Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Inertial Drift trip report hour 30 minute summation: the control gimmick is pretty fun.

PROTIP: Start button skips horrendous story cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Paradise Killer has really good aesthetics and the music is fun (except for that reggae beat track), the setting is completely bonkers especially if you don't get the backstory of the islands in full when you visit the ziggurat. The only real issue I have with the investigation is that a fairly important twist / discovery is hidden at a place that isn't well foreshadowed and completely took me by surprise when I found it by exploring some random cliffs. The "epilogue" also doesn't change regardless of the trial results save the number of people you can still interact with.

my before I play advice to Paradise Killer are
- you can't die from falling. You will respawn at a phone if you fall in deep water (usually near the yacht)
- spend the money at all 3 footbaths, they give quality of life movement controls that will make you drown in cash
- buy all the secrets from crimson acid
- the "crest" puzzles only get you more cash. The "nightmare computers" lead to investigation clues so upgrade them (you must do this manually upon obtaining the upgrades)
- maximize all relationship points with all characters. The "come back later" message will go away after approximately 5 to 10 minutes in real time, if there's a change in the day / night cycle that's more than enough time
- cash priority should be : footbaths, 1 starlight upgrade, vending machine drinks (10), secrets, phone fast travel unlocks, drinks with Sam. Then you only need it for traveling.
- think vertically. A lot of solutions are high on top and some are at the bottom
- your ultimate aim is to empty out all the questions in your case notes
- if you got all the case notes answered, at the final trial you can accuse anybody as long as it is possible to make a case regardless of how tenuous it may be, and the judge will accept it. You can kill either only the scapegoat alone or even have every single person executed - neither of these are the true ending.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
without that secret cave there's pretty much no evidence pointing at some of the culprits. even with how lenient the trial is, i'd be surprised if you could get them convicted.

also, i had to look up the location of the last starlight upgrade. pretty much everything of importance needs the full set to unlock.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Oh hello I am the publisher of this game and came here to post this.

Check it out, it's a really, really ambitious game. We've got 75% of the game systems in but only about 10% of the content. We've got a really big roadmap of stuff coming in Early Access and we think this thing is a proper forever game.

Here's the trailer we got Naomi Nagata from The Expanse to do the VO for!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLkhM1v6AFw

I watched the trailer for this last night and was thinking "whoever is doing the VO is doing a really good impression of Naomi from the Expanse"

Was enough for me to grab it anyway!

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Fatty posted:

My advice for Paradise Killer, look out for footbaths. I walked past them so many times, before realising you can pay them for upgrades. I've found three so far, and they're game changing, and not very well signposted.

yes that was a pleasant surprise. I was flush with crystals and thought, eh why not. Thank god I did!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Picked this one up to try it out. It's a neat take on the strategy genre - imagine FTL or Slay the Spire where you're trying to make your way through a branching path, except instead of RTS or deck management, you're city building and task/resource managing.

The mechanics seem solid, but the game play itself is hampered by the art design - there are a lot of places where instead of "what would provide clear information to allow players to make decisions" they went "what would be the most stylish?" and so it's much harder than it needs to be to understand what your people are doing and what they need to do. I can't tell yet if the game is challenging, or if the game is easy but parsing the UI is the challenge.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Stormworks is officially releasing on Thursday (2020-09-17) and will go up in price, but the early access has been pretty great with weekly updates adding tons of stuff in the march to release.

If you're into:

- voxel builders
- in-game scripting
- complicated yet simplified pseudo-simulator :spergin: mechanics
- oceans
- planes
- helicopters
- and maybe rescuing jagged people

This is a good game. I've sunk 500+ hours into it over the past year just pretty much in the workbench alone, building things and experimenting with building things. You have a bunch of primitives for engines (and soon completely modular engines), mechanics, equipment, and screens you can draw with Lua. Just tons of well-made mechanics for putting stuff together. It's got an OK community that skews young but the best stuff usually rises to the top of the workshop, so it's pretty easy to just click something and have workable vehicles and equipment in game. They're releasing new stuff with 1.0 that's going to be super cool and exciting but the best bump I can give this game is that it is just endlessly engrossing and replayable.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Star Renegades kind of owns so far.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

Picked this one up to try it out. It's a neat take on the strategy genre - imagine FTL or Slay the Spire where you're trying to make your way through a branching path, except instead of RTS or deck management, you're city building and task/resource managing.

