Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'd just go with a m.2 enclosure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I've never had a problem with the an SD card being the primary booting mechanism. I have the 256gb samsung evo, i think, whatever the best on the market is. Samsung Choice is also recommended. I wish I bought the 512 instead.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
The power to my RPi got cut midway through apt upgrade and now I'm not getting any video output from it, is there any way to recover the Raspbian installation without re-installing from scratch?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
if you have a linux machine handy you might plug in the card and run fsck on the card's filesystems to see what state it's in and try to fix any issues. or you could flash another card with raspbian, boot up the pi and try using fsck on the bad card (using a usb card reader). i have a feeling the root file table was hosed during the power cut and the card probably doesn't even show up as having any filesystem. at that point you're looking for data recovery tools if there is super important stuff on it, but even that might not be viable. if it's data you can lose, I'd just nuke the card and start over fresh.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Unless you def can’t lose what’s on it, in which case an RPi ain’t the right choice, you should just restart from scratch. Reinstalling stuff you already know you need doesn’t take long.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I tried fsck to no effect, also apparently I need to jump through a bunch of hoops to upgrade the distro on my Linux machine because you can't update a machine that's >6 months out of date for some insane reason.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lazyhound posted:

also apparently I need to jump through a bunch of hoops to upgrade the distro on my Linux machine because you can't update a machine that's >6 months out of date for some insane reason.
What in the world are you talking about? This is not true in any major distro.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

It is for non-LTS Ubuntu.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I think there you just can't skip versions. So just upgrade to the next version in line and then update to the latest version.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

You can’t without manually editing configuration files to point to alternative repositories and to disable compatibility checks, which I managed to botch due to an awkwardly-worded tutorial. I ended up just flattening and reinstalling.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lazyhound posted:

It is for non-LTS Ubuntu.
Non-LTS Ubuntu releases are only supported for nine months and then are removed from the repositories. If you haven't updated in six months there's a reasonable chance your version is EoL.

The process for changing over to the old release archive repositories is simple and well documented though (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades), so I'm not really sure what's awkwardly worded there.

In the end, don't run non-LTS Ubuntu on systems you want to be able to ignore for months on end. It's not intended to that.

CFox posted:

I think there you just can't skip versions. So just upgrade to the next version in line and then update to the latest version.
In theory with any Debian-style system you ideally should be able to upgrade from any to any directly, but doing so is not officially supported by any of the distros because it's just impractical to test.

Ubuntu officially supports skipping versions only when upgrading from one LTS release to the next. Skipping over versions when going to or from non-LTS versions or jumping two or more LTS versions at a time puts you in uncharted territory.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
sounds like a great time to install a better distro :smug:

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
ubuntu is a hack, yea it's okay (if you want to use it like a windows pc) but its the noob distro. get better, or not. lol, and the sidebar has 'the Amazon app' in Ubuntu still right. God that shows where their priorities are.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ubuntu has a GUI?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Warbird posted:

Ubuntu has a GUI?

k I will play the pedantic card. Ubuntu comes with a DE that used to really suck, but is now Gnome, which also sucks imo. But you can edit .xinitrc to exec whatever you want. I do like booting into the console, without the login manager. I'd love to have a headless RPi but Im not sure for which purpose.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You gotta really want something shiny not to go with the latest LTS release of Ubuntu

Ubuntu got firmware updating ability I think with 20.04 LTS, at least the Kbuntu release did anyways, that was pretty cool to update my Thinkpad's firmware using a GUI in linux for the first time ever, only time in recent memory I installed a non-LTS since 9.10 or whatever was the last version to come with "netbook remix" UI which I guess was the earliest functional prototype (but totally incompatible) of Unity

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a raspberry pi 3b with DreamPi installed. It's a tool to let the Dreamcast get online without needing an actual dial up connection.

Anyway, I'm trying to get it to work with a wireless USB adapter I bought. It's this one specifically:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H28H8DU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_1qZQRnoEmW9LK

When I run ifconfig, it doesn't list any wireless adapters as available (just eth and lo).

From reading reviews this should be supported out of the box but is there something im missing?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I have a raspberry pi 3b with DreamPi installed. It's a tool to let the Dreamcast get online without needing an actual dial up connection.

Anyway, I'm trying to get it to work with a wireless USB adapter I bought. It's this one specifically:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H28H8DU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_1qZQRnoEmW9LK

When I run ifconfig, it doesn't list any wireless adapters as available (just eth and lo).

From reading reviews this should be supported out of the box but is there something im missing?

