Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why even have online pre-orders if they're just going to instantly self-DDOS your own servers?

What’s the alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Hoppin Tin posted:

I seriously think Sony did this clusterfuck on purpose to create overhyped demand. OMG THEY ALL SOLD OUT IN 30 SECONDS, MUST BE BETTER THAN JESUS'S DICK. GOTTA GET ONE.

Maybe MS uses this "clusterfuck" to their advantage?

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe

quote:

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

I'll give you that one.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

My wife was pissed she missed the first time, so she’s been sitting here for 40 minutes going :f5: and eventually got one! :swoon: she had a few close calls, so it wasn’t just a fluke.

Apparently they keep adding some over time so you guys may want to keep trying.

E: Walmart

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just got one from Target!

edit: To clarify - I tried to add one to the cart when it went live earlier today. However I got immediately booted, but Target does this thing where they put the "oh this item is out of stock now" item in a "saved for later" portion of your cart. There's an "add to cart" button under it so I just spammed it for like 2 hours.

90% of the time it would just immediately refresh as out of stock.
8% of the time I could get to "added to cart, go to checkout!" but then immediately get booted as out of stock right after that.
1.9% of the time it would get to "place order" but then ... see above.

0.1% it went through!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 18, 2020

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Ivalice does rule but i seriously doubt they ever revisit that setting again

I dunno. I got huge Ivalice tones from the trailer. It's was Game of thrones before Game of Thrones (since it was inspired by the same 100 year war). And all the check boxes are ticked off for an Ivalice game: darker more mature plot, insanely convoluted political bullshit, chocobo knights.

The thing about Ivalice is that it spans from golden age of magic and technology to dark ages with neother with thousands of years separating the games. This game could easily slot in there.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Keep trying Walmart they just came back and sold out again

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Rad Valtar posted:

Keep trying Walmart they just came back and sold out again

That “get in stock alert” feature is less than useless.
“Hey, we had stock, but it’s gone now! Jump loser jump!”

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

CaptainCrunch posted:

That “get in stock alert” feature is less than useless.
“Hey, we had stock, but it’s gone now! Jump loser jump!”

There’s no point in using that stuff, but I’m seeing people having success just ramming through their cart again and again into the checkout.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Got the telegram notification and checked out within 10 seconds. I wasn't aware Walmart had even set a specific time.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Shirkelton posted:

There’s no point in using that stuff, but I’m seeing people having success just ramming through their cart again and again into the checkout.

Can’t ram it through the cart if you can’t add it to your cart.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shirkelton posted:

What’s the alternative?
I don't know, I'm not a computer guy.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

just as a qualifier, here's the order I played in BB>DS3>DeS>DS1>Sekiro>DS2

It's all worth playing but BB is goat and the game that best represents gen 8. Play BB -> DS3 -> then the older titles if you're hooked. Don't sleep on Sekiro, it's different but really something special.

BB and DS3 go extremely well together. If DS1 is ruined by playing BB then it's just another sign that DS1 is not as good as its stratospheric reputation suggests!

I played BB>DS3>DS2 until I realized it was trash>DS1

I would almost recommend DS1 first because going back to it after beating BB/DS3 makes it so crazy easy. Everything moves so slow, and you can really tell how much that game acted as the blueprint for the following games, so you already know how to beat everything, now you’re just doing it at half speed.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't know, I'm not a computer guy.

There's literally no mitigation sufficient for the task at hand so stores are doing the best they can.

The only way to stop people from spinning up bots to grab preorders at this point, as sophisticated as the tools are, is to figure out who they are and lock them in a closet or something.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Man there are so many new games that are about to be open to me. Also, I'm really looking forward to using a PS5 controller on mY PC.

So far this is the list of games I'm interested in

God of War (and the Sequel when it comes out)
Last of Us, Last of Us 2
Persona 5
Bloodborne
Demon's Souls Remake
FF XVI
Destruction All Stars
Spider Man, Miles Morales
Harry Potter
Nier Automata (I didn't like the performance even on my way overspecced computer)
Ghost of Tushshima
Horizon Forbidden West

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Nail Rat posted:

There's literally no mitigation sufficient for the task at hand so stores are doing the best they can.

The only way to stop people from spinning up bots to grab preorders at this point, as sophisticated as the tools are, is to figure out who they are and lock them in a closet or something.

Only allow orders from residential addresses, verify them for smart assess (st vs street) no po boxes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

eonwe posted:

Man there are so many new games that are about to be open to me. Also, I'm really looking forward to using a PS5 controller on mY PC.