The mechanics seem solid, but the game play itself is hampered by the art design - there are a lot of places where instead of "what would provide clear information to allow players to make decisions" they went "what would be the most stylish?" and so it's much harder than it needs to be to understand what your people are doing and what they need to do. I can't tell yet if the game is challenging, or if the game is easy but parsing the UI is the challenge.

For what it's worth when I tried the demo I felt it was just too busy.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Ms Adequate posted:

It throws a lot at you in the tutorial, but once i started playing i was hooked. I think they can flush out some of the home base bonus stuff a little, but all in all a great game.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

I agree. My PC crashed right before the last fight in world 4 (not the game's fault, been running memtest for the past 4.5 hours trying to troubleshoot longstanding problems).

I'm still on my first run. If you're the kinda person who spent 10 minutes per turn in Into The Breach, expect to do the same in Star Renegades.

There is a lot of information to consider each turn with respect to turn order, staggering enemies, status effects, and the way they all interact with each other. SR does a pretty good job communicating what each attack does, but I also wish there was a 1-time-per-battle reset round button like in Into The Breach.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a shame you can't have saboteur and marksman hook up because when i play they are essentially already married. blitz and killshot two-shot the majority of normal enemies in the game and still do loads of damage on anything else.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

and then (spoiler to post-run mechanics)Sab becomes the new boss and you cry from being denied Blitz

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

unlock the implant that gives +10/20 stagger to all attacks and lets light attacks hit the back row and turn any character into saboteur :science:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Terra Nil is a reverse city-builder where you're working to rebuild ecosystems on devastated land in the wake of an ecological disaster. It was explicitly created as a counter to games like Factorio that are all about turning alien landscapes into stripmined hellscapes and especially with all the wildfires raging across the planet right now it's really cathartic. It's still in development but it's also pay-what-you-want including just downloading it for free.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Terra Nil is a reverse city-builder where you're working to rebuild ecosystems on devastated land in the wake of an ecological disaster. It was explicitly created as a counter to games like Factorio that are all about turning alien landscapes into stripmined hellscapes and especially with all the wildfires raging across the planet right now it's really cathartic. It's still in development but it's also pay-what-you-want including just downloading it for free.

This game is impressive! It's fun and calming, and a lot of the time when these "Let's subvert all the violence in games!" games come out, they don't manage to replace the violence they're subverting with interesting mechanics. I played through the first three stages and I liked how not only do you get an interesting challenge in the layout of your terraforming buildings to paint the wasteland green, but then the game switches over to a Phase 2 where you have to systematically tear down all of the terraforming buildings you created while restoring the atmosphere, then recycle everything and launch it off-planet in a recycled rocket.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Sleeveless posted:

This looks pretty cool, but it also made me wish for a full-on complex ecosystem sim. Like, cross this with Equilinox and Cloud Gardens and a bit of SimEarth.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

BPM - Bullets Per Minute just got released

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256783829/movie480_vp9.webm

It seems good so far, got some FPS issues though for some reason.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I wonder if any of them have caught the "slay hoardes of monsters" typo in the trailer now that it's out in the wild and too late to fix lmao :rip: It looks pretty dope though as does Terra Nil which I'm grabbing to have a look at

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Sleeveless posted:

This is a really fun game, thanks!

Edit: also therapeutic since my outdoors has been wildfire smoke for the past week

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I did a quick search, and can't find any discussion past Feb of Godhood. I only just discovered it a couple days ago, and I'm psyched! Renowned Explorers is one of my all time favs, and I didn't realise Abbey Games were even working on a new game. Sad to hear of their tribulations, but from the sounds of it, Godhood has had a lot of revisions, and is now a complete, good game. So far I've only played to just past the first boss, and it has been fun.

The game scratches a few good itches for me. Turn based management strategy, the ability to win "fights" with your words, no tactical control in fights, lots and lots of development / build options, a new system with unfamiliar names for stats, resources, elements, and plenty of information to read and learn.
Also: a chill soundtrack.

