Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

They always had really nice set design on Cryptkeeper too. Tons of cobwebs and the heavy creaking doors and dusty books and all that stuff.

Yeah! To add to this post and your last, seasons 2 & 3, which gave the Cryptkeeper more to do, like dressing up as a chef and chopping up foods with a cleaver, gave it a lot of life.

I'm still a big fan of Are You Afraid of the Dark's host segments. The organic use of a group of kids with their own dynamics and interests getting together to hear one of them tell a story is such a great way to introduce a story and its themes without a talking head stare into a camera. If I were to do an anthology series or film, I would probably steal that format: group of people with distinct personalities telling stories to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

a bunch of chuds posting horror stories on a dead gay forum will be my horror anthology format

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah! To add to this post and your last, seasons 2 & 3, which gave the Cryptkeeper more to do, like dressing up as a chef and chopping up foods with a cleaver, gave it a lot of life.

and of course

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't blame Kassir for going for broke. Remember when the Jerky Boys got a movie?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

a bunch of chuds posting horror stories on a dead gay forum will be my horror anthology format

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

Hey Kvlt! have you seen Bag Boy Lover Boy, you'd probably like it

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I used to hide during the opening for Tales From The Crypt because the puppet popping out was so scary to me as a kid. I'd say it worked.

Oh man, same. I'd have my finger hovering over the "last" button on the remote to flip to some other channel, and try to hold out as long as I could without pressing it. I usually gave up when the camera was going down the winding staircase into the crypt. Some of those old episodes really stuck with me since I didn't see a lot of horror as a kid. The one where Joe Pesci gets split in half stuck with me for years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Franchescanado posted:

I'm still a big fan of Are You Afraid of the Dark's host segments. The organic use of a group of kids with their own dynamics and interests getting together to hear one of them tell a story is such a great way to introduce a story and its themes without a talking head stare into a camera. If I were to do an anthology series or film, I would probably steal that format: group of people with distinct personalities telling stories to each other.

I mean that's how Dead of Night did it and that movie loving kicks rear end.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I mean that's how Dead of Night did it and that movie loving kicks rear end.

Dead of Night does in fact kick rear end. It's still new-to-me, so that wrap-around slipped my mind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I like how the original Tales From the Crypt movie handled it, where you do have a "host" of sorts who is telling the stories about each person in the group. So you're introduced to this group of people and then you learn more about who they are as each story is told.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Deb of Night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AcfyuoyOkg

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Is there a horror movie that references Aleister Crowley or the place he was supposed to summon demons - Boleskine House, Loch Ness? The house was also owned by Jimmy Page.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Lumbermouth posted:

Oh hell yeah, the Gourley and Rust horror podcasts are a) not going to be Stitcher Premium, b) doing Patreon early releases and bonus episodes and c) GOING ALL YEAR ROUND.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattGourley/status/1305908632815415301

So, I read a comment that says the Halloween episodes on Stitcher Premium are probably not becoming free. After listening to the Friday episodes earlier this year, I had been holding out hope! So, looks like I may be watching the Halloween pretty quickly as I try to fit in all 13 episodes in my free trial of Stitcher Premium.

Oh god, for as much as I love the original and Season of the Witch, I am not a fan of anything else in the series that I have watched.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Twin Cinema posted:

Oh god, for as much as I love the original and Season of the Witch, I am not a fan of anything else in the series that I have watched.

You'll be in good company!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

alf_pogs posted:

the version I saw of Drive was pirated but the score was literally just a lot of Badalamenti's music from the Mulholland Drive score dumped over the top. it felt a little cheap but I always wondered if it was the mock-up cut prior to the real score

go find a non-screener version of the movie; the score in the finished movie is one of those batshit crazy good generation-defining scores, and while not having it probably doesn't outright kill the movie, it's definitely a huge part of the appeal

did it at least have Nightcall and A Real Hero or...?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Twin Cinema posted:

So, I read a comment that says the Halloween episodes on Stitcher Premium are probably not becoming free. After listening to the Friday episodes earlier this year, I had been holding out hope! So, looks like I may be watching the Halloween pretty quickly as I try to fit in all 13 episodes in my free trial of Stitcher Premium.

