot makes that face I think of the "HOOOOH" Stan makes on American Dad.

Also so glad new people are getting on the Thorsby Train, he's like the anti-Mookie in that he knows the limitations of his art abilities so he focuses heavily on character and plot and utilizing art to his advantage.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

TheHan posted:

Maybe it’s just cause I didn’t read a Dominic Deegan arc in full until the post Maltak chapters, but there can’t be a soul out there who remembers arcs like Hello Nurse or even the majority of Ecstasy and Evil.
I remembered most of Ecstasy and Evil due to the blatant racism and misogyny, but did forget about Mominic, Popinic, and Karnak's involvement. I remember only the wifebeating from Hello Nurse, so anything else will be a surprise.

Pyrotoad posted:

"You call that an abuser? This is an abuser!"

Hostile V posted:

Every time Snoot makes that face I think of the "HOOOOH" Stan makes on American Dad.

Also so glad new people are getting on the Thorsby Train, he's like the anti-Mookie in that he knows the limitations of his art abilities so he focuses heavily on character and plot and utilizing art to his advantage.
Me too!

I feel like at times he really takes advantage of it. The limited color palette and crude art makes the extremely graphic violence a lot more unpredictable, which he definitely steers into.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Invisible Clergy posted:

I remembered most of Ecstasy and Evil due to the blatant racism and misogyny, but did forget about Mominic, Popinic, and Karnak's involvement. I remember only the wifebeating from Hello Nurse, so anything else will be a surprise.

"You call that an abuser? This is an abuser!"

Me too!

I feel like at times he really takes advantage of it. The limited color palette and crude art makes the extremely graphic violence a lot more unpredictable, which he definitely steers into.

The wifebeating comes up way after Hello Nurse(which can't really be called an arc, it's just a lovely set of strips about JOCKS) and only serves to uplift the beater in question cause he's really, really sorry he did it

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Baller Ina posted:

The wifebeating comes up way after Hello Nurse(which can't really be called an arc, it's just a lovely set of strips about JOCKS) and only serves to uplift the beater in question cause he's really, really sorry he did it

Oh geez I forgot about that aaaaaaaaAAAA

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Baller Ina posted:

Son of a bitch. I just remembered this arc had Brett and Pam in it, so I thought that's where it came up. I guess I don't remember Hello Nurse then.

Miss posted:

Oh geez I forgot about that aaaaaaaaAAAA
Don't worry. He gets what's coming to him. thanks to Celesto

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
You know once, in the days if the old mock thread, I would have given Mookie the benefit of the doubt and just said he was a young dumbass but now that I remember he had a heroic rapist and a heroic wife-beater... wow, he is virulently misogynistic. Why was he always looking for ways to legitimize and excuse violence towards women?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Because he hates women and jacks off to the thought of them getting hurt and killed. There is a 20 year high mountain of evidence before you.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

HellOnEarth posted:

You know once, in the days if the old mock thread, I would have given Mookie the benefit of the doubt and just said he was a young dumbass but now that I remember he had a heroic rapist and a heroic wife-beater... wow, he is virulently misogynistic. Why was he always looking for ways to legitimize and excuse violence towards women?

Violence towards women makes him horny.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I guess the simplest explanation is the correct one. :stare:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Heliotrope posted:

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President. The guy behind it puts an insane amount of thought behind how creatures, magic, and magic items work in the story. In this case the characters are trying to escape from someone who has a magic item that shows you how you'll die.

I almost decided not to read this and it would've been a terrible mistake, it's legit great. It's like a vehicle just for wild creature concepts and all the different ways you can break a snowglobe.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I'm glad you did. It's a very good comic. I'm enjoying the farce one too.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

TheHan posted:

I almost decided not to read this and it would've been a terrible mistake, it's legit great. It's like a vehicle just for wild creature concepts and all the different ways you can break a snowglobe.

This is not the time to be squeamish! This is the time to make a gigantic pile of squashed animals!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Enough about good webcomics (though I just finished and agree it was great, much better than I thought when I saw the art at first).

That's not why we're here. You're all here to suffer with me.

HellOnEarth posted:

I guess the simplest explanation is the correct one. :stare:

He also 100% thinks like an Incel and hates sexually active women. Like this proto-incel logic is loving everywhere.

