Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KNR
May 3, 2009
Has he done anything to fix ghost farming? My biggest issue with HD was the combination of the ghost being completely non-threatening and upgrading gems making playing for score needlessly boring. A full hell run was already pretty long and then you had to wait for the ghost and wait for it to float around on nearly every level if you wanted a good score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

KNR posted:

Has he done anything to fix ghost farming? My biggest issue with HD was the combination of the ghost being completely non-threatening and upgrading gems making playing for score needlessly boring. A full hell run was already pretty long and then you had to wait for the ghost and wait for it to float around on nearly every level if you wanted a good score.

Oh yes. The ghost is very different and will gently caress you if you let him hang around.

Spoiler just in case you don't want the details:
After being spawned for 30 seconds he splits in to two ghosts, one of which is super fast and hangs nearby to kinda block you in while the other one is slower but goes straight for you. Dodging them is insanely difficult once the split happens/

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

KNR posted:

If you delay too long once the ghost shows up, a second ghost shows up who is WAY faster who will end you. You can't dance around him like old pokey.

Edit 2: Every map has a cursed jar that contains a diamond, but immediately summons a ghost as well. There are also leprechauns and I believe murdering shopkeepers is more lucrative as well.

Edit: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Spelunky 2 - moon's haunted

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 16, 2020

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Does anyone know how to see your own score/placement on the daily? Seems like a pretty glaring omission

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

poemdexter posted:

area 2 volcano path: there's a big drill on maybe 2-2 or 2-3. I could activate it after reaching area 5 once. read next spoiler if you wanna know where it takes you.
area 2 volcano path (spoiler for previous spoiler): it'll let you access a red area where you fight Vlad (drops red cape with double jump), unlock another character, and get a crown (no idea what crown does yet).

So I just encountered this and it seems like the eye activates it. IDK, perhaps you can activate it without, but after the drill dropped there was a clear graphic of the eye being inserted into the wall like a key. I'd assume you cant use it without the eye

Lizard question
Does anyone know if there's a relationship between the lizards and the beetles? Ive seen a lizard eat one, but all of my attempts to feed several beetles to lizards have failed.

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

Anyone else unable to launch Spelunky 2 after the latest update (1.06)? It hangs on the loading screen and after a minute or so my PS4 shuts off.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Playing Spelunky 2 is fun and also bewildering.

I'm good enough at 1 to regularly beat hell, but I am getting completely wrecked. Only got to 2-1 once so far. I'm also wanting to rush through because I'm so curious to see the new content, which leads to me getting walloped by arrow traps etc.

Feels good to be a noob again. Going to try to avoid spoilers for as long as possible and see what other surprises await.

Just generally speaking, without spoilers, the level layouts seem a _lot_ more antagonistic, whereas each level in 1 had a pretty clear "default path". I'm finding myself needing bombs and ropes just to get to the exit.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Escape Goat posted:

Just generally speaking, without spoilers, the level layouts seem a _lot_ more antagonistic, whereas each level in 1 had a pretty clear "default path". I'm finding myself needing bombs and ropes just to get to the exit.

It’s been a long time since I played 1, but this feels offset a bit by bombs and ropes seeming a bit more available?

Seems like with the ghost pots I’m usually not too desperate about money and I feel like I’m being less thorough in clearing levels than at 1

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I like how the journal shows you a diagram of where you acquired each item throughout a run. Also, after you die, you can press right to see a brief description of your behavior on a run. It'll show where you first took damage and things like if you were vegan or law abiding. It's neat!

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Escape Goat posted:

Playing Spelunky 2 is fun and also bewildering.

I'm good enough at 1 to regularly beat hell, but I am getting completely wrecked. Only got to 2-1 once so far. I'm also wanting to rush through because I'm so curious to see the new content, which leads to me getting walloped by arrow traps etc.

Feels good to be a noob again. Going to try to avoid spoilers for as long as possible and see what other surprises await.

I've been watching a lot of LethalFrag on twitch and he said Spelunky 2 is like starting Spelunky 1 in the temple, which I agree with. I've only been able to watch since I'm waiting for PC release but the new enemy types are brutal, and traps are a lot more common. I'm looking forward to dying horribly over and over in two weeks.

Based on what I've seen him do though I can say there's a lot more hearts available thanks to turkeys, and you can consistently get 3 bombs from the Quillback mini-boss if you take the time to chuck things at him til he dies.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah plus coming at quill back with a turkey and any kind of projectile completely trivializes him.

I feel like In general a good weapon is even more important than it was in spelunky 1. It really helps that yoshis nullify shotgun knockback. It feels like I wind up fighting more things more consistently.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 17, 2020

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
A friend and I tried the online multiplayer and it is broke as hell. We gave up after two runs that stopped at 1-1 because of the stuttering.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Is it me or does the crossbow sort of suck? for 8000 I figured it would at least hit hard if I have to retrieve the ammo every shot..