The top question with an answer was:

quote:

Does it work with Raspberry Pi B+?
Answer:MANUFACTURER COMMENT: Due to an update to the RTL8188EUS chipset, Linux compatibility is diminished with the adapter including on the Raspberry Pi. There are some third-party open-source projects that seek to have better functionality under Linux with this chipset, but we cannot validate or vouch for these options. At this point we do not consider Linux a supported platform. see less
By Andy on December 3, 2019

This is four years after their previous reply saying it was plug and play with rasbperry pi. The Pi 3B has wifi internally so I don't know if it's needed, but I don't know why it wouldn't show up in your interface list.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Check dmesg when you plug it in and see if it logs anything

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
set up pi with docker, portainer, pihole. feels nice. what are some other cool and useful projects

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

barkbell posted:

set up pi with docker, portainer, pihole. feels nice. what are some other cool and useful projects

Are docker and portainer there to support pihole, or something else?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I assume they’re running PiHole in a container and portainer is there to have a GUI to manage it and any other containers. Depending on your network setup that may be the way to go.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
pihole and portainer are both in containers. portainer is there for babys first container management tool. i dont necessarily need docker but the ability to plop a container where i need at some point will be nice since i plan to move the pihole to a pi zero. also i want to get docker experience since we dont use docker at work.

i also set up home assistant in a container last night as well and started configuring that with the couple smart home items we own.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 8, 2020

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Is there any reason I should use 64 bit PiOS on my Pi 4? I'm inclined to run normal 32 bit just because I need to be able to build things in 32 bit. That's because of a lot of buggy as hell build setups that freak out extpecting 64 bit to be x86-64.
I only got the Pi 4 because i wanted the 8GB of RAM, and Raspbian / PiOS has a tiny memory footprint. My Jetson Nano is a disaster when it comes to RAM. With the 4GB plus a swap partition it still freaks out at the slightest thing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

General_Failure posted:

Is there any reason I should use 64 bit PiOS on my Pi 4? I'm inclined to run normal 32 bit just because I need to be able to build things in 32 bit. That's because of a lot of buggy as hell build setups that freak out extpecting 64 bit to be x86-64.
I only got the Pi 4 because i wanted the 8GB of RAM, and Raspbian / PiOS has a tiny memory footprint. My Jetson Nano is a disaster when it comes to RAM. With the 4GB plus a swap partition it still freaks out at the slightest thing.

I guess it would depend if you expect a single process to use more than 3GB of RAM. The 64 bit OS supports that but 32 bit does not.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You definitely want to run 64 bit, just fix the build system (easier said)

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

xtal posted:

You definitely want to run 64 bit, just fix the build system (easier said)

Yeah... If I had a dollar for every time someone's code I was building exploded because of datatype size related issues on arm64 I could probably buy something pretty nice.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Is there a specific thread for home assistant? I just bought a raspberry PI, sd card/reader and a router/cable setup so I can start making a smarthome without Jeff bezos watching me masturbate.

I have some python and Linux experience so I figure it won’t be too bad. Philips hue stuff is apparently all compatible with the system so custom lighting will be my first thing, followed by a sensor/camera setup.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Is there a specific thread for home assistant? I just bought a raspberry PI, sd card/reader and a router/cable setup so I can start making a smarthome without Jeff bezos watching me masturbate.

I have some python and Linux experience so I figure it won’t be too bad. Philips hue stuff is apparently all compatible with the system so custom lighting will be my first thing, followed by a sensor/camera setup.

I think some folks in the home automation and security system thread use it.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Rexxed posted:

I think some folks in the home automation and security system thread use it.

Oh sweet- thank you!

Looks like a lot of possibilities.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

gently caress I need another flash drive for this thing

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

gently caress me my power source slipped and now after re-attaching it nothing seems to work. I just get a red light.

Do I need a new SD card? I’ve re flashed it several times.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If you've re flashed it, I assume its recognized and read/writable from another computer, but the Pi isn't booting from it?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

xtal posted:

If you've re flashed it, I assume its recognized and read/writable from another computer, but the Pi isn't booting from it?

Yeah just a solid red light which means power but no bios to boot from right?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Is it a Rpi4 I assume?

Possible the EEPROM is corrupted...

See here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

Scroll down to the Recovery section.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Alright turns out the disk could be saved, I just needed to d/c the power supply before re inserting it after another re flash. And it worked!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Whoops

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 20, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

One question though: I have a MacBook and iPhone and no other electronics with a display. What’s the easiest way to directly interact with the PI for a shutdown or whatever? I know how to use ssh but apparently ssh is disabled by default apparently.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

One question though: I have a MacBook and iPhone and no other electronics with a display. What’s the easiest way to directly interact with the PI for a shutdown or whatever? I know how to use ssh but apparently ssh is disabled by default apparently.

put a file called ssh (no extension) in the root of the SD card and SSH will be enabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

put a file called ssh in the boot partition. yer done.