Hello nurse is really more of an excuse to get revenge on all the dudes who called Mookie a fag in highschool, by beating them up and making them touch butts so that they are the ones who are gay.

Speaking of which

Chapter 11 Hello, Nurse! [Part 1]

This is another one that just one big dense block in the archives, so I'm splitting it half-way

We're treated to an awkward scene transition so that we see what Greg has been up to while Dom was off in kinky sex land. Nice that no one has spoken to Mom since the Visions of Doom, even thought they have magic telephones.

Here we see Mookie start getting addicted to the cliffhanger. I'm assuming he saw speculation and feedback on fan forums and got invested in it.

Rachel is back, looking literally 100% different

Here's the hook, the jocks are coming to town.

Rachel remains extremly one note. She's a muscle lady who like's makeovers and sexy clothing. That is all.

Greg now manifests super-saiyan auras whenever he wants.

Jacob is such a jerk. Great way to describe trying to murder your brother.

What follows is a painful episode of anime storytelling.

This is how you know Pam is Greg's love interest, because she's almost as insecure and mopey as Luna.

Foreshadowing awful things to come...

This is an important plot point for later.

HERE COME THE CHADS

Here's where I realize that Garrit, who is the scruffy dude to the right, is literally Burke from Starpower. His design is the same.

Now you can tell that these guys are going to be assholes just from the way they are drawn, but maybe they'll be charismatic like Gaston so you can understand why Rachel li....

NEVER MIND. This is going to be the tone from here on out. I'm just gonna get this out of the way here: It's not a problem if an author wants to write chauvinist or misogynistic or homophobic characters. But. Mookie really revels in having these villains drop slurs and insults. I don't think the story justifies how often he's going to use them, it feels more like he's giggling to himself that he said bad words. Especially given how he censors swears everywhere else, it's not a good look.

see?

SEE? Again, Mookie came up with that joke, exactly the style of humour he likes. I think he was chortling to himself when he wrote this strip.

Oh sick burn Mookie! Again this man was in his 20's. The most arrested-development manchild ever.

Greg being a smug prick, and again this weird deferrence to the "law" as a tool to bludgeon your enemies.

"When I grow up, you're not going to be able to shove me in lockers anymore!"

Again, what is this fantasy setting where I guess everybody has a criminal record in a central database, for their medieval football games? and yeah, Slaughterball.

This is the subtle satire Mookie writes.

Oh, you ignoramous. I read fantasy novels and am infinitely smarter than you dumb jocks.

Smoothie bar yep, this is where all pretense of this comic being a medeival fantasy setting is dropped.

Pam waifus into frame...

And you find out that Greg is a sweet innocent little boy. Sorry but the virgin lusting after his pure true sweet hearts, one of whom was a priestess and the other a nurse dresses like a nun, is creepy. In another comic, I would probably dismiss it, but with all the sex negativity that Mookie conveys, it feels aspirational more than anything. Pure virgins in love :barf:

This is where I will say that for all the self-importance and egotism Mookie's little declaration about on drawing horny goat men and big titty ladies, he is right that he was right in the middle of the culture that demonized sex and glorified violence. At least he has some self-awareness there.

quote:

There was a girl named Annie, she had a very pretty face
And not the way you would think so
Let me see if I can try to explain it
She had a smile that could light up the room and if she moved it'd be moving in you
But she wasn't like a magazine, she was just plain Jane
And her name was Annie

This is an awful song. But it just pops into my head everytime I see Pam. It's just what she is. An awful sexist nerd trope. "It's fine that you're not flashy like those other whores, I still think you're hot!"

Pam askes rachel for a makeover.

Failing that Bechdel test...

Garrit is the good one.

This dude's the wife beater btw. We find that out later though. But yeah, he beats his stripper wife

Again, the most over the top caricature. This is like a tumblr asexual talking about all the orgies they think their friends are having all the time.

Brett accurately reading Garrit for being such a spineless turd. As with many characters in DD, Mookie will portray characters as seemingly unreemably evil, but their friends will always stick around. Feels very passive agressive.\

Again tee-hee sex jokes. But like jokes a 15 year old would say.

Oh look, she's Sandra Bullock! Who could have guessed. Except Callan's version of Miss Congeniality ends a little differently.

Sex and Violence! Those horrible sportsdudes!