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I finally finished the last shortcut and made it to the last boss twice, but it's super unclear what you're supposed to do to win. Nothing I was doing was causing any damage as far as I could see. :confused:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chekans 3 16 posted:

A friend and I tried the online multiplayer and it is broke as hell. We gave up after two runs that stopped at 1-1 because of the stuttering.

Yeah don't even bother right now.

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

A mate and I played online co-op for a couple of hours last night and for the most part it was superb. Had some stuttering a few times that always seemed to be when first entering the volcano, that got me killed once. I know Mossmouth said it's using servers so distance shouldn't matter, but we're only a 15 minute walk apart and maybe that was a factor.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I tried both yesterday and today with a few goons and it starts out real bad but halfway playable, mostly with the other player just lagging all over, then devolving into a slideshow and ultimately crashing.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Impermanent posted:

Yeah plus coming at quill back with a turkey and any kind of projectile completely trivializes him.

I feel like In general a good weapon is even more important than it was in spelunky 1. It really helps that yoshis nullify shotgun knockback. It feels like I wind up fighting more things more consistently.

Yeah I actually prefer getting to 1-4 boss with dark mode. It gives you an easy reusable projectile and lets you get his rewards.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

poemdexter posted:

I finally finished the last shortcut and made it to the last boss twice, but it's super unclear what you're supposed to do to win. Nothing I was doing was causing any damage as far as I could see. :confused:

Did you hit it in the face repeatedly?

Just witnessed a korean streamer, jmjdoc pull off a flawless shop steal using a single rope.
(character unlock spoiler)
https://clips.twitch.tv/SquareDreamyButterflyPogChamp

Frag's proposed technique for shop stealing is running out of the shop with an item and jumping over the incoming shot.
https://clips.twitch.tv/SwissUgliestPorpoiseDoritosChip

I haven't seen anyone do the old "bait the shopkeeper to the edge of the shop and place a bomb outside" strat, and from what I've heard in twitch chat the old jumping whip strat doesn't work anymore.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 17, 2020

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Diephoon posted:

Did you hit it in the face repeatedly?

Just witnessed a korean streamer, jmjdoc pull off a flawless shop steal using a single rope.
(character unlock spoiler)
https://clips.twitch.tv/SquareDreamyButterflyPogChamp

Frag's proposed technique for shop stealing is running out of the shop with an item and jumping over the incoming shot.
https://clips.twitch.tv/SwissUgliestPorpoiseDoritosChip

I haven't seen anyone do the old "bait the shopkeeper to the edge of the shop and place a bomb outside" strat, and from what I've heard in twitch chat the old jumping whip strat doesn't work anymore.

I can't remember if I tried that. Kinda sucks that the boss appears to be a background sprite.

Also yeah, the old jumping whip strat absolutely doesn't work anymore. However the shopkeepers are much slower in this game and are pretty easy to jump on after a whip attack. Just gotta make sure there's nothing that can explode in the shop.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I’m playing Spelunky 1 while I wait in PC purgatory. Turns out I still suck at it, haven’t got to the temple in two hours of trying. I’m determined to beat hell before playing 2...

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
If you throw a bomb from exactly the right distance the shopkeeper will shoot it and itll go off in his face.

I don't think its worth it in this game though to be honest, they seem a lot quicker on the trigger than before

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Oh my... I just jumped into a random twitch channel and spoiled myself on some very cool poo poo. This game owns.

Playable character spoiler

You can play as tunnel man and he looks rad as gently caress

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 17, 2020

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Smooshing the shopkeeper with a shield is so hard to resist.

I'm sure many of you know this from Spelunky but just in case you don't, you can pick things up in the shop and the shopkeeper won't attack you until you exit the shop with it. If a shield is in the shop, you can casually move the other items out of the way so that you don't smash them when you smoosh the Shopkeeper.

Brad in Giant Bomb's Quicklook was getting tips from Rorie about doing that but he definitely didn't realize that he could take his time to move items in the shop. He was trying to quickly pickup and kill the shopkeeper in a flurry of inputs.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Brasseye posted:

If you throw a bomb from exactly the right distance the shopkeeper will shoot it and itll go off in his face.

I don't think its worth it in this game though to be honest, they seem a lot quicker on the trigger than before

I still think it's going to be worth depending on what's in the shop/what you have when you get there. It's definitely riskier than in Spelunky 1. Bomb bags (but not boxes?) and jet/hover/power packs explode if shot. I've also seen shopkeepers set up ambush points for the player in later levels after robbing one shop. Shopkeepers are slower but they seem better at finding you, going up/down ladders and such.

e: Making the black market into a sub-level has interesting ramifications, since you can pre-aggro the shopkeepers before you even get in there. Potential gains are huge though, since the guaranteed clover makes it so you can clear it out without worrying as much about the ghost timer. And theoretically you could get a kali altar on the outside of the black market and bring all the shopkeeper bodies to it. Unless you can't bring bodies in/out of sub-levels? I'm not sure if that's possible.

