Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Animal-Mother posted:

The walk-ins have been getting cleaned out these past few days. They have to give us 15 days notice if there will be a layoff. So maybe they're expecting we'll all take vacation time for those 15 days? That's certainly what I'll do instead of sitting in an empty dining hall for two weeks.

They probably have to cut you a check for unused vacation time,so they'd rather not have to do that and pay you to sit in an empty dining room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1306037715012587522
Ahem,

Confirm/deny?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I’m front of house and I wear my chuck tingle masks with pride in the dining room. Love is real you fucks.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I will say that I hate the plastic full face shields that some of my BOH coworkers wear. I get they're supposed to be cooler in a hot kitchen, but the problem is two-fold: one, they really muffle and distort your voice. Two, the wearer hears their own voice bouncing off the plastic, so they dont speak/yell as loud as they normally would.

The result is I can't hear or understand them for poo poo when they call for a drop or "behind" when I've got all my fry baskets sizzling, under a noisy vent hood. They're dangerous if you're carrying a hot stockpot behind me and I can't hear you because you sound like Charlie Brown's teacher in a fishbowl whispering "hot behind".

Obviously not saying "no masks", I wear mine without complaint (and thanks to being a cook, I already had 673 bandannas when this poo poo broke out). But I do wish we wouldn't allow those.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They also do practically jack poo poo by themselves. They're for medical staff who are also wearing mouth coverings and what not to protect from infection entering through they're eyes if a patient coughs or sneezes in their face.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

They also do practically jack poo poo by themselves. They're for medical staff who are also wearing mouth coverings and what not to protect from infection entering through they're eyes if a patient coughs or sneezes in their face.

Not surprised. My KM is a very bizarre Trump-supporting lesbian (I still dont get that, either) who thinks masks are stupid*, and no one wears them before we open at 6 and close at 2. It's the industry equivalent of airport/TSA "security theater", we only go "shields up!" when we're open.

*If I sneeze after making 15 lbs of dredge, flour and pepper everywhere, while wearing my mask, she feels the need to crack wise "Masks are really working! Keeping us safe!" and I have to chomp so hard on my tongue, I taste pennies

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Exactly. They're a splash guard, you're still spraying contamination out the bottom if you're not wearing a closer fitting mask beneath it.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not surprised. My KM is a very bizarre Trump-supporting lesbian (I still dont get that, either) who thinks masks are stupid*, and no one wears them before we open at 6 and close at 2. It's the industry equivalent of airport/TSA "security theater", we only go "shields up!" when we're open.

*If I sneeze after making 15 lbs of dredge, flour and pepper everywhere, while wearing my mask, she feels the need to crack wise "Masks are really working! Keeping us safe!" and I have to chomp so hard on my tongue, I taste pennies

Get her fired. It'll be fun and it's the right thing to do.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

marshalljim posted:

Get her fired. It'll be fun and it's the right thing to do.

Nobody deserves to be fired in the middle of a plague.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
People who are actively spreading the plague to their customers and coworkers do.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 18, 2020

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Not surprised. My KM is a very bizarre Trump-supporting lesbian
:catstare:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, she's like Log Cabin Republicans, I just can't wrap my head around it. Also thinks BLM is a bunch of hooey, yet her ex --- who still works there --- is black. Shes, uh, a piece of work. She's in her 60s and went to Catholic school so my armchair psych guess is a whoooole lot of internalized phobia/hate.

Anyways, enough about her. We finally got a 2nd fryer, so now I have 4 baskets. Being used to 2, just having a third one was a delight. The grill/flattop guys decided to play with 4th one, and started deep frying everything from their side. So today i tried deep fried:

Fried egg (I dubbed that Fried Egg Squared)
Country ham
Bacon
Brisket
Hamburger (turns into beef flavored chewing gum)
French toast (that poo poo was fire)
Pancake (kinda like a big flat funnel cake)
Garden Grown (our in house veggie burger)
...and a few others I think I missed

By the time we deep fried an Atomic Fireball (and they grilled one, too, For Science) we were laughing so hard we were missing callouts for drops.