Allow me to bless your dreams. Play Godhood.

Then tell me what I'm supposed to do in this game. I'm so confused and overwhelmed! But it's fun at the same time

Love Machine
Sep 7, 2012

Batteries not included.
Terra Nil has been a really fun and chill experience, thanks for the heads up on this! Really scratches that itch for a chill puzzle game.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Wingspan just came out, looks chill and good

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/256789966/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1599215692

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

the board game is mediocre at best but swept board game awards so thoroughly last year that people still joke about it winning awards for "best board game podcast" and "best coop game." it is neither a podcast nor a coop game.

my group played it 3 times and has zero desire to play more.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

ketchup vs catsup posted:

the board game is mediocre at best but swept board game awards so thoroughly last year that people still joke about it winning awards for "best board game podcast" and "best coop game." it is neither a podcast nor a coop game.

I find it to be extremely dull but it's hard to put the finger on why. Maybe I'm just over points gathering games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Osmosisch posted:

I find it to be extremely dull but it's hard to put the finger on why. Maybe I'm just over points gathering games.

As other people touched on when I posted Terra Nil there is a very loud and very annoying school of thought in current gaming criticism where making games that are not violent, confrontational, or even particularly exciting or intense in any way is held an inherently superior and ethical approach to game design. This makes it incredibly hard to get a good read on whether a game that fits into that criteria is actually good or just something that people are praising or signal boosting out of some sense of moral or social obligation, especially when it's a game that is superficially related to a greater issue like ecology or mental health.

Not to say that these aren't valid or even admirable ideas, or that games that are actually good can come out of such pursuits. But it does make it hard to separate the signal from the noise whenever one of them comes out and is suddenly getting a lot of attention with no real deeper praise or discussion beyond the fact that it's "chill" or "relaxing".

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

BPM: Bullets Per Minute absolutely whips rear end. it's feels so good to play. It's kind of like Crypt of the Necrodancer in that it presents a familiar genre and then expects you to act on the beat, except of course its a shooter so your actions are shooting, reloading and dodging. It makes you feel really connected to the music tracks, which are also super catchy. Guns and actions can either be performed once per beat or twice per beat, and reloading is often a multi-step procedure (press reload twice on the half-beat to reload your pistol) so its a bit to keep track of, and when it clicks it REALLY clicks. Then you pick up the shotgun and its mechanically different (shoot->shoot to reload and pump the shotgun, 3 reload actions to reload).

Basically imagine Crypt of the Necrodancer (with half beats) except your inputs are

shoot, pump, shoot, pump, shoot, pump, (reload, reload, dash, reload) dash, shoot, pump, shoot pump.

and just playing the game feels like you're playing an improvised instrument . It's sublime at creating the flow state of rhythm games and the roguelike systems seem solid (though I'm only early)

It's also pretty unique as a roguelike in that performing well scales your rewards received from each of the rooms, so the initially approachable early levels remain engaging as you try to keep your combo going to maximize rewards.

Oh and it has Quake style strafe jumping if you're into that.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hashy posted:

Oh and it has Quake style strafe jumping if you're into that.

And a giant dancing parakeet sells you stuff.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

there is a very loud and very annoying school of thought in current gaming criticism where making games that are not violent, confrontational, or even particularly exciting or intense in any way is held an inherently superior and ethical approach to game design.

I am much more plugged into the board game than video game scene so this is the first I've heard of this.

Mainly, I just don't think Wingspan has interesting choices. There are 4 rounds, each with one fewer main action. First round has 7, last has 4. Each round has a random short term goal that gives you enough points that pursuing it is worthwhile, so that directs your focus for the first 2.5-3 rounds. the last 1-1.5 rounds, though, mostly consists of taking the "lay eggs" action over and over, cause each egg is worth 1 VP, and in our ~3 games x 4 players plays, no one could find an action that gave more points/action.