Just saw this sketchy as hell black market run
https://clips.twitch.tv/EnjoyableAcceptableGoblinLeeroyJenkins

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 17, 2020

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Diephoon posted:

Unless you can't bring bodies in/out of sub-levels?

You can’t, sadly.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how do you cure poison

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
Made it to the 5th area for the first time. Now I'm going back and practicing the first area some more, and I swear I think it's the hardest level for some reason. All those traps and lizards and moles

Edit: Also, is there any way to remove poison?

Flyin Jim Elbows fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 18, 2020

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Managed to raid the black market, found the ankh, saw the City of Gold, and got 6-1 before I ate it. I unfortunately died before I got 5, so I couldn't see what the ankh does with the moai head since you get the headdress in the black market now.

Augus posted:

how do you cure poison

You have to bring a dog/cat/gerbil to the end of the level. The +1 hp will instead heal you.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

This game is so incredibly mean.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I'm blowing up so many pet friends. I can't figure out the range and how it works. In Spelunky if there was a solid wall between the explosion and the damsel you could safely bomb without killing her but here it seems to do an area regardless of layout.

I'm also not sure why I've gotten to an exit carrying an idol and I dropped the idol and left without gaining gold for it. It's only happened once. I think a henchman picked up the idol initially maybe that's why? Seems odd if so.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I think the bombs are a solid 5x5 square with the bomb being in the middle. Whereas in the first it was 2 horizontally and vertically with one each diagonal direction.

code:
In 2:     In 1:
XXXXX       X
XXXXX      XXX   
XX0XX     XX0XX
XXXXX      XXX
XXXXX       X

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

This game is so incredibly mean.

I'm bad at it and every time I get to world 2 I feel like the game megatrolls me in some capacity. I'll walk in with 9 hearts just to find some new 1hk way to die.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I feel like beartraps should do like 2 damage and bounce you. It feels weird that such a small think instagibs you.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm sick of fighting Olmec

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I'm bad at it and every time I get to world 2 I feel like the game megatrolls me in some capacity. I'll walk in with 9 hearts just to find some new 1hk way to die.

I find the volcano to be much easier to get through than the jungle. The jungle is really hard to navigate and is full of traps that are easy to overlook. There's a specific enemy in the jungle that is an absolute bastard to deal with. In the volcano your two big instakills are lava which stands out and spike balls. For me, the spike balls are much easier to spot than the mossy spike blocks in the jungle.

My problem in the volcano area is that I overlook the exit and then go from one end to the other trying to find it before realizing it's right there.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Jolo posted:

I find the volcano to be much easier to get through than the jungle. The jungle is really hard to navigate and is full of traps that are easy to overlook. There's a specific enemy in the jungle that is an absolute bastard to deal with. In the volcano your two big instakills are lava which stands out and spike balls. For me, the spike balls are much easier to spot than the mossy spike blocks in the jungle.

My problem in the volcano area is that I overlook the exit and then go from one end to the other trying to find it before realizing it's right there.

Yeah the Volcano seems easier to me as well, however I did a lot of jungle yesterday to practice it and it feels like I come out of it better equipped maybe? Like crates seems more common there or something. I got into the area you can access with the eye in volcano yesterday, was pretty brutal. Was draculas castle with loads of vampires, 4 helpers in coffins to break and then Dracula himself at the top with a crown and his cape as rewards for beating him. Took me a bit, the vampires hosed me up pretty bad and then after finally beating Dracula himself I died on an arrow trap on the way out that I'd missed. I suspect the crown lets you pull the sword in the stone you can find in the water levels later.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yeah the hidden area in the volcano is absolutely nightmarish

because the drill will probably plow through a lava pool on the way down, which means that accessing the bottom involves dodging random lava blobs that are falling from off screen. I've used the drill about 10 times total now and I think I've only had one run where it didn't go through lava.

I personally found the jungle to be easier than the volcano because the it feels like jumps are easier to pull off. Also you can get boomerangs pretty easy which trivializes most enemies. In the volcano you have robots who can reflect shotgun bullets, lava imps, fire spitting rockdogs, and so many instagibs.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Are there ways to manipulate lava? I think I've seen someone whip it out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

After blowing up many pets by misjudging bomb range, I took a bit this morn just bombing areas in 1-1 to figure out where bombs actually blow up. Here's what I've got:

Unlike Spelunky 1, picking up a bomb doesn't seem to change how large its explosion range is.

I haven't tested this out with paste. If I had to guess, I'd bet that in addition to having a left and right side, tiles also have a bottom/top and if placed at the top of a tile (like sticking to a tile from underneath) I think it'd probably blow up 2 tiles above and 1 below. In Spelunky 1 you could place a bomb on the seam exactly between two tiles and get a larger explosion and I haven't messed with that yet. It's difficult to get bomb placement exactly where you want it without the paste.

So if you put a bomb up against the right edge here, you're good: [#] [#] [:regd09:]

But not if the layout is like this: [#] [:staredog:]