Yeah, they pulled the Friday episodes from free circulation when this was announced, so I ended up making a free trial account and downloading all the Voorhees/Myers episodes with the Unofficial Feeds link that was posted upthread: https://unofficialfeeds.com/

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Hey Kvlt! have you seen Bag Boy Lover Boy, you'd probably like it

this ones been on my list for a while but i havent gotten to it yet. Gonna throw it on tn!

Also you havent seen Drive if you watched it without the soundtrack. Its a definitive part of what makes it so amazing.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Franchescanado posted:

You'll be in good company!

I found I was largely in agreement with them in their Friday takes, although I loved Part 5 more than them.

Lumbermouth posted:

Yeah, they pulled the Friday episodes from free circulation when this was announced, so I ended up making a free trial account and downloading all the Voorhees/Myers episodes with the Unofficial Feeds link that was posted upthread: https://unofficialfeeds.com/

Oh, this is great! This is exactly something I need. I prefer keeping all of my podcasts in the same app.

e: I am still seeing the Friday episodes as being up. My phone downloaded most of them, for some reason, yesterday.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

BisonDollah posted:

Is there a horror movie that references Aleister Crowley or the place he was supposed to summon demons - Boleskine House, Loch Ness? The house was also owned by Jimmy Page.

I’m sure there are, but the only thing popping to mind right now is Tourneur’s Night of the Demon (aka Curse of the Demon) where the antagonist Julian Karswell is a Crowley analogue.

Oh, the character of Mocata in The Devil Rides Out is also based on Crowley.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: Inland Empire vs Videodrome, FRIDAY, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1930 EST Videodrome
2110 EST Inland Empire

:spooky: Dream Warriors vs Faust, SATURDAY, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1930 EST A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
2115 EST Faust: Love of the Damned

:rip: A very special SUNDAY CHILL STREAM on the CineD Discord :rip:
:spooky: Featuring Blade 2 vs The Devils :spooky:

0710 EST Paul Verhoeven's The Fourth Man
0900 EST Fassbinder's Querelle
1100 EST Les Garcons Sauvages
1300 EST The Neon Demon
1510 EST Knife+Heart
1700 EST Liquid Sky
1900 EST Blade 2
2105 EST The Devils

:spooky: The Human Vapor vs Audition, MONDAY, on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1930 EST The Human Vapor
2110 EST Audition

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 18, 2020

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Hollismason posted:

An actress for the horror movie Mirror Mirror is Rainbow Harvest. If we're discussing odd names.
It's her real name!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Basebf555 posted:

The thing with Cryptkeeper is that it's a great puppet. So even through the stupid puns you can enjoy a really cool, gruesome looking puppet.

Which of course is something the guy who voiced the Cryptkeeper never wanted to admit, he thought people loved his voice work more than the puppet.

It was a shame when I saw the awful shape the puppet was in when they pulled it out of storage and tried to restore it (for what, I can't remember... was it like a one-off special or did the Cryptkeeper host something?). All the expressiveness was gone, it just looked really stiff and plastic compared to the original mold. Like, did they not have the same brand of foam rubber or whatever to recreate the skin that had rotted? Did they even try, or did they just use what they had?

It was like seeing the new Chucky puppet in Cult and Curse, like it just takes something away from the experience. Kevin Yagher made some really distinct and iconic horror puppet designs, and it's a shame that those designs aren't still around and/or being used for whatever reason.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

King Vidiot posted:

It was a shame when I saw the awful shape the puppet was in when they pulled it out of storage and tried to restore it (for what, I can't remember... was it like a one-off special or did the Cryptkeeper host something?). All the expressiveness was gone, it just looked really stiff and plastic compared to the original mold. Like, did they not have the same brand of foam rubber or whatever to recreate the skin that had rotted? Did they even try, or did they just use what they had?