Go back and try to figure out where Brett learned Greg's name. Hint: He didn't.

Greg steps out to look for Pam, Pam comes back just as Brett, who has shattered his hand, comes to her healing house for help.

For the sin of having but on an absurd sexy outfit, Pam will be punished. Serisosly, is her suit open to the crotch, or she just wearing a borat bikini? Who knows. This is what Mookie thinks lingerie is.

She mentioned greg! That's the dude that Brett now hates! oh no!

Garrit is the good one. Oh, and Pam is another totally meek and insecure, yet actually brilliant lady.

But, like we established in visions of doom, she doesn't have white magic sooooo...

Mookie has an excuse to draw a man violently assaulting a women. Even Amelia's choking or the demons dying are less vicious than this panel. It's so visceral it's a little sickening. This is another one of those stealth awful moments that people forget in favour of Jazz Hands or snowsong.

i guess Brett remembered from the plaque that Greg has white magic. I love how he just comes up with that plan on the fly. No build up, no even foreshadowing where brett might be shown learning about Greg's magic. He just knows it, and you are left to fill in how that might be true.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 18, 2020

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Fuuuuuuucking hell all of those slurs.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Hostile V posted:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Little Death posted:

Jacob is such a jerk. Great way to describe trying to murder your brother.

You don't understand. This isn't "a" crime, this is the crime. Szark gets to live because even though he was a cold-blooded murderer, he wasn't a jerk who was mean to Mookie Dominic. Everyone Every man who dies in Dominic Deegan is a "Jerk."

Hostile V posted:

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

The Little Death posted:

Go back and try to figure out where Brett learned Greg's name. Hint: He didn't.

I think the "etching" is supposed to be an illustration of Greg, so he recognizes him from the picture. And I guess it also mentions he's a white mage? That's just my guess though.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Heliotrope posted:

I think the "etching" is supposed to be an illustration of Greg, so he recognizes him from the picture. And I guess it also mentions he's a white mage? That's just my guess though.

I gues. I still find it funny that this stumbling drunk dude is able to take in this random sign at night and get all the relevant info from it. It just feels wrong.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

What the gently caress's gotta be wrong with you that you draw a woman being brutalized in such a human way and still can't resist drawing her exposed rear end.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Why would you have a healing house with no healers. Is white magic so rare that this makes sense? And if so why is Gregory just allowed to swan about instead of there being like a big push to get white mages to perform healing service since? But then the jocks expected there to be a healer at the healing house. So why are there no healers but it's still a healing house

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Mookie arranges for a ridiculously contrived, innocent, romantic reason for his pure nurse character to dress up as a sexy nurse (but they’re not her clothes) and act sexual, and then she gets brutalized.

This is incredibly gross.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Goddamn this poo poo is super gross. I only ever knew of this comic from the jazz hands stuff, but his hatred of women is all over the place. Always drawing them getting brutalized and in revealing clothes.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Miss posted:

Why would you have a healing house with no healers. Is white magic so rare that this makes sense? And if so why is Gregory just allowed to swan about instead of there being like a big push to get white mages to perform healing service since? But then the jocks expected there to be a healer at the healing house. So why are there no healers but it's still a healing house

Originally it seemed like all magic was learnable with the right knowledge, but since Greg is supposed to have the super saiya-jin white mage gene inside him the universe stealthily retconned itself to white magic being something only special people can do. Either white mages are so common that Deeganland never developed traditional medical care, or it’s rare and they just never bothered looking into it before inventing comic books and smoothie bars.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The Little Death posted:

I gues. I still find it funny that this stumbling drunk dude is able to take in this random sign at night and get all the relevant info from it. It just feels wrong.

This whole arc has been the most contrived bullshit so far, and that’s really saying something in light of some of what we’ve gotten.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I FORGOT ABOUT GARRIT UNTIL NOW OH GOD THE MEMORIES ARE FLOODING BACK NOOOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Codependent Poster posted:

Goddamn this poo poo is super gross. I only ever knew of this comic from the jazz hands stuff, but his hatred of women is all over the place. Always drawing them getting brutalized and in revealing clothes.

Boobs to the camera always too. When Dominic or Greg get punched you see it from behind or at most a side profile. Ladies always have their bodies positions front and centre to the camera.

Then afterwards, the butts.