So far this is the list of games I'm interested in

God of War (and the Sequel when it comes out)
Last of Us, Last of Us 2
Persona 5
Bloodborne
Demon's Souls Remake
FF XVI
Destruction All Stars
Spider Man, Miles Morales
Harry Potter
Nier Automata (I didn't like the performance even on my way overspecced computer)
Ghost of Tushshima
Horizon Forbidden West

If you're gonna play P5 at this point I'd just wait for Royal to go on sale, but good list

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
and the only way to stop issues like the PS5 preorder debacle or multiplayer game launches is to way overallocate expensive cloud resources for a problem that will go away just by waiting

companies are probably just straight up not going to bother spending money for issues like this

Arist posted:

If you're gonna play P5 at this point I'd just wait for Royal to go on sale, but good list

oh I didn't realize there was a separate version, ill look into it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

eonwe posted:

Yeah it’s pretty much a straight upgrade of the original with another party member, more story content, etc. It goes on sale for $40 pretty regularly

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

eonwe posted:

Yeah it'll be more expensive (especially since it's not part of that PS+ collection) but if you're going to play ~100 hours of a videogame it should probably be the better version of that game.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah it’s pretty much a straight upgrade of the original with another party member, more story content, etc. It goes on sale for $40 pretty regularly

I'm playing Persona 5, about 35-40 hours in, I thought Persona 5 Royal necessarily follows Persona 5 mainline? Is this not right? I like the game a lot so I wouldn't want to skip either way, but it doesn't seem like Royal replaces mainline from what I know.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shammypants posted:

I'm playing Persona 5, about 35-40 hours in, I thought Persona 5 Royal necessarily follows Persona 5 mainline? Is this not right? I like the game a lot so I wouldn't want to skip either way, but it doesn't seem like Royal replaces mainline from what I know.

it does, it's the original game with more plot

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

it does, it's the original game with more plot

So how does it work exactly? Do I have to redo elements? Did I waste time that will be repeated?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Shammypants posted:

So how does it work exactly? Do I have to redo elements? Did I waste time that will be repeated?

It’s Persona 5, but more. Yeah, you’d have to redo stuff if you played one after the other.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

bought P5R a few months ago when i got the idea that i needed to try all the ps4 exclusives i missed out on

are there any fans of the game that don't necessarily like anime/manga? it feels pretty boring and melodramatic with kinda poo poo graphics. am i a dumb person for thinking i'd like if it for gameplay alone?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

ShoogaSlim posted:

bought P5R a few months ago when i got the idea that i needed to try all the ps4 exclusives i missed out on

are there any fans of the game that don't necessarily like anime/manga? it feels pretty boring and melodramatic with kinda poo poo graphics. am i a dumb person for thinking i'd like if it for gameplay alone?

The gameplay is mostly the story. You're not going to like it.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Shirkelton posted:

It’s Persona 5, but more. Yeah, you’d have to redo stuff if you played one after the other.

This. There are new events/confidants scattered throughout the game, and they added new ways to get around the dungeon and reworked boss fights so that they make more sense (the Madarame fight is almost completely redone) so the "Royal" part isn't just new endgame stuff. Although there is a new ending that leads into P5 Strikers, the sequel.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not an anime or manga guy and I'm not even a Persona guy, but I really enjoyed 5, it's definitely melodramatic, but I thought it looked really good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

I wasn't thinking about that, just the sheer volume of legitimate orders that will appear in the first 30 seconds after they open the page.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

What the...

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Cloks posted:

this is why i preordered a disc PS5. i need to start buying physical copies of games i'm not 100% sure of. i'd rather get back like 10% of my original investment and not be "stuck" with a game forever that i'm never gonna play anymore

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Final Fantasies have a distinct enough style that basically anyone who knows the series could tell it was an FF game within 5 seconds

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, the graphics aren't sophisticated in a pure hardware sense (they worked on the PS3 as well after all), just in a stylistic sense.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

e: what sanders said ^

it has interesting art direction but the actual gameplay in the dungeon (the first one at least, i was too bored to progress much further than that) felt extremely washed out and mundane. plus the enemies were very clunky looking

when it shows actual hand drawn(?) anime faces and cutscenes is where it shines the most

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Spelunky 2 is harder than Ghost of Tsushima

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Final Fantasies have a distinct enough style that basically anyone who knows the series could tell it was an FF game within 5 seconds

The campfire video was kind of reminiscent of FFX intro

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

every portrait:
O_O
every model:
o___o

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf4wmN0u8S8

You've come a long way, Demon's.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Jose Oquendo posted:

Some of the Turtle Beach headsets offer independent chat and game volume sliders which is a feature I've come to reallllllly like. Most other sets just turn one down/raise the other, which is ok. The only headset I came across aside from the Turtlebeach ones with that feature is an Astro set, but I ran into issues with it so I had to return it.

Yeah that was my reason for liking them, I don't know how they came up with a function for the PS Golds (and I assume platinums) of the game volume down/chat volume up and vice versa. You can never get it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Cloks posted:

I mean it has incredible art and interface design, great music, a cool sense of humor, and some of the best turn based combat in rpg history :shrug: It also tells a story about societal corruption that, while melodramatic...is pretty loving relevant to our moment. Like, even before Epstein hit the mainstream that game was pretty satisfyingly :crackping: