Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I was digging through our back room and ran across this old thing which I have apparently been hanging on to for nearly 30 years (expires August 1994!):

(Click for huge.)

One thing that's kind of interesting is that they vectorized the screenshots to have smooth lines, including the Mario sprite. And they made the moon pissed about the star instead of sad about it. I wonder if those images came from a strategy guide or other official art, or if they were created for this box of noodles. I wonder what the other Power Tips were. Here's the in-game screenshot (with some dumb smoothing filter on, sorry, it was the best I could find):

One of my favorite games of all time is M.C. Kids for the NES. I used to post about it a lot here, and back in 2007, someone here on the forums got in touch with me. They said they worked at NST with Dan Chang, one of the creators of the game, and offered to get me in touch with him. He agreed to sign my cartridge and mail it around to the other main devs, Gregg Tavares and Darren Bartlett, who also signed it before mailing it back to me:

Fun fact: In the M.C. Kids prototype from 1991, Darren was credited as Daroon.

What kind of dumb, valueless old gaming crap do you have laying around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I went to Canada's Wonderland and played Tetris and Mario 3 before anybody else at my school, and I still have proof

More info:

I also got a huge stuffed ninja turtle and I puked on the viking ship ride. Best day ever.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Holy poo poo, I don't think I knew about that SML2 secret level.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

got a mario shampoo bottle standing around, has been there for ages. found a picture of it on some guy's blog: https://otakuahora.blogspot.com/2006/08/mario-shampoo-bottle.html

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Not my pic but I have this exact Mario lunchbox and thermos. I found it at a yard sale like 7 or 8 years ago

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I have a Starfox Adventures car air freshener somewhere brand new in the packaging. I gotta dig to find it but if I do I'll post a pic.

HMC
May 18, 2009

Just in terms of stuff I have in my room, I've got this old Mario ruler from when I was a kid:

Also, this lenticular Mario Kart 64 pencil case:
https://imgur.com/a/XnmpIsV

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I have a pack of promo tissues for Final Fantasy 12. I got them from the fancy bookstore where I worked at the time. I can’t imagine who thought that was a good advertising strategy.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If Yakuza has taught me anything, it's that tissues are advertising material in Japan.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The game "Bill's Tomato Game" has a surprise gift from Heinz in it! I wonder what it is. Is it money? Is it a free game? Is it world peace?

No, it is a lovely squeeze pack of Tomato ketchup

Also got this kickin' rad Contra IV puzzle that I think came in an issue of TOTAL! magazine (British Nintendo magazine)

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
That Mac n' Cheese reminded me of a drawer in my childhood dresser that I forgot about for years.

I hate to tease, but I don't have time to go through it at the moment. I'll definitely be taking pictures this weekend though, because this is what I saw when I opened it:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You Am I posted:

The game "Bill's Tomato Game" has a surprise gift from Heinz in it! I wonder what it is. Is it money? Is it a free game? Is it world peace?

No, it is a lovely squeeze pack of Tomato ketchup

Also got this kickin' rad Contra IV puzzle that I think came in an issue of TOTAL! magazine (British Nintendo magazine)

These cross-promotions weird me out. Did the little "surprise gift from Heinz" label sell more games? Did a grody packet of ketchup that you could as well have gotten from McDonald's sell any bottles of Heinz? Who benefits? How did that happen? What was the meeting like?

Also you gotta get that puzzle framed on your wall, that rules. Look at that guy's neck.

Moai Ou posted:

That Mac n' Cheese reminded me of a drawer in my childhood dresser that I forgot about for years.

I hate to tease, but I don't have time to go through it at the moment. I'll definitely be taking pictures this weekend though, because this is what I saw when I opened it:

I see some Power Tips in there, but they don't look like they're on a Mac and Cheese box.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

You Am I posted:

That puzzle is badass

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
So, yeah, I had a lot of stuff in that drawer. But then that reminded me of more crap in my basement, so now I have more pictures to take.

Anyway, here's the first batch of stuff:

Two figures made by Applause. I'm guessing the Koopa Paratrooper had a base with a spring like the Raccoon Mario from McDonald's.

Speaking of McDonald's Toys... Someday I'll find a complete hopping Paratrooper.

Mega Man & Fire Man from the short-lived Ruby Spears cartoon.

A Mario paint pen from, I want to say, Apple Jacks? I think there were four altogether.

A very '90's Game Boy watch.

I got this for my birthday one year, but the batteries were dead. Then my dad refused to buy batteries for it :(

I wore this a few times before realizing how inconvenient it was to pop open the cover whenever you wanted to check the time.

More Power Tips from Kraft's Super Macaronio & Lucheesi

Why did I keep these?

Mario cookie cutters. But that is NOT Luigi.

Hello fourth-grade valentines! These folded up to hold included 3 Musketeers bars.

Now I can pretend to be the uncle that works at Nintendo.

Oh god, I think I wore this keychain as a necklace because I was a super-cool kid.

The opposite side had a cool (& hard to photograph) Mario holograph.

I'll post more stuff later.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol all that stuff is awesome. I loved that lovely Mega Man cartoon when I was a kid.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Moai Ou posted:

I need to know what that Super Mario Bros 2 thing is

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Looks like it’s these sticker cards

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173965086172

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ah okay. Thanks. I love Super Mario 2 memorabilia.

I have this Super Mario Bros 2 mug that I love. It fits like three 12 Oz beers and weighs at least five pounds. The pic is blurry but the image is razor sharp. I find it really hard to believe Nintendo actually made this but the image is on the mug just like I remember all those 1980s mugs had. I've washed it like 100 times so if it's a fake, it's the greatest fake I've ever seen.

Edit: looks like it's real: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284000506217

I legit can't believe this is official merchandise from back then. If you dropped this thing it would shatter your flooring.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 19, 2020

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That beer mug kicks rear end. I don’t have any gaming drinkware but I have a vintage 1990 Homer Simpson coffee mug which I use pretty much every day

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah there's no way this was meant for kids

Video game paraphernalia for adults wasn't a thing in the 1980s so this one really is a head-scratcher.

It's the highest quality piece of glassware I've ever seen. I have a couple of beer steins/mugs and none of them have glass as thick as this thing.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Indeed, it is one of those sticker cards. I have all 33. I also have some of those weird cards with the scratch-off spots, but I can't find them atm.

These cards are neat because they have some non-stock art on them. What's up with that off-model Birdo?

They have helpful tips on the back like, um, press B to make Mario jump.

SPLAT!

Of course, there's stock art cards too.

Great Tiger lookin' all :chloe:

Hell, same, Mario.

I also loved Zap Pax cards, even though I didn't have an NES (I was a weird Commodore 64 kid)

The art quality varies:

How about some Dixie cups with a loose narrative?

Weird colors for Bowser & Princess Peach Toadstool

Nintendo pins! That Luigi cookie-cutter was a bad redraw of the skateboarding Mario.

I found these at a flea market when I was a kid. Someday I'll have to track down the rest. There were even some Legend of Zelda pins!

I have enough stuff for another post that'll come later; including something rare and Earthbound related.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Okay, here's my last batch of stuff.

Remember EarthBound? It's back in POG form! This is not the rare EarthBound thing I mentioned.

The back of an old box of Apple Jacks:

Stickers!

Really Big Stickers! These are 6x6 inches.

Nintendo Sticker Book

All the character names are scrambled for you to decode with red cellophane.

I remember getting a sample of these educational Mario flashcards in the mail.

It's me. I was the idiot kid that loved this movie.

I'm pretty sure this has popped up in the forums before. It has some wonderful out-of-context pictures.

And lastly, this thing, which is the most valuable thing I have in all my dumb collections by a country mile. There's maybe 20 known to exist. I paid a $1 for it at the mom & pop rental place I went to as a kid. They've been known to go for $1200+ when they appear. It's not in the best shape, but I need to get this thing in a frame so it can go back on my wall (and so I don't have to sweat bullets while handling it). I love it, and have loved it since I was a kid. I don't think I could ever part with it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i used to mess around with that sticker activity book with the red cellophane thing at a friend's house all the time, i think i still remember the solutions to those puzzles too

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I still have an Automobili Lamborghini 64 leather jacket I won from getting 2nd place in a Nintendo Power contest when I was a kid. It's a nice jacket in excellent condition as I never wear it. My dad had enough sense to tell child me to order it in large.

I had a Red Alert 2 poster I got in 2000 depicting Soviet zeppelins laying waste to the NYC skyline including the World Trade Center. That came down real fast in 2001.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
That's an awesome collection. Thanks for sharing all the pics!.

I remember as a kid having a Super Mario Bros The Movie sticker book. I so desperately wanted to fill the entire book that I actually mailed the company cash for the stickers I needed. I did this like three times, the third time they never sent the stickers. Probably a sticky fingered mailman who saw crumpled up money through the envelope.

Amazingly I can't find it on ebay. The stickers were all the size of baseball cards and were all scenes from the movie and you stuck them on the black and white scenes inside the book.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

GEE I WONDER WHERE IT COULD POSSIBLY BE

gently caress, I haven't thought about those sticker books in twenty years

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I had this sick rear end Planescape Torment poster:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/solivagant/3160280375

I dumpstered it with a bunch of my life, but it's still an amazing piece of artwork.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

StoryTime posted:

I dumpstered it with a bunch of my life, but it's still an amazing piece of artwork.

It's no plain scape that's for sure!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

quote:

I thought I might be the only person who has that paint pen. It was definitely from a box of cereal.

In 1989, Super Mario Bros. had a segment during Ice Capades 50th anniversary national tour. I got to see this glorious thing in person when it surprisingly visited my neck of the woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuuhn2cfVUE
(Skip to about 1:30 for the performance.)

What the video doesn't highlight is that this had a bit of audience participation. They asked for kids to come down to the floor for the chance to ride in the bricks. A local TV personality told my group we'd be next, but there was no next.

I still have the program and pennant from the show.

The program is in a box at the bottom of the closet. I don't remember what kind of Mario content is in it, but if anyone's curious I'll try to find it.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 8, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Luigi with a hand cannon will never not be hilarious.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

StoryTime posted:

I framed that poster and my wife said "O.K., I know I said you could display anything you framed, but can you please not display that hideous thing"

(I still have it, of course)

She was cooler about this poster being displayed

(fun fact: I was on a "track down original gaming art" kick after brokering the deal for Brian Fargo to buy the original Wasteland art, and I got as far as finding the guy who painted this, but he said he had sold the original about ten years earlier, and asked if I wanted to buy pencil studies. I could not figure out how to say "that sounds incredibly boring" in a kind way so I am not sure I responded back)

The coolest, oldest, gaming memorabiliaist thing I owned was an authentic SSI/Mastertronic(!) dual-sided keychain, which sadly broke off my keys and disappeared a few years back, and I can find no proof of its existence anywhere despite its sheer randomness suggesting to me it was indeed real.

Most of my weird gaming memorabilia is embarrassingly new. Like how I actually ordered the Rage 2 special edition that came with the hideous head that Andrew W.K. voiced (equal parts loving Andrew W.K. and knowing Rage 2 was going to be good).

I do have a copy of Everquest: Ruins of Kunark signed by most of the development team, given as a reward for having the "coolest costume" at EverQuest Gathering II in St. Louis (we had transparent signs with our names on them held over our head with dowel rods; cosplay competition was minimal in 2000)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
This is a huge and awesome share but

"Jumping" Mario? I don't think Mario is jumping right there.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Mario - sniffing own farts

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

peter gabriel posted:

Mario - sniffing own farts

:wrong:

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
It was the 80's. They couldn't exactly call it "Mario Selfsuck."

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I finally found this stupid thing

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Hang it in your fursuit I guess.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

What does Starfox Adventures for the Nintendo GameCube smell like?

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

ColdPie posted:

What does Starfox Adventures for the Nintendo GameCube smell like?

Disappointment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Catellite posted:

Disappointment