So most of the game you're focused on short term goals that punish taking divergent paths, and the last ~20% of your main actions are the same. the 4th round could be mostly eliminated without loss of gameplay.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Sleeveless posted:

As other people touched on when I posted Terra Nil there is a very loud and very annoying school of thought in current gaming criticism where making games that are not violent, confrontational, or even particularly exciting or intense in any way is held an inherently superior and ethical approach to game design. This makes it incredibly hard to get a good read on whether a game that fits into that criteria is actually good or just something that people are praising or signal boosting out of some sense of moral or social obligation, especially when it's a game that is superficially related to a greater issue like ecology or mental health.

Not to say that these aren't valid or even admirable ideas, or that games that are actually good can come out of such pursuits. But it does make it hard to separate the signal from the noise whenever one of them comes out and is suddenly getting a lot of attention with no real deeper praise or discussion beyond the fact that it's "chill" or "relaxing".

I think that trying to draw a similarity between the medium of video games and the medium of board games like this is inherently disingenuous. In my opinion the issue with Wingspan within the medium of board games is that board game awards are extremely entrenched in decades of bias towards economic engine games (“euro”games). Effectively Wingspan was board game “Oscarbait”.

At what level do you think that game design criticism is failing us when describing “chill” games? In my view there are three levels of responsibility in games design criticism;
Do you think that Tim Rogers or Noah Caldwell Gervais are failing?
Do you think that Jeff Gerstman or Jason Scherier are failing?
Or do you feel that user reviews from you and I are failing?

e: Okay, I hope you can excuse me. I'm going to make some reductive assumptions about your opinion here.
I'm guessing that your view is that there is a failure at 'level 2' or 'Corporate reviewers' in one of two ways,
a) Corporate reviewers are not reviewing many of these games causing the responsibility for doing so to fall down to 'level 1'. I would argue that it is not a random user's responsibility to understand game design enough to be able to describe why they enjoy a game in depth. (I would also argue that this category actually shows there is a level 2 criticism bias towards higher intensity games.)
b) Corporate reviewers are failing to provide high quality reviews of 'chill' games. I would argue that this is due to economic/time pressure. I mean, this is why Tim Rogers keeps leaving 'level 2' criticism because he really wants to be able to do 'level 3' criticism. In addition, I would argue that higher intensity games aren't receiving better reviews at this level.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 18, 2020

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

so they brought BER Bausimulator to Steam as well.

quote:

A simulation game making fun of Germans not being able to build an airport in their capital city for over 16 years now. Are you able to do better?

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/256801488/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1600441415

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Has anyone give Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk a try yet?
I've watched Splattercat playing the first map but games can really change after that.
Turn based comedy rpg
Looks pretty good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/970830/The_Dungeon_Of_Naheulbeuk_The_Amulet_Of_Chaos/

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

OgNar posted:

I've watched Splattercat playing the first map but games can really change after that.
Turn based comedy rpg
Looks pretty good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/970830/The_Dungeon_Of_Naheulbeuk_The_Amulet_Of_Chaos/

It is pretty bad, as of now. Every half hour or so, I get a freeze that makes me have to kill the process, and this has been widely reported by others on steam. The humor is great, if you’re a misogynist or 13-15 years old, otherwise it’s easily the most unfunny game I’ve ever played. Eg: there is an NPC named Binsc, with a giant miniature space hamster named Moo. An NPC says “I used to be an adventurer like you till I took an arow to the knee.” The bimbo elf says “why does everyone want to put their hands in my pockets.” The party leader says “all these girls are naked under their clothes! Oh no, must focus.”

However, the gameplay is pretty good, except their is a weird lag when you try to move, the keypresses are not always responsive, some of the stats and equipment don’t work or give the proper bonuses, and it’s very punishing- like a version of XCOM where you will miss or be dodged if your to-hit is lower than 75%, be dodged if lower than 85%, and every other attack is a critical fail where you heal the enemy and damage yourself. Also lots of typos and things not translated from French. (French dev team).

I’m a sucker for games like this, but play something else until it gets patched a few times. Fort triumph and the dark crystal tactics game are both better than this at the moment, and both of those are simply mediocre.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Why the gently caress is there no manual or tutorial in BPM?! When you mash up that many ideas it isn't obvious how any of your poo poo basically functions. I'm decent at roguelikes, fps and rythm games but this isn't working.

For the record I can't believe I'm complaining there ISN'T a tutorial. I expect not to know interactions and poo poo of that ilk but basic movement and distance etc should at least be explained. For example why does it say "too far" and then when I move farther away it can shoot?

Tl;Dr: what obvious poo poo am I missing? It is such a great concept.

_____! fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 19, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Alamoduh posted:

It is pretty bad, as of now. Every half hour or so, I get a freeze that makes me have to kill the process, and this has been widely reported by others on steam. The humor is great, if you’re a misogynist or 13-15 years old, otherwise it’s easily the most unfunny game I’ve ever played. Eg: there is an NPC named Binsc, with a giant miniature space hamster named Moo. An NPC says “I used to be an adventurer like you till I took an arow to the knee.” The bimbo elf says “why does everyone want to put their hands in my pockets.” The party leader says “all these girls are naked under their clothes! Oh no, must focus.”

However, the gameplay is pretty good, except their is a weird lag when you try to move, the keypresses are not always responsive, some of the stats and equipment don’t work or give the proper bonuses, and it’s very punishing- like a version of XCOM where you will miss or be dodged if your to-hit is lower than 75%, be dodged if lower than 85%, and every other attack is a critical fail where you heal the enemy and damage yourself. Also lots of typos and things not translated from French. (French dev team).

I’m a sucker for games like this, but play something else until it gets patched a few times. Fort triumph and the dark crystal tactics game are both better than this at the moment, and both of those are simply mediocre.

Well, that sucks.
Thanks for the truth.
I'll check back with it in 6 months or so then.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

I am much more plugged into the board game than video game scene so this is the first I've heard of this.

It's just sleeveless doing their garbage opinion thing, ignore.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I've got something like 16 hours in star renegades now, I almost kinda bounced off it for a bit, but once you understand the depth of the systems and get some experience it opens up.

It still took me like 12 Runs/deaths (varying success) to get past the 2nd world and I can only do it with one team so far until I unlock some other equipment.

It being roguelite instead of roguelike allowed me to play buzzed today and if I wiped, oh well, still progressing.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

_____! posted:

Why the gently caress is there no manual or tutorial in BPM?!

Tl;Dr: what obvious poo poo am I missing? It is such a great concept.

-Put coins into the collection plates scattered around levels to upgrade your stats - the UI that comes up looks confusing but its really just a series of bars that are filling up for each of the stats.
-Boss abilities that must be dodged or jumped (eg the ground-covering ability and walls of light on the first boss) are signposted on your animated rhythm cursor. They fall between beats so you want to dodge or jump just before they hit the center diamond
-The range on guns before you upgrade your character is very limited, forcing you to get in close

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've got something like 16 hours in star renegades now, I almost kinda bounced off it for a bit, but once you understand the depth of the systems and get some experience it opens up.

It still took me like 12 Runs/deaths (varying success) to get past the 2nd world and I can only do it with one team so far until I unlock some other equipment.

It being roguelite instead of roguelike allowed me to play buzzed today and if I wiped, oh well, still progressing.

Yeah, I think I took about that many hours to get through it the first time. It has a surprising longevity for its low price, and it's been fun grinding relationships for more classes. The 3rd world gets a bit away from me because of the party size, but otherwise it's been enjoyable. The time I reached the 4th world, it was like an XCOM victory lap, dunking on the enemy with ridiculously gear and stats. It was pretty cathartic.

Also, we're getting another Serious Sam on the 24th. It's the fourth one, maybe fifth one? Serious Sams numbering scheme is weird. Nothing since Second Encounter has looked fun anyway, other than the pixel RPG parody a few years ago, but this trailer had me at AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iok7lSET91Q

The time is right. DOOM has shown that the classic shooter genre isn't where nostalgia has to die. All Sam needs to do is not crawl up his own rear end like Duke Nukem. I want to run backwards and dump infinite ammo into an endless horde with a couple of friends. If they can capture that mayhem again... One can hope, right?

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

OgNar posted:

Turn based comedy rpg
Looks pretty good.

Its not exactly a NEW release but it got more attention because of a recent humble bundle thing this year.

Battle chasers nightwar has phenomenal art and decent writing, even if its a bit of a traditional RPG experience.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/451020/Battle_Chasers_Nightwar/

fake edit: apparently its on a random sale too?