It was like seeing the new Chucky puppet in Cult and Curse, like it just takes something away from the experience. Kevin Yagher made some really distinct and iconic horror puppet designs, and it's a shame that those designs aren't still around and/or being used for whatever reason.

I think that was the simpler puppet they used for this dtv monstrosity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHuYnsfGucg

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

I think that was the simpler puppet they used for this dtv monstrosity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHuYnsfGucg

Good god almighty.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I wonder what the original Phantasm script was like? The deleted scenes from the original that show up in 4 seem really out of place even if they were in the original film.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Origami Dali posted:

and of course

I know the intended point of focus is the butt, however I am completely impressed with how much articulation there is on CC's eyes/brows. In just that one shot, you've got articulation on lower and upper lids, and two points of articulation on each eyebrow to make them raise/lower and pinch between them. Add the jaw movement and the puppeteer really working the head, and it's a pretty amazing performance for a bunch of plastic, metal, wires and rubber.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
"is the focus the crypt keeper or the butt" is, and I seriously am not joking, an amazing point of concentration. I mean that, and am not making fun of the observation. This is the kind of insane question that could only ever come up in this thread which is one of the only threads I read (badly and irregularly)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Its bullshit Tales from the Crypt isn't on HBOmax. I mean I know it's probably a right's issue but it'd be nice to watch the episodes streaming. I think they were streaming somewhere at one point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Actually, it seems not. Not seeing any evidence they went anywhere outside of dvd releases.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

We need to get a kickstarter going to get this movie made for real.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

BisonDollah posted:

There's a few films that shoehorn in a reference to Crowley in passing, but as far as a more solid mention, I want to say there is but I can't remember titles for the life of me. Same goes for mention of Boleskine. I don't remember anything naming the property specifically, but there's been a few that mention a property was owned by Crowley but not naming it proper.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I remember seeing some movie that directly dealt with that stuff but I can't remember what it was and I know it was terrible.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

A quick Google search found me a movie called Chemical Wedding that sounds totally bonkers.

"Upon entering a VR machine, Professor Oliver Haddo, a modern Cambridge scholar, becomes possessed by the spirit of the infamous occultist Aleister Crowley, as the machine's program has been corrupted by a former follower of Crowley. Resurrected 50 years after his death, Crowley begins his occult practices anew, seeking a new "scarlet bride" whom he can marry in an occult ceremony which will increase his power."

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I'm behind per usual, but I liked Babysitter 2. Not as much as the first, but still fun. Also rewatched Secret Window and that was alright. Has a nice vibe / atmosphere to it. Depp in a role like that and in 9th Gate is really, really good. I like it.

Also annoyed that my watchlist shows literally all movies not being available in the Netherlands, or on unknown subscription sites. Yet, they are available on Netflix / Prime in the US. (I have both)

Blue Velvet, Possession, Alucarda, Pit and the Pendulum, Host, The Lodge, Baskin, Basket Case, House, One Cut of the Dead, The Thing, Come to Daddy. Gimme!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
looks like Antebellum isn't worth the rental fee. Kind of a bummer, was looking froward to checking it out even with the bad reviews, but not for 20 bucks

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

!!!!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

at least on amazon. haven't checked elsewhere, but probably not much different

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That's the new thing due to the death of the theater industry. Releases are getting a period of time similar to what a theatrical release would be where they are charging full price for a rental, then after a while it goes down to the usual $5.99 or whatever.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
I’m glad someone in this thread recommended Dave Made A Maze, it’s fun and creative, and it looked like it was a blast to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Oh, I suppose that's fair (although sucks for people who live alone like me). $20 is like 3 cinema tickets in the UK.