Dare I say, I had... fun??? On a Saturday?!

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 19, 2020

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yeah, she's like Log Cabin Republicans, I just can't wrap my head around it. Also thinks BLM is a bunch of hooey, yet her ex --- who still works there --- is black. Shes, uh, a piece of work. She's in her 60s and went to Catholic school so my armchair psych guess is a whoooole lot of internalized phobia/hate.

Anyways, enough about her. We finally got a 2nd fryer, so now I have 4 baskets. Being used to 2, just having a third one was a delight. The grill/flattop guys decided to play with 4th one, and started deep frying everything from their side. So today i tried deep fried:

Fried egg (I dubbed that Fried Egg Squared)
Country ham
Bacon
Brisket
Hamburger (turns into beef flavored chewing gum)
French toast (that poo poo was fire)
Pancake (kinda like a big flat funnel cake)
Garden Grown (our in house veggie burger)
...and a few others I think I missed

By the time we deep fried an Atomic Fireball (and they grilled one, too, For Science) we were laughing so hard we were missing callouts for drops.

Dare I say, I had... fun??? On a Saturday?!

Shhhhhhh. 2020 will hear you.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

you have some of those glutino gluten free english muffins? Those taste amazing when dropped into a fryer with a poached egg ontop with some yogurt

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fryer bacon is good when you need it fast. Fryer peppers & onions is also hella valid, just be sure to drain them well either way.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Deep-fried French toast is absolutely a thing. Try stuffing it with custard.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

The special this week is a panko-crusted fried pork chop with apple butter on a cheddar biscuit. It's pretty tight.

All day I kept giggling and occasionally blurting "pork chop sandwiches!" when I had to drop one. Not a one person got the reference, leaving me to wonder if I'm old (that meme's from what, 15, 20 years ago? Some of my guys werent even born yet) or just the only terminally online person there. :(

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Every so often I find myself going “who wants a body massage” and thankfully it hasn’t been around anyone but my dog

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
One of life’s greatest joys is telling my kids to “stop all the downloading” and having them get very confused.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

The special this week is a panko-crusted fried pork chop with apple butter on a cheddar biscuit. It's pretty tight.

All day I kept giggling and occasionally blurting "pork chop sandwiches!" when I had to drop one. Not a one person got the reference, leaving me to wonder if I'm old (that meme's from what, 15, 20 years ago? Some of my guys werent even born yet) or just the only terminally online person there. :(

As another terminally online person I would make that joke constantly, and then every once in a while “my god that smelled delicious”

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I can sing "pork chop sandwiches" but its so deep in the recesses of my mind I couldn't tell you the source.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I'm thinking about the "Frankfurter sandwiches" song now that I think about it. Still don't know where any of this old meme bullshit is from.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 22, 2020

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Nice catch blanco niño. To bad your rear end got saaaaaaaaaacked

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Restaurants here now have to register everyone who comes by, yet there's no masks, and not much in the way of capacity restrictions (try to keep st least 1m between each party). Public transportation is packed and maskless and most people have gone back to work so I don't think this will do much good.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

thotsky posted:

Restaurants here now have to register everyone who comes by, yet there's no masks, and not much in the way of capacity restrictions (try to keep st least 1m between each party). Public transportation is packed and maskless and most people have gone back to work so I don't think this will do much good.

Whaaaa? Like, take their names or something? I'm perplexed as to what that does, let alone how it's implemented. Does everyone show ID? ('Cause lord knows when I make reservations or a pick-up order, I tend to give "Jackie Dempsey" since no one can pronounce my actual, legal last name. Plus it amuses me.)

Out of curiosity, what country is this?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

It's been in place in my (most?) Canadian provinces. One person from the party gives a time, name and phone number. If your public health system isn't already hilariously overloaded then it helps with contact tracing if you can say who was in the restaurant at a time when there was a case and tell them to get tested.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

TVsVeryOwn posted:

It's been in place in my (most?) Canadian provinces. One person from the party gives a time, name and phone number. If your public health system isn't already hilariously overloaded then it helps with contact tracing if you can say who was in the restaurant at a time when there was a case and tell them to get tested.

Yeah. I'm in Ontario and that's how we're handling it. We've been asked to keep records of all groups that come in for I think 2-3 weeks?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Man, that sounds like such a pain for FOH, I'm sorry. Still --- do y'all ask for ID, or just take it on my word that my name is Mike Hunt and my number is (540) 420-6969? I guarantee that if this was implemented in the States, a good portion of your records would be absolute junk from the "the virus isn't that big a deal" types giving fake info. And if you asked for ID, people would be screaming holy hell that it's the lizard people Illuminati tracking your whereabouts and calling to boycott all restaurants.

edit: I'm really tempted to call that number now and see if anyone in my city has it.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 22, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Fellow Ontarian here: none of the places I've been to verify the name or phone number, and only one person from the party has to put it down.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Man, that sounds like such a pain for FOH, I'm sorry. Still --- do y'all ask for ID, or just take it on my word that my name is Mike Hunt and my number is (540) 420-6969? I guarantee that if this was implemented in the States, a good portion of your records would be absolute junk from the "the virus isn't that big a deal" types giving fake info. And if you asked for ID, people would be screaming holy hell that it's the lizard people Illuminati tracking your whereabouts and calling to boycott all restaurants.

edit: I'm really tempted to call that number now and see if anyone in my city has it.

They're already doing that when asked to write it down on a piece of paper. The freaking out and calling it an illuminati plot I mean.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

Fellow Ontarian here: none of the places I've been to verify the name or phone number, and only one person from the party has to put it down.

Pretty much this. I haven't heard of too many people causing issues. In my own place, we're only taking dine-in by reservation so it's just the information we'd normally ask for anyway.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Whaaaa? Like, take their names or something? I'm perplexed as to what that does, let alone how it's implemented. Does everyone show ID? ('Cause lord knows when I make reservations or a pick-up order, I tend to give "Jackie Dempsey" since no one can pronounce my actual, legal last name. Plus it amuses me.)

Out of curiosity, what country is this?

Names, contact information, the time and duration of their stay and if possible where in the restaurant they spent their time.
It's to be used for contact tracing; it's still early days, but it seems like some places are asking drop-in guests to register with their online booking services before seating them.

Norway.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

My situation is pretty simple, since it's a members only club we've always had everyone's contact info saved in a database. The only changes we've had to make are mandating reservations and disallowing walk-ins and requiring all guests names upon reservations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The place I went for lunch today had a sheet and a pen. No ID check. Gonna make matters worse as you eat with your hands and there was no antibac. Everyone is fingering that pen.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

thotsky posted:

The place I went for lunch today had a sheet and a pen. No ID check. Gonna make matters worse as you eat with your hands and there was no antibac. Everyone is fingering that pen.

That's crazy dumb. Why wouldn't they just go buy some pens on Amazon and have a "clean" jar and a "dirty" jar?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Coasterphreak posted:

That's crazy dumb. Why wouldn't they just go buy some pens on Amazon and have a "clean" jar and a "dirty" jar?

My procedure when using a pen is to use it and then use the provided sanitizer. If there's no sanitizer then god help you.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
This drives me up the loving wall, do not label the jars "clean" and "dirty"

Try 'sanitized' and 'used' instead, so that the jars actually reflect their intended purpose

Someone using a pen doesnt make it dirty, for fucks' sake

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

postmodifier posted:

Try 'sanitized' and 'used' instead, so that the jars actually reflect their intended purpose

Writing is only dirty if it's done right.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

postmodifier posted:

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Sorry, I work in a public-facing essential job where people have to fill out paperwork, and go through hundreds of pens a day, this one particular thing